As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Real Monsters

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Real Monsters

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Allaun SilverfoxAllaun Silverfox Registered User regular
    I imagine they stole the law stone, put it in a bag and beat them with it. Because you know, I AM THE LAW!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fucking quality. Though Kut Ku does feel out of sorts compared to all the actual monsters. He's just an egg thieving jerk. Also I like the throwback to the previous awful outfit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a great strip. :^:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fucking quality. Though Kut Ku does feel out of sorts compared to all the actual monsters. He's just an egg thieving jerk. Also I like the throwback to the previous awful outfit.

Can someone link that? Because I immediately thought that it was the same comic and they just redid it.

I do love this comic though. :+1:

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Fantastic comic that could only be improved by somehow incorporating the Law Stone in the outfit.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    This is the previous Monster Hunter Bird Head Comic.
    i-C2SxPsZ-2100x20000.jpg

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Turns out it's Man."

- Futurama, "The Scary Door"

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    This is what I first thought they were getting at when they said this game was more humane. That somehow a game about running up to wild animals and killing them "addressed" that aspect.

Didn't Pokemon once try bringing up the "is this really ethical" question, to no real payoff?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    This is what I first thought they were getting at when they said this game was more humane. That somehow a game about running up to wild animals and killing them "addressed" that aspect.

Didn't Pokemon once try bringing up the "is this really ethical" question, to no real payoff?

aren't some of the Pokemon, like... sentient, too?

it's cool tho, they're only "fainting" i.e. being beaten unconscious

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

I don't think there can ever be a real payoff. It's too far into opinion instead of fact. It's like arguing whether playing Risk is ethical or not. Two different people can come to completely different conclusions without having any actual errors or inconsistencies in the part of their arguments that are based on logic.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    In Black/White, Team Plasma was the local antagonist faction who had a public-facing platform of "capturing Pokémon and having them battle is immoral and should be outlawed", and their leader, N, who is something of a telepath, believes in this entirely and wants to bring down the system. However, a lot of their grunts are total hypocrites, in a "capturing Pokémon is immoral!" *immediately punches a Pokémon* kind of way.

At the end of the game,
    we learn that Plasma's true leader, N's father Ghetsis, is a total fraud who wishes to outlaw Pokémon capture for everyone else, so that he can use them as weapons and wage war to take over the world unopposed. N is truly sincere, but his position slowly becomes undermined as he listens to your Pokémon and finds that they're happy, which is something he's never seen before in Pokémon who had had a trainer; turns out that Ghetsis groomed N into his perfect spokesman by ensuring that he only ever was made to speak with Pokémon who had had abusive trainers that they hated.

It, like, comes close to saying "this is fucked up, actually", but has to back down because saying that without an asterisk would mean undermining the entire setting.

In contrast, Monster Hunter is actually straightforward, morally speaking. As much as hunting is in real life, anyway. A lot of the reasons why Hunters hunt exist in the real world. Overpopulation, need for resources, invasive or destructive species threatening either an ecosystem or human lives, that sort of thing.

• Options
    Yeah the monsters in monster hunter are just a natural part of their world, its more like deer hunting than like rhino.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    In Black/White, Team Plasma was the local antagonist faction who had a public-facing platform of "capturing Pokémon and having them battle is immoral and should be outlawed", and their leader, N, who is something of a telepath, believes in this entirely and wants to bring down the system. However, a lot of their grunts are total hypocrites, in a "capturing Pokémon is immoral!" *immediately punches a Pokémon* kind of way.

At the end of the game,
    we learn that Plasma's true leader, N's father Ghetsis, is a total fraud who wishes to outlaw Pokémon capture for everyone else, so that he can use them as weapons and wage war to take over the world unopposed. N is truly sincere, but his position slowly becomes undermined as he listens to your Pokémon and finds that they're happy, which is something he's never seen before in Pokémon who had had a trainer; turns out that Ghetsis groomed N into his perfect spokesman by ensuring that he only ever was made to speak with Pokémon who had had abusive trainers that they hated.

It, like, comes close to saying "this is fucked up, actually", but has to back down because saying that without an asterisk would mean undermining the entire setting.

In contrast, Monster Hunter is actually straightforward, morally speaking. As much as hunting is in real life, anyway. A lot of the reasons why Hunters hunt exist in the real world. Overpopulation, need for resources, invasive or destructive species threatening either an ecosystem or human lives, that sort of thing.

I've been watching Indigo League with my son and I think it's funny how the show clearly wants to teach you how to play Pokemon, but continually has Ash feeling guilty for doing things that you are supposed to do in Pokemon: attacking Pokemon unprovoked to catch them, making Pokemon evolve, etc. He even lets some of his Pokemon go! Having never watched the show before, I am curious how this kid with, like, four Pokemon is going to become the very best.

OT, Monster Hunter has such a cool premise that I always have wanted to get into it. I suck at video games though, so the learning curve might be an issue.

• Options
    Monster hunter is a combo of upgrading your gear, but as you do that you've had to upgrade your skill to get that gear. So you don't even notice at times that you're a god of hunting until you fight something like a jaggras for a bro and you wreck its shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    sokpupetsokpupet Registered User regular
    I mean, if Gabe ever finds their village, that lethally optimistic kut-ku would be right.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

At the end of the game,

I've been watching Indigo League with my son and I think it's funny how the show clearly wants to teach you how to play Pokemon, but continually has Ash feeling guilty for doing things that you are supposed to do in Pokemon: attacking Pokemon unprovoked to catch them, making Pokemon evolve, etc. He even lets some of his Pokemon go! Having never watched the show before, I am curious how this kid with, like, four Pokemon is going to become the very best.

OT, Monster Hunter has such a cool premise that I always have wanted to get into it. I suck at video games though, so the learning curve might be an issue.

In Japan, Monster Hunter is played by everyone, from small kids to senior citizens. You can play it, you just need schooling. Fortunately Monster Hunter has one of the most proselytizing fanbases there is (created by years of trying to get people to play a really difficult to get into game that is best in groups).

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

what actually is the premise? I'm finally in a position where I could play one of these games if I wanted to and this one is getting a lot of attention, but the only thing I know about the premise is that there are monsters and you hunt them.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

what actually is the premise? I'm finally in a position where I could play one of these games if I wanted to and this one is getting a lot of attention, but the only thing I know about the premise is that there are monsters and you hunt them.

That is the premise!

I guess the most notable other thing is just that the primary gameplay is basically all what would be considered boss battles.

You don't wait through lesser mobs to get to the boss. You just hunt out that boss monster and fight it. And then you hunt out and fight the next one. There are random wild animals running around that you can murder for some meat or something but most of them are passive. So it's all about fighting giant boss monsters that can take extended amounts of time to actually take down then skinning them for parts to make new gear. They have breakable body bits for extra loot and stuff. They come in all shapes and sizes each with various movesets to learn and practice as they will absolutely destroy you when you get hit by attacks.

That's the gist of it.

• Options

The premise of this mon hun is that you're going to the "new world" to explore a monster migration that has perplexed your forces for years. You're the fifth to explore, with remnants of the previous 4 fleets are still around.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I will just posit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

and later in the game you fight
    Bazelgeuse, which is basically a B-17, and I'm just sayin, the nazi's didnt have B-17s.

We may be the baddies...

• Options
    Just because we hunt creatures down into their nests and make armor from their rema... oh... OH GOD.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

The premise of this mon hun is that you're going to the "new world" to explore a monster migration that has perplexed your forces for years. You're the fifth to explore, with remnants of the previous 4 fleets are still around.

I just realized why everyone in town keeps calling me "fiver"...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

"Fiver Goes West"

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I have to wonder if its like meta commentary about the previous 4 generations and this is the 5th generation. Hence fifth fleet.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    The Law Stone is a lie!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

That storyline concluded that it's okay because the Pokemon totally like it.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The fun thing about that pokemon-plot is that the sincere guy is treated as royalty, and the bad guy ends up in civil war against a loyalist faction.