As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] [new Ahri skin to fund the year] / [cervitaur dating sim activated]

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Continuing my top Sion placements today,
    Game 1: 3 salty teammates bickering with each other so much I had to mute them, 4th constantly saying things like "I don't get this elo" and "omg this elo"... *eye roll* Odds of him actually being a smurf are probably equal to his win rate, let's see top 2 played champs 29% & 20% win rate, yup that matches the attitude. And to top it off team was Eve Zoe Ez Bard into Nasus Jax Xerath Tristana Leona, bllleehh. Game went as well as champ select and their attitudes

Next game we pick another squishy comp (Shaco Morg Ez Zil vs Nasus Eve Fiddle Jinx Taric) but AD switched to Twitch when I pointed it out and luckily, despite Morg desperately forcing a level 1 invade the team had said no to and dying and flaming, we stomped the game. Well, until 25 minutes (10k gold up, 6 towers to 0, etc) when Shaco AFKed. Without him we then got Baron, aced them with no deaths 4v5, took top inhib + nexus turrets, and later managed to have them with literally no turrets. It drug out to 48 minutes but we couldn't seal the deal and lost.

Hash.Tag.Placements.

Silver (hah!) lining, I'm consistently winning lane and early in game 2 I TPed into the dragon pit and picked up a double kill (and we killed 4). It felt like graduating into a real top laner, haha.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Whelp. Got promoted to Scrublord Silver IV on a game where I did nothing but Lulu-buff my teamates. I felt so carried that game. :(

This is still gonna be a long climb...

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Yeesh. Six losses in a row before finally getting my first win of the day.

Awful winrate aside, I'm feeling relatively good about Zyra. I'm not necessarily doing super great, but I don't feel like I've been awful either, and I've only felt totally helpless in lane once (against a Nami). I'll probably unlock her after the free week ends, especially since Leona gets banned semi-often. (I also need to learn a backup support tank, but there don't seem to be a lot of options...mostly just Taric or Alistar of the ones I either own or are cheap.)

Here's a general support question. What are you supposed to do when all your team's wards are dead and all the enemies are MIA? Getting vision up is crucial but usually when I try I just end up dying horribly. What's the right play in that scenario?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

Awful winrate aside, I'm feeling relatively good about Zyra. I'm not necessarily doing super great, but I don't feel like I've been awful either, and I've only felt totally helpless in lane once (against a Nami). I'll probably unlock her after the free week ends, especially since Leona gets banned semi-often. (I also need to learn a backup support tank, but there don't seem to be a lot of options...mostly just Taric or Alistar of the ones I either own or are cheap.)

Here's a general support question. What are you supposed to do when all your team's wards are dead and all the enemies are MIA? Getting vision up is crucial but usually when I try I just end up dying horribly. What's the right play in that scenario?

If you know that there is an objective up that is worth fighting over (baron and some of the dragons) then you should ping wildly and try to get people to go check it out. If there isn't an objective worth playing around, you should be able to hold off until at least most of the other team is visible. Either way you shouldn't be wandering around solo in dangerous territory just to place wards your allies are just gonna ignore anyway :snap:

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Dying while warding as Zyra used to happen a lot to me.

Now I only, while Zyra, place safe wards (eg over a wall that an enemy would have to have vision over and then flash over in order to kill you, but they probably won't). Slowly advance the line of vision rather than walking through huge unwarded territories. Does this mean you won't make it to ward baron? Sometimes, yeah. Hopefully your adc or whoever else will have a blue trinket and ward baron instead. Or you move as a group to all check it out together, but you might not be able to organize that.

I like Nautilus as a Leona-ish support, but he's not necessarily super strong at the moment. He does a very similar thing, though.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular

For Zyra in particular, remember that you can use plants to scout ahead as well.

Maokai is a good Leona-ish back-up support tank (although his ult is much weaker in a lane), and Sion works pretty well but doesn't play anything like Leona. Shen has become more meta in that role in at least Korea, and Poppy still kind of works into a dive-heavy comp.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I havn’t really gotten a chance to play him versus humans yet, but I think I kinda want to learn Rakan as a Leona backup? He seems to be similar, except he has a heal.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Here's a general support question. What are you supposed to do when all your team's wards are dead and all the enemies are MIA?
    Blame the jungler.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Here's a general support question. What are you supposed to do when all your team's wards are dead and all the enemies are MIA?
    Blame the jungler.
    From what I remember based on the last time I tried jungling this is basically the universal response to all problems. Barista got your coffee order wrong? Blame the jungler.

