As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Gonna break this up by paragraph:
    Christ, the Kelp forest is creepy as all the hells. I've seen a couple of those things that look like Hydralisks with a tentacled lower half and which teleport roaming around. Thweird brain crabs are manageable, but those things worry me a lot, especially because I don't actually yet know what they DO. I feel so defenseless going around in my noisy and fragile Seamoth.

If you want to know what the brain crabs do, check the spoiler:
    They'll emit an EMP blast that'll set your Seamoth to 0% power and disable it (you can't get out of it, it doesn't generate oxygen, all you can do is sit there). This effects will expire after a few seconds and your power meter will reset to what it was pre-EMP, but it is disconcerting when it happens

No, the ones I don't yet know what they do are the evil-looking teleporter things.
    The crabs I did notice seemed to cast a sort of nova. Course, I was outside my seamoth at the moment, so it didnt seem to do much of anything.
    Also, earlier I went deep in an area with a big cliff and nearly got myself killed by like half a dozen of those armored shark assholes (I do need to learn what they're called at some point). I ran away with 25 health left, gunning it for the surface and the safety of a kelp forest as fast as the engine would take me. Annoying bastards.

Those are called Bonesharks.

Thanks for the tip. There really should be some way to scan predators from a safe distance and/or through a disposable camera. I'm not super willing to go and swim into a shark's face to scan it.

There is eventually something you get that makes it safer to scan things like that.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I've been messing around with base building in creative mode and the game gives you a bunch of floaters in your inventory.....so I threw one at one of the nasty armor plated fish in the grassy plateau. Much hilarity ensued.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    My first Hudson moment:
    1500+ meters away from my nearest base and around 600+ meters down, I climbed out of my seamoth to get some resources. I was not that concerned when the leviathan decided to drag off my ride thinking I could conduct repairs after the beast got bored. Then my seamoth exploded in the leviathan's grasp. Deep down, low on air, and surrounded by hostile marine life, I felt compelled to load my last save.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    My first Hudson moment:
    1500+ meters away from my nearest base and around 600+ meters down, I climbed out of my seamoth to get some resources. I was not that concerned when the leviathan decided to drag off my ride thinking I could conduct repairs after the beast got bored. Then my seamoth exploded in the leviathan's grasp. Deep down, low on air, and surrounded by hostile marine life, I felt compelled to load my last save.
    Replace last save with bullet and you have the ending of a very dark movie

Finally got my Neptune built.

Now to decide what to put in my Time Capsule.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I just realized that you can hold shift to sprint while on land. That's going to make things faster.

The scanning room also tipped me off to the fact that those boxes that you find everywhere actually do tend to have scannable things in them, you just have to make sure that you check every angle. I was having a hard time finding laser cutter parts, but using cameras I was able to find two fragments almost immediately.

edit: Also, the grav trap is ridiculous. Before trying one I assumed that they would probably eat through power like crazy, but they don't even require any. Are there any downsides to just leaving them sitting in the middle of the shallows, will predators attack them?

jothki on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Christ, the Kelp forest is creepy as all the hells. I've seen a couple of those things that look like Hydralisks with a tentacled lower half and which teleport roaming around. Thweird brain crabs are manageable, but those things worry me a lot, especially because I don't actually yet know what they DO. I feel so defenseless going around in my noisy and fragile Seamoth.

They'll emit an EMP blast that'll set your Seamoth to 0% power and disable it (you can't get out of it, it doesn't generate oxygen, all you can do is sit there). This effects will expire after a few seconds and your power meter will reset to what it was pre-EMP, but it is disconcerting when it happens

No, the ones I don't yet know what they do are the evil-looking teleporter things.
    The crabs I did notice seemed to cast a sort of nova. Course, I was outside my seamoth at the moment, so it didnt seem to do much of anything.
    Also, earlier I went deep in an area with a big cliff and nearly got myself killed by like half a dozen of those armored shark assholes (I do need to learn what they're called at some point). I ran away with 25 health left, gunning it for the surface and the safety of a kelp forest as fast as the engine would take me. Annoying bastards.

Thanks for the tip. There really should be some way to scan predators from a safe distance and/or through a disposable camera. I'm not super willing to go and swim into a shark's face to scan it.

There is eventually something you get that makes it safer to scan things like that.

I am very happy to hear that.

Anyway, I have so much Cyclops stuff, but I'm missing one of the three blueprint blocks to build it. I have the hull and bridge, but I'm missing the third one and can't seem to find a whisper of it. I had been looking in the mushroom forest, since that's where I've found all the fragments for the other two, but no dice. Must be in a different area.

