As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Pokemon: Rashomon League

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    "Well, Actually..." is actually a really good move name for the Nerd playbook.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Actually, at terminal velocity, you fall at exactly 1G, having started at 0G

At terminal velocity you would be experiencing 0 G, as G is an acceleration, not a velocity. Without wind resistance, you would be accelerating at 1G until you hit the end point, at which point you would accelerate negatively, and your total negative acceleration after impact divided by 9.8m/s^2 would be the "g" force of the impact.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I don’t understand what traversing hives are like in 40k

This is more of a 40k thing, but since in DH you have to walk around them on the ground it matters in an RP sense.

Basically I made a GM decision to let my players understand that they’re like super dense NYCs or cyberpunk style cities with an emphasis on the gradual incline from the lowest poorest and most (relatively) dangerous parts that reach the outside ground (but cover the underhive) into the richest and highest areas of the hive. If one were to look from a habway street, the street and surrounding area looks on the level, but you can look up and see the pollution, spires, and the city very gradually rising to the apex as the vertical ultracity it is. The spires are still a big thing, but in my mind the spires aren’t “The Mainhive” so to speak. They are everywhere and omnipresent but there’s a rising ground floor where the majority of people live and work and die. They blot out the sky for he majority of the people along with the pollution and the multitude of buildings around.

Like I never understood the habways between spires in artwork. Were like magrails (subways) or busses or whatever built only for that linear stretch? Who would sell an autocarriage for only one road?

This was mainly to get my thoughts out. It’s a subject I have been thinking on and off of for months since one of my players said he didn’t really understand how 40k works, especially with travel and such.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

At terminal velocity, you fall at exactly 0 g, having started at 1 g.

At terminal velocity, you're no longer accelerating, having achieved your maximum (terminal) velocity. So, definitionally, your acceleration is 0 regardless of unit.

When you start falling, the only force acting on you is gravity, which (on Earth) gives you an acceleration of 1 g. (This will be reduced immediately as wind resistance kicks in and reduces your acceleration.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I don’t understand what traversing hives are like in 40k

This is more of a 40k thing, but since in DH you have to walk around them on the ground it matters in an RP sense.

Basically I made a GM decision to let my players understand that they’re like super dense NYCs or cyberpunk style cities with an emphasis on the gradual incline from the lowest poorest and most (relatively) dangerous parts that reach the outside ground (but cover the underhive) into the richest and highest areas of the hive. If one were to look from a habway street, the street and surrounding area looks on the level, but you can look up and see the pollution, spires, and the city very gradually rising to the apex as the vertical ultracity it is. The spires are still a big thing, but in my mind the spires aren’t “The Mainhive” so to speak. They are everywhere and omnipresent but there’s a rising ground floor where the majority of people live and work and die. They blot out the sky for he majority of the people along with the pollution and the multitude of buildings around.

Like I never understood the habways between spires in artwork. Were like magrails (subways) or busses or whatever built only for that linear stretch? Who would sell an autocarriage for only one road?

This was mainly to get my thoughts out. It’s a subject I have been thinking on and off of for months since one of my players said he didn’t really understand how 40k works, especially with travel and such.

There's no exposure to the outside in a Hive. Outside is ash wastes. A hive is a massive enclosed space layered many time. When you look up you see a vaulted ceiling high above.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Yeah Hives are more like vast sealed arcologies which have become dysfunctional warrens of ancient, barely functioning machinery than they are flat cities with various spires and such. Cities like that absolutely do exist in the Imperium! But your classic Hive is Necromunda, which looks like this;

latest?cb=20140923103218

Solar on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

At terminal velocity you would be experiencing 0 G, as G is an acceleration, not a velocity. Without wind resistance, you would be accelerating at 1G until you hit the end point, at which point you would accelerate negatively, and your total negative acceleration after impact divided by 9.8m/s^2 would be the "g" force of the impact.

At terminal velocity, you're no longer accelerating, having achieved your maximum (terminal) velocity. So, definitionally, your acceleration is 0 regardless of unit.

When you start falling, the only force acting on you is gravity, which (on Earth) gives you an acceleration of 1 g. (This will be reduced immediately as wind resistance kicks in and reduces your acceleration.)

At terminal velocity, you are experiencing 1 G, as the air is pushing against you at precisely 1 G to prevent you from accelerating.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    It took a lot of effort but I may actually be starting a real life game. Here's the complication, it will still be online because although it involves people I know in real life they are strewn across multiple states. Our initial plan was to just run a Skype call or discord channel and do everything that way. Maybe use Google drive to put maps or whatever so people can access them.

Any other useful sites I should.look into? I know wotc offers an online dice roller, but anything I may not know if don't know of?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Roll20 is pretty much tailor made for that.

All the games I play use it + Discord.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Yea, roll20 is your answer. It can, technically, handle voice/video but you are probably better off letting discord handle the voice if you don't want to go insane.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    What they said. I love me some macros, too.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Roll20 is pretty much tailor made for that.

All the games I play use it + Discord.

Hell, I am using roll20 for handouts in my in-person Star Wars game since everyone already uses laptops or tablets for their character sheets anyway.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

At terminal velocity, you are experiencing 1 G, as the air is pushing against you at precisely 1 G to prevent you from accelerating.