PMAvers wrote: »
    I havn’t really gotten a chance to play him versus humans yet, but I think I kinda want to learn Rakan as a Leona backup? He seems to be similar, except he has a heal.

I guess? He's kind of squishy, though. And can disengage. Leona doesn't run.

Me elsewhere:
    Ivellius wrote: »

For Zyra in particular, remember that you can use plants to scout ahead as well.

Maokai is a good Leona-ish back-up support tank (although his ult is much weaker in a lane), and Sion works pretty well but doesn't play anything like Leona. Shen has become more meta in that role in at least Korea, and Poppy still kind of works into a dive-heavy comp.
    Ivellius wrote: »

Is support Maokai a thing? I did used to play him, but I've only seen him top or jungle lately. And I'm not sure what the deal is with E and R these days.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    in what world is having a big demon arm a disability

liEt3nH.png

yeah no that's complete bullshit; having a fuckoff demon arm is *sweet*, not a problem

I wonder if they realized it was sort of a bad look for them getting rid of the physical disability of their only disabled character

plus it was just so interesting; definitely part of what makes Swain so compelling is the whole concept of this limping dude wading into battle; it also made his silhouette/movement really distinctive

really poor design choice even though everything else they did is basically fine by me

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Maybe it's a spooky void arm that tells him Demacia is a pretty nice place if he gave it a shot.

butts
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    All of his pairs of gloves are wasted now, have some sympathy.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    You can win a 4v5 placement match if you believe hard enough

I maintain that Veigar is OP

We were winning the whole time so it was kinda like...welll.....let's just keep winning I guess, right?
    I took two-three bot towers in one big veigar split push...although we never got that inhib
    And here I was thinking that playing placements after a couple of glasses of wine would be a disaster

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

yeah no that's complete bullshit; having a fuckoff demon arm is *sweet*, not a problem

I wonder if they realized it was sort of a bad look for them getting rid of the physical disability of their only disabled character

plus it was just so interesting; definitely part of what makes Swain so compelling is the whole concept of this limping dude wading into battle; it also made his silhouette/movement really distinctive

really poor design choice even though everything else they did is basically fine by me

Worse, in a way. The insight post mentioned how he still got his leg injured in a fight, as evidenced by a barely visible leg brace on his new model. Because disabilities are fine as long as they're aesthetically badass or barely visible! :rotate:

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Worse, in a way. The insight post mentioned how he still got his leg injured in a fight, as evidenced by a barely visible leg brace on his new model. Because disabilities are fine as long as they're aesthetically badass or barely visible! :rotate:
    Don't worry, League of Legends still has plenty of representation of disabilities with as many Vayne, Riven, and Yasuo players there are.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Bah. Just had my best opening ever as Zyra (got like 3 or 4 kills in the first couple minutes while they couldn't touch us), but Vayne DCed at level 5 and our jungle Nidalee refused put in any effort at all. If she had helped while we were still up three towers and a ton of kills we might have had a chance.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    You probably had a better chance than you did with a Vayne weighing you down tbf :bzz:

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    Ok, my smurf account (ended season Silver 1 with mid gold mmr) went 4-6 in placements and placed Silver 2, that is, exactly the same as my main. Not really sure what to make of that. I tend to only play on my smurf if I've dodged already on my main, or if I'm a bit impaired for whatever reason (drunk, tilted, etc); it's also not allowed to play botlane, which is in theory my best roles, and it also doesn't own very many champions. But I do about the same on either account, even though one has more of a tryhard mood to it.

4-0 on Nautilus so far. Maybe I should just be a Nautilus one trick.

butts
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    4-0 on Nautilus so far. Maybe I should just be a Nautilus one trick.

Everyone thinks Nautilus is just a tank.

Then he one shot comboes your carry from the support position.

Yeah in the last game I played I was against a Gnar. Neither of us were at full health since we had been scrapping it out and my Zac pings that he's on the way. Once he's close enough I all in with ult and hook and just...killed him. Just kinda...alright then nevermind.

