As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Hmmm, plot:
    I haven't had a distress call from my crew for a while so the only point I have to visit is the 500m proposed Degasi site. And I have a Seamoth that can go that deep, but I can't find the way in from either the underground cave the first Degasi site was in, or the trench with the teleporting squid guys. Minor nudge help?

I'm going to do this in a series of more revealing spoilers.
    There are several entrances to the area they built in (and certain deeper areas). But keep in mind where their homebase was.
    There IS a connection from the Blood Vines area, but they went pretty much straight down.

Full Reveal:
    Explore the Grand Reef, the area directly below the Floating Island. It has blue orbs on vines.

Just be careful in
    the Grand Reef

I was running around there in my Cyclops, checking out a rock outcropping in my dive suit when I saw something in the distance and praying it didn't see me (it did).
    first time I've had a ghost leviathan hunting me.

EDIT -
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Found the blueprints to the Moonpool. Honestly, it seems like kind of an unnecessary room right now, because the charging is easier done via power cell charger, but it's swanky as all the hecks to just be able to legit park your seamoth.
    The moonpool is entirely necessary because it is the only room you can put a vehicle upgrade station in to be able to recolor and rename your seamoths and PRAWNS. And also I guess upgrade modules but lets be honest here, looking good is the important part.

Can't you also install the upgrade modules via the Cyclops docking station? There's an upgrade station there for whatever vehicle you have docked with the Cyclops.

Oh, you can install upgrades anywhere, but you need the station to build them.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Found the blueprints to the Moonpool. Honestly, it seems like kind of an unnecessary room right now, because the charging is easier done via power cell charger, but it's swanky as all the hecks to just be able to legit park your seamoth.
    The moonpool is entirely necessary because it is the only room you can put a vehicle upgrade station in to be able to recolor and rename your seamoths and PRAWNS. And also I guess upgrade modules but lets be honest here, looking good is the important part.

How else could I ever produce this masterpiece of modern design?
    0A8D60D096056EA73365F22AC9DEC89DE5EC1D95

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    OH GOD MY EYES

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    OK, so be warned about tromping around on dry land with the Prawn. It's possible to glitch the game into locking the player and the Prawn suit into being considered on land under all circumstances (which means you can't swim to your ships, because you just walk around on the seabed).

The player can be reset to normal by dying (which isn't an option on the one-life mode, so it's a game-breaking glitch), but the only way I could get the Prawn suit to work right again was to destroy it and build a new one.

Not exactly a great way to spend an hour and a half.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    since when can you color the sea moth/other vehicles?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    since when can you color the sea moth/other vehicles?

Since a really long time ago. You have to build the vehicle modification station in the moonpool. The cyclops comes with a modification panel already installed.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Speaking of glitches:

Had my Cyclops (with attached Prawn suit) go into orbit last night. Sure, the Cyclops ejected me out of the bridge beforehand and I spent my time falling to the water (I was ejected at great height) watching the HUD locator for both vehicles fly off. At 9km, they had a change of heart and teleported to the lifepod.

...which was kind of awkward for the Cyclops, since that area is too shallow for it to navigate. Oh well...after much hull-scraping, I managed to get it back into deeper water.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Much as I like the cuddlefish, I wish they'd included a cat.

Maybe have somebody's cat have escaped in one of the lifepods and you rescue it.

Then you could have a cat in your base.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    OH GOD MY EYES

Oh Sorry. Yeah, that one's a bit much.

Is this any better? (Fair Warning, it's not)
    15939C6CAF6687935ABDDE47B2EE0F02EBC373BD
    It's really not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Being able to spot your bright red/pink Seamoth when your air is running low makes it a totally practical aesthetic choice.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Being able to spot your bright red/pink Seamoth when your air is running low makes it a totally practical aesthetic choice.

That's been my excuse.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    If you have multiple scanner rooms searching for different things do you get both come up on your HUD?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Oh. Still haven't found that module. Or even the normal modification station.

The mushroom forest seems decently productive in terms of finding wreckage. Does the scanner detect scannable blueprint pieces somehow, or just big wreckages? To consider building a scanner station.

...honestly failing to locate my Seamoth almost too long has happened a couple times, so you make a reasonable argument to just paint it bright caution-sign-orange when I do get the mod station.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Made a bunch of progress the last few days. Got a cyclops built, used it to drag my PRAWN around mining large deposits. (Mushroom Forest is the frigging place for copper, btw, when you have a drill)

Once I got stocked up on basic resources and the upgrades I could make, I took the northern entrance to the Lost River.

