As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Meownster Hunt[chat]

1939495969799»

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    thanks cred

although I am still at a loss as to Benton's position and his likely pay. may have to look up some show summaries tomorrow, they may explain at least the former

Ah right and he makes somewhere between 50-55K after having made 0 as a med student.
    It was completely unreasonable during the first year of his residency (also confusingly called intern year) where he was on call a lot more and just working like 80 hour weeks, which made his salary hourly less than minimum wage :(

but holy fuck starting attendings make like 200K so uh

worth

how many years spent studying instead of earning, plus what amount of student loans, does that have to weigh up for

in the US: 4 years college+4 years med school. Then 4 years of residency (in psych, more if surgery, one less for internal medicine?) at ~50K income.
    College prices+debts hugely depend on a person's family situation and choice of college. I knew a lot of low-income folks who got full rides to Amherst. But then I also knew a lot of rich people paying $45K a year for it (their families, though--not them). But other colleges are much cheaper.
    My husband's parents paid for his med school tuition, and also it was in-state so a lot cheaper. I think out of state tuition runs to about 50K a year?
    Some people are going to become doctors no matter what. A lot of people (like my spouse) are hereditary doctors and come from money.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    everything about medicine in america seems monumentally stupid and designed to be as expensive as possible

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    thanks cred

although I am still at a loss as to Benton's position and his likely pay. may have to look up some show summaries tomorrow, they may explain at least the former

Ah right and he makes somewhere between 50-55K after having made 0 as a med student.
    It was completely unreasonable during the first year of his residency (also confusingly called intern year) where he was on call a lot more and just working like 80 hour weeks, which made his salary hourly less than minimum wage :(

worth

how many years spent studying instead of earning, plus what amount of student loans, does that have to weigh up for

no matter what you compare it to it's going to be worth it after not too long

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    VishNub wrote: »
    thanks cred

worth

~40-50k for 4 years, plus Cost of living, expenses, iirc

wait what you guys have just 4 years for medical school? here it's six

EDIT: Oh. You have... college first?

I'm... confused. What do you study there, then?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    We are ridiculously privileged in not having student loans. Mine were only 4 figures and I wiped them out with my grad school income. Husband's family didn't let him take on any so he just didn't have them.

thanks cred

worth

But do people do medical school instead of undergrad like they do in some countries? And how long is the residency (if there is residency?)

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    thanks cred

worth

But do people do medical school instead of undergrad like they do in some countries? And how long is the residency (if there is residency?)

Yeah, that’s after 4-5 years of undergrad, which ranges from free to 40k.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    thanks cred

worth

i read while googling about resident salaries that the average md has ~150k in student loans. 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school, then an avg of 5 years of residency for a specialty beyond general practice? so if you're comparing it to the ocmmon undergrad jerb prospective... that's 9 extra years. say 10 years, if we're gonna dedicate an entire post tax year of salary to paying off that 150.

so avg bachelor's degree holding person enters job market at 21, 22? works for 43 years? avg 5 year residency starts working at like 32? so 33 years?

33 * 200k with no raises = 6.6 million dollars

43 years of work to reach 6.6 million means an average of 153,400 dollars a year over their lifetime

i'm p sure most fields don't even top out at 153,400 per year, let alone average that over a career (and this is assuming 0 raises for the physician)

of course this discards malpractice insurance but i'm p sure that if all you care about is the money, physicians still end up well in front of the vast majority of professions

thanks cred

worth

You study whatever, but it must include the 'pre med' requirements, which I will admit I also took cause I thought maybe I'd do med school.
    That means ummmm 2 semesters bio, 4 semesters chemistry including organic, one semester english, 2 semesters physics...ummm maybe you have to have taken calc but could have been in hs? And maybe something about a foreign language?
    Completely unclear why. In general in the US we don't track students basically ever--nothing like choosing focus areas in high school and then going to undergrad for really just one subject the way they tend to do more in europe. Everyone here is kinda a generalist...

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Does lab meat still count as vegan?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika the Safeway in cap hill is close to where I get my weed

I need to someday check up on that whole "Can I smoke weed?" thing

Organichu wrote: »
    thanks cred

worth

i read while googling about resident salaries that the average md has ~150k in student loans. 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school, then an avg of 5 years of residency for a specialty beyond general practice? so if you're comparing it to the ocmmon undergrad jerb prospective... that's 9 extra years. say 10 years, if we're gonna dedicate an entire post tax year of salary to paying off that 150.

so avg bachelor's degree holding person enters job market at 21, 22? works for 43 years? avg 5 year residency starts working at like 32? so 33 years?

