As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Caves . . . I hate caves. (The levels specifically)

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I'm liking those character shadows being generated from the lighting.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Holy fuck that looks amazing.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m down for ancient Edo buttrock.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

...missed the "r" the first time I read that.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

...missed the "r" the first time I read that.

Yes, also that.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So I was listening to some of the old Castlevania OST's today, and I realized I never got to talk to anyone about the Castlevania anime Warren Ellis wrote. What did you all think of it? I wasn't really feeling the beginning, but I was pretty sucked in by the end.
    Sypha was cool, and the whole intro & fight with Alucard at the end was awesome. Bit of a shame it doesn't seem like Grant will be included. Matt Frewer put in another good performance as a typically weaselly baddie. His character's best scene was being confronted by the demon at his end. Anyone wanna take bets he shows up again later on and becomes Shaft? I don't think they ever named him. I also liked all the little bits from the games they threw in; the arcing thrown axe, the use of throwing daggers, the platforming segment with the giant gears, Alucard's teleport-slashy special move from SoTN, etc, etc.

My main complaints were:
    • The anti-christian parts were a bit heavy handed, but I'm kind of used to it due to having been real into JRPG's and anime growing up. Still would've been nice if there'd been a little more nuance to it. After all, in the games christian stuff has a much more ambiguous portrayal since objects of faith generally work and churches besides the royal chapel are usually functional safe havens. Less "there is no god" and more "the organised religion was corrupt".
    • The gore was a bit much. There's an art to depicting terrible things without having to show it in graphic detail; it's why people who are really into film go nuts over Psycho's shower scene. I recognize they were going for the excessively violent feel of an 80's OVA, but still.

Edit: heh, backtracked a few pages and saw all the discussion of the series, cool to see a lot of people seemed to share most of my thoughts about it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I am waiting with bated breath for the second season. Everything in it felt fantastic to me. Like, you mentioned 80s OVA, though it actually made me think of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust in style (with yes, some Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D original style stuff thrown into the mix). I felt like the issue was exactly that the entire Christian influence in that area had become corrupt, not just a few folks but the entire thing had become rotten. I liked that as well, because it shows just how far the folks have fallen, just how hard it is to fight for them when it would just be easier to let them get gobbled by Drac's minions.

I just really enjoyed the entire feel and I can't wait for more, though I'll have to anyways. :wink:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Pacing and structure wise it feels awkward to me, in between a short episodic series that doesn't quite have enough beats to feel like each episode has its own standalone moment, but still a hair's breadth too long for a film of similar pace

But in terms of content everything technical and artistic about the storytelling and writing is fucking great and is totally worth watching in its own right whether or not one has any attachment to the Castlevania franchise

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So I was listening to some of the old Castlevania OST's today, and I realized I never got to talk to anyone about the Castlevania anime Warren Ellis wrote. What did you all think of it? I wasn't really feeling the beginning, but I was pretty sucked in by the end.
    Sypha was cool, and the whole intro & fight with Alucard at the end was awesome. Bit of a shame it doesn't seem like Grant will be included. Matt Frewer put in another good performance as a typically weaselly baddie. His character's best scene was being confronted by the demon at his end. Anyone wanna take bets he shows up again later on and becomes Shaft? I don't think they ever named him. I also liked all the little bits from the games they threw in; the arcing thrown axe, the use of throwing daggers, the platforming segment with the giant gears, Alucard's teleport-slashy special move from SoTN, etc, etc.

My main complaints were:
    • The anti-christian parts were a bit heavy handed, but I'm kind of used to it due to having been real into JRPG's and anime growing up. Still would've been nice if there'd been a little more nuance to it. After all, in the games christian stuff has a much more ambiguous portrayal since objects of faith generally work and churches besides the royal chapel are usually functional safe havens. Less "there is no god" and more "the organised religion was corrupt".
    • The gore was a bit much. There's an art to depicting terrible things without having to show it in graphic detail; it's why people who are really into film go nuts over Psycho's shower scene. I recognize they were going for the excessively violent feel of an 80's OVA, but still.

Edit: heh, backtracked a few pages and saw all the discussion of the series, cool to see a lot of people seemed to share most of my thoughts about it.

Regarding Christianity, it actually does exactly what you wanted.
    The protection of the Church fails because they stopped believing and were corrupt. The demon explicitly says that they can enter the Church because the priests have made it unholy through their actions. Meanwhile, Belmont receives holy water from a non-evil church priest and it works as an anti-demon weapon.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I also liked all the little bits from the games they threw in

My favorite example of this was
    the fight with the Cyclops. They pretty much pulled that straight from Castlevania III and brought it to life. I also liked the comment Trevor makes about Sypha being "dressed as a boy", which I'm assuming is a reference to the confusion over her gender back in the NES days.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

My main complaints were:

Regarding Christianity, it actually does exactly what you wanted.
    The protection of the Church fails because they stopped believing and were corrupt. The demon explicitly says that they can enter the Church because the priests have made it unholy through their actions. Meanwhile, Belmont receives holy water from a non-evil church priest and it works as an anti-demon weapon.

