As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the only award a [movie] should care about winning is a teen choice award

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Maybe the Mr. Rogers biopic will help me finally understand why all you nerds love the dude so much

Straightzi on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think he were just a nice bloke to be honest

Not much more to it than that

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He was a genuinely good person.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    You Are My Friend originated from a true story developed by Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster, whose script made the 2013 Black List. It came from the real-life friendship between Rogers and Tom Junod, when the cynical journalist begrudgingly accepted an assignment to write a profile piece but finds his perspective on life transformed during the process.
    Ideally it is a movie where Fred Rogers is not the focus

6F32U1X.png
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Mr. Rogers was, like... yeah, the best. I'm not sure who I'd want to portray Fred Rogers in a bioflick.

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks is White America's Safest, Whitest Actor, but that ain't mean shit for acting; just the acting equivalent of the best, tastiest bologna and mayo sandwich with a side of Lay's chips and a glass of skim milk to cut the spiciness.

Like... Tom Hanks would be lucky to have Fred Rogers portray him in a movie.

Tom Hanks is a fucking amazing actor and it has literally nothing to do with his race

I'm sure that being a white male helped him get ahead in hollywood, but it didn't make him a good actor. And he's one of the best actors of all time.

Yes, and Friends was a massively clever, deeply nuanced work of startling depth which will some day prove to be society's greatest artistic achievement.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Mr. Rogers was, like... yeah, the best. I'm not sure who I'd want to portray Fred Rogers in a bioflick.

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks is White America's Safest, Whitest Actor, but that ain't mean shit for acting; just the acting equivalent of the best, tastiest bologna and mayo sandwich with a side of Lay's chips and a glass of skim milk to cut the spiciness.

Tom Hanks is a fucking amazing actor and it has literally nothing to do with his race

I'm sure that being a white male helped him get ahead in hollywood, but it didn't make him a good actor. And he's one of the best actors of all time.

Yes, and Friends was a massively clever, deeply nuanced work of startling depth which will some day prove to be society's greatest artistic achievement.

Ok

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

What?

I'm gonna get a tattoo on my forehead that says "remember when Tom Hanks was in Cloud Atlas" so everyone I encounter is always thinking about it

6F32U1X.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

Are there anymore goal-posts you'd like to set for what constitutes good art?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I feel like Tom Hanks can be over-loved by white people because he is A Nice White Boy and also be an incredibly talented, skilled actor (which, in my opinion, he is). They aren't mutually exclusive.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

This isn't even an argument

It's a non sequitur with a sneer

That's not how you make points!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Breezing right along, I saw The Death Cure having only seen and read the first Maze Runner book/movie (hated the book, thought the movie was fun) and I don't know what I was expecting, but after the 20 minute mark The Death Cure never, ever let's up until the end. It's intense, it's visceral, it's a war movie - there's a lot to like. Cinematography is gorgeous and the only acting missteps come from the seasoned folks; Barry Pepper isn't great, Patricia Arquette is good enough, but Aiden Gillen is Just Not Good In This Movie.

Also the movie gets a full extra point for having
    a faceless terrorist zombies leader played by Walton Goggins

There are some pretty clever pieces of dialogue and some of the set pieces are inventive and thrilling.

After reading the Wiki for the book, I'm glad they kind of ignored... Most of it, in favor of a movie that's just a few cuts above brainless action.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Two people will really affect me if it turns out they are garbage people.

Tom Hanks and Levar Burton

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Zonugal wrote: »

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

I mean... is there a paycheck involved?

But, nah.

Tom Hanks is... an Actor Who Is Good.

There are, approximately, infinite actors of equal or greater ability working at any one time.

Tom Hanks is America's Sweetheart.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I hate Friends but I love Mr. Rogers

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

But, nah.

There are, approximately, infinite actors of equal or greater ability working at any one time.

You are of course free to that opinion

But tom hanks has turned in more incredible performances than nearly any other actor living or dead

He is absolutely not on the same level as "infinite other actors"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I have just learned that there is a Superfly remake in the works

It is being directed by a guy who goes exclusively by "Director X," who has never made a movie before, but has directed dozens of hip-hop music videos

and they just cast Michael K. Williams in it

6F32U1X.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Last December I was a substitute social-studies teacher at a middle school, and I told the teacher in advance I would just run a trivia contest for half of her classes.

So I wrote up my trivia questions, and the two rounds were Holiday Films & Star Wars.

During the first round, I asked this question:

#6. What noted actor provided the voice of the conductor in 2004's animated film, The Polar Express?

A lot of the students didn't know it, so I gave them this hint, "He's the most beloved actor in America."

And you would not believe how many times I heard a student answer with, "Johnny Depp."

Eeaughhhh...

Mr. G wrote: »

It is being directed by a guy who goes exclusively by "Director X," who has never made a movie before, but has directed dozens of hip-hop music videos

Yeah, but who is working on the soundtrack???

Yeah, but who is working on the soundtrack???

Future is working on it

6F32U1X.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be honest, a really well made bologna sandwich can be fuckin' delicious.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I fucking love plain (quality) bologna on a big sesame seed hard roll. Come at me.

It is my opinion that Tom Hanks is "the white Denzel Washington" and the reverse is also true

Those dudes are taken for granted just how good they are because everyone already loves them

6F32U1X.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm still pissed off about that time I tried to buy a DVD copy of That Thing You Do, and somebody grabbed it before I could

But it ain't Tom Hanks.

But, nah.

You are of course free to that opinion

But tom hanks has turned in more incredible performances than nearly any other actor living or dead

He is absolutely not on the same level as "infinite other actors"

I feel that's a fair claim to make, and of course this is my opinion.

He may have turned in... those performances. But I feel like there are infinite actors who could turn in equally great performances, and also be more interesting.

Tom Hanks reads, to me, like what studios do when they can afford it and want to make sure their lead is The Biggest Name.

He's kinda like if every third Hollywood movie starred Typical Average-Looking BBC Star, except literally any of them would be more dynamic and interesting whilst eating crisps in their trailer.

To Me.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yes!

A really great actor doesn't stand out as being great because they become their characters so well that you forget they are acting.

I feel confident Heath Ledger would have gone that way, as well. Dude was brilliant.

3clipse wrote: »
    I feel confident Heath Ledger would have gone that way, as well. Dude was brilliant.

I think Ledger might have been more of a Christian Bale type where he transforms for the role he is in.

edited January 2018
    I often think if you aren't screaming in anger or breaking down in tears in your movie people can overlook how good of a job an actor or actress is doing.

The subtlety of acting is often missed.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited January 2018
    It is my opinion that Tom Hanks is "the white Denzel Washington" and the reverse is also true

Those dudes are taken for granted just how good they are because everyone already loves them

As much as I'm super-glad to see another Black man make it like Denzel did, I have been well over him for going on a decade.

I've also never felt like either Denzel or Tom Hanks 'disappear' into their roles.

They are both hired specifically because they're Denzel, or because they're Tom Hanks.

See Also: Julia Roberts, Tom Cruise, Sandra Bullock ca. 1995.

EDIT: though, yeah, I'll fuckin destroy a bologna sammich. Don't try to tell me it's better than a good burg tho.

FroThulhu on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tom Hanks in Bridge of Spies is an incredible performance that would have been the best performance I've seen in a Spielberg movie if not for Mark Rylance stealing the goddamn show

CYpGAPn.png
    If you ever want to see Hanks and Denzel at their best just watch Philadelphia.

I don't think disappearing into a role is required of an actor to be putting in a good-ass performance

Sometimes an actor has a thing and you get them to do their thing!

I don't need Tom Cruise to stretch his range, I just want the Tom Cruise thing

That's what character actors are especially good for, if you hire Charles Dance, he better be smug and superior

6F32U1X.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

As much as I'm super-glad to see another Black man make it like Denzel did, I have been well over him for going on a decade.

I've also never felt like either Denzel or Tom Hanks 'disappear' into their roles.

They are both hired specifically because they're Denzel, or because they're Tom Hanks.

EDIT: though, yeah, I'll fuckin destroy a bologna sammich. Don't try to tell me it's better than a good burg tho.

If I want a burger, no food is going to be better than a burger for me that day. But if I'm havin' burgs every day I'm gonna get fuckin' sick of burgs. A good chili isn't made any lesser simply because pizza also exists.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm very thankful for the fact that Tom Hanks is pretty selective about his roles so I don't get burned out on him, like what happened with Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Depp

If I want a burger, no food is going to be better than a burger for me that day. But if I'm havin' burgs every day I'm gonna get fuckin' sick of burgs. A good chili isn't made any lesser simply because pizza also exists.

Yeah, but literally none of those things are a bologna sandwich, and are (depending on quality of individual burg, pizza, or chili) better and more robust than one.

Cheese pizza is the Tom Hanks of pizzas. I'd say Denzel is a barely-more-adventurous pepperoni pizza.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Yeah, but literally none of those things are a bologna sandwich, and are (depending on quality of individual burg, pizza, or chili) better and more robust than one.

Cheese pizza is the Tom Hanks of pizzas. I'd say Denzel is a barely-more-adventurous pepperoni pizza.

Wait, if you're trying to say that Tom Hanks is boring then why are you comparing him to one of the best types of pizza?

Opinions are subjective?

What?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm surprised because I thought it'd be up my alley, but I just saw Lady Bird and feel absolutely nothing about it

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Remember when Nintendo thought Tom Hanks wasn't good enough to play Mario in the live action Mario Brothers movie?

Oh, the 90s.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
This discussion has been closed.