33 * 200k with no raises = 6.6 million dollars

43 years of work to reach 6.6 million means an average of 153,400 dollars a year over their lifetime

i'm p sure most fields don't even top out at 153,400 per year, let alone average that over a career (and this is assuming 0 raises for the physician)

of course this discards malpractice insurance but i'm p sure that if all you care about is the money, physicians still end up well in front of the vast majority of professions

That income includes malpractice insurance; it's covered by your workplace. Or if you open your own practice, you pay it but your takehome pay is still like 150K or more depending.

thanks cred

worth

dunno about residency and I don't even know what undergrad really means, to be honest

if you want to study to become a doctor then that is what you study to become, after high school

ftOqU21.png
    undergrad is general college. some people will go to a vocational school- learn a very, very specific skill like being a mechanic or a plumber or whatever. but basically everyone who wants a white collar degree- english, creative writing, economics, business, engineering, medicine, law, anything- gets an undergrad degree. they may go straight into the workforce after that or they may pursue a master's degree or pursue medical school or law school or business school

but a bachelor's degree, 'undergrad', is a tick mark for almost any non-physical career in america

High school (4 years, ~18) —> undergrad/college (4 years, 22) —> med school (4 years, 26) —> residency (5 years, 31)

thanks cred

worth

dunno about residency and I don't even know what undergrad really means, to be honest

if you want to study to become a doctor then that is what you study to become, after high school

Undergrad usually means "university", that is, a 4 year institution you go to after high school to get a bachelor's degree. It's also possible to get an associate's degree form a two-year program (this type of program is called 'college' in russian, but in american english, college is essentially synonymous with university most of the time).

So I went to highschool until 18, then went to college/undergrad for 4 years and got a bachelor's in physics, then went to grad school and gor a PhD. Husband similarly went to high school until 18, went to college/undergrad for 4 years and got a bachelor's in biology, then went to medical school for 4 years, and now is a resident ie a low-paid practicing doctor operating under limited supervision, and has 1.5 years left of his 4-year residency.

I say college because my institution was called a college and not a university because it did not have graduate programs. However some places are called college and do have graduate programs :P

thanks cred

worth

You study whatever, but it must include the 'pre med' requirements, which I will admit I also took cause I thought maybe I'd do med school.
    That means ummmm 2 semesters bio, 4 semesters chemistry including organic, one semester english, 2 semesters physics...ummm maybe you have to have taken calc but could have been in hs? And maybe something about a foreign language?
    Completely unclear why. In general in the US we don't track students basically ever--nothing like choosing focus areas in high school and then going to undergrad for really just one subject the way they tend to do more in europe. Everyone here is kinda a generalist...

that seems... like a waste of goddamn time and money, to be honest

ftOqU21.png
    edited January 2018
    undergrad is general college. some people will go to a vocational school- learn a very, very specific skill like being a mechanic or a plumber or whatever. but basically everyone who wants a white collar degree- english, creative writing, economics, business, engineering, medicine, law, anything- gets an undergrad degree. they may go straight into the workforce after that or they may pursue a master's degree or pursue medical school or law school or business school

but a bachelor's degree, 'undergrad', is a tick mark for almost any non-physical career in america

the idea of general college is nutso to me

it's bachelors/masters for nearly everything here as well but you like, get a degree in something

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    thanks cred

worth

that seems... like a waste of goddamn time and money, to be honest

I believe that a liberal arts education expands the soul and improves critical thinking and is a great experience
    I don't know whether it makes someone a better doctor. Quite possibly just going straight to med school would be much better.
    In general, as Chu said, the 4-year degree is a necessary piece of paper for many jobs, whether or not the education actually conferred anything of value
    Plus it's good for networking and matchmaking
    Couldn't have married rich had I not gone to a rich kids school I think
    Really haven't met that concentration of rich people elsewhere in life

edited January 2018

it's bachelors/masters for nearly everything here as well but you like, get a degree in something

You still get a degree in something! It just tends not to occupy as great a percent of your classes as it might elsewhere. Like I majored in physics but it was probably only 30% of my classes (at a different school it would have been a greater percent but Amherst is up its own ass in any number of ways)

credeiki on

your undergrad degree generally is in 'something'. it might be computer science or biology (a common 'pre-med' track) or political science/english (two common pre-law tracks) or communications or whatever. but all post-graduate education- be that in furtherance of your computer science degree or your creative writing degree, or entrance to a specific, accredited, license awarding professional school (law school, medical school) requires that bachelor's degree first.

