As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Veil] hides the Rising Tides

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It wouldnt be hong kong, maybe somewhere in guong zhou area thats mountainous (pretty sure i butchered spelling and pronunciation)

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It wouldnt be hong kong, maybe somewhere in guong zhou area thats mountainous (pretty sure i butchered spelling and pronunciation)

Hong Kong building a seawall that fucking huge and it working is very much intended to be an incredibly dumb 'sci fi did it' kind of thing more than a sensible choice. Mainly because I think the cities a reasonably cool place and the narrative of their muddled relationship with mainland China kind of works for me.

Also because, in the same vein of camp that leads all the cities to just be homages to older cities and brands/corporations to be the new nationalities, having a second 'Great Wall of China' was too hard for me to pass up on.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    China is the largest population centre at 3 million and is very much the exception.

New New York is the largest ISA city and sits at around 100,000 once you count the slums.

Outside of ISA Cities there's RNP outposts and independent settlements that will rarely get bigger than 10,000 at the largest.

So all in all you're not looking at a huge population.
    Oh shit, we are in water world? I was under the assumption it was like over hydrated Venice italy. Like, 200ft rise in ocean level, not cover the tops of the rocky mountains.

Shit is so flooded that everything except mountains is so deep you can sail your fuck off huge cargo ship without having any risk of hitting the bottom and beaching yourself. There's still outcroppings and some islands and junk but usable land past 'place to build a facility or start a mining operation from' is probably down to a few square miles at this point.

And this is what I mean when I say there's nowhere to run - plenty of space, nowhere to go. If there really are that few people and there's that little habitable space, virtually anything criminal above the level of breaking and entering is functionally an act of war.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Ok, ill buy that just for the fact itd be fucking impressive to see.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Auralynx wrote: »
    China is the largest population centre at 3 million and is very much the exception.

New New York is the largest ISA city and sits at around 100,000 once you count the slums.

Outside of ISA Cities there's RNP outposts and independent settlements that will rarely get bigger than 10,000 at the largest.

So all in all you're not looking at a huge population.
    Oh shit, we are in water world? I was under the assumption it was like over hydrated Venice italy. Like, 200ft rise in ocean level, not cover the tops of the rocky mountains.

Shit is so flooded that everything except mountains is so deep you can sail your fuck off huge cargo ship without having any risk of hitting the bottom and beaching yourself. There's still outcroppings and some islands and junk but usable land past 'place to build a facility or start a mining operation from' is probably down to a few square miles at this point.

And this is what I mean when I say there's nowhere to run - plenty of space, nowhere to go. If there really are that few people and there's that little habitable space, virtually anything criminal above the level of breaking and entering is functionally an act of war.

Figuring out which boat to nuke (or even if it's worth using a missile on) is tough among a sea of thousands upon thousands.. Plus the criminal element of this world are usually semi legitimized through the NRP's clout or protected through shady deals with various corporations.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Oh shit a population of just 100,000, that's like 2.5 the population of the small town/micro city I currently live in.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Sleep wrote: »
    Oh shit a population of just 100,000, that's like 2.5 the population of the small town/micro city I currently live in.

Yeah. New New York has a population approximately that of modern Albany, if Bunny's married to those numbers, and all of China is roughly comparable to Chicago.

This world is essentially a gigantic desert of water.

Like, there are literally more people in New York City right now than in the entire world according to those numbers, which I'm not disputing, just trying to frame properly in terms of scale.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited January 2018
    Water world, got it.

Are we on a 'BRINK' floating Arkology then?

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Like the glittering downtown for that place would be the size of the tourist district of Salem Ma wich is about 4 to 6 city blocks.

Like the glittering downtown for that place would be the size of the tourist district of Salem Ma wich is about 4 to 6 city blocks.

I'm thinking Cambridge, MA personally, but yeah.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I'm thinking Cambridge, MA personally, but yeah.

Comparable

edited January 2018

Yeah. New New York has a population approximately that of modern Albany, if Bunny's married to those numbers, and all of China is roughly comparable to Chicago.

Like, there are literally more people in New York City right now than in the entire world according to those numbers, which I'm not disputing, just trying to frame properly in terms of scale.

I might tweak the numbers but yeah, consider that this is probably like, 300 or so years after the entire earth flooded. How many people do you think could scramble onto boats? How many do you think survived the transition?

EDIT:
    Water world, got it.

Are we on a 'BRINK' floating Arkology then?

I just realized how much of this setting my subconsciousness probably pulled from BRINK and now I'm slightly angry at both myself and how bad that game was.

