As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I've been really enjoying painting again and have never owned an airbrush... youtube is doing a good job of convincing me I need one.

Any suggestions on a good midgrade starter piece? I don't want to break the bank but I also don't want to buy cheapo stuff I'll need to upgrade right away.

I've got a full sized compressor, so I don't know that I'd need an airbrush compressor right away either.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’d say go ahead and just get something cheap like a masters series gravity brush to practice with and get comfortable with usage, cleaning and maintenance before breaking the bank on a good brush. It’ll handle basecoats fine, and by the time you’ve got a handle on what you’re doing and want to move on to more advanced techniques you can get a badger or iwata and be less likely to screw something up in it.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’d say go ahead and just get something cheap like a masters series gravity brush to practice with and get comfortable with usage, cleaning and maintenance before breaking the bank on a good brush. It’ll handle basecoats fine, and by the time you’ve got a handle on what you’re doing and want to move on to more advanced techniques you can get a badger or iwata and be less likely to screw something up in it.

It's almost like you know me :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I've never used an Iwata Neo but I hear they're cheap, sturdy and decent for priming/basecoating/basic shading.

(I use other Iwata branded airbrushes and can attest to their reliability).

Dunno what your budget is but you can get them for around £60, and pick up a more expensive model down the line once you're comfortable with it.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    I'd figured around $100 as I don't need to worry about a compressor.

I don't really plan on getting super fancy, but I'd like to be able to do some basic shading.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    That's like £70 so it sits right in your price range.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    DUss8h7VwAEFHdm.jpg
    Dark Elf Executioners came out looking a bit SPARTA

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    kIBk0JF.jpg
    Some Hive Guard made out of warrior bodies, cuz I’m not made out of money. Put my goopy concrete basing on them and a Tyrant. Will slather a thick layer of paint on after priming to get it nice and viscous.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I also did a Tyranids. Based up my gargoyles on self made flying bases. Got them in a trade so I didn’t have the original plastics, or had to break off half broken ones. Tried to make it look like they were actually flying in a swarm, instead of all hovering two inches off the table.

W3XOGQt.jpg

I think I’m gonna copy that alternate flight stem length thing for my gargoyles. It is literally impossible to put those guys base to base with anything or each other on their normal bases.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I also did a Tyranids. Based up my gargoyles on self made flying bases. Got them in a trade so I didn’t have the original plastics, or had to break off half broken ones. Tried to make it look like they were actually flying in a swarm, instead of all hovering two inches off the table.

W3XOGQt.jpg

Are you forging someone's signature in the bottom right?

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

W3XOGQt.jpg

Are you forging someone's signature in the bottom right?

This folding table is so old it dates back to when me and my wife were on high school so it has our names carved into it/scribbled on it.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    High school table with no dicks drawn on it?

You and I are very different people, sir.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So I haven't painted anything in probably more than a decade. However I recently started getting a number of board games that come with minis and figured, what the hell.

All my paints are dried up and my brushes have disintegrated. I don't remember how to do anything. Does anyone have some resources for people (who were never really any good to begin with) returning to the wonderful world of mini painting? What are some decent inexpensive brushes/paints to get?

I'm going to start with the 6 starting Gloomhaven minis (and will hold off painting the other classes until they've become unlocked). I think they're mostly standard fantasy fare, so I'll probably need a pretty wide variety of colours I imagine.

Thanks in advance!

Got another Forge World share.

Right as I'm having another crisis of ability and it makes me feel like a fraud.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    @Kneel You paint circles around the rest of us. Never doubt your abilities.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    As someone who currently paints at an Aluminum Demon standard, seeing stuff painted by the people in this thread is very motivating.

I used to get really discouraged by all the better painters in this thread and their seemingly effortless creations, but over time I honed it into a sharp loathing that now guides my brush with hatred.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ah, the dark side of painting. Give in to it. Let the hate flow through you like the qiuckshade over your miniatures.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »

Right as I'm having another crisis of ability and it makes me feel like a fraud.

Put your diorama away, stick it in a cupboard or something, forget about it for a bit.
    Paint something else, or play video games or whatever helps you relax.
    Come back to it with a clear head, you can see with fresh eyes what’s working and what you need to do.
    The process is tough, and figuring it out isnt easy, but that’s art!
    Don’t give up, you’re a great inspiration to many (all?) in this thread!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited January 2018
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »

Put your diorama away, stick it in a cupboard or something, forget about it for a bit.
    Paint something else, or play video games or whatever helps you relax.
    Come back to it with a clear head, you can see with fresh eyes what’s working and what you need to do.
    The process is tough, and figuring it out isnt easy, but that’s art!
    Don’t give up, you’re a great inspiration to many (all?) in this thread!

That's almost exactly what I've been doing these last two days; I'm doing a bog-standard box art quality Foetid Blight Drone (for eBay) while I clear my head and suss out what I'm doing.

Thanks guys!

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    So I haven't painted anything in probably more than a decade. However I recently started getting a number of board games that come with minis and figured, what the hell.

All my paints are dried up and my brushes have disintegrated. I don't remember how to do anything. Does anyone have some resources for people (who were never really any good to begin with) returning to the wonderful world of mini painting? What are some decent inexpensive brushes/paints to get?

I'm going to start with the 6 starting Gloomhaven minis (and will hold off painting the other classes until they've become unlocked). I think they're mostly standard fantasy fare, so I'll probably need a pretty wide variety of colours I imagine.

Thanks in advance!

I'd check out the Games Workshop painting videos on youtube; they've got some long ones which go through how to paint models from start to finish, as well as some quick tips, which are 2-4 mins long.

It's not unusual for me to pick bits and pieces of some of the longer videos, and apply those techniques to other models.

They're a really good place to start from; I think you can get some very decent results following their base / wash / highlight or dry brush formula.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I would agree, I am not near the best or anything, but prime/base/wash/highlight/maybe wash again is a really good way to get started making decent looking, tabletop game ready minis. Just doing what the gw videos and guides show will get you pretty far then you can start to work in more specialized techniques, they took me from stuff that didn't look much better than unpainted to things I was pretty proud to drop on a tabletop.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My favorite tip to give people: Make sure your brush is closer to "damp" than "wet".

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Yeah after getting some extra water in for thinning I'll rinse my brush then let some of the moisture off with the paper towel.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Has anyone messed around with this Barbed Bracken terrain kit? Does it take primer like normal plastic, or do I need to do something special with it? It has very small sprue connectors and is kind of fiddly, so I was just going to prime and paint then clip off and touch up, but I’m kinda leery of it being similar to Reaper Bones plastic and going permanently sticky if I use the wrong paints.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    From what I keep hearing in video reviews, that stuff is indeed either similar to Reaper Bones or the exact same kind of plastic. I'm not sure what you mean by sticky though.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Most spray primers will stay permanently tacky if you use them on the Bones plastic, and additional coats of paint won’t help. If it is the same material I’ll stick to a non-primer paint. Since it’s gonna be on a base, there shouldn’t really be a problem with it getting handled.

• frayfray Registered User regular
    So I'm still horrible at photographing models but I actually finished painting something for the first time in a while (I say finished, just needs basing and transfers). Will this be the army I actually stick with? Who knows! (Spoiler: probably not).

i1podnaieljb.jpg

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    Project Distract-O-Kneel is coming on well:

dzuuvak795ql.jpg
    pf3t7pqnhvpz.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    ...of COURSE it looks better without the propellers. X(

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    So I have been trying to do some orcs with a more realistic paint job, I feel like they are getting a bit too dark in general. Any tips? Sorry for the terrible picture.

fvjddbo2y1vt.jpeg

Jealous Deva on
    Try looking at something like the marine iguana for realistic dark green skin tones. There’s going to be some light green patches, mottling, but mostly dark grey-green skin.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I just opened and assembled my multimelta Legion of the Damned trooper.

Then promptly dropped him and broke his back banner off. But being resin I was able to fix this one. I even used a little green stuff to bulk out the paperclip I used as a pin. But that sets me back a day on priming.

Of course, I also forgot to bring a spare 32 mm base, so I need to wait until tomorrow to glue that on anyway.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Priming my first mini in a long time and it's metal. Would you ever consider leaving certain parts like a sword or chainmail bare if it's probably what you'd color it anyway?

Speaking from an amateur/bad point of view.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Don't leave anything bare, even if it's what you'd normally color it.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Thanks!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Years ago I painted a metal Necron Nightbringer by doing layers of actual metallic pen inks over the bare metal to try and get that liquid metal necrodermis look they’re supposed to have.
    502443_sm-C%27tan%20Deceiver.jpg
    It looked pretty good in person with a color changing iridescent sheen, but I had to clean and scrub the metal to a bright mirror polish first, and the first game I played it fell over (being a big top heavy metal model on a 40mm base) and got chipped to hell from just the flock despite several layers of gloss varnish. So yeah, don’t paint bare metal without primer unless it’s a display piece in a cabinet where no one will ever touch it.

Nov 23rd 2017: picked up a Typhus box from Warhammer Liverpool.

Jan 30th 2018: opened the Typhus box, built his head and then discovered that both sprues in the box were identical. The receipt has vanished in the intervening months.

Feb 3rd 2018: returned the box to the store, they go 'hah, typical, no worries' and just grab a replacement sprue off the shelf, no fuss.

I know it's not painting-specific but GW/FW's customer service never ceases to amaze/please/surprise me.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    More work on team Blood Orange! Converted up Khorne's good dog Karanak, and repainted a Dread and my Caco Daemon Prince.
    chaos_karanak01.jpg
    chaos_karanak_turn.gif

chaos_dreadnought01.jpg
    chaos_dreadnought_turn.gif

chaos_cacoprince01.jpg
    chaos_cacoprince_turn.gif

On reflection, it bugs me that the cacodaemon is rotating differently than the others...

Here's the old colours:
    chaos-belakhorne02.jpg
    chaos-belakhorne03.jpg
    chaos-dread01.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
This discussion has been closed.