As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meownster Hunt[chat]

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    tho i haven't yet noticed a pattern for what triggers it hmm

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    what do you lose between the two

butter, cheese, cream (so alfredo, omg), eggs, honey, some others

Basically imagine if most baked goods sucked. That's veganism vs vegetarianism.

My story about this is that in my lab there was a gluten free person, a vegan person, and a person who liked to bake cakes for everyone's birthday.

It is possible to make a decent vegan cake. It is possible to make a decent gluten free cake. It is not possible to make a decent gluten free vegan cake.

You can make good baked goods that are vegan or even gluten-free. You just can't make all the kinds of amazing baked goods you get from just normal baking while doing those things. There's tastes and textures and structures and all that shit that just don't work without the ingredients you are cutting out.

• Options
    even tho it's annoyingly started requiring an account login to manage your drivers, i just noticed something useful about geforce experience: it actually keeps track (and thumbnails) of all the games on my system, which is handy between uplay, steam, origin, standalone stuff etc. i now use it as my 'what should i play' launcher

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    the doctor on ER just said he makes 23k a year

that seems impossible, even 20 years ago

a'yup

unless he was a first-year resident?

damn that's nuts. and no, I don't believe so

I always justified how little sleep they get and the insane stress by saying well they get paid so much...

and I thought that was true now, it doesn't come up almost ever but I certainly still believe they got paid super well

I guess it's just private practice doctors that make loads of money, I thought it was all of them

kind of floored honestly, that's like fucking nothing. for one of the highest stress and most important jobs that exist.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

a'yup

I always justified how little sleep they get and the insane stress by saying well they get paid so much...

and I thought that was true now, it doesn't come up almost ever but I certainly still believe they got paid super well

I guess it's just private practice doctors that make loads of money, I thought it was all of them

kind of floored honestly, that's like fucking nothing. for one of the highest stress and most important jobs that exist.

according to google, even the lowest paid full physicians (general practitioners/family doctors) average around 155k (all the way up to half a million for surgical specialties, anesthesiologists etc)

but yeah between undergrad and med school and residency (especially if they have a specialty in mind they can't get posted to right away) most of them don't start making that until well into their 30s

• Options
    oh okay, I am realizing I don't know what "residency" means

• Options

a'yup

Yeah, as far as I know (and I'm assuming it's even worse in the US cause lolamerica) it takes a bit to be making big money and you go into so much debt to get to that point you really gotta start hustling to get over the hump and so it's the old doctors who are making bank.

The long hours are basically a way to make all that money and also a hazing ritual of sorts. A really awesome one that kills a lot of patients on a regular basis.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    ugh I'm getting weird graphics flickering in chrome. y'all's avatars are blinking like crazy.

:sighs, updates graphics driver:

naw that's happening to me too

haha yep i was due for a driver update but the problem persists. sigh.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

A slightly inaccurate but helpful way to think about it is that it's an apprenticeship.

It gives fresh medical school graduates some hands-on experience under supervision of another doctor. How strict that supervision is depends on a lot of factors.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    ugh I'm getting weird graphics flickering in chrome. y'all's avatars are blinking like crazy.

:sighs, updates graphics driver:

So it's not just me?

Huh. I thought for a second Atomika had gone hardcore in her celebration of her move by making her AV flashy as fuck.

• Options

so a resident is an md- they're a doctor- but they have to be under the supervision of an 'attending' physician. like, i don't know how much autonomy you have, if a 'full' doctor has to sign off on everything you do. but it's basically babby doctor. the length of residency depends but for specialized surgeries, for instance, it can be almost a decade (and you're not getting out of med school until you're ~25 or something)

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    your avs look fine to me

;3

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

A slightly inaccurate but helpful way to think about it is that it's an apprenticeship.

It gives fresh medical school graduates some hands-on experience under supervision of another doctor. How strict that supervision is depends on a lot of factors.

yeah, the guy who said he made 23k (Benton, for anyone who's seen ER) must not be a resident because he gets a student (or, I guess resident) in the first episode (Noah Wiley)

• Options

yeah, the guy who said he made 23k (Benton, for anyone who's seen ER) must not be a resident because he gets a student (or, I guess resident) in the first episode (Noah Wiley)

Benton?

Oh, it's because he's black.

• Options
    I have heard Crichton wrote this in the 80s so maybe that's a detail he didn't change

plus right now another character (who was in that scene) is interviewing for a job where he's being offered 120k, so they may have used that value just to make the comparison more dramatic, making the other job more appealing.

• Options
    @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud
    i just thought back to your husbando who basically degloves his foot when my big toe started finally peeling from the thing. it basically all came up from the knuckle on both sides, all around the nail, until i was holding one gigantic hollow tube of skin and it's like my big toenail was a frenched lamb bone and all the skin was the meat around it

it was aesthetically beautiful

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Pretty sure NATO and Western Europe's plan for Scandinavia is for you to be a large enough speed bump to Russia that a counter attack can be put together to keep them out of Germany, France, and stuck in the Baltic.

24 hours

24 hours is how much of a speedbump we'll be - as in, norway. Or, that was the plan, back when we had a large invasion defence.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

so a resident is an md- they're a doctor- but they have to be under the supervision of an 'attending' physician. like, i don't know how much autonomy you have, if a 'full' doctor has to sign off on everything you do. but it's basically babby doctor. the length of residency depends but for specialized surgeries, for instance, it can be almost a decade (and you're not getting out of med school until you're ~25 or something)

It's a post-doc for MDs.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Pretty sure NATO and Western Europe's plan for Scandinavia is for you to be a large enough speed bump to Russia that a counter attack can be put together to keep them out of Germany, France, and stuck in the Baltic.

24 hours

24 hours is how much of a speedbump we'll be - as in, norway. Or, that was the plan, back when we had a large invasion defence.

Doesn't it take longer than 24 hours to get all the way around Scandinavia on like, the train?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    let's play Game! The! System!

worst, most annoying part of this assignment is worth 15 points

however every assignment in this class comes with a clear grading rubric (makes sense it's technical writing after all!)

minimum score for this section of the assignment is 0, for 'not attempted'. Next up 'does not meet expectations' is 9 points.

hell yeah get 60% just for writing any old bullshit lets do this

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

however every assignment in this class comes with a clear grading rubric (makes sense it's technical writing after all!)

minimum score for this section of the assignment is 0, for 'not attempted'. Next up 'does not meet expectations' is 9 points.

This is indeed the essence of community college

• Options
    edited January 2018

24 hours

Doesn't it take longer than 24 hours to get all the way around Scandinavia on like, the train?

depends on what you mean by "around"

through? From where to where?

actually no it doesn't: yes it takes more than 24 hours. Or, mostly, you can't. Not that many train tracks.

But after 24 hours there'd be nothing left of our armed forces and, without NATO, we would cease to be even just a speedbump, we could just be ignored

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I challenge you with my own bullshit class about witches

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I challenge you with my own bullshit class about witches

can I see the grading rubric of your challenge?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Ok no residents (at least in psychiatry) are not like postdocs

they have way way more autonomy and are hardly supervised at all

husband (3rd year resident) has all his own outpatients who come to him for therapy and meds; he is meant to meet with attending supervisors once every week or two to discuss any problems. That's it. They don't oversee his decisions on a case by case basis at all. Most of his work (3 days a week) is seeing outpatients in his office.
    Another day is didactics--lectures, journal club. Acknowledgement that he's a student sort of.
    The other day is a rotation at a med management clinic where he sees a gazillion patients with 15 min appointments and doesn't give them benzos

When he's on call (once every couple of weeks), he supervises medical students and younger residents doing consults. I think an attending will generally also see each patient on consults eventually, after the resident has figured out the problem and come up with a course of action. It's possible the attending only comes if there's a question?

They get a lot of autonomy and responsibility effective immediately after med school. Not quite an apprenticeship as much as on-the-job training.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Atomika the Safeway in cap hill is close to where I get my weed

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    thanks cred

although I am still at a loss as to Benton's position and his likely pay. may have to look up some show summaries tomorrow, they may explain at least the former

• Options
    edited January 2018

24 hours

actually no it doesn't: yes it takes more than 24 hours. Or, mostly, you can't. Not that many train tracks.

But after 24 hours there'd be nothing left of our armed forces and, without NATO, we would cease to be even just a speedbump, we could just be ignored

I meant from like Stockholm to Helsinki by land

Edit2: though I think it might just be a Mercator thing that’s making me say that

VishNub on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I just woke up from a nightmare who’s bed can I crawl into and sleep in until I’m safe again

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I just woke up from a nightmare who’s bed can I crawl into and sleep in until I’m safe again

Mine, I won't be going back to sleep for a bit. We can switch places in a couple hours maybe?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018

24 hours

that's possible, but why would anyone

post-36441-1176575526.jpg

(railway map)

also finland is not scandinavia :P

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    thanks cred

although I am still at a loss as to Benton's position and his likely pay. may have to look up some show summaries tomorrow, they may explain at least the former

Ah right and he makes somewhere between 50-55K after having made 0 as a med student.
    It was completely unreasonable during the first year of his residency (also confusingly called intern year) where he was on call a lot more and just working like 80 hour weeks, which made his salary hourly less than minimum wage :(

but holy fuck starting attendings make like 200K so uh

worth

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »

Mine, I won't be going back to sleep for a bit. We can switch places in a couple hours maybe?

*crawls into vh’s bed with teddy bear*

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

24 hours

that's possible, but why would anyone

https://www.diskusjon.no/uploads/post-36441-1176575526.jpg

(railway map)

also finland is not scandinavia :P

Many Bothnian Spies died to get us this information.

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    thanks cred

Ah right and he makes somewhere between 50-55K after having made 0 as a med student.
    It was completely unreasonable during the first year of his residency (also confusingly called intern year) where he was on call a lot more and just working like 80 hour weeks, which made his salary hourly less than minimum wage :(

worth

how many years spent studying instead of earning, plus what amount of student loans, does that have to weigh up for

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Butts

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    Butts

Butty McButtface

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    thanks cred

worth

a friend's wife was low-key griping that she owes ~$500,000 in student loans

but only low-key, because she is just hitting the part of her career where she makes $Texas annually

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    thanks cred

worth

how many years spent studying instead of earning, plus what amount of student loans, does that have to weigh up for

~40-50k for 4 years, plus Cost of living, expenses, iirc

Then residency, which is probably close to breaking even but not saving much for another few years.

VishNub on
This discussion has been closed.