Plot spoilers for the next bit:
    Made my way back south to the lowest Degassi base, got the Research Facility, and the Secondary Research Site that takes the orange key.

After that, made my way to the Cove Tree area, and built a forward base for charging Power Cells and upgrading my PRAWN. Also, given that its right at the 900m mark, its the ideal place to come back to for further depth upgrades. Set up a small farm with Kelp and Acid Mushrooms too, just in case I need them later.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular

The mushroom forest seems decently productive in terms of finding wreckage. Does the scanner detect scannable blueprint pieces somehow, or just big wreckages? To consider building a scanner station.

...honestly failing to locate my Seamoth almost too long has happened a couple times, so you make a reasonable argument to just paint it bright caution-sign-orange when I do get the mod station.

First seamoth paintjob was a snazzy dark green. Parked in a kelp biome and dove into a piece of wreckage. New paint job is a bright yellow.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    edited January 2018

First seamoth paintjob was a snazzy dark green. Parked in a kelp biome and dove into a piece of wreckage. New paint job is a bright yellow.

Wrecks are terribly dangerous. I can orient myself inside of caves but holy shit do I get disoriented the moment a wreck starts doing twists and turns and the tubes block view.

Only time I've died in this game it was from being unable to find the way I came from inside a wreck that was actually not even that big. Well, I didn't so much die as look at my remaining twelve oxygen after spinning around for a bit with no success and go "yup, not making it out of here" and reloading.

Drascin on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The hazard of wrecks is that you think getting out will be as fast as getting in, when you should really be thinking that getting out will take at least as long as getting in, at least on the first couple of trips.

I haven't bothered with the pathfinder tool and haven't been killed by a wreck yet, but it's been a near thing a few times.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

Doesn't the Seamoth have its own waypoint? You can even change the waypoint color and everything.

I did lose a few mobile vehicle bays, though.

• Options
    Oh god, I just found the best wreck. In a single place I got blueprints for:

- the vehicle upgrade station
    - a better armored diving suit
    - the two fragments I was missing from the mod station
    - plant pots to put my new trees in
    - Some Cyclops module or other, I kind of stopped paying attention by then.
    - Various random furniture.

Now to get materials and build some of this stuff. I wish I knew where to get rubies.
    Lawndart wrote: »

Doesn't the Seamoth have its own waypoint? You can even change the waypoint color and everything.

I did lose a few mobile vehicle bays, though.

Yeah, but the waypoint doesn't show if you're within twenty meters of it or so. The best way to locate it, I've found, is to seaglide straight upwards until the waypoint shows then descend on it.

By the way, what are you supposed to do about these guys? I haven't dared just go out of my Seamoth and stab them in the face like I do with stalkers and landsharks and the like, but they're everywhere now and it's making exploing a pain in the ass.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    By the way, what are you supposed to do about these guys? I haven't dared just go out of my Seamoth and stab them in the face like I do with stalkers and landsharks and the like, but they're everywhere now and it's making exploing a pain in the ass.

Avoid them as best you can until (tech spoiler):
    You get either the stasis rifle or the repulsion cannon, which makes dealing a lot of undersea assholes a lot easier.

• Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular

Wrecks are terribly dangerous. I can orient myself inside of caves but holy shit do I get disoriented the moment a wreck starts doing twists and turns and the tubes block view.

Only time I've died in this game it was from being unable to find the way I came from inside a wreck that was actually not even that big. Well, I didn't so much die as look at my remaining twelve oxygen after spinning around for a bit with no success and go "yup, not making it out of here" and reloading.

Nowdays what I do in a wreck is a park my Seamoth as close to the entry as possible and then I go into one room deeper at time and then I go all the way back. It takes a little bit longer but you get a better feel for how long it takes you to go back.

This particular wreck was very small so what almost killed me was getting out with about 30 seconds of oxygen to spare and simply not finding the sub. Thankfully it was close to the surface so with about 5 seconds left I just pulled out the seaglide and gunned it. Made it with about 1 second left.

So yeah, bright paintjobs are a lifesaver.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Now to get materials and build some of this stuff. I wish I knew where to get rubies.