Double Edit: So probably will up the population numbers. At least enough that China is a full on metropolis and NNY has a larger slum population. Though I figure the central hub and piers, being basically artificial islands/giant ships would be more space limited.

Albino Bunny on
    edited January 2018

I might tweak the numbers but yeah, consider that this is probably like, 300 or so years after the entire earth flooded. How many people do you think could scramble onto boats? How many do you think survived the transition?

Sure, and again, I'm not trying to argue with you, just make it make as much sense as it can.

100,000 people trying to keep a mass of piers and boats afloat because they have to are going to be at more or less full employment just accomplishing that, not starving, and keeping the lights on, though, in the absence of some nearly-miraculous technology. There's got to be something keeping things running neatly if everyone can just doze off into VR on the regular, or even occasionally.

Having said that, if there are that few people in the world, what New NY has is manpower and probably know-how, and there aren't a lot of places to come by either from the sound of it, so your central idea here works!

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Yeah, will definitely need to adjust the numbers at least to the point where China's a full on metropolis and NNY is large enough to have some unemployment/luxury employment going.

So here's the problem in that kind of community... the economic stratification can't be that drastic. Like you're barely beyond barter town there for population numbers in some cases. If some folks are cruising the flotilla in the finest of tech, wearing real fine clothing while others exist in pure inescapable squalor just trying to keep their boat patched so they don't sink and die you're going to run into some pretty heavy civil unrest and "violent corporate takeovers". In a community of 100,000 organizing a revolt is super easy. Basically economic mobility has to be super fluid, where folks can go from taken care of to no longer necessary and thus "poor" overnight as their project completes or they are undercut by another person looking to do the same work. Ooh you guys finished building that rare new boat for some Corp jerk off? Best find another boat to build or fix for a corp or you aren't getting a ration tonight kind of deal. Ooh you finished coding that veil game? Best hope it needs patches or you're fucked.

edited January 2018
    If you are looking for a good number, modern Boston sits at about 300,000

Sleep on
    edited January 2018
    So here's the problem in that kind of community... the economic stratification can't be that drastic. Like you're barely beyond barter town there for population numbers in some cases. If some folks are cruising the flotilla in the finest of tech, wearing real fine clothing while others exist in pure inescapable squalor just trying to keep their boat patched so they don't sink and die you're going to run into some pretty heavy civil unrest and "violent corporate takeovers". In a community of 100,000 organizing a revolt is super easy. Basically economic mobility has to be super fluid, where folks can go from taken care of to no longer necessary and thus "poor" overnight as their project completes or they are undercut by another person looking to do the same work. Ooh you guys finished building that rare new boat for some Corp jerk off? Best find another boat to build or fix for a corp or you aren't getting a ration tonight kind of deal. Ooh you finished coding that veil game? Best hope it needs patches or you're fucked.

Yeah, that general tension is why everything I keep thinking up sounds a lot more primitive and nasty than The Veil seems to want to assume.

Having said that, it probably makes sense for New New York to be space-rich, relatively speaking. If there's room to get things made or grown there, it's a draw for everyone else. Assuming that the Hub is a functional gated community for the wealthy, it gives everyone else a lot of room to spread out over the Piers.

Also, a begged question that probably has an obvious answer: where do the machines that run the AR stuff live? It's probably the Hub, right?

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Yeah, that general tension is why everything I keep thinking up sounds a lot more primitive and nasty than The Veil seems to want to assume.

Having said that, it probably makes sense for New New York to be space-rich, relatively speaking. If there's room to get things made or grown there, it's a draw for everyone else. Assuming that the Hub is a functional gated community for the wealthy, it gives everyone else a lot of room to spread out over the Piers.

In general yes, this place is less sci-fi than the Veil tends to produce as a setting. The Veil tends to lean towards a VR drenched, clean and hyper urbanized kind of post cyberpunk. Where as we're firmly planted in more traditional corporate camp for a lot of our theming and have less of an emphasis on super tech (though obviously, the threads already made some evident like China's great wall).

Also for pop probably something like, 500,000 or so then? With only 100,000 on the central hub areas.

Something like 15 million for China considering it'd be Hong Kong + Significant urban growth.

Man farming tech definitely got way better and more efficient in the future.

Like i see these flotillas working on super shitty gig economies. Everyone, except the top positions, are temp positions. Not many folks have a day in day out job they expect to keep. Except in like Hong Kong, or at an R&D facility, or working on those deep water mining operations. Like the only straight up jobs exist in remote, possibly undisclosed, locations. On the floatilla though you just gotta make your niche, or live on contract work for the corps.