That game was actually the best kind of stupid. Nautilus/Zac with a Sivir for ADC to just throw out damage behind a big beautiful tank line while Soraka and mid lane Sona pumping out heals and shields for an eternity. I did eventually die once but that was also after getting engaged on and eating every cooldown so they just wiped immediately after. One of us could just fuck off and chase someone out of a fight and there was still a mega tank just sitting there putting a body on everything.

butts
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    ARAM taught me that Ziggs' satchel charge will interrupt Naut's hook drag. Spent a delightful game interrupting every engage he tried.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Things I learned this weekend:
    Remakes count as “games played in solo queue”
    Picking Janna almost always results in salt from the other team-either in all chat or post game lobby

I started my placements (mainly because the mission for free xp was expiring in a few hours) last night. I don’t want to talk about the individual results as to not jinx the remaining two games. But overall I’m happy with my performance and the overall impact I’ve had on the games. I do want to talk about this one game though.

Maokai, Rammus, Veigar, Varus, Janna (me) against Nasus, Udyr, Ziggs, Kalista and Rakan. While we are waiting for minions to spawn we are about how much problem their Udyr will be late game, but i chimed in and said just kite back when he comes in and we will be fine. Our Mao says “bro this is silver ain’t nobody got the skill for that” and for about 22 minutes he’s right. We are down 5600 gold as we transition into the team fight stage. But we have the map lit up like time square and we are manipulating waves like bosses. We lose two in a skirmish around dragon and they push out bot, then mid and then turn to baron. By then we’ve got respawns and I’m able to bait them out of the pit. The full damage Udyr beelinesfor me like I owe him money, but I kite back. I see my team collapsing. His team abandons him as he flashes on me, but I keep kiting and we put him in the ground. By the time the game ends 16 minutes later, we are up 6600 gold. But my favorite part happens in the post game lobby: I congratulate my team on kiting their asses off. And their Rakan goes “Janna players lul. Thinking they’re good”. I may record that whole game because it may be the best game I’ve ever played. Shot calling, map awareness and team play: I may not do it bette ever.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Haha you guys are nuts! I love that little dude, his voice cracks me up. I'd say he's in our top 10 favorite champs for me and the 3 people I introduced to League (not necessarily to play, but as in dear to our hearts). From my perspective League doesn't really have lore, so a little knockoff Black Mage cracking jokes about his insecurities in a funny voice is all I'm asking for. I literally laugh out loud every time I hear him say "Is dat a short joke?" Then again we also delight in things like Garen's yelling and Kog'maw noises - for example my brother only ever got to like level 23 and plays about twice a year now, but his ring tone for my sister is still Kog's "dun dun dun dun dun dun duuuuunnn") - so maybe we're just easily amused :p

haha, ok, actually I'm kind of delighted that people really like Veigar; I guess the whole thing with having 150 champions or so is that there are ones out there for everyone!

Kog'maw noises also completely horrify me and make me feel slightly ill, so I can never be the hypercarry I was meant to be because I won't play him (and I don't like Pugmaw. I do think base Kog'maw and most of his other skins are very cute though, as is his little song/tune)

kog maw is my jam. i love the little void doggo. though i really liked the machine gun kog more than artillery piece kog. machine gun was so fun, hitting people with all the attacks.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I thought I saw a cane still in the tyrant model for swain.

I do think it's a mistake to take the cane away, it was awesome to have a dude who was a bad ass limp into battle and then fuck everyone up.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    I thought I saw a cane still in the tyrant model for swain.

I do think it's a mistake to take the cane away, it was awesome to have a dude who was a bad ass limp into battle and then fuck everyone up.

I agree. When I think of swain I think of his cane walk and Beatrice. Aesthetically I think they missed the mark on keeping him as Swain instead of a new champion in Swains name.