One of the distress signals is in the bottom of a ravine that's about 250m deep, and that ravine has a lot of rubies on the walls. I think it's the one about high value remains. Either that, or the one about Keen's last known location.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Man, I won't get into spoilers but this game does a really good job of getting its hooks into you with the Sunbeam plotline.

I also got the scanner room but having a hell of a time placing it. It wants to float above everything, will mess around with it more. It looks like you get all resources back deconstructing still?

Edit: it's to its.

BladeX on
  • Options

You get either the stasis rifle or the repulsion cannon, which makes dealing a lot of undersea assholes a lot easier.

Avoid trouble it is, then. It's just there seems to be a pile of these guys and it gets really annoying to dodge them all.

One of the distress signals is in the bottom of a ravine that's about 250m deep, and that ravine has a lot of rubies on the walls. I think it's the one about high value remains. Either that, or the one about Keen's last known location.

I did get one lifepod that was at the bottom of a 250m deep ravine - the wreck I mentioned before was right besides it. Keen's message, I'm pretty sure, which sent me to a rendezvous point that I'm pretty sure is the island I already have been to. But there wasn't a huge amount in that hole, looked like. I beacon'd the wreck so I can go recheck though.

Anyway, found some jellyshroom forest and could nab a little magnetite before running the hell away from some giant eels (I really wish I could scan things from a distance so I could know their names without exposing myself to being eaten). And so my Seamoth can now go to 500m, which is nice.

I need to make some polyaniline to make an electric defense system, though. And I have no clue how you make that. I could also make torpedoes, except that requires aerogel,

• Options
    Degasi plot seems to be done. Still only pootling about in my seamoth though. I've got a smattering of fragments for the others but nowhere near enough yet.

Getting a water distillation set up finally was a big relief, having to keep popping out for bleach components was getting dull.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I need to make some polyaniline to make an electric defense system, though. And I have no clue how you make that.

I'm in the same boat, but I think you need Deep Shrooms to unlock the recipe. I'm going to test that today.

Edit: Confirmed, the Deep Shrooms unlock it and Hydrochloric Acid.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    I need to make some polyaniline to make an electric defense system, though. And I have no clue how you make that.

I'm in the same boat, but I think you need Deep Shrooms to unlock the recipe. I'm going to test that today.

I'm glad you posted this I'd been passing those by assuming they were normal mushrooms under odd lighting rather than a different species.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I'm hitting a bit of a wall. I've created a seamoth, prawn and cyclops, but exploring in the cyclops is terrible because they get destroyed by leviathans in deeper water. Warpers destroy the seamoth. I'm also not getting any more plot prompts.
    I've seen sunbeam explode, been to the other island, but that's it.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    I'm hitting a bit of a wall. I've created a seamoth, prawn and cyclops, but exploring in the cyclops is terrible because they get destroyed by leviathans in deeper water. Warpers destroy the seamoth. I'm also not getting any more plot prompts.
    I've seen sunbeam explode, been to the other island, but that's it.
    Did you thoroughly explore the facility on the island with the Sunbeam? I found some locations of other places to check out in there.

• Options

I'm glad you posted this I'd been passing those by assuming they were normal mushrooms under odd lighting rather than a different species.

I got mine in the area with bloodvines and I recommend getting some blood oil while you're there, as it unlocks benzene. I didn't realize that and had to go back.

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    If you have exterior growbeds, I'd start harvesting seeds from all plants you come across and planting them. That way, should something need a specific seed for some future thing, you have them. If you slash a shroom or gel plant with a knife you get seeds you can plant. I have only ever needed like a plant or two's worth of seeds. Farming is useful for more than just food.

• Options
    These Ghost Leviathans are harshing my mellow. I'm trying to explore the Lost River and there was one in the Blood Kelp zone and now there's one roaming around down in the river.

• Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Avoid trouble it is, then. It's just there seems to be a pile of these guys and it gets really annoying to dodge them all.

My recollection is that they are attracted to light. Check the data entry for them, I might be thinking of another monster. But if it is them, just get comfortable working in the dark and they'll leave you alone.
    Anyway, found some jellyshroom forest and could nab a little magnetite before running the hell away from some giant eels (I really wish I could scan things from a distance so I could know their names without exposing myself to being eaten).
    With some care you can stay just behind their head, which gets you close enough to scan them and inside their turning radius. I wouldn't say it's low stress, but it is pretty safe. Use the seaglide if you start to get out of position, or when you're done.
    envoy1 wrote: »
    exploring in the cyclops is terrible because they get destroyed by leviathans in deeper water.
    Are you familiar with the noise mechanic? If not, most animals in the game hunt off either light or sound. Running without lighting (for everything) and as slow and quiet as you can (for the cyclops specifically) will let you avoid most things. Well, for values of avoid that occasionally mean throwing out a decoy and running until the engine freaks out.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    Made a cyclops! Not sure why but I could so I did.