Like i see these flotillas working on super shitty gig economies. Everyone, except the top positions, are temp positions. Not many folks have a day in day out job they expect to keep. Except in like Hong Kong, or at an R&D facility, or working on those deep water mining operations. Like the only straight up jobs exist in remote, possibly undisclosed, locations. On the floatilla though you just gotta make your niche, or live on contract work for the corps.

Yeah, that's how I arrived at labor union-as-press gang, also. Sooner or later something's going to get done whether the people doing it want to or not.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Security work also tends to be pretty consistent as far as positions that aren't explicitly high up enough to get you a nice pad on the central hub.

Also, a begged question that probably has an obvious answer: where do the machines that run the AR stuff live? It's probably the Hub, right?

I could see folks hosting their own rigs. Like you could make money on your own by having an interesting AR offering. At some point your resources likely track back to a mega corp of some kind. Like you might have a cool AR restaurant you run. All your produce comes from x corp, all your fish comes from folks on the rim, but all the AR hosting is on your barge that you take from pier to pier and flotilla to floatilla as they pass close enough to one another to make the crossing not overly dangerous or costly.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    There was a lot of online discussion regarding Mass Effect Andromeda and viable population sizes. Those might be good places to crunch some numbers from to get a reasoned approach to humanity's remaining viability on Earth

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    If you're talking the moored flotilla slums the main obstacle to shifting them (aside from being hemmed in) is that criminals tend to control the comings and goings of the fringes. Using them as impromptu harbours that C-Sec has zero interest in even pretending to glance at.

I could see folks hosting their own rigs. Like you could make money on your own by having an interesting AR offering. At some point your resources likely track back to a mega corp of some kind. Like you might have a cool AR restaurant you run. All your produce comes from x corp, all your fish comes from folks on the rim, but all the AR hosting is on your barge that you take from pier to pier and flotilla to floatilla as they pass close enough to one another to make the crossing not overly dangerous or costly.

Sure - and I love the idea of the AR restaurant - but if the ivory towers are mostly-imaginary in this world, someone's got to be hosting the damn things.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Ringo wrote: »
    There was a lot of online discussion regarding Mass Effect Andromeda and viable population sizes. Those might be good places to crunch some numbers from to get a reasoned approach to humanity's remaining viability on Earth

The set-up as presently shown is pretty much directly out of Thomas Malthus' nightmares.

A thought: whaling? God knows there's plenty of space for whales now.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

The towers are still physically there on the central hub. AR in this world can't support you where there's nothing there. About the best it can manage here is that it can provide your mind the impression of sitting on a chair of a different shape to what you're actually sitting on but that sort of soft trickery tends to prompt headaches.

Oh yeah like the central dataspheres gotta be on the hub. I'd actually expect the central veil backbones to be equally as guarded as the hydroponics are. You know, bread and circuses, as it were.

Oh yeah like the central dataspheres gotta be on the hub. I'd actually expect the central veil backbones to be equally as guarded as the hydroponics are. You know, bread and circuses, as it were.

Most of the backbone is actually just the peer to peer network of devices that make up each given hub. Sci-Fi phone potential is pretty nutty. Especially the ones Corp execs have. Part of the reason the slum data spheres are so inconsistent and shitty by comparison is because the devices hosting it are lower quality and hosting amateur hour code with less positional data to anchor the Veil too.

Most of the backbone is actually just the peer to peer network of devices that make up each given hub. Sci-Fi phone potential is pretty nutty. Especially the ones Corp execs have. Part of the reason the slum data spheres are so inconsistent and shitty by comparison is because the devices hosting it are lower quality and hosting amateur hour code with less positional data to anchor the Veil too.

Ah the hardest part for me, divorcing near future tech from how I'd try to implement it given current tech understanding.

Yeah, I think for the most part is presume that computing got way the fuck better and people have gotten real fancy at industry, building and agriculture (otherwise how do they replenish fleets, make the great wall or feed the population even passable diets). Energy is mostly efficient solar, wind and hydro electric.

Weapons are still primarily firearms but with techy additions like soft auto aim and so on. Though melee weapons are making a come back due to the cramped and often volatile state of the slums.

Everything else is a kind of vague 'sci-fi does it until it steps over an imaginary line of too far advanced for what the setting wants to be about'.

just to get look and feel right in our minds

Outside of the corp hubs everything looks a bit garbage right?

