As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2018 [Hotel] Partners and Discussion

• starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    The hold will typically just be for 1 night's amount, just fyi. I wouldn't chance the the hotel you want will still be available in the next few weeks

5fhxvn385q28.png
  • yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    POE_SE1 wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed at the Boston Marriott Copley Place?

Yes but not for Pax. I stayed there for Anime Boston many years and its a really nice hotel. However for Pax I spend so much to go I get a cheap hotel and stay at the Midtown. I might cancel though and stay at Copley House instead (not on the hotel list, but its between midtown and marriott) and just walk to the midtown each day. You get a full kitchen which is pretty sweet and its usually a bit cheaper.

I mention Midtown because Midtown and the Marriott are on the same shuttle route. At least 2-3 times each weekend (especailly in the morning) the shuttle stops at Midtown and its completely full when we load up. We drive a few blocks down the road to Mariott and there is a massive group standing outside and the drive just goes by and radios in that they need to send a second shuttle for Mariott. Which of course they do, but thats gonna be another 20-30 minute wait. I always feel really bad for them becasue they are the second stop. Or you could take a walk down to Midtown (maybe 5 minutes?) and get on the first stop. Its not a huge issue most of the weekend, but it does happen.

I also had a drive once that stopped and let people stand in the aisles! It was crazy but I guess he didn't care about safety lol.

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    anyone staying at the revere hotel?kinda far at 1.8 miles but uber is always an option.anyone remember is the shuttle bus goes near it?

Just a heads up, last year I found Uber and Lyft to be in surge pricing almost the entire time, so I wouldn't rely on it ALL the time.

zmYaVYP.png
    edited November 2017
    ahh ok,first time renting a room so dont know squat lol.i did reserve it but then cancelled because dont have enough int he bank for the full amount for them to put a hold on just yet.hopefully in next couple weeks ill be good to go.

I have never had a PAX affiliate hotel put a hold on, or charge my card prior to checking out. Your milage may vary though

Bunta_Fujiwara on
    zmYaVYP.png
  • DaPunisher416DaPunisher416 Registered User new member
    Just thought I'd share some tidbit on the Hilton Boston Logan Airport. Seems to be wide open and not bad priced. I've never stayed there myself so can't comment on that. But since I work at the airport I can say that if you decide to stay here, you're connected to the airport and can take the Silver Line T straight to the waterfront which leaves you a couple of blocks from the convention center. And it's free "from" the airport but you gotta pay to return. If you sounds like an option, do your homework and check it out. Might work for some.

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Just thought I'd share some tidbit on the Hilton Boston Logan Airport. Seems to be wide open and not bad priced. I've never stayed there myself so can't comment on that. But since I work at the airport I can say that if you decide to stay here, you're connected to the airport and can take the Silver Line T straight to the waterfront which leaves you a couple of blocks from the convention center. And it's free "from" the airport but you gotta pay to return. If you sounds like an option, do your homework and check it out. Might work for some.

Similar to that is the Embassy Suites at Logan Airport. I really liked staying there 2 years ago, good breakfast, cheap. I'd probably stay there again but I got the Seaport this year so finally being close will be nice.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Stayed there a few years back and I've got no complaints beyond the commute. It was great having such an easy way in but it was about 30-45 minutes if IIRC.

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Currently stalking for 2, 2-bedded element rooms for Wednesday night and would appreciate any heads up if people see availability. In my panic I forgot Pax East was now 4 days and only booked Thurs-Sun, OOPS!

DXLJjjr.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Caught a 2 bed room at Embassy Suites available this morning and got onpeak to switch us over to that (we had the Omni Parker). For the four of us, it will be a much bigger room, free breakfast, and a pool/hot tub for Sunday before we leave.

As a side note - the Onpeak help desk people on the phone are crazy nice and helpful, I got right through to someone and she was really great.

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I'm hoping to catch an opening for the Westin since that was a HUGE help last year now that I'm using a cane to get around, but husband did get a room booked at one of the new hotels by the Lawn. Has anyone stayed at those yet?

UyhWici.png
  • mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I am gonna need another room at aloft if anyone is going to drop one. Please post. Please and thank you.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

I'm hoping to catch an opening for the Westin since that was a HUGE help last year now that I'm using a cane to get around, but husband did get a room booked at one of the new hotels by the Lawn. Has anyone stayed at those yet?
    Just checked and there are some openings at the westin right now

DXLJjjr.png
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Is anyone using Airbnb for PAX this year?