Also, question: this game doesn't have cloud saves, right? Anyone know where the savegames are? I've been playing on my laptop and now that I'm heading back home (currently on the train, in fact) I'd rather move to the desktop computer.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The hooks are in deep in this game.

Where I'm at progress wise:
    Just cleared out the research facility the sea dragon attacked. I tossed up a forward base down by the tree since that area seemed completely safe. Got a nuclear plant up and running in it (seriously, nuclear is so good and so easy, why do anything else?), as well as a pair of water purifiers so I won't go thirsty. Getting my Cyclops and Prawn upgraded now that I have some nickle, and then I'll be loading the cargo bays full of material and moving them down there to prep for what I assume is the near final descent.

But first, I found an air filled gate room underwater, so I'm really curious where that goes if I can get it working somehow.

Mvrck on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

I am very happy to hear that.

Anyway, I have so much Cyclops stuff, but I'm missing one of the three blueprint blocks to build it. I have the hull and bridge, but I'm missing the third one and can't seem to find a whisper of it. I had been looking in the mushroom forest, since that's where I've found all the fragments for the other two, but no dice. Must be in a different area.

Also, question: this game doesn't have cloud saves, right? Anyone know where the savegames are? I've been playing on my laptop and now that I'm heading back home (currently on the train, in fact) I'd rather move to the desktop computer.

Looks like:

(Steam directory)\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames

And it'll/they'll be the one(s) that have more than a "screenshots" folder in them.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The last thing I did before I quit last night was build a Cyclops. I knew it was big enough to carry a Seamoth, but the scale of it didn't hit me until it was being built. I'm not entirely certain what to do with it at this point. My Seamoth can defend itself reliably against leviathans but the Cyclops is basically a big floating target right now.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    But first, I found an air filled gate room underwater, so I'm really curious where that goes if I can get it working somehow.

If that's the same one I found, I believe that's an exit gate, so it would activate when you turn on it's corresponding gate elsewhere. I haven't actually found a gate I could turn on yet.

That would be the engine fragments, and yeah, they aren't in the Mushroom Forest. They're in a few spots, but I found all of mine around the Mountain Island.

That would be the engine fragments, and yeah, they aren't in the Mushroom Forest. They're in a few spots, but I found all of mine around the Mountain Island.

Is that the area where
    you were going to meet with those poor Sunbeam bastards? With the alien gun and the facility and the Not-A-Stargate?

I never did explore the water around that place very much.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Is that the area where
    you were going to meet with those poor Sunbeam bastards? With the alien gun and the facility and the Not-A-Stargate?

I never did explore the water around that place very much.

Yep, that's it. They're on the slopes around where it kind of meets the seabed. Just be careful because there are large things that want to give you hugs in that area.

...yyyeah, I saw them. I avoided them okay, though, and found the engine blueprints!

So now I have a Cyclops. Holy shit this bastard is big.

And I do have to ask, how the Christ do you charge this thing up? It seems to use six power cells! I have a charger that charges two at a time! Because if I have to manually charge them constantly honestly screw that noise.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Could build a shit-ton of power cells for backup and not worry too much about charging them manually.

Also pretty sure there's an upgrade for the Cyclops that uses ambient heat to recharge the power cells, but I don't know if it's something you can build by default or you have to find the blueprints for.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    Could build a shit-ton of power cells for backup and not worry too much about charging them manually.

Also pretty sure there's an upgrade for the Cyclops that uses ambient heat to recharge the power cells, but I don't know if it's something you can build by default or you have to find the blueprints for.

There's also an efficiency upgrade for the Cyclops.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    ...yyyeah, I saw them. I avoided them okay, though, and found the engine blueprints!

So now I have a Cyclops. Holy shit this bastard is big.

And I do have to ask, how the Christ do you charge this thing up? It seems to use six power cells! I have a charger that charges two at a time! Because if I have to manually charge them constantly honestly screw that noise.

You can build more than one power cell charger, as long as you have enough power output at your base to support it.

There's also an upgrade that makes the Cyclops more energy efficient.

Also, (vague near end-game tech but not plot spoilers):
    You discover blueprints for power cells that are about 5x as powerful, but unfortunately that's at nearly the end of the game.

Yeah, but power cell chargers are a) slow, and b) expensive. 3 rubies apiece is a lot of rubies, because those things are rare as hell. I've been able to find a scant six or so in the blood kelp forest, and every excursion there ends with me running like shit from half a dozen bonesharks in a half-broken Seamoth.

