As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I only have space docks in my home system currently. I may have made some early game decisions based on 3rd edition advice.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Just remember that if you die in TI4, you die in the real world!

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Sure, let's do it.

Play on the secondary ability of the Warfare Strategy Card (SP 2 --> 1), exhausting [0.0.0] (5R), Bereg (5R), Saudor (2R), Tar'mann (1R), +1R from Sarween Tools to build Flagship [0.0.1] (8R), 1 Dreadnought (4R), and 4 Fighters (2R) at [0.0.0].

With that, the Warfare strategy card is resolved and it's now @Preda's action.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Technology. Exaust Lodor and Zhobat for 6 resorces and the Research Team: Propulsion for a blue prerequisite, to take Graviton laser system and Lazax gate folding.

@MrBlarney @Elvenshae @Mojo_Jojo @Brody @Hedgethorn for secondary

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That's a bugger, I'd forgotten to hang on to cash for technology but I can't resist the siren call.

Take Secondary for 1 strategy token
    Activate racial to take primary instead
    Exhaust Nar for 2R and pay 4TG
    Research Magan Defense Grid and Transit Diodes

@Elvenshae can cash in my promissory note to claim either of those

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Spend a strategy token to take the secondary.
    Exhaust Gral, Corneeq, Oucen'n, and pay 1 trade good.
    Research Cruiser II.

Spend a Token, exhaust Vefut II, New Albion, and Mekar Xull for Dreadnought II

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

PASS on the Technology secondary.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    PASS on Technology secondary.

Also, none of those are ones I brought up as being particularly interested in, so I'll keep holding on to the Jol-Nar Promissory note for now.

Elvenshae on
    @MrBlarney I believe that makes it your action.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Also, none of those are ones I brought up as being particularly interested in, so I'll keep holding on to the Jol-Nar Promissory note for now.
    I'd forgotten about that. I had a plan to try and get you to pay me to research one of those in lieu of what I wanted. Oh well. I'l try and remember next time.

What was it you wanted? Integrated economy or Dreadnaught II? I'm probably not giving you Dreadnaught II without an obscene payoff

@MrBlarney's action

Let's do the expected thing:

Play the primary ability of the (8) Imperial Strategy Card.
    Exhaust 5 Trade Goods (TG 5 --> 0) to claim public objective "Negotiate Trade Routes". (VP 3 --> 4)
    Claim 1 Victory Point for control of Mecatol Rex. (VP 4 --> 5)

All other players (@Elvenshae, @Mojo_Jojo, @Hedgethorn, @Brody, @Preda) to play or pass on the Imperial secondary.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Take secondary for an extra objective

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Pass.

Play secondary.

Pass on Imperial Secondary.

@MrBlarney, @Brody

I have 2 commodities, and am not currently neighbors with Letnev, who has the Trade strategy card coming up soon. Brody, I assume you'd like to be paid for a "free" refresh? If so, I'd like to toss a trade good your way before we refresh - but since I can't do it directly, @MrBlarney, would you be our go-between?

@Brody , I offer you the immediate standard 3coomodities for your 2 for my free refresh when the time comes.

I have 2 commodities, and am not currently neighbors with Letnev, who has the Trade strategy card coming up soon. Brody, I assume you'd like to be paid for a "free" refresh? If so, I'd like to toss a trade good your way before we refresh - but since I can't do it directly, MrBlarney, would you be our go-between?

I don't mind doing this as part of my turn. I won't require any additional charges on this transaction, either.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    @Preda Accepted

@MrBlarney @Elvenshae Accepter.

Elvenshae gives MrBlarney 1 TG. MrBlarney gives Brody 1 TG.

Also, I thought I had already done this:

Spend 1 Token (3/4/0) to use Imperial Secondary.

Y'all rock.

@MrBlarney

I'd like to exchange my other commodity for one of yours, so it doesn't go to waste. I know you don't have any yet, but that's okay - I'm willing to pay in advance. We can finalize that on my turn, if you're interested.

I'd like to exchange my other commodity for one of yours, so it doesn't go to waste. I know you don't have any yet, but that's okay - I'm willing to pay in advance. We can finalize that on my turn, if you're interested.

I'm good with that, but just to let you know, I'm not going to actively seek refreshes on the upcoming Trade action. It'll be up to Brody whether or not that happens. Anything I give away will come out of my already small margins due to my low commodity limit. If you're still up for it, make your proposal and I'll accept.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    If we all have our new objectives @mrbody that makes it @elvenshae to take an action

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Objectives all sent

In that case ...

LEADERSHIP!

2 in Tactics (0->2), 1 in Strategy (1-2).

@Mojo_Jojo @Hedgethorn @Brody @Preda @MrBlarney for secondaries.

I give @MrBlarney 1 commodity, in exchange for the promise of 1 back when he gets one.