Like inside the main hubs it's like contemporary modern building look and feel, if not a bit cleaner and more uniform. however out on the piers and in the slums its lookin like waterworld or mad max. The veil just covers most of it to make it look like not garbage everywhere.

edited January 2018
    The piers are more of a warehouse district with some nicities but yeah, the slums are a boat graveyard turned into people’s homes and places of work. There’s nice places and stuff in it but nothing looks new and everything tends to look a bit ramshackle.

EDIT: Also worth noting that the Veil in the slums isn't particularly deep or clever. There's plenty of places that don't have the Veil covering it at all.

Albino Bunny on

In general yes, this place is less sci-fi than the Veil tends to produce as a setting. The Veil tends to lean towards a VR drenched, clean and hyper urbanized kind of post cyberpunk. Where as we're firmly planted in more traditional corporate camp for a lot of our theming and have less of an emphasis on super tech (though obviously, the threads already made some evident like China's great wall).

Also for pop probably something like, 500,000 or so then? With only 100,000 on the central hub areas.

Something like 15 million for China considering it'd be Hong Kong + Significant urban growth.

Man farming tech definitely got way better and more efficient in the future.

Your food staples are going to be fishing based. Meat is the new bread. Starches and land based meat are going to be the luxury items. If you are worried about over fishing, dont be. IRL we only started hitting overfishing in the mid 60s and 70s when we finally hit 2 to 3 billion people. With our pop numbers being thrown about, id say 1billion total for the setting. Weve already seen as well with some protected fish populations that if you leave them alone for 2 decades, healthy populations return and after another 3 decades they are ready for limited commercial fishing again

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Also, probably because I'm trash (and it helps with character's recovering), I'm presuming that bio tech is pretty advanced. Both from a medical point of view (there's a lot of biology that goes into getting the Neurochip to work after all) and in terms of body modding scenes among the less high class. So there's people with cat tails and folk who get super noses as sensitive as a dogs.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    1) What's an app on your phone? Is it integrated heavily with the Veil? Is it widely used or more niche? Why does it hold that place in the culture? How does it generate revenue?

An app on my phone, and on the phones of most corporate workers of significance that work with sensitive information, is SecuriTalk.

What this app does is allow two people to exchange a key and have a secure conversation verbally. Space is a primary concern in New New York, even if someone is standing far away from you in the veil, they might be standing right next to you in meat space, and spies have ways to listen from their physical location, not their veil location.

To an outside listener the two speakers are speaking a rapidly shifting mix of languages and pidgins, and even if you understand the obscure language being spoken the talk is utter nonsense. Sometimes it switches out of words and into bird songs, mechanical clicking, and more. The two conversing are always in sync through these shifts speaking the same bizarre tongue.

This app heavily leverages the remote processing power of the veil to in real time code the speaking and decode the listening of the two conversationalists, it requires significant computation power as the cypher constantly shifts and morphs.

As a result it’s use is largely limited to powerful corporate individuals, however, it has been monetized in the form of time rentals. Very expensive and payment is often by the minute, but those in need of security are willing to pay the price.

2) Where's a location that sticks out? Where is it in the slums, the piers or Phoenix York proper? What sort of people hang around it? How clean is its data sphere?

A location that sticks out, quite literally, is the Dry Land. Dry Land is an aerial bar, a circular, window panes building at the top of a large tower, accessible by a single reinforced lift that is heavily guarded and entry is by permission only. It has a commanding view and is visible from much of New New York. The food and drinks are exquisite, all soil grown, and any trace of errant moisture is meticulously filtered out by the restaurant’s dehumidifiers and drained down long tubes into the slums below. It is a place exclusively for high powered corporate higher ups. It’s data sphere is immaculate.

3) Who is someone everyone knows? How wide is their fame, just local or world wide? What are they famous for? How do two different groups view them?

Nakamura Joe. If you have ever tried to get anything in to or out of New New York you’ve certainly heard of the head of Cal-Tech. How you feel about him comes down to if you are on his good side or not (mostly through a steady stream of deniable bribes and incentives). He can make your illicit package slip in unscanned, or keep your boatloads of raw materials held up in paperwork for years.

Going to work on the Corp my executive works for now, Cal-Tech. Then my executive.

I feel like I almost need to build my executive backwards, big world stuff, then Corp, then executive to make it all fit.

Dry Land is genuinely the perfect sort of excess for this setting in terms of its scale and concept.

Okay then, game will be 'on' from 6PM GMT till probably like 11PM unless I get interrupted or whatever. The first session will be getting Roll20 organized and junk with some play involved. Also to organize voice we'll be using this discord server.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Unfortunately I have a previous obligation this weekend but hopefully I can get involved later.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I won't be available until 8pm GMT tomorrow, but after that I'll be there

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG