As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the only award a [movie] should care about winning is a teen choice award

Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache lifeRegistered User regular
hello, fellow teens

the oscars, hosted by a bunch of crusty old squares, is right around the corner

barf-o-rama, am i right???

let's, instead decide what is the real hip movie of 2017, the one that we, teens, choose as the best

and why it is tragedy girls

also, i guess we can talk about upcoming movies too??? i hear there's gonna be a boss baby 2!!!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    will Boss Baby 2 have an entire Glengarry Glen Ross style monologue delivered by Alec Baldwin

I say yes

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Glenn Gary Glenn Boss Baby

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    michael douglas to play the president of boss babies in the boss baby 2

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    michael douglas to play the president of boss babies in the boss baby 2

“Greed...is googoo.”

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Charlie Sheen voices a washed up, coked out baby.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Boss Baby 2: Mama Never Sleeps

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I read the script for Lady Bird last night

The incredible look Laurie Metcalf gives when Lady Bird says “but what if this IS the best version of me” is not in the script, which should be an automatic Oscar for her

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Charlie Sheen voices a washed up, coked out baby.

But that's just a Tuesday and not a casting call

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Watching Ingrid Goes West.

Movie rules.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I saw two movies this weekend. Brief thoughts because I am late to the party on these.

Phantom Thread
    Genderswapped DD/LG with some poison set in post-war Britain? Fuckin' weird people, man. And fuck that doctor dude for trying to bang a married lady.

The Last Jedi
    It felt like this movie was never going to end, or at least, the middle third where it was just a countdown to an empty gas tank. I liked most of everything else.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Shit, that was a perfect ending

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I just finished Pottersville, which I deeply enjoyed

• Options
    I just saw a Gotham by Gaslight movie came out last week or so.

Anyone see it?

Any good?

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I would be very surprised if it were, considering every DC animated direct to DVD release has ranged from unwatchable to mediocre.

EDIT: ...but it still hasn't stopped me from hoping one'll be good.

M-Tee on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold came out this past year and while I haven't seen it I feel confident that it is better than 90% of the other DC animated feature films coming out/that have lately come out.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I caught up on the old thread when it was already locked so I wanted to say @UnbreakableVow I worked at Blockbuster and got that same shirt. It's one of my favorites and nobody ever has any idea what it's from. Also I've never seen Cloverfield, so I personally consider it more Heroes-related.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I'll need to check that one out. Brave and Bold's likely my most enjoyed take on the DC universe, although Justice League Action has been really strong too.

My main Direct-to-DVD animated complaints have been:
    * the painful mediocrity of the generic house style and the resulting blandness that occurs when they try to deviate *slightly* from said house style, picking up a few arbitrary traits of the artist that they're adapting from (New Frontier, All-Star) while refusing to make the changes necessary to actually pick up on the strengths of said style (line weight, backgrounds, palettes, framing, etc.)
    * The eye-rolling inclusions of the occasional curse words /PG-13-ness or whatever that manages to get jammed into nearly all of them, and without fail, stick out like a sore thumb.
    * The failure to strongly separate any of the movies from each other, except on artificial levels, or to commit and connect them to each other.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm about 30 minutes into watching The To-Do List and so far it's pretty decent?

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Paddington 2 was wonderful.

And Hugh Grant almost steals the movie. The man is delightful.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Movies? No thanks. Don't truck with 'em

• Options
    Ingrid Goes West goes in my pile of "Fucking awesome movies I don't want to watch again"

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm about 30 minutes into watching The To-Do List and so far it's pretty decent?

Okay c'mon that was pretty good, why is it scored so low on RT and metacritic? It's a solid B-grader, that should be somewhere in the 80s, not the low 50s and 60s.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/yjK1vc6R7Zk

I kind of can’t believe that they’re using Pokémon from generations after the first in this. It’s a Hollywood movie that is acknowledging Victini!

And it’s filming in London where I believe the Detective Pikachu game’s city is based on. I know the Pokémon Company has really absurd quality control standards, but this is really impressive

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They probably ask that because they remember 2 names of people involved, and only one is a man.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Also because Michael Shannon reminds most people of some sort of ominous spectre or grim totem

• Options
    That Waco movie makes me nervous. I hope the handle the material well.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Also because Michael Shannon reminds most people of some sort of ominous spectre or grim totem

He appears to just be here in the mortal realm trying to chill the fuck out.

But the universe just won't leave him alone!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Michael Shannon looks nothing like David Koresh.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Michael Shannon looks nothing like David Koresh.

I'm pretty sure David Koresh is the only name most people know when it comes to Waco

• Options

please don't be a Saving Mr. Banks please don't be a Saving Mr. Banks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Saving Mr. Banks was a much different situation

A famously prickly woman and someone we now know is kind of a monster, making Walt Disney look like a paragon of virtue and falsely making her look like she was ok with it

Unless I'm wrong and missed something, I don't think theres a dark skeleton in Fred Rodgers' closet to be papered over

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

A famously prickly woman and someone we now know is kind of a monster, making Walt Disney look like a paragon of virtue and falsely making her look like she was ok with it

Unless I'm wrong and missed something, I don't think theres a dark skeleton in Fred Rodgers' closet to be papered over

He overfed those fish that one time

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »

He overfed those fish that one time

Do you know why he announced he was feeding the fish on his episode?

Part of Fred Rogers's routine on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood was feeding his fish. After recieving a letter from a blind little girl, he was careful to verbally tell viewers when he fed them:
    Dear Mister Rogers,

Please say when you are feeding your fish, because I worry about them. I can't see if you are feeding them, so please say you are feeding them out loud.

Katie, age 5

Katie's father noted that she really does cry. Mister Rogers included Katie's letter in an anthology of letters that he received from children. In it, he reflected:
    Since hearing from Katie, I’ve tried to remember to mention out loud those times that I’m feeding the fish. Over the years, I’ve learned so much from children and their families. I like to think that we’ve all grown together.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    I just mean don't be a bland boring biopic

Sully would've been my go-to but too many people actually like that movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Man. Mr Rogers was too good for this world.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i am in a cleaning mode, and finding it easy to cull these.
    Pa09Zhvl.jpg
    (don't worry, that's a second copy of Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla.)

the barely translated kung fu flicks, however... those will be for another day.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Mr. Rogers was, like... yeah, the best. I'm not sure who I'd want to portray Fred Rogers in a bioflick.

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks is White America's Safest, Whitest Actor, but that ain't mean shit for acting; just the acting equivalent of the best, tastiest bologna and mayo sandwich with a side of Lay's chips and a glass of skim milk to cut the spiciness.

Like... Tom Hanks would be lucky to have Fred Rogers portray him in a movie.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Mr. Rogers was, like... yeah, the best. I'm not sure who I'd want to portray Fred Rogers in a bioflick.

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks is White America's Safest, Whitest Actor, but that ain't mean shit for acting; just the acting equivalent of the best, tastiest bologna and mayo sandwich with a side of Lay's chips and a glass of skim milk to cut the spiciness.

Nah.

Tom Hanks is one of the greatest living American actors and arguably the most respected actor working today.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks is a fucking amazing actor and it has literally nothing to do with his race

I'm sure that being a white male helped him get ahead in hollywood, but it didn't make him a good actor. And he's one of the best actors of all time.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
This discussion has been closed.