MrGrimoire wrote: »
    ARAM taught me that Ziggs' satchel charge will interrupt Naut's hook drag. Spent a delightful game interrupting every engage he tried.
    Any displacement will interrupt any dashes that aren't unstoppable (Sion, Jarvan ult etc). However, most dashes are instant but delayed dashes can just avoid interruption. If Jarvan times his Q to cast basically when a Cho rupture hits him, he'll be knocked up and then get pulled to his flag. Same goes for Naut hook, Camille E, rocket jump, and Urgot tackle. It's an interesting layer of depth.

butts
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Is there a name for this special purgatory that I have to level through before I can unlock all the runes and do ranked play? Don't get me wrong; I'm no where near ready to play competitively yet. I'm still learning the basics like attack+move and what things like Lethality and Tenacity mean. But what is frustrating beyond not being able to try out the various runes that define builds is working with the silly geese in the queue. Look, we can't have two junglers. If you didn't call it first I don't think that writing "JG!!" in caps is going to work no matter how many exclamation marks you put there. I really like top lane Garen, but I've got mid Lux and support Leona in my back pocket. I mean, you have to be able to diversify right?

Speaking of support Leona, I built her super tanky as the guide I was following suggested, and then I got right into team fights and spreading sunlight and stuns etc across the whole team, but I didn't seem to do much. The other team built a lot of armor pen, and the enemy Garen did a great job shredding my armor. That being said even after I did my EWQR combo (spacing those out by a second for Ashe to get hits) I didn't know what to do while my abilities where charging. I had no AD or AP, so I don't think my AA were doing much. Felt kinda weird. Should Leona build a single offensive item or more? I think I need to watch more videos of her.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Is there a name for this special purgatory that I have to level through before I can unlock all the runes and do ranked play? Don't get me wrong; I'm no where near ready to play competitively yet. I'm still learning the basics like attack+move and what things like Lethality and Tenacity mean. But what is frustrating beyond not being able to try out the various runes that define builds is working with the silly geese in the queue. Look, we can't have two junglers. If you didn't call it first I don't think that writing "JG!!" in caps is going to work no matter how many exclamation marks you put there. I really like top lane Garen, but I've got mid Lux and support Leona in my back pocket. I mean, you have to be able to diversify right?
    Yeah, it's called Blind Pick :p It's definitely the worst queue, I kept track for a while and it's a lot more toxic than Draft Pick. I never touch it any more. Leveling sucks overall but get enough unlocked champs to play Draft pick and that will help a bit. Other than that, I strongly recommend doing "/mute all" at the start of every game while you level, and just focus on one goal each game (I'm going to win lane, I'll try to beat lane opponent by 20 CS, I'll be on the right side of the map for Baron, whatever). It gets a little better at level 30 but really you've gotta play enough games for the system to figure it out I'd say just go into ranked.

You should have all the runes though, yeah? I didn't think they were gated after the rework.

Is there a name for this special purgatory that I have to level through before I can unlock all the runes and do ranked play? Don't get me wrong; I'm no where near ready to play competitively yet. I'm still learning the basics like attack+move and what things like Lethality and Tenacity mean. ...

Get 20 champions so you can play Draft Mode. I think it's available once you have enough characters. (I could be wrong about that.)

Leona isn't meant to do a lot of damage, though if you take Aftershock that does help a bit. Playing support at low levels is so much worse, though, because you're so team-reliant. It sounds like you played your role more or less correctly.

Me elsewhere:

Speaking of support Leona, I built her super tanky as the guide I was following suggested, and then I got right into team fights and spreading sunlight and stuns etc across the whole team, but I didn't seem to do much. The other team built a lot of armor pen, and the enemy Garen did a great job shredding my armor. That being said even after I did my EWQR combo (spacing those out by a second for Ashe to get hits) I didn't know what to do while my abilities where charging. I had no AD or AP, so I don't think my AA were doing much. Felt kinda weird. Should Leona build a single offensive item or more? I think I need to watch more videos of her.

What can you do on support Leona while your stuff is on CD:
    -Keep autoing someone
    -interpose yourself physically between someone scary on their team and someone vulnerable on your team/move towards someone vulnerable on your team to get in position to protect them
    -walk after someone low on their team who is trying to escape
    -retreat

As support, because you've been sharing a lane and not csing, you will be lower level than the enemy sololaners, and you will likely have less gold/fewer items as well (not always. If your team is really ahead you can serve as a second full-strength tank). As such, you are simply going to be weaker than the enemy sololaners and not as durable as them either. That's ok! You aren't supposed to be able to 1v1 them. If you are feeling gated by cooldowns, make sure you are building more cdr. Often supports try to end up at 40 or 45% cdr so they can use their useful abilities more often, and they prioritize cdr over any other stat.
    I wouldn't build offense on Leona unless you're really ahead and feeling kinda punchy. Because you're starting behind the enemy sololaners due to the whole support xp deficit, it's best to spend your money on tanking up reasonably, as well as getting that cdr I mentioned.