... and you are therefore experiencing a net effect of ... ?
    It's 0g of acceleration. It must be, because at terminal velocity, your velocity isn't changing, therefore there is no net acceleration.

Ignoring, for the moment, changes in cross-section due to tumbling, differences in air density with height affecting terminal velocity, etc.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

But can you explain why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It's 0g of acceleration. It must be, because at terminal velocity, your velocity isn't changing, therefore there is no net acceleration.

Ignoring, for the moment, changes in cross-section due to tumbling, differences in air density with height affecting terminal velocity, etc.

So you're saying... Splash does nothing?

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

So you're saying... Splash does nothing?

It's useless, child. Completely useless.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    It's still a 22 lbs fish falling on you. It's going to hurt.

• Options

You sound experienced. How many times have you been slapped by a catfish?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

A better question is how many fish slaps would it take before the Magikarp evoled into Garados?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Quite a few times, actually. I once got knocked out the boat when one my friend was supposed to be holding started thrashing around and hit me.

• Options

Quite a few times, actually. I once got knocked out the boat when one my friend was supposed to be holding started thrashing around and hit me.

You needed a bigger boat

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

Now now, if we're going to talk about catfishing I'm going to have to drink a bit.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Solar wrote: »
    Yeah Hives are more like vast sealed arcologies which have become dysfunctional warrens of ancient, barely functioning machinery than they are flat cities with various spires and such. Cities like that absolutely do exist in the Imperium! But your classic Hive is Necromunda, which looks like this;

latest?cb=20140923103218

Okay but don’t air vehicles travel in these places? Does that mean there are gates to the inside accessible to valkyries and lighters and such? Why in BL books is Helsreach apparently open to the air?

The main thing, how does one travel and navigate in them? Are there roads that lead out of the hive to the wastes? There has to be because guardsmen will raid on nomads with ground vehicles in the DH1E and 2E fluff.

Edit: Like this is apparently Hive Desoleum Primus. I don't know what this picture is from, I can't find it in the CB. It doesn't look like a bunch of sealed arcologies to me.
    3f8qqz8fvni5.png

Kadoken on
  • Options
    I think the Hive issue is a matter of scale. I've always understood that they are sealed arcologies that are the size of Texas. Like, it takes you hours to drive from one side to the other, and not because you are traveling extra slow.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    The 2E book says it can take days to weeks to go from one side to the other, and that's not counting if you vertically have to travel. You are correct in that the scale is messing me up. Cause my brain goes "Okay, think like NYC or Shanghai and mix them with Judge Dredd". I do that because there's not really a set of pictures of a bunch of hive city streets and hab blocks and what normal people see where I can bring together a picture. The idea of layers of equivalents of real world cities is fine. I just wonder how big these compartments are, what are they held in, and how one goes from one to the next. I believe guardsmen run Leman Russes and other warmachines through these places so there has to be some system of transport in place.

I took this map from a forum's DH game (https://www.systemsunitednavy.com/threads/volkrands-legacy-dark-heresy-2e-rpg.5226/). It was prettier than my own. I dressed it up with locations my acolytes have gone to.

8f8fb83g2c9d.jpg

edit 2: I also after two years figured out movement and blast radii. Was running on a rule of diagonals taking two equivalents of movement, and got rid of that because it feels more natural to not do that. I have been very bad with difficulty modifiers on my tests. I usually just wing it and make most of them +0 challenging to keep the game moving. Learning I need to go back to the book to judge the difficulty of these types of tests. I just hate slowing down what is already a slow type of game.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Nah, you feel like you're experiencing 1 G, as opposed to when you start falling, where you feel like you're experiencing 0 G but are actually accelerating at 1 g.

discrider on
  • Options
    You could probably fall at like 2G if you stuff your jumping buddy into your backpack rather than a parachute.
    They'd still be falling at 1G. Although in the dark, so that would be exciting.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm starting to think that science is BS, the Earth is flat, and stars are holes in the firmament.

• Options
    You could probably fall at like 2G if you stuff your jumping buddy into your backpack rather than a parachute.

That is not at all how that works.

• Options
    I mean, why is everything in G anyway? What happened to F? Let's get to the good stuff here, and go back to F. I like F

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I think, if you managed to stuff an elephant in your parachute pack, terminal velocity would probably be terminal.

• Options
    It would probably look something like this:
    http://sketchtoy.com/68519351

• Options
    It would probably look something like this:
    http://sketchtoy.com/68519351

That took some twists and turns in my mind...

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options

That is not at all how that works.

This is precisely how it works.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

• Options
    Has there ever been a good semi crunchy sim style game for playing fighter pilots

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    There should not be this much debate over math. It's fucking math. :)

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Has there ever been a good semi crunchy sim style game for playing fighter pilots

This is both a serious question, a joke about G-forces and a plea for the discussion to move on btw

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Thanks for the responses. I signed up for roll20 last night and started looking around. At first I was going to ask how they made money, but I'm starting to figure it out. Was going to try and play Pugmire, but the character sheets are not a standard one and to get custom ones I need a pro account. I haven't gotten much further as I had to do some other work, but any other things I should be on the lookout? I know this isn't roll20 tech support but it seems several people are pretty experienced with it.