Also, having to manually change all the power cells constantly sounds pretty miserable, because I ran it for a bit and the power already went down so clearly its autonomy without the efficiency upgrade is rather suspect. There really should be a way to, like, refuel it from a nearby station or something. This seems like a thing power transmitters should be able to do.

It requires a blueprint, but I actually have it. What I don't have are the materials. One of them I don't even know what the heck it is. Kyanite or something, some blue mineral that I haven't seen in my life.

Yeah, but power cell chargers are a) slow, and b) expensive. 3 rubies apiece is a lot of rubies, because those things are rare as hell. I've been able to find a scant six or so in the blood kelp forest, and every excursion there ends with me running like shit from half a dozen bonesharks in a half-broken Seamoth.

Also, having to manually change all the power cells constantly sounds pretty miserable, because I ran it for a bit and the power already went down so clearly its autonomy without the efficiency upgrade is rather suspect. There really should be a way to, like, refuel it from a nearby station or something. This seems like a thing power transmitters should be able to do.

It requires a blueprint, but I actually have it. What I don't have are the materials. One of them I don't even know what the heck it is. Kyanite or something, some blue mineral that I haven't seen in my life.

Kyanite is in the Inactive Lava Zone. You need a cyclops that can do 1300m and a PRAWN would be very helpful as well since you find more large deposits than singles (at least I did).

Kyanite is in the Inactive Lava Zone. You need a cyclops that can do 1300m and a PRAWN would be very helpful as well since you find more large deposits than singles (at least I did).

So, a long way to go yet, then. Probably should focus on trying to find more wrecks and see if I can find anything of value.

Or maybe try the Aurora? Could be worth a shot.

Re: Cylcops Power.

-It lasts a while, especially with the efficiency upgrade.
    -Power Cells actually don't take that long to charge, as long as you have steady power. A Bioreactor is more than enough.
    -Limited use of silent running/shields/sonar conserves power.
    -There is a thermal power tech that will take heat from the surrounding water and convert it to power.
    -Eventually yes, you get better batteries. I recommend bringing a bunch of gold and silver with you, and at least six rolls of synthetic rubber.

I also suggest building power charging spots in a few places. I highly recommend the Cove Tree in the Lost River (it's a safe spot, plus it has thermal vents) Other good locations... the SW Mushroom Forest, the shallower end of the Grand Reef, Maybe the North Grassy Plateaus/Mushroom Forest/Bulb Zone. All you need is a single room with a reactor of some kind, and a charging station. Plus you can always expand and add Scanning Rooms to make more use of the power source.

Are you making sure to turn off the Cyclops' engine when you get out? Also, if you're using silent running a lot, that'll burn through battery power pretty quick (though the hassle of charging the batteries when you get back to base could be worth it for avoiding Reaper attacks).

But yes, absolutely get that efficiency upgrade stat (I think it's found in the same place every time)
    in the Aurora reactor room

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I just started playing this end of last week with my daughter. We are totally hooked. When she's not around, I am not allowed to do anything other than farm mats. I can't wait to get home and get my fix. Thoughts so far:

- Stalkers keep stealing my Scanner Room Camera Drones. Like they steal them directly from their docks and then drag them around the kelp forest area and drop them into other debris. Stalkers have stopped feeling scary and instead are a combination of dog/bird. Its like a cute/annoying game of fetch I have to play with them.
    - Just got a Moonpool built and its the first time I felt like my base was a base. Love it.
    - I got all the mats together for my Cyclops last night while she was asleep. Can't wait to build it tonight.
    - I see massive deposits of stuff like Salt but still don't have a way to mine it. Curious exactly when that will come.
    - We both screamed and had to take a break when some kraken-like death creature grabbed our SeaMoth while we were exploring the wreckage of the Aurora. We aren't going back there until we are fully prepared.
    - Probably our favorite moment so far was
    going to meet up with the Sunbeam, seeing the massive alien building, watching the building turn into a gun and destroy the Sunbeam, followed by going over and exploring the gun.
    I was not expecting the game to go there so we were in awe at everything we saw inside.
    - I just got a ton of plans for upgrades for the vehicles and my mind was blown by how deep this game was getting. There is so much to do and I've barely gone 1km from the escape pod. How crazy does this game get?!
    - We found a glowing mushroom cave area with vampire worms, got lost and couldn't make my way back out. Luckily it was just my camera drone. Its too deep for my SeaMoth right now, but upgrades are coming soon!

My only complaint right now is that the draw distance is not good on the Xbox One. I see pop-ins all the time. But I guess that just comes with preview games like this and I have seen the developers also state they aren't happy with the current performance on Xbox and are working furiously on it.

ObiFett on
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Can someone help me find the prawn drill arm fragments? It's so frustrating not to be able to mine big stuff.

ObiFett wrote: »
    I just started playing this end of last week with my daughter. We are totally hooked. When she's not around, I am not allowed to do anything other than farm mats. I can't wait to get home and get my fix. Thoughts so far:

- I see massive deposits of stuff like Salt but still don't have a way to mine it. Curious exactly when that will come.
    - We both screamed and had to take a break when some kraken-like death creature grabbed our SeaMoth while we were exploring the wreckage of the Aurora. We aren't going back there until we are fully prepared.
    - I just got a ton of plans for upgrades for the vehicles and my mind was blown by how deep this game was getting. There is so much to do and I've barely gone 1km from the escape pod. How crazy does this game get?!
    - We found a glowing mushroom cave area with vampire worms, got lost and couldn't make my way back out. Luckily it was just my camera drone. Its too deep for my SeaMoth right now, but upgrades are coming soon!

In order:
    - Eventually you will unlock something called the PRAWN suit, which has an optional Drill arm. This lets you access large resource deposits. For example, the Mushroom Forest biome has large copper deposits.
    - You CAN explore the Aurora itself safely if you say shallow and close to the front of the ship, but keep your eyes peeled. Reapers do tend to wander. Bring a repair tool and a laser cutter.
    - It gets extremely crazy.
    - I've had that problem before. I suggest setting up a beacon at the entrance to the cave so you can find your way back out. Honestly, just put beacons on everything. You can toggle their visibility on and off in the PDA.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Plot:
    So it seems I missed kickstarting the whole alien building branch of the plot stuff by not bothering to go meet the Sunbeam! I just watched it explode from a distance and then the map marker disappeared so I didn't think of it anymore. Finally found the island after picking up from various internet rumblings that I'd missed stuff. I was just starting to run out of food and water on the mountain island when I found the warp to the floating island to raid their gardens which was nice!

I'd just found the Borg cube in the river before I went there so I think I'm taking an unusual order on this. It does seem to have triggered the plot continuing however which is good.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I have done
    A little exploration of the Aurora

And got myself the plans to a PRAWN! Now the issue is making it. Aerogel requires yet more rubies. Bleeding hell.

I don't really have much in the way of unlocked upgrades, though. Just a grapple arm that, admittedly, is fairly craftable. I know there's a drill and apparently some kind of punching involved?

I've got loads of prawn limbs but no prawn itself.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I don't really have much in the way of unlocked upgrades, though. Just a grapple arm that, admittedly, is fairly craftable. I know there's a drill and apparently some kind of punching involved?

The default arms are the punchy arms. They can also delicately pick items up into the PRAWN's inventory if you're aiming at an item before you click.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I have done

And got myself the plans to a PRAWN! Now the issue is making it. Aerogel requires yet more rubies. Bleeding hell.

I found tons of easy to get rubies in the deep cracks around the Keen wreck. I can't remember what number his escape pod was, but the description was something like "Keen's last signal" or something like that.

I got a good two dozen last time I went there. Only real threat down in those holes are Bleeders. And honestly those things can go straight to hell.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I got my Cyclops. Fucking huge! Is it essentially just a mobile base? Can you add to it and carry both the PRAWN and Seamoth?

• envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Sorry just one vehicle in the cyclops. I.e. either the seamoth or the prawn.

edited January 2018
    Just finished the game. Loved it.

My main complaint is I think they should have continued to use waypoints in the story. After the first facility, I didn't really know where to go and most likely wouldn't have found it without using the wiki. You have to take some roundabout paths. I guess if you keep exploring you'll stumble on the stuff, but most of it is in areas you're not going to leisurely explore. I also kinda wish the game had some sort of map. I found user created maps super useful.

I loved the way the game was gated. They did a good job with that. You could kind of tell what to do when based on what materials you needed and how deep things were. I also really liked the Cyclops. I used it quite a while back, before the PRAWN was released, and didn't really see the point other than being a slower Seamoth, outside of it just being neat. But now, I kept the PRAWN in it which I used for mining, and having the ability to place things like growbeds, storage, and a fabricator really expands it usefulness. Holy crap, is the SONAR upgrade useful. I figured it would just add a display like the Seaglide has, which I find pretty useless, but it actually highlights the terrain around you, making sneaking around in the dark a cinch. I also recommend getting the jumpjet upgrade for the PRAWN as it's much better.

Sir Carcass on
    I really want to love the Prawn (I have to admit, stomping around in it while listening to the Rebel Galaxy soundtrack feels truly awesome)...but until I get the last grapple and drill arm scans, I just can't give up my Seamoth.

I also love the Cyclops Sonar.

I wish I could leave it on all the time, but power constraints.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

The default arms are the punchy arms. They can also delicately pick items up into the PRAWN's inventory if you're aiming at an item before you click.

I sometimes switch arms on the prawn so I can pick up stuff in the brine of the Lost River, as well. (I normally run grapple/drill)

Hah! You know how the legs on your base can appear as default little stubs until the game gets to draw them in to the ground? (Well on medium settings on my computer they do anyway).

I somehow managed to get my Seamoth under a room before the legs popped in, and then they sprang out as a cage all around me! Took quite a bit of ramming into the ground and getting out and pushing to get that free.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I have done

I found tons of easy to get rubies in the deep cracks around the Keen wreck. I can't remember what number his escape pod was, but the description was something like "Keen's last signal" or something like that.

I got a good two dozen last time I went there. Only real threat down in those holes are Bleeders. And honestly those things can go straight to hell.

I'm getting better at exploring the blood kelp area. It helps that now I understand how the Warper things work, and it turns out they're extremely nonthreatening. So I came back with like a dozen rubies as well as some Not-Uranium and a few gel sacs (boy are these things hard to see), and so I now have a PRAWN suit with extensible hook action.

Enemy impressions:
    Crabs are kind of a pest, but up to here bonesharks remain my primary threat. Big serpent things are honestly less of a worry, because they're easier to see coming and since they grab you you have plenty of time to press the anti-hug countermeasures I installed in the Seamoth. Warpers are eminently harmless if alone but kind of dangerous if there are already other predators poking around, since they kick you out of the Seamoth.

edited January 2018
    I really want to love the Prawn (I have to admit, stomping around in it while listening to the Rebel Galaxy soundtrack feels truly awesome)...but until I get the last grapple and drill arm scans, I just can't give up my Seamoth.

Once I got my Cyclops and PRAWN kitted out, I didn't use my Seamoth anymore. Well, I used it once to pop over to the Mountain Island real quick, but that was it.
    It helps that now I understand how the Warper things work, and it turns out they're extremely nonthreatening.

Just wait, later on they become dicks. They like to teleport you out of your vehicle. It's really annoying while you're trying to mine.
    I also love the Cyclops Sonar.

I wish I could leave it on all the time, but power constraints.

Full disclosure, I created a script in Cheat Engine to have no power drain in tools or vehicles. It made the game so much more fun for myself. I found the game to have enough challenge and tense moments without the hassle of batteries. Even though I could run full silent running all the time, I still had to creep around reapers lest they spot me.

Here's the script if anyone is curious or wants to try it:
    define(InfiniteBatteryDef,Battery:set_charge+48)

[ENABLE]
    {$lua}
    LaunchMonoDataCollector()
    {$asm}
    alloc(newmem,$100,InfiniteBatteryDef)

label(InfiniteBattery)
    label(code)
    label(return)
    registersymbol(InfiniteBattery)

newmem:

code:
      movss xmm5,[rsi+20]
      movss [rsi+1C],xmm5
      jmp return

InfiniteBatteryDef:
    InfiniteBattery:
      jmp newmem

return:

[DISABLE]

InfiniteBattery:
      db F3 0F 11 6E 1C 48 8B 75 F8

unregistersymbol(InfiniteBattery)
    dealloc(newmem)

Basically it takes the capacity of the battery and puts it into the current charge every time it tries to reduce it.

Sir Carcass on
    It helps that now I understand how the Warper things work, and it turns out they're extremely nonthreatening.

Just wait, later on they become dicks. They like to teleport you out of your vehicle. It's really annoying while you're trying to mine.

Doesn't the teleport also drop your health to something like 10% or something? I remember seeing that in a Neebs Gaming video (love their Subnautica series).

Doesn't the teleport also drop your health to something like 10% or something? I remember seeing that in a Neebs Gaming video (love their Subnautica series).

Not in my experience. I have been teleported out but it seems to do like 10 damage. I do have the better-armored suit, I dunno if that helps.