As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wid[chat]

1939495969799»

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Our first anthem, Norges Skaal, Norways' Toast, reminds one that a lot of the driving force behind the constitution and our liberation from sweden a hundred years hence, was composed of (frequently drunk) students.

https://youtu.be/o46WtmyVYDI
    For Norway, birthplace of giants,
    we this Toast will empty!
    And when we first get our blood in a boil,
    we sweetly of liberty dream.
    Though we will someday wake up
    and break chains, ties, and force.
    For Norway, birthplace of giants,
    we this Toast will empty!

A toast to you, my jolly friend,
    and to Norwegian lasses!
    If you have one, then a toast to that,
    and shame on he, who fails!
    Yes, shame he who loves force,
    and hates girls, wine and song!
    A toast for you, my jolly friend,
    and for Norwegian lasses!

And yet a toast for Norway’s mountains,
    for cliffs, snow and hills!
    Hear Dovre's echoes cry: “Good Luck!”
    for its toast thricefold thanking.
    Yes, thrifold three all mountains will,
    for sons of Norway cry Good Luck!
    Still yet a toast for you, my mountain,
    for cliffs, snow and hills!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Oh nice got a message from Turbotax that the return should be deposited soon.

Mine has been at “accepted” status according to TurboTax since before the IRS was even accepting returns :-/

Turbotax website still says accepted still so email may be a cruel mistake heh.

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

Oh yeah thanks I always forget about the website.

Yup sent to Turbotax yesterday. They will take their cut and ill get it soon. Had that lucky SSN this year I guess.

I was married and filed joint last year, wondering if the AGI my ex gave me was even correct.

VishNub wrote: »
    I think it's like one of the scandinavian countries -- they had a nest egg from selling oil rights. Except Alaska has wasted most of it.

that'd be us

ftOqU21.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Ha, there's loads of press being given to a new wonder material that doesn't support the growth of biofilms.

I've just read the paper. It's a nanostructured surface that effectively has lots of little wrinkles filled with silicone oil. By their own admission it washes away in a couple of days. And it's filled by spin coating.

Sounds super useful.

Yeah but carbon nanotubes

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    not like Twin Deficit Bonanza needs one to avoid dutch disease tho

aRkpc.gif
    I think it's like one of the scandinavian countries -- they had a nest egg from selling oil rights. Except Alaska has wasted most of it.

Alaska gives it away every year to its citizens.

I like that because even though it's not enough money to live on or anything, like a thousand per person, it's step one towards a UBI (and from a red state!).

it's a pretty stupid use of it, economically, but like, nice if you are going to be dumb with it

ftOqU21.png
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Castle Update: I am still sleepy. I went to bed "early" last night which was at approximately... 12:40am. God damnit, you fucking sack of shit Castle!

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    every day I think man I'm going to go home and just pass out then I don't and stay up until about 1am then wake up at 7:30am

This tax return represents the very last tendril of my marriage being released.

I've double checked my credit report and various other things and there's nothing left, I've exterminated all of it.

Well, the car too... maybe I should get rid of the car

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ha, there's loads of press being given to a new wonder material that doesn't support the growth of biofilms.

I've just read the paper. It's a nanostructured surface that effectively has lots of little wrinkles filled with silicone oil. By their own admission it washes away in a couple of days. And it's filled by spin coating.

Sounds super useful.

Yeah but carbon nanotubes

This was just teflon on top of those shrinking plastics to cause lots of little bunched wrinkles.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Sounds super useful.

well I mean

it sounds like it might be an important step towards developing something that is more useful

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    Geth you sorry bot do your fucking job before this place turns into big eyes and tits

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Sounds super useful.

If it has the word nano in it it's 99% useless as near as I can tell.

This is hyperbole, but like, I've seen too many seminars where people wrote their name using a laser on a wafer of some shit and then it was never heard from again

VishNub on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    nanotubes?!?!

YvALVD9h.png

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The US is probably the largest oil producer in the world right now.*

*And is the only major one without a sovereign wealth fund

L3aUsmp.jpg
    Obama obviously ended the war on oil. There can be no other explanation!

The nano invention they need to get going is DNA digital storage.

That shit is just as sci fi as shit gets.

I've double checked my credit report and various other things and there's nothing left, I've exterminated all of it.

I got you, fam. I need you to do a popper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7AhJ9iaMI

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Castle Update: I am still sleepy. I went to bed "early" last night which was at approximately... 12:40am. God damnit, you fucking sack of shit Castle!

https://youtu.be/_X2_8WBC6eA

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies

It turns out that making really long oligos by hand is a colossal pain in the ass.

Also, is DNA more information dense than like, a SSD?

Abdhyius wrote: »

Alaska gives it away every year to its citizens.

I like that because even though it's not enough money to live on or anything, like a thousand per person, it's step one towards a UBI (and from a red state!).

it's a pretty stupid use of it, economically, but like, nice if you are going to be dumb with it

They could have used the money for something even more foolish like ridiculously subsidized petroleum like Venezuela did.

I got you, fam. I need you to do a popper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7AhJ9iaMI

Yeah.

There's still a country CD jammed in the CD player and whatnot.

I'd just rather be done with this thing, it's not paid off until next march.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Synthetic biology is going to be the next big thing. I would advise everybody to get a PhD in it right away

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

i woke up at 7:30 am today and went to bed at around 3:30 am yesterday

checkmate atheists

Synthetic biology is going to be the next big thing. I would advise everybody to get a PhD in it right away

What about my masters in data science tho

What's all this fucking math for then

*flips cubicle*

I'm laughing at work watching it's always sunny now

this might be my favorite all time part because of how Charlie reacts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROCKGuuviis

It turns out that making really long oligos by hand is a colossal pain in the ass.

Yes. A shitload more.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m making potatoes and u can’t stop me

Aioua wrote: »

https://youtu.be/_X2_8WBC6eA

every.

single.

day.

so.

far.

also that is SO COMPLETELY ME. "Am I? *sips drink*"

Yes.

1 gram of DNA is roughly a billion terabytes.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Well I’m cooking them I didn’t grow them myself or anything

Yes.

1 gram of DNA is roughly a billion terabytes.

Huh.

*thinking*

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Geth you sorry bot do your fucking job before this place turns into big eyes and tits

b-baka . . .

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    President Nicolas Maduro said pump prices of premium fuel would rise from the equivalent of $0.01 a litre to about $0.60 (£0.40).

The cost of lower grade petrol would rise to about $0.10 a litre.
    This was in 2016. The negative externalities have to be horrific.

What about my masters in data science tho

What's all this fucking math for then

*flips cubicle*

Oh if you have that now then you're all set too. It's just in 5 or so years the market will be saturated there and new tools will mean that everybody just does a little bit of it.

okay I need to marinate and cook some chicken drumsticks in my instant pot tonight. I wonder if I can also cook rice simultaneously????!?!?!???

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was speeding through space at warp 2.6

@jungleroomx will create the new thread
    @DevoutlyApathetic is backup

This discussion has been closed.