I have a hotel reservation but a friend found a possible better accommodation through Airbnb (2bd room apartment close to the hotel we usually stay at). Has anyone experienced issues using Airbnb for PAX?

• iltailta Registered User regular
    Is anyone using Airbnb for PAX this year?

I have a hotel reservation but a friend found a possible better accommodation through Airbnb (2bd room apartment close to the hotel we usually stay at). Has anyone experienced issues using Airbnb for PAX?

I considered it one year for PAX, but ultimately found a good hotel set-up. I would think it's no better or worse than using it for any other time or place.

• ChoujicosplayerChoujicosplayer Cape Cod, MARegistered User regular
    If anyone plans on dropping a room at the Westin please let me know. I've been checking periodically and so far no luck.

Get some cookies, so you can eat 'em and grow up big and strong and kick Piston in the butt-butt.
  • NintendoFanGirlNintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    Following this thread for the third year in a row :,)

I managed to book a single bed room at the Renaissance which isn't awful, but (like everyone else...) I'd really love to snag a room at the Aloft, Element, or Westin. Will keep an eye out if anyone is dropping!

In the mean time, tell me about your positive experiences at the Renaissance to make me feel better! I've stayed at Seaport twice so I have that distance experience at least.

• NFGNFG NintendoFanGirl Registered User regular

I managed to book a single bed room at the Renaissance which isn't awful, but (like everyone else...) I'd really love to snag a room at the Aloft, Element, or Westin. Will keep an eye out if anyone is dropping!

In the mean time, tell me about your positive experiences at the Renaissance to make me feel better! I've stayed at Seaport twice so I have that distance experience at least.

edit: and following it with the correct account as well... my bad.

S2ieAvx.png
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    I booked my room at the double tree the day hotels went live. I saved the confirmation code, but I still haven’t gotten an email or anything from them confirming my room. I know OnPeak handles the actual booking; I was just wondering if I was being paranoid or if I should look into this.

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    NFG wrote: »

edit: and following it with the correct account as well, 7. my bad.

The Renaissance is awesome. They have rollaways and cribs which some of the hotels do not. The staff is great, and their bar is nice. I also like the closer proximity to the restaurants, and the 7/11 in the sea front strict. We usually stay there. We have a friend who has a disability and needs to be slightly closer is the only reason we are moving a tad closer this year.

cocowoushi wrote: »
    I booked my room at the double tree the day hotels went live. I saved the confirmation code, but I still haven’t gotten an email or anything from them confirming my room. I know OnPeak handles the actual booking; I was just wondering if I was being paranoid or if I should look into this.

they wont email you til about two weeks out. basically onpeak books blocks of rooms, and then redistributes them to us. They send all their info to the hotels way closer to the date, after that you normally get a message from the hotel with the details. That is the point in which you can also call them and make requests etc.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• flaznarflaznar Registered User regular

I have stayed at the Ren several years (also Westin and Seaport). Downside is paying for wifi and the expensive nearby parking. Upsides (in addition to the proximity to BCEC you know) would be the availability of roll aways, Starbucks in the lobby, and closeness to J. Pace & sons for food. I have found street parking near the hotel before. I have also had excellent customer service there especially high in comparison to my experiences with the Westin. It is also good to note that I come to Pax with friends and family, with a roll-away 5 people fit in the 2 bedded rooms. We are all full sized adults and have always been comfortable. The walk can be breezy as you go over the highway, but since this year we are in April, it should be mitigated a bit.

I am happy to answer specific questions too!

• MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    NFG wrote: »

I've stayed at Renaissance twice now in my years going to PAX, and I love it. We stayed last year, and were strongly considering it again this year but decided to roll the dice on Yotel since it's closer. Now to be fair, we park at Alewife and take the T in (coming in from NH). So I can't speak to any hotel parking I've stayed at. And yes, paying for WiFi isn't grand. But the customer service is outstanding and the overall appearance is beautiful.

A word of warning about the "appeal" of having a Starbucks in the lobby. Expect lengthy lines of fellow PAX goers depending what time you go (not that us PAX attendees don't know how to handle lines :biggrin: ). We personally didn't use it, but on Saturday when we headed down to the lobby the line was out into the lobby. To their credit, they do a great job getting people taken care of promptly. But just an FYI.