Let's be honest here too...
    The church in the middle ages was corrupt as hell. One of the things that led to Luther breaking off was bishops explicitly preaching "pay us and your loved ones get into heaven".

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Dirty wrote: »

the fight with the Cyclops. They pretty much pulled that straight from Castlevania III and brought it to life. I also liked the comment Trevor makes about Sypha being "dressed as a boy", which I'm assuming is a reference to the confusion over her gender back in the NES days.

I thought it was supposed to be a Samus-type reveal.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    The animation looks weird. It's like the way they'd animate using sprites, only with a 3D model. Still, overall that's looking cool as hell. Who is their composer on this?

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The animation looks weird. It's like the way they'd animate using sprites, only with a 3D model. Still, overall that's looking cool as hell. Who is their composer on this?

Michiru Yamane is one of the main composers. She did a lot of the great Castlevania music from Symphony of the Night onwards (as well as a song or three in Bloodlines).

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I don't claim to know the writer's intent, but back when Castlevania 3 was translated to English, the message asking you to take a new partner was something like "take him with you?" Since this message was used for all 3 characters, many players assumed they were all men. To make matters worse, the US manual referred to Sypha as a man as well (probably based on the in-game message). I was just assuming that was being referenced.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Michiru Yamane is one of the main composers. She did a lot of the great Castlevania music from Symphony of the Night onwards (as well as a song or three in Bloodlines).
    Oh I know the name, and hooray!

I don't claim to know the writer's intent, but back when Castlevania 3 was translated to English, the message asking you to take a new partner was something like "take him with you?" Since this message was used for all 3 characters, many players assumed they were all men. To make matters worse, the US manual referred to Sypha as a man as well (probably based on the in-game message). I was just assuming that was being referenced.

Aye, but Metroid did the same thing in its manual. But at the end of Castlevania III, it's revealed -- or at least implied-- that Sypha is a woman.

Another update, this one showing the crafting system:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t35UmYj25cc

...yes, that is definitely some menus showing a crafting system.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I believe that's the point. Bloodstained's entire aesthetic is meant to resemble the action of sprite games, just using 3D models to keep costs and production time manageable.

2D animation production costs are too high for HD, but there's no reason a 3D model can't change poses from one frame to the next, it's just not convention. While it's usually not done for aesthetic reasons, it provides the snappy level of responsiveness most sprite-based games have. I really like that they are doing this to keep the feel of the action closer to its roots.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I believe that's the point. Bloodstained's entire aesthetic is meant to resemble the action of sprite games, just using 3D models to keep costs and production time manageable.

2D animation production costs are too high for HD, but there's no reason a 3D model can't change poses from one frame to the next, it's just not convention. While it's usually not done for aesthetic reasons, it provides the snappy level of responsiveness most sprite-based games have. I really like that they are doing this to keep the feel of the action closer to its roots.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to attack the decision to do it or anything. I just need time to adjust to its style.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to attack the decision to do it or anything. I just need time to adjust to its style.
    I didn't think you were, I in fact felt you were trying to come to terms with it. I happen like explaining things, perhaps overly-so. If it helps, you can read everything I write in Mr. Data's voice.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    New update. Interviews with the music people:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfJ7TqkjKeU

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    When is this supposed to come out???

No-Quarter wrote: »
    When is this supposed to come out???

March 2017, according to the original kickstarter pitch.

Then they bumped it another year.

And now I think it's just "2018."

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    You should always just expect kickstarters to come out whenever. But this one has always been making very clear progress to the point where I have faith it will be sooner rather than later.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Most of the big kickstarter games i've backed have taken about 2-3 years to release

Tairu on
    I'm not sure if I've ever had a Kickstarter game come out on the projected release date. This is the last one I backed, and I fully expected it to be late.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Per the last backer update a new demo is coming, too.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I believe that to be one of the more 'last steps' of a game. It's probably really close to completed being feature locked.

KoopahTroopah on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I believe that to be one of the more 'last steps' of a game. It's probably really close to completed.

Well, feature-locked. Polish and bug-fixing can take time, and there still might be some bits of the game that still need to be completed. But it's progress!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Man, I remember doing the sword/whip voting thing back when my wife was in labor with our daughter.

She turns 3 at the end of next month.

Fawst wrote: »
    Man, I remember doing the sword/whip voting thing back when my wife was in labor with our daughter.

Has it only been three years now? Feels like it's been longer, but that makes sense.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »

Has it only been three years now? Feels like it's been longer, but that makes sense.

Every now and then I remember selecting the Wii U as my platform of choice, and then I remember that yeah, it’s been a while. Honestly haven’t been impatient about it until just recently, and that’s only due to it getting closer to release.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Game music from Bloodstained they just included in an email.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Konami should release Harmony of Despair on the Switch with an improved RNG system. I'd happily plop down $20 for HoD on the go.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
This discussion has been closed.