Things to remember if you're feeling useless or de-synchronized as Leona: remember that your E can actually take you so far forward that people cannot follow up in time with an auto, especially if you started out ahead of them to begin with (or flashed forward). Make sure people are ready to follow up if you dive in. Ping first if you can so that they know. You probably can't solo the enemy adc or mid, so it's often not the best to dive in and stun them if no one's diving with them. You might consider being more of a bodyguard for your adc or mid instead.

Annnnd for the first time since Season 4; my placements have been completed. Last time, I got placed into bronze 4 and eventually carried myself to bronze 1. This go round I went 7-3; with a legit robut in my second game Sivir who had 53 CS by the time the game ended in 18 minutes. In game 10: a streamer doing bronze to diamond trolled around long enough for their Kat to become an unstoppable goddess of death, and our mid Azir brought his GP runes.

All that being said, I'm happy with how I did performance wise. I know I made a few mistakes along the way. Need to decide what I want to get out of this season.

edited January 2018
    What can you do on support Leona while your stuff is on CD:
    -Keep autoing someone
    -interpose yourself physically between someone scary on their team and someone vulnerable on your team/move towards someone vulnerable on your team to get in position to protect them
    -walk after someone low on their team who is trying to escape
    -retreat

I fixed this. Something was wrong with this list.

Back at @italianranma, though: don't underestimate the power of autoattacks, though, even on a support. Leona's Q cooldown is pretty low, and you can do an auto-Q-auto much more quickly than her attack speed would indicate. Also remember that if you land your ultimate, you get a few "empowered" autos that will add your passive onto people.

Edit: Only one of these was ranked, but I'm on a 6-game win streak going back to yesterday. It's been fun. Most recent was a game in which we were down for the first part of the match, but we kept cool heads, Corki split pushed, and we took advantage of not having anyone quite as bad as their ADC to win.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    This season I've decided to do something different.

I'm playing each champion in alphabetical order until I get an S rank on them, then moving on. I know that getting an S rank doesn't mean I've mastered a champion by any means, but it does mean that I probably have a solid grasp of their fundamentals.

With 139 champions, that means rotating through champs roughly every 3 days. I probably won't make it all the way through, but it's a fun little project.

Here's my progress so far:
    Aatrox- 2 games
    Ahri - 16 games (my god this was painful)
    Akali- 6 games
    Alistar - 2 games
    Amumu- 5 games

I'm generally on track so far, hitting 5 champs in 15 days from season start. I lose a fair amount of time to dodging queue if my champ gets picked/banned or if I'm given a completely incompatible role (I played Ahri support for example, but I was not willing to try Ahri ADC).

The champions I foresee giving me the hardest times are: Draven, Kalista, Lee Sin, Rek'Sai, Ryze, and Shaco. All of those champs have pretty unique play styles matched with high skill-cap mechanics.

I think this season will be fun!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    This season I've decided to do something different.

I'm playing each champion in alphabetical order until I get an S rank on them, then moving on. I know that getting an S rank doesn't mean I've mastered a champion by any means, but it does mean that I probably have a solid grasp of their fundamentals.

This reminds me of my challenge last year, which was to try to get boxes on champions in descending order of my mastery points. It mostly worked out, though there were occasions I didn't notice the box reset and ended up one on someone way down the list. At the reset, though, I think I had boxes on all of my 7, 6, and 5 champions.

Me elsewhere:
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Another blind pick, another game with two people arguing about who the real jungler was. Thankfully the other team decided on a bold new strategy of 3 top (Darius, Nasus, Gnar) to outrace us to the bottom. I played top (Garen) and started with Doran's to help with the poke and working towards Dead Man's Plate for my first item. And despite not receiving any help from either jungler I managed to hold my own at 2/2/0. They surrendered at the 15m mark (is that the earliest you can?) when our unopposed mid (Ahri) had a 4 level lead and 3.5 k gold advantage and just started deleting people.

Despite the overwhelming amount of Champions and items, and the steep learning curve, I really dig how precise the game's balance is. It's so complex, but things seem to work like a machine with precision interlocking parts. I just wish it wasn't so much of a grind to get started.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。