The only downside we experienced last year outside of the hotel's control is while the walk was fairly short (only about 7 minutes), the path was very slippery and freezing cold. I know people are more optimistic given it's in early April vs early March like 2017 was. But any realistic New Englander knows most of the time the only difference between March and April weather wise is April starts with an 'A'. BUT, I will say that right next door to the Renaissance is a local convenience store where we stocked up on necessary supplies complete with a South Side Boston deli that served some of the best sandwiches I've ever had. Tres bien!

Overall, I think you'll enjoy your experience. And if you do end up staying, tell them Mephisto sent you. It won't do anything, I just want to see what happens. :biggrin:

To keep this feedback train flowing: Yotel. I know it's brand new, but if anyone has any recent experience I'd love to hear.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Watching the hotel site daily to try to get closer than the Yotel room I have. The way this winter is going, it will be another snowy Pax East and the least I have to walk the better.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
    By sheer luck just checked the site and got my 2 Wednesday night element rooms. Not sure how it happened but I'm fortunate!

DXLJjjr.png
  • sammillssammills NJRegistered User regular
    Bunch of rooms just dropped @ the Seaport if anyone's looking for anything closer!

yJyIjnX.png

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    I was so sad. Had the rooms picked out and they were gone by the time I finished typing my info

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    ishtra wrote: »
    I was so sad. Had the rooms picked out and they were gone by the time I finished typing my info

There are still rooms for the seaport up there.

DXLJjjr.png
  • lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    ishtra wrote: »

Lastpass form fill! :)

qtjvjrS.png
    Yeah I’m looking to upgrade to a double bed, so rooms are back up again right now, but not for 2 beds :( alas the watch continues

• nomisronomisro Brooklyn, NY, USARegistered User regular
    I'm currently looking for a Wednesday night + thursday night at the Westin. I have a 4 night at seaport that I could cancel afterwards

Anyone else staying at the Element the whole time? I usually stay at the Revere in the Back Bay area, but excited to be walking distance this year.

5fhxvn385q28.png
  • ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    starNOstar wrote: »
    Anyone else staying at the Element the whole time? I usually stay at the Revere in the Back Bay area, but excited to be walking distance this year.

TRYING to stay at the Element the whole time. Was only able to get one night (Thurs-Fri.), because when registration opened, it was an absolute abomination. Need Wednesday thru Sunday. Was able to get Westin for Thursday thru Sunday. Still hunting for that elusive Wednesday night.

ScoJoMo wrote: »

TRYING to stay at the Element the whole time. Was only able to get one night (Thurs-Fri.), because when registration opened, it was an absolute abomination. Need Wednesday thru Sunday. Was able to get Westin for Thursday thru Sunday. Still hunting for that elusive Wednesday night.

Ah, I was lucky. I was stalking the forums the days before/day of ticket launch and noticed that hotels launched a few minutes before passes were actually announced

5fhxvn385q28.png
    I will be at the element all weekend. I've also stayed at the Revere (super nice hotel btw) and I really like the convenience that the Element provides.

DXLJjjr.png
  • nomisronomisro Brooklyn, NY, USARegistered User regular

Will you be willing to trade? I have a Element Wed-Thur(double bed) and need Westin Thur-Friday(double bed)?

Is merging reservations easy?
    Today I snagged a Thursday- Saturday, and then a Saturday-Sunday at the Westin. I also have a Wednesday for the Element.

So essentially I wanna stay at the Element on Wednesday and the Westin Thursday through Sunday.

I ask because I don't want to lose any of them, but I've heard if you hold more than one reservations under a single name, it creates an issue.

zmYaVYP.png
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    It shouldn't be hard to merge your Westin reservations. I've done it before. You have to wait until OnPeak transfers them to the Westin, which is usually a few weeks to a month before PAX. Then call the Westin and tell them your situation and the should do it.

• ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    nomisro wrote: »

Will you be willing to trade? I have a Element Wed-Thur(double bed) and need Westin Thur-Friday(double bed)?

How would we do that? I'd also still have to switch hotels. I'm trying to get one or the other for the duration.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    OMG, was able to book Westin Th-Sun. Holding Yotel for Wed for now.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
    I merge every year and have had no issue with the starwood hotels. You just need to wait for rooms to transfer about 3 weeks before pax

DXLJjjr.png
    edited February 2018
    Lots of nights popping up for single beds in the Renaissance :D

ishtra on