so every doctor or lawyer in america has an 'undergrad degree', which is likely in biology, chemistry, english, history, political science, w-e

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I have in my head an idea for a rom-com where two small-time con artists pretend to propose at nice restaurants and use the resultant good feelings to get out of paying for the meal, or, failing that, use it as an excuse to dine and dash, but then they really start falling in love

Ok thinking about it that sounds terrible, I need either a twist or a better romantic con

I think there's a whole potential subgenre to mine here: the rom-con

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Tbh I don’t know what my PhD is in technically Is it chemistry or organic chemistry???

The bs is chemistry for sure.

You still get a degree in something! It just tends not to occupy as great a percent of your classes as it might elsewhere. Like I majored in physics but it was probably only 30% of my classes.

that makes me just think that I'd prefer the other 70% to fuck off, then

or, maybe 50%, to allow for a bit of learning for its own sake, and then spend the rest of the time with, say, a job, to have money to live off of that doesn't come with interest

ftOqU21.png
    to be clear on vernacular, almost always undergrad degree is synonymous with a bachelor's degree. if you meet someone and they say they graduated college, they probably have a bachelor's degree (in english or history or biology or music or whatever). and then if they pursued further education they might say they have a graduate degree or they've got a phd if they went that far. but in either case, they also have a bachelor's degree (which is the same as an undergrad degree), in some specific topic. and if they say they went to law school or medical school, they too have a bachelor's degree/undergraduate degree.

You know what, I'm amending this.
    Aioua wrote: »
    everything about medicine in america seems monumentally stupid and designed to be as expensive as possible

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    edited January 2018

You still get a degree in something! It just tends not to occupy as great a percent of your classes as it might elsewhere. Like I majored in physics but it was probably only 30% of my classes.

or, maybe 50%, to allow for a bit of learning for its own sake, and then spend the rest of the time with, say, a job, to have money to live off of that doesn't come with interest

Wellll I double-majored in physics and Russian so I also took a lot of Russian classes.
    and then the remainder were chemistry and some biochemistry because I wanted to go to a more biology-oriented grad school program. The only useless class I took that wasn't for my majors or my grad school goals was intro japanese my senior year, and I enjoyed the shit out of it.
    But yeah it's tough if you're facing economic pressure.

credeiki on

There are a lot of people in the USA who agree with you about that.

I’m not sure where I come down. I don’t think I would/could have completed my core courses faster, so it was either more classes or more video games. Some of them were dumb, but most were at least somewhat interesting or illuminating

to be clear on vernacular, almost always undergrad degree is synonymous with a bachelor's degree. if you meet someone and they say they graduated college, they probably have a bachelor's degree (in english or history or biology or music or whatever). and then if they pursued further education they might say they have a graduate degree or they've got a phd if they went that far. but in either case, they also have a bachelor's degree (which is the same as an undergrad degree), in some specific topic. and if they say they went to law school or medical school, they too have a bachelor's degree/undergraduate degree.

I would not ask and would not expect to be told

I would expect something like, I am a nurse, I am a teacher, lektor, engineer, sivilingeniør, etc instead of "I graduated" because er, okay?

ftOqU21.png

I would expect something like, I am a nurse, I am a teacher, lektor, engineer, sivilingeniør, etc instead of "I graduated" because er, okay?

No one who’s not an asshole is going to start dropping their degrees on you, unless it comes up in a conversation like this

i am not saying people introduce themselves as having an engineering degree. people here would identify themselves as engineers before engineer-degree holders. i was just using that device to explain how people achieve schooling- the main point being that lawyers and doctors in america have to attend the same 'type' of university as everyone else who wants to go to college, and then attend med school or law school as well.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    as a degreeholder,

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.

No one who’s not an asshole is going to start dropping their degrees on you, unless it comes up in a conversation like this

I graduated from the school of hard knocks.

Aka dropping out of art school.

i wish i had a college degree but paying for and passing 30-40 classes is really fucking hard

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    someone just said Benton was "only a resident" because he's about to perform emergency surgery

funny note, they wrote his name on a board and the name above his was 'Wiley', which is his student's real name. I wonder if the other listed names were the actor's names... went by too fast.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was careening by at warp 1.8

@Organichu will create the new thread
    @knitdan is backup

This discussion has been closed.