As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    And make sure as you build the base bigger, you reinforce the base with bulkheads or else it'll spring leaks.

Oh man did I ever find this out the hard way. I've got a decent little base going now, but when I first tried to set it up I made too many pieces with no reinforcements at all. Since I had no idea where to find lithium at the time, I had to deconstruct most of it and build a bunch of foundations so the thing didn't tear itself apart.

How exactly does durability work, anyway? Is it just a cap on the maximum number of pieces that you can have before running into issues?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    jothki wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    And make sure as you build the base bigger, you reinforce the base with bulkheads or else it'll spring leaks.

Oh man did I ever find this out the hard way. I've got a decent little base going now, but when I first tried to set it up I made too many pieces with no reinforcements at all. Since I had no idea where to find lithium at the time, I had to deconstruct most of it and build a bunch of foundations so the thing didn't tear itself apart.

How exactly does durability work, anyway? Is it just a cap on the maximum number of pieces that you can have before running into issues?

If your durability goes into the negative, your habitat will start springing leaks. The leaks will eventually flood the habitat and it will not be suitable for use as a base until you repair it (and provide sufficient durability to prevent more leaks).

edit - more details: each piece that you add to your habitat (that's not foundation, a bulkhead, or reinforced wall sections) reduces your durability.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there an easier way for me to find sandstone than just blindly looking around? I know what both limestone and sandstone look like, and it seems sandstone is easier to find the deeper you get (which is kind of a pain in the ass in early game when you need deposits from sandstone to make stuff to be able to go deeper easier).

Also salt deposits, easiest way I found to find them is on the ocean floor where there's a lot of creepvine, which is getting me enough to get by but I can't really say I have water "for days". Is this sort of what I can expect until I can build the water filtration system (I also know I can make filtered water with the fish) .

Edit: almost right after I post this I found some sandy biome with red grass that seems to have more.. although also contains a nasty goose of a creature.

BladeX on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    If you don't care about the realism and you want to make a pretty base that's 90% glass, there's a cheesy way basically eliminate the pressure mechanic.
    The pressure isn't dynamically applied to different areas of your base or anything, the entire base is treated as one unit, and it either passes or fails the pressure-check based on the scores of what parts are included in its structure. So if you put a couple Multipurpose Rooms connected to the base anywhere, and you just build a reinforcement on every single wall in those rooms, you'll gain crazy hull integrity.

I like bulkheads for flavor though.
    BladeX wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there an easier way for me to find sandstone than just blindly looking around? I know what both limestone and sandstone look like, and it seems sandstone is easier to find the deeper you get (which is kind of a pain in the ass in early game when you need deposits from sandstone to make stuff to be able to go deeper easier).

Also salt deposits, easiest way I found to find them is on the ocean floor where there's a lot of creepvine, which is getting me enough to get by but I can't really say I have water "for days". Is this sort of what I can expect until I can build the water filtration system (I also know I can make filtered water with the fish) .

Edit: almost right after I post this I found some sandy biome with red grass that seems to have more.. although also contains a nasty goose of a creature.

Have you found the blueprints for the scanner room yet? IIRC they're around the same areas you find Sandstone. It's less a matter of pure depth and more a matter of what biome your in. I get most of mine from the kelp forest and the red grassy plateaus. Once you can build a scanning room, that'll help you find what you need really easily no matter what it is.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    If you don't care about the realism and you want to make a pretty base that's 90% glass, there's a cheesy way basically eliminate the pressure mechanic.
    The pressure isn't dynamically applied to different areas of your base or anything, the entire base is treated as one unit, and it either passes or fails the pressure-check based on the scores of what parts are included in its structure. So if you put a couple Multipurpose Rooms connected to the base anywhere, and you just build a reinforcement on every single wall in those rooms, you'll gain crazy hull integrity.

Have you found the blueprints for the scanner room yet? IIRC they're around the same areas you find Sandstone. It's less a matter of pure depth and more a matter of what biome your in. I get most of mine from the kelp forest and the red grassy plateaus. Once you can build a scanning room, that'll help you find what you need really easily no matter what it is.

Not gonna lie, I can't really see shit in the scanner room. I have one built in my base near the kelp forest and all it seems to do when scanning is eat all my power.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    You need to make the scanner room HUD chip. Then whatever your scanner room is scanning will be highlighted for you as you swim around.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Plot questions:
    Found the island with the ruined bases so finally got blueprints to start making actual rooms. I found three different ruins on the island and various numbered audio logs scattered about them. There are three different numbered series named after different guys but I've got gaps in each series. Are they all meant to be on that island? The above ground exploring isn't great.

