As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Okay, the last bounder race in the snow kingdom is straight-up impossible.

I spent 30 minutes fast-retrying before giving up.

Something with physics so far removed from the rest of the game shouldn’t be designed this unforgivingly.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    616 moons gotten, main game obviously beaten and both dark side and darker side unlocked... but I am content to just 100% each kingdom before attempting the optional endgame content.

As of this morning everything from Cap Kingdom to Metro has been fully beaten, all purple coins all moons.

I think one of my favorite recurring things in this game is actually the races; its crazy going back to them after getting more confident with the technical jumping and seeing just how broken they are. Races that took over a minute can be done in 15-18 seconds with some well placed rolls into a triple jump into a hat dive into another dive to end up on a platform 2/3 of the way through the race in a few seconds.

This is just a top tier game; how did this and Zelda come out in the same freaking year?

I thought I'd hate the races, but yeah this aspect made them actually pretty fun.

broken image link
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    This is just a top tier game; how did this and Zelda come out in the same freaking year?

The Wii U's library was sacrificed so the Switch could have a chance at life.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The Switch is the "what if" alternate story if Sony's abandonment of the Vita was to redirect efforts so they could relaunch to a far superior console instead of "fuck all".

Donnicton on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Recently hit 500 moons, currently doing Dark Side of the moon, which is being kind of a pest. Basically the Broodal fights are just so goddamn boring so by the time I reach the mech I'm already yawning and my focus is in the pits, which is bad when trying to dodge firecrackers while piloting a hammer bro, and a couple mistakes is out and back to beginning, do the broodals again. I think I've actually only died like five times, but it feels like fifty, because the iteration time is so long.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The Switch is the "what if" alternate story if Sony's abandonment of the Vita was to redirect efforts so they could relaunch to a far superior console instead of "fuck all".

Sony ditching a traditional console format to more closely approximate their failing handheld is uh
    a bit farfetched

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular

Something with physics so far removed from the rest of the game shouldn’t be designed this unforgivingly.
    FYI don't bound when an incline is facing you, it'll slow you down. Getting a good bound off the panel before the tunnel is a big time saver, take the last curve as tight as you can without getting into the snow. Anecdotally I would say that you don't want to take any big bounds at the beginning of the race as I can clear the first set of panels in first place (or a close second) but lose it when going for big bounds.

If all else fails, you can cheese it a bit if you can avoid the respawn boundaries:

Iceburn Class S was hands down the hardest moon I've gotten in the game thus far. I wish I had a recording setup because I had somehow managed to get a 1:24:xx lap that managed to make up for that rubbish that was the first and last laps when I finally got it.

Jump Rope Genius was also a pain, I used a scooter for consistent jumps.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I couldn't figure out that Talkatoo hint for like a week and was getting pretty frustrated with it

then I found him and I was no longer upset in the slightest

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That was the one moon I knew how to get going in because it got spoiled in tons of reviews.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, I beat Darker Side of the Moon.

Honestly, I did not expect it to be the course that I had beaten for my mom some time ago. She usually calls me and asks me to beat the harder platforming bits for her, but while it did seem rather long, I didn't think it was the "Final Platforming Run", so to speak. It really wasn't all that bad! Dark Side legit took more attempts.

Well, that or there is another Darkerer Side of the Moon once I get all the moons! Which is going to take a while, I'm still on like 570 moons.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

FYI don't bound when an incline is facing you, it'll slow you down. Getting a good bound off the panel before the tunnel is a big time saver, take the last curve as tight as you can without getting into the snow. Anecdotally I would say that you don't want to take any big bounds at the beginning of the race as I can clear the first set of panels in first place (or a close second) but lose it when going for big bounds.

If all else fails, you can cheese it a bit if you can avoid the respawn boundaries:

Iceburn Class S was hands down the hardest moon I've gotten in the game thus far. I wish I had a recording setup because I had somehow managed to get a 1:24:xx lap that managed to make up for that rubbish that was the first and last laps when I finally got it.

Jump Rope Genius was also a pain, I used a scooter for consistent jumps.

Jump Rope Genius, once the rhythm stabilized, was cake for me.

I ended up doing 350ish jumps before getting bored.

In other news, I finally beat S class, it just took 2 hours (2 train commutes both ways). My desire to completely clean out a kingdom before moving to the next one has been quite the pain!

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, I beat Darker Side of the Moon.

Honestly, I did not expect it to be the course that I had beaten for my mom some time ago. She usually calls me and asks me to beat the harder platforming bits for her, but while it did seem rather long, I didn't think it was the "Final Platforming Run", so to speak. It really wasn't all that bad! Dark Side legit took more attempts.

Well, that or there is another Darkerer Side of the Moon once I get all the moons! Which is going to take a while, I'm still on like 570 moons.

Yeah, my son was doing the Darker Side moon last night while I was watching him. It was challenging for him, but he was steadily making progress (getting to a new "section" each try or two). He got to the last portion and died, and I saw that he was getting a little frustrated, so I offered to play for him and get back to right where he died so he could try again. I was able to do it first try (though I think I used a Peach Amiibo to refresh my hearts once).

When I get to Darker Side on my file, I'll do it without Peach.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
    Dude at my dialysis center was bragging that he "beat" Darker Side. I was skeptical given that he just got his Switch like a week ago and was talking about how hard the platforming was.

Turns out there's a glitch that lets you skip the entire level. And I don't mean the thing where you can use the flying lizard to skip a bunch of stuff. I won't describe it but you can probably google it. Still, I kind of wanted to punch the dude for acting like he'd accomplished something.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    That is pretty terrible... and why wouldn't you just use Assist mode?

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

Because I have integrity

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    You still have to do the platforming. The main advantage is that you can refill your hearts.
    Also, not related to Assist Mode, there is a huge section of complicated platforming you can skip with clever timing. And it is a legit shortcut as you get rewarded for doing it.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

knitdan wrote: »
    Turns out there's a glitch that lets you skip the entire level. And I don't mean the thing where you can use the flying lizard to skip a bunch of stuff. I won't describe it but you can probably google it.
    Frogs :rotate:

I'm a bit disappointed in my nephew for doing that. I have a feeling he might attempt it again after he sees me beat it, he eventually went back and cleared every 3D World level he used that assist powerup for.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I beat Darker Side legit once.
    Then several times in varying flavours of non-legit; glide-skip, amiibos, then finally frog-skip.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I don't even remember frogs being in it. Huh.

Edit: oh right at the beginning. Funny.

shadowane on
    Oh man, the challenges on Dark Side are deliciously mean.

This is the star road shit, isn't it.

Just spent 45 minutes on one pipe challenge.

SW-4158-3990-6116

One or two of the Dark Side challenges was evidently a harder version of one I hadn't done yet (now with Yoshi!).

The hardest one for me was the Vanishing Road moons, based off the Metro Kingdom area except now you didn't have a scooter. It took several attempts to figure out how to maintain enough speed through the second section to make it to the end.

One or two of the Dark Side challenges was evidently a harder version of one I hadn't done yet (now with Yoshi!).

The hardest one for me was the Vanishing Road moons, based off the Metro Kingdom area except now you didn't have a scooter. It took several attempts to figure out how to maintain enough speed through the second section to make it to the end.

Yeah that was the one - it was doubly hard considering no cappy.

Lots of rolling and jump dives were needed to get through that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Yeah that was the one - it was doubly hard considering no cappy.

Lots of rolling and jump dives were needed to get through that.

I doubt I'm the only one this happened to, but I ended up doing the super hard no scooter version first.

When I eventually found the original scooter version... "hoo boy, this is easy!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    So at this point I am just grabbing moons on Dark Side, closing out cheevos in Mushroom Kingdom, and then going to beat Darker Side at which point there are no more "in nature" things for me to do in the game except get better scores on leaderboard shit.

Is there any value on spending 13,000 coins (roughly) on extra moons to get to 999?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    So at this point I am just grabbing moons on Dark Side, closing out cheevos in Mushroom Kingdom, and then going to beat Darker Side at which point there are no more "in nature" things for me to do in the game except get better scores on leaderboard shit.

Is there any value on spending 13,000 coins (roughly) on extra moons to get to 999?

Yes: You get to brag about it on random internet forums.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular

Doing so gives you the golden balloon on the Odyssey that you would otherwise get for collecting every moon manually.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Kupi wrote: »

Doing so gives you the golden balloon on the Odyssey that you would otherwise get for collecting every moon manually.
    No, you don't get the golden balloon by buying moons. I know because I thought I had to buy all of those while complaining of all the grinding I had to do. Kind of anticlimactic, TBH.

RockinX on
    So I beat the game, as far as I am concerned.

Every moon in the game, dark side and darker side done, every purple coin item purchased, final portait jumped through...

There's nothing left unless I want to buy the skeleton suit which I really really don't care about.

The last Mario game I 100%ed was Super Mario World literally decades ago.

This game was just fantastic.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Up to 625 moons now. Once I saw the credits, I went back to first kingdom and started 100%ing all the kingdoms. I haven't gone to dark or darker side yet... I'll do that last. 100%ed Metro last night. The 2nd RC car challenge was annoying, but I really hated the jump rope. I FINALLY got it after 50 or so tries (tapping B twice to help guarantee a small hop worked for me). Now I'm on to Snow, where I'm sure I'll hate the bounding races just as much.

I still have a few suits to buy... is there a go-to place for racking up coins fast if I wind up short at the end?

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    In Bowser's Kingdom there's a beanstalk bonus area that gets you a good amount of coins per go and all you have to do is grab the Fire Flower and let Mario run straight on his own.

You have to jump, don't you?

But yes that is a good gold farm area and you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 coins every trip

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

But yes that is a good gold farm area and you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 coins every trip

180+ if you get them all. it's a very fast grind, makes getting coins trivial

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I thought it was super duper boring and couldn't bring myself to do it for more than 10 minutes. Different strokes.

shadowane wrote: »

I thought it was super duper boring and couldn't bring myself to do it for more than 10 minutes. Different strokes.

I listen to a podcast while doing it to keep the boredom away.

its exactly 180 coins per beanstalk run (unless you stop running to grab the second moon which would add a few extra coins at the cost of slowing WAY down).

Every 10 minutes you make 1500-2000 coins. It's pretty good.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

I turned it into a mini-speedrun strat, just seeing how efficient I could get at it.

Land, jump, hat dive, roll jump, grab seed, turn, triple jump, throw at maximum range, dive to land on beanstalk as it rises.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    When's the DLC dropping for this, do we know? I really wanna get back into 100%ing every world, but I've been taking a break since getting past Darker Side.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Update for Luigi’s Balloon World is out

vg3zb5r83ec0.jpeg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA