As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I have the rouge single prong which is great and needed no break-in time.

In a commercial gym I would never do anything barefoot, both out of respect for other gym goers and the risk of someone dropping a plate on your foot.

I mean I wear socks.

But a sneaker isn't really going to help all that much if someone drops a 45 on your foot.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    You shouldn't lift barefoot (or in socks) at the gym primarily for reasons of respect. Get a solid, flat soled shoe.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So I need a bit of guidance. When I started lifting it was using the SL5x5 program. I really liked it because I had never done anything that let me get stronger so quickly. It was working because I had access to a gym with like 8 racks and not that many people. That gym shut down, but i found a similar environment but then I moved to chicago and haven't had luck finding anything but bigger chain gyms. So LA fitness has two nearby locations, one on the way home from work, and one about a 15 minute walk/couple train stops. I've only been to the on the way from work location so far but it is in a more crowded area, with more people and only 1 rack.

So far I've gotten by by just warming up on a treadmill until the rack clears but I think I need to start looking for a more versatile program or at least some good warm up or accessory options to start with so I'm not just waiting around to do squats every time

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Ask to work in betweem sets?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    Pretty much any decent program will require you to use a rack and squat. You can ask to work in or you can look for a better gym. There are often little pissant gyms around that are way better than an LA fitness.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I have the rouge single prong which is great and needed no break-in time.

In a commercial gym I would never do anything barefoot, both out of respect for other gym goers and the risk of someone dropping a plate on your foot.

I mean I wear socks.

But a sneaker isn't really going to help all that much if someone drops a 45 on your foot.

It’s not so much to protect your foot as it is to keep everything contained in your shoe while you seek medical attention.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Back in the day I used to be very "just ask to work in brah" but I'll confess that when I used 24 hour fitness here I lasted two sessions of waiting for a rack to open up and then just found a different gym.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I don't think anyone is actually going literally barefoot, I do it in socks. That takes care (sort of) of the hygeine. There's not really any difference between your feet touching the floor barefoot and sharing bars between pairs of hands. Hands are much dirtier than feet.

As for dropping a plate, I dunno, maybe it's a busy gym thing, but I've never had anyone that close that it'd be a concern.

Dhalphir on
    Socks smell. Wear shoes.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I mean, maybe if you're going to the gym after a long day, but I go first thing in the morning after getting out of bed, with a clean pair of socks on. Cloth doesn't smell until sweat dries, and it's not going to dry in an hour at the gym.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    If you forget your gym shoes, go with socks. But really, make a small investment and get a pair of dedicated gym shoes (even a pair of knockoff chucks if you're strapped for cash).
    If you do have to go with socks the occasional time, do it properly. Your shoes stay on until you're going to do your set. Get in the rack, or the platform, and slip them off. Do your set, slip them back on.

• HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    Or just embrace your inner weirdo and get toe shoes.

I really like my vibram five finger shoes for weightlifting and they are the only shoes that allow me to run on a treadmill without getting pain in my shins.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So the shoes I got I would never run in. They actually have very little cushion to them at all. In fact, I'm starting to think that the low-effort store I went to put them in that section just because. It was either that or "Running," which these definitely are not.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Shit weren't chucks like expensive for a while? I'm seeing em for a pretty reasonable price. They don't seem like they would be terrible for the short bike or rowing stints I do for cardio either.

Sleep on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Chucks have always been moderately priced, I believe. Maybe for a minute in the 80's were they expensive. And maybe now they're on a nostalgia upswing, because I've been seeing them around a lot more lately.

I think I'm hitting the ceiling of where the amount of effort I put into both my training (casual, max 2 times per week) and my diet (none) can take me.

This week I failed to hit my reps on almost any lift and those I did hit form is starting to suffer.

Was kinda hoping I could keep going higher during the winter until the golfing season starts again. But now I'm already stalling out two months early.

Now to decide if I want to put in more effort or be happy with current results.

One session doesn’t mean anything

Yeah, me being wrong is also possible.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Gym got a bunch of new equipment, including a couple big rogue power racks and barbells, and a shitload of big rubber bumper plates, including 55 pounders.

Some of the barbells are only 15kg though so I have to be careful to know which I'm using. Also I can't load a bar to my top deadlift weights using only the bumpers cus they're too fat.

• NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    That sounds like a good problem to have

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2018
    HoA-player wrote: »

It’s not that you’re wrong so much as that you shouldn’t panic based on one data point

Tube on
    That was a real bad autocorrect

Tube wrote: »

It’s not that you’re wrong so much as that you shouldn’t panic based on one data point

Being wrong would be good. Then I wouldn't have to change anything. :)

And I'm not in a panic. Most likely I'll just do what I'm doing now and if the weights don't go up then it no big deal. At most I'll start thinking about taking any supplements at all.

Weights are already higher than the have ever been and in two months I'll go back to just doing mantainance and stick to some lower weights, while golf is taking up most of my free time.

Are you lifting weights to improve your golf or just lifting to keep you occupied before golf weather arrives?

Kinda both, or rather I like doing both. I've been going to the gym longer then I've been playing golf. Being in decent shape certainly isn't bad for golf but I also just do it to stay healthy and because I like lifting.

Kinda both, or rather I like doing both. I've been going to the gym longer then I've been playing golf. Being in decent shape certainly isn't bad for golf but I also just do it to stay healthy and because I like lifting.

Well I have good news for you, being stronger has a pretty direct translation to faster clubhead speed and if you keep working on getting flexible in your shoulders/t-spine you should see a pretty significant benefit

And looking like Rory McIlroy wouldn't be bad either. Dude has a great upper body.

And looking like Rory McIlroy wouldn't be bad either. Dude has a great upper body.

He’s pretty jacked. I know TPI has used him as a “hey, look at this dude. He’s pretty fucking good and he lifts heavy”.

Anyway, if you have anything specific you wanna ask go for it, but I don’t do a ton of special shit with the golfers (collegiate) I work with. Mostly heavy barbell stuff with medballs and some plyos and Conditioning.

Thanks. But I'm pretty happy with my basic program. Day 1 squats / bench / chiups+dips. Day 2 deadlift / shoulder press / rows. 3 sets of 5 reps each. Add in some upper body rotation and cardio each day.

I try to just keep it simple and fast. But I also don't really make time for it beyond 2 days a week. And I don't put any effort into my diet. I just eat what's available at work for lunch.

Gonna hit a ceiling eventually with that level of effort. But I can accept that.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    sounds like greyskull method? whenever you seriously stall on a beginner program you can move to a similarly simple but more accessory focused program like 531. thats around when you get to the point where your diet starts to really matter. eating junk at that stage is the fast track to end up fat and injured

As far as I understand 531 would require at least 3 training days per week? Ideally even 4?

Which is the real question. Can I and do I want to commit to a program like that?

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    you can do two days a week with 531

edited January 2018
    It's strictly better not to cut down the days on 531 but stacking lifts together is not the end of the world. I would expect you would do bench and deadlift for one workout and squats and overhead press for the other

Dhalphir on
    Thanks. But I'm pretty happy with my basic program. Day 1 squats / bench / chiups+dips. Day 2 deadlift / shoulder press / rows. 3 sets of 5 reps each. Add in some upper body rotation and cardio each day.

I try to just keep it simple and fast. But I also don't really make time for it beyond 2 days a week. And I don't put any effort into my diet. I just eat what's available at work for lunch.

Gonna hit a ceiling eventually with that level of effort. But I can accept that.

It’s not a bad way to go about it! Simple is good. 2 days a week is fine, that’s how often I see the boys in fall and spring and the girls go 3 through fall and 2 days a week starting in February.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Nice day of deadlifting - hit 4x5 and 1x6 with 180kg. Up 7,5kg from last week. I lost about 2kg of body weight the last couple of weeks, so I’m pretty happy with how my program is going.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    Hit all my reps today. Crisis postponed.

Thanks for the pep talk.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, and I did a couple of sets of front squats afterwards.

l9snerroww4m.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So after another week, I think I'm just off this gym space. It feels kind of petty, but if I hate going there, I know I'll make excuses to not go all the time. I'm going to walk down to their other nearby location after work today and maybe they'll have more equipment space since it's a 2 floor building. If that's no good I found a couple other gyms from googling that are at least worth checking out in the general area. plus I'd be much more in to a gym in walking distance from home instead of convenient only on a drive home from work

initiatefailure on
    Hit 500 for a decent single. Did a back off for 10 at 405.

Did deadlifts, worked up to 520 something and then did sit ups on the Glute ham.

Downed a big ass bowl of rice, chicken, peas, corn, beans and onions and hope it goes straight to muscle.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Did something to my right wrist a couple weeks ago and it's very slowly getting better. Supporting the bar for presses aggravates it while pulling doesn't seem to bother it much. Going to wrap it somewhat gently and see if that helps with bench.

Will report back when I inevitably hurt it worse.

This discussion has been closed.