Pass

Exhaust Centauri and Rarron for two tokens; put one in Strategy (0->1) and one in Tactics (2->3).

Exhaust Arinam and Meer for 6 influence
    Pop one in strategy and one in tactical

Just looked back, and realized that I am at 2/4/0 for tokens.

I give MrBlarney 1 commodity, in exchange for the promise of 1 back when he gets one.

Hold on just a moment here. Are you counting Brody's declaration of you giving me 1 commodity first as going through? Let's make this a little easier. As an appendix to the end of my turn, the following deals are proposed:

@Elvenshae: Transaction with Creuss: I receive 2 commodities, for a (non-binding) deal of 1 commodity / trade good in return at the soonest opportunity.

Assuming this goes through (Creuss C 2 --> 0; L1z1x TG 0 --> 2), I'll accept the following deal:
    Brody wrote: »
    MrBlarney gives Brody 1 TG.

And since it is Elvenshae's turn after mine, I can just directly give that Trade Good back:

Transaction with Creuss: I give 1 Trade Good to Creuss, as per earlier dealings.

You get your Trade Good back sooner and we don't have to worry about what happens during the Trade strategy card resolution. As for the Leadership strategy card:

Exhaust Dal Bootha (1I), Lirta IV (3I), and Xxehan (2I) to place one counter in each of Tactic and Strategy pools. (TP 3 --> 4, SP 1 --> 2)

4463rwiq7r47.png
    @MrBlarney

The way it worked on your turn is that I handed you a commodity (which turned into a trade good), and you handed it to @Brody. This is my payment for the "free" refresh, for which you served as a middleman.

Effectively:
    Elven: -1 commodity (handed to Blarney, turning it into a trade good)
    Blarney: +1 trade good (received from Elven), -1 trade good (given to Brody); net +0
    Brody: +1 trade good (received from Blarney)

Then, this turn, I'm going to hand you a commodity in exchange for 1 commodity from you in the future.

Effectively:
    Elven: -1 commodity (handed to Blarney, turning it into a trade good)
    Blarney: +1 trade good (received from Elven), promise to hand over a commodity later

If you hand me a trade good, then you haven't really gained anything (other than helping me launder commodities, which I thank you for!). If you hand me a commodity later, you get a benefit, too. I'm happy for you to be altruistic, but you don't have to be. :)

Oh, I was working under the idea that I wouldn't get anything out of these deals immediately. We can always, you know, just mutually trade commodities later. Or you can be a nice person and give me a commodity once they are refreshed to make things 'balanced'. I just don't want my 'debt' to be sitting around since I have no idea when I will get my own commodities.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Oh, I was working under the idea that I wouldn't get anything out of these deals immediately. We can always, you know, just mutually trade commodities later. Or you can be a nice person and give me a commodity once they are refreshed to make things 'balanced'. I just don't want my 'debt' to be sitting around since I have no idea when I will get my own commodities.

If I refresh commodities while I'm still holding on to my commodity, I effectively lose that commodity (you refresh up to your commodity value, not add your commodity value). So, it makes sense to trade it to you now, ahead of time, so that I get the full suite of 4 next time around.

I don't think there's any question about the understanding that commodities are best given away before Trade refreshes them. I think the point that we're 'arguing' over is when you get the return on your commodity transactions. Somewhat counterintuitively, you've offered that I give it back later, while I've counter-offered to give it back now. Since I've already put out the offers and bolded them, shall we just go with my way on this one?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I don't think there's any question about the understanding that commodities are best given away before Trade refreshes them. I think the point that we're 'arguing' over is when you get the return on your commodity transactions. Somewhat counterintuitively, you've offered that I give it back later, while I've counter-offered to give it back now. Since I've already put out the offers and bolded them, shall we just go with my way on this one?

Absolutely, you can give it back now. I just figured you didn't have any commodities to trade, and that you'd want to hold on to your trade goods, so you could give me a commodity in the future.

Hell yeah I'll take it now, if you want to be altruistic!

Accepted.

Exaust Winnu, Tor'kan and Mellon for 3 token. 2/6/0->4/6/1.

@Hedgethorn I believe that makes it your action.

Activate the Centauri/Gral system.
    Move Carrier + 3 fighters from Corneeo/Resculon to Centauri/Gral.
    Use Arborec's Infantry Production to produce two more infantry, one on Centauri and one on Gral (Cost=0 because of Sarween Tools).

@Brody's turn.

Trade, getting 3 TG from the primary, and 3 from my position as Minister of Commerce

Provide Preda and Elvenshae free refreshes

Trade my two commodities for Predas 3, and give Preda a TG for voting for me as agreed.

@Preda @Elvenshae @Mojo_Jojo @MrBlarney @Hedgethorn anyone else want to buy a free refresh?

@brody I'll send you two commodities (in the agenda phase as I don't think we're neighbours right now) for refreshes for myself and hedgethorn