And is there a way to highlight scannable stuff on the sea floor? I find it hard distinguishing generic wreck from scannable tech and I'm worried I'm missing things.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Plot questions:
    Found the island with the ruined bases so finally got blueprints to start making actual rooms. I found three different ruins on the island and various numbered audio logs scattered about them. There are three different numbered series named after different guys but I've got gaps in each series. Are they all meant to be on that island? The above ground exploring isn't great.

And is there a way to highlight scannable stuff on the sea floor? I find it hard distinguishing generic wreck from scannable tech and I'm worried I'm missing things.

Re: your spoiler
    There are more. If you listen to the logs, you'll note they talk about leaving the island for resources.

As for scannables, not really. The small white crates often have stuff in them. Otherwise you need to just look for stuff that seems out of place.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    So last time I played I didn't use the PRAWN much because it had just be added. This thing is amazing.

I just dived mine down into the Jellyshroom Caves to drill gold, lithium, and magnetite deposits. Then used the grapple arm to climb back out.

Garthor wrote: »
    You need to make the scanner room HUD chip. Then whatever your scanner room is scanning will be highlighted for you as you swim around.

I guessed as much. Guess that's next priority then.

Though I do worry about energy. Does adding more solar collectors help keep the energy from being quickly devoured or is it a on/off thing? Because my try at scanning ended up with me coming back to find my habitat with no power left and having to sit on the surface until dawn kickstarted my solar collector again.

Drascin wrote: »

Though I do worry about energy. Does adding more solar collectors help keep the energy from being quickly devoured or is it a on/off thing? Because my try at scanning ended up with me coming back to find my habitat with no power left and having to sit on the surface until dawn kickstarted my solar collector again.

Might want to invest in more robust power generation. Either a bioreactor (just toss plants and fish and eggs in there), or if you have the temperature range for it, a Thermal Plant (anything above 15c)

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Plot questions:

Active highlighting in general no (though the scanner room can be told to look for fragments), but unless they removed it you get a hud indicator when your crosshairs are on something scannable. Sadly it doesn't distinguish between fragments you still need and fragments that are gonna hand you some titanium because you already have it.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited January 2018
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Might want to invest in more robust power generation. Either a bioreactor (just toss plants and fish and eggs in there), or if you have the temperature range for it, a Thermal Plant (anything above 15c)

I just made a bioreactor. Worth it to make some interior planting things in order to have a renewable supply of emergency reactor feed, do you think? I did bring some potato seeds from the last excursion.

Don't have the thermal plant blueprints. Currently still poking around trying to find stuff on my Seamoth, but the depth limit is a bear.

Drascin on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It is very worth it to give the bioreactor a dedicated plantbed. Unless they tweaked the numbers for release, lantern fruit appears to be the optimal fuel, for as little food/water it gives it provides a solid chunk of power, plus you can put a single tree in one of the small pots and never have to replant it.

:edit: yeah, wiki still has lantern fruit at 325 power a pop.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    It is very worth it to give the bioreactor a dedicated plantbed. Unless they tweaked the numbers for release, lantern fruit appears to be the optimal fuel, for as little food/water it gives it provides a solid chunk of power, plus you can put a single tree in one of the small pots and never have to replant it.

...wait HOW much? Nice! I actually planted two potatoes and two lantern fruits in one of the interior planter thingies, they haven't grown yet, but if that's how it goes planting some trees seems a good plan.

Either way, when I get home this afternoon to play I probably will need to keep working on exploring mushroom forests. I imagine I need this Cyclops thing to get under 200m, and I keep running into cliffs where there is clearly stuff at the bottom (such as what look like giant toother tubeworms).

...wait HOW much? Nice! I actually planted two potatoes and two lantern fruits in one of the interior planter thingies, they haven't grown yet, but if that's how it goes planting some trees seems a good plan.

Either way, when I get home this afternoon to play I probably will need to keep working on exploring mushroom forests. I imagine I need this Cyclops thing to get under 200m, and I keep running into cliffs where there is clearly stuff at the bottom (such as what look like giant toother tubeworms).

I'm at or just behind the same stage as you and I've got a Seamoth upgrade to let me go to 300m.

Wiki says:
    Look for plans for a Vehicle Upgrade Console in data boxes in wrecks.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I haven't been lucky enough to find that upgrade, then. That's something to look forward to. In wrecks I seem to mostly find furniture up to here. Maybe now that I finally found some diamonds I can cut open some closed doors and find better loot. Pity I don't remember where half of them were.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    I've found a bunch of Cyclops upgrades, two Prawn arms and precisely zero Seamoth upgrades. Be nice to find something I could use for the vehicle I actually have.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I found out last night that you can build scanner rooms on their own, put a access tube on it and a hatch, stick a few solar panels on top and you have an independent scanner station.

I plan to build a chan of them, to scan for wrecks and resources.

I think you can only scan for resources you've scanned with your hand scanner, though.

• BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I haven't found that yet no, I've only put about 3 hours into this game after having it for a long time and kept going "I should really play that" once full release came around I figured give it a shot, and I've managed not to spoil myself on anything so going in blind.

Good to know there is such a room though to make things easier.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Now that I've gotten my hands on a bunch of blueprints for good base stuff, I've finally been able to expand my base to include a bioreactor and gardens. It's a bit slapdash and it's still in the shallows, but it's home.
    EF49814999DCA63C2762191785C9CD281E6301F5

CE88FC5B34E67E05DB034BEEC16DF979045E5829

I really don't understand the rules for placing habitat elements. Like, why can't I place here? Who knows! So my bases are tiny things with mishappen shapes mostly based on "where does the game allow me to build" and organic growth.

Anyway, today instead of exploring I mostly built a second advance base with a scanner. Set a bioreactor in it too to feed the scan and a battery charger.

The plateau nearby where there seems to be fuck all but sand does not give me good vibes, though. "This area has an unusually low level of biodiversity due to unknown reasons" is probably not good for me.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I really don't understand the rules for placing habitat elements. Like, why can't I place here?

Is there anything built on the wall in that connector, like a locker or your fabricator? Connections change the shape of the walls sometimes, and it won't let you add them if there's anything in the way.

QPPHj1J.jpg

There is another way to highlight what the scanner room finds (I was just tinkering around with the scanner room last night after having never built one in the entire time I've had the game):

Step 1) Scan for material
    Step 2) Use the remote camera (while you're controlling the camera, the scanned material will have HUD elements highlighting their location)
    Step 3a) Place camera next to the material you scanned for
    Step 3b) If there are more than one harvestable node, place the *other* camera on the other node (if you have more than 2 nodes, this may get a little tedious)
    Step 4) Exit the camera control

Now you have HUD elements with the location(s) of the camera(s) that you just placed next to the material you were scanning for (and can now turn off the scanner).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

There is another way to highlight what the scanner room finds (I was just tinkering around with the scanner room last night after having never built one in the entire time I've had the game):

Step 2) Use the remote camera (while you're controlling the camera, the scanned material will have HUD elements highlighting their location)
    Step 3b) If there are more than one harvestable node, place the *other* camera on the other node (if you have more than 2 nodes, this may get a little tedious)

Now you have HUD elements with the location(s) of the camera(s) that you just placed next to the material you were scanning for (and can now turn off the scanner).

Yeah, that's how I've been doing it until getting the supplies for the in HUD scanner. It totally works until one of those sawtooths drags your camera away.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I'm loving reading the stuff people are discovering for the first time. Kinda wish I could play it fresh starting now

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    I really don't understand the rules for placing habitat elements. Like, why can't I place here?

Is there anything built on the wall in that connector, like a locker or your fabricator? Connections change the shape of the walls sometimes, and it won't let you add them if there's anything in the way.

There is a fabricator in that piece, but it's on the opposite wall. I wouldn't have thought that'd be a problem, but I'll try.

Then, probably experiment with vertical pieces and ladders. Then see if I can find the mushroom forests again to see if I can find more blueprints.

I wish the scanner knew the difference between an open and a closed data box...

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2018
    I haven't been lucky enough to find that upgrade, then. That's something to look forward to. In wrecks I seem to mostly find furniture up to here. Maybe now that I finally found some diamonds I can cut open some closed doors and find better loot. Pity I don't remember where half of them were.

Beacons, Beacons, Beacons

If it helps many of the shallower/early wrecks are near lifepods.

MuddBudd on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I started playing this again a couple of days ago and am hooked. The biggest game changer for me was getting the Multipurpose Room and the indoor planters. Lantern Fruit and Bulbo Trees for food and water and potatoes for power.

I just finished building a Cyclops and getting it set up with food and water. I think I'm going to use it for a mining base with my PRAWN for the time being. Still need to find one more grapple arm blueprint, though.

Once I got the HUD upgrade, I realized how awesome this thing is. I needed stalker teeth, set it to scan, and after a few minutes of running around the kelp forest with a Seaglide, I came back with almost 20 of them.

The potatoes provide 375.

Hmmm, plot:
    I haven't had a distress call from my crew for a while so the only point I have to visit is the 500m proposed Degasi site. And I have a Seamoth that can go that deep, but I can't find the way in from either the underground cave the first Degasi site was in, or the trench with the teleporting squid guys. Minor nudge help?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Yeah, that's how I've been doing it until getting the supplies for the in HUD scanner. It totally works until one of those sawtooths drags your camera away.

Obligatory...
    qf6q9s1hj24m.jpg

Poketpixie on
    Whoops, I mistook the Mod station for the vehicle upgrade console. That explains a few things about why I wasn't able to make any upgrades for my Seamoth.

Found the blueprints to the Moonpool. Honestly, it seems like kind of an unnecessary room right now, because the charging is easier done via power cell charger, but it's swanky as all the hecks to just be able to legit park your seamoth.

I'm having some trouble with making vertical connectors and ladders though. I can place vertical bits no problem, and a multipurpose room on top, and ladders. But two problems appear. One, the bottom of the multipurpose room doesn't load from the outside. And two and more bothersome, I can't deconstruct the multipurpose room. I deconstruct the ladder, the vertical connectors, and such, but it keeps saying there are things attached to it.

Thankfully I had saved en minutes prior, so I could just quit and reset.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I always feel like it's cheating to build a planter on board the Cyclopes.

Land-plants shouldn't grow without exposure to sunlight.

As such I generally only plant them outside on the island or in shallows-based underwater stations with plenty of windows.

RT800 on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

As such I generally only plant them outside on the island or in shallows-based underwater stations with plenty of windows.

There's already so much cheating going on in regards to everything else. Properly designed bulbs should be the least of your concerns.

RT800 wrote: »

Workaround:

the Cyclops is equipped with full-spectrum light bulbs.

Hmmm, plot:
    I haven't had a distress call from my crew for a while so the only point I have to visit is the 500m proposed Degasi site. And I have a Seamoth that can go that deep, but I can't find the way in from either the underground cave the first Degasi site was in, or the trench with the teleporting squid guys. Minor nudge help?

I'm going to do this in a series of more revealing spoilers.
    There are several entrances to the area they built in (and certain deeper areas). But keep in mind where their homebase was.
    There IS a connection from the Blood Vines area, but they went pretty much straight down.

Full Reveal:
    Explore the Grand Reef, the area directly below the Floating Island. It has blue orbs on vines.

Found the blueprints to the Moonpool. Honestly, it seems like kind of an unnecessary room right now, because the charging is easier done via power cell charger, but it's swanky as all the hecks to just be able to legit park your seamoth.
    The moonpool is entirely necessary because it is the only room you can put a vehicle upgrade station in to be able to recolor and rename your seamoths and PRAWNS. And also I guess upgrade modules but lets be honest here, looking good is the important part.

edited January 2018
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Hmmm, plot:

I'm going to do this in a series of more revealing spoilers.
    There are several entrances to the area they built in (and certain deeper areas). But keep in mind where their homebase was.
    There IS a connection from the Blood Vines area, but they went pretty much straight down.

Full Reveal:
    Explore the Grand Reef, the area directly below the Floating Island. It has blue orbs on vines.

Just be careful in
    the Grand Reef

I was running around there in my Cyclops, checking out a rock outcropping in my dive suit when I saw something in the distance and praying it didn't see me (it did).
    first time I've had a ghost leviathan hunting me.

EDIT -
    The moonpool is entirely necessary because it is the only room you can put a vehicle upgrade station in to be able to recolor and rename your seamoths and PRAWNS. And also I guess upgrade modules but lets be honest here, looking good is the important part.

Can't you also install the upgrade modules via the Cyclops docking station? There's an upgrade station there for whatever vehicle you have docked with the Cyclops.

Erlkönig on