The plot seems to have stalled entirely though. Nothing has called me for ages and I have no pings to explore. I guess I've just got to push deeper myself.
    Recently found the river so I guess I'll poke around up there and hope I find something interesting.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    So in regards to several things.

One - plot stalls. In the old builds after you explored the Mountain Island you'd get a location ping on your HUD for someplace deeper. Now that information is moved into the 'clues and hints' area of the PDA or something. You need to sort of guess where to go. I am not sure I like this change. It made it harder to track down where I needed to go.

Two - The cyclops and leviathan class predators. Noise and Light. Turn off the lights around Crabsquid. Around everything else, focus on minimal noise. Most smaller stuff should leave you alone. But you can pass right by a Leviathan with zero trouble if you turn on silent running and go slow. If you are still worried, install a shield module when you can and turn that on as you sneak by. Decoys can also be launched to distract them. All of this tech is accessible by Seamoth as long as you are careful.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    I poked around the Lost River for a while but only found a gate I couldn't activate. I was pretty heavy with resources by that point, so I headed back to base to build a proper crafting/storage room. I found some nickel and crystaline sulphur while I was down there, so I was able to get a jump jet upgrade and depth module for my PRAWN and upgrade my Cyclops depth module to level 2. Wondering if I should check out the lava area now or go back to the Lost River.

• Options
    Christ, the Kelp forest is creepy as all the hells. I've seen a couple of those things that look like Hydralisks with a tentacled lower half and which teleport roaming around. Thweird brain crabs are manageable, but those things worry me a lot, especially because I don't actually yet know what they DO. I feel so defenseless going around in my noisy and fragile Seamoth.

Also, earlier I went deep in an area with a big cliff and nearly got myself killed by like half a dozen of those armored shark assholes (I do need to learn what they're called at some point). I ran away with 25 health left, gunning it for the surface and the safety of a kelp forest as fast as the engine would take me. Annoying bastards.

• Options
    Gonna break this up by paragraph:
    Christ, the Kelp forest is creepy as all the hells. I've seen a couple of those things that look like Hydralisks with a tentacled lower half and which teleport roaming around. Thweird brain crabs are manageable, but those things worry me a lot, especially because I don't actually yet know what they DO. I feel so defenseless going around in my noisy and fragile Seamoth.

If you want to know what the brain crabs do, check the spoiler:
    They'll emit an EMP blast that'll set your Seamoth to 0% power and disable it (you can't get out of it, it doesn't generate oxygen, all you can do is sit there). This effects will expire after a few seconds and your power meter will reset to what it was pre-EMP, but it is disconcerting when it happens
    Also, earlier I went deep in an area with a big cliff and nearly got myself killed by like half a dozen of those armored shark assholes (I do need to learn what they're called at some point). I ran away with 25 health left, gunning it for the surface and the safety of a kelp forest as fast as the engine would take me. Annoying bastards.

Those are called Bonesharks.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

They'll emit an EMP blast that'll set your Seamoth to 0% power and disable it (you can't get out of it, it doesn't generate oxygen, all you can do is sit there). This effects will expire after a few seconds and your power meter will reset to what it was pre-EMP, but it is disconcerting when it happens

No, the ones I don't yet know what they do are the evil-looking teleporter things.
    The crabs I did notice seemed to cast a sort of nova. Course, I was outside my seamoth at the moment, so it didnt seem to do much of anything.

Those are called Bonesharks.

Thanks for the tip. There really should be some way to scan predators from a safe distance and/or through a disposable camera. I'm not super willing to go and swim into a shark's face to scan it.

• Options

No, the ones I don't yet know what they do are the evil-looking teleporter things.
    The crabs I did notice seemed to cast a sort of nova. Course, I was outside my seamoth at the moment, so it didnt seem to do much of anything.

Ahh...gotcha. Those jerks are Warpers and will...
    teleport in other jerks (so far, I've seen them teleport in either a school of biters or an electro-eel thing).