As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited June 2019 in Games and Technology
Slay the Spire is a Steam game currently in early access now live!

If you've ever played a Dungeon Run in Hearthstone, you'll understand how this works. It's a roguelike deck-builder that mixes luck, skill, and deck design to win. Games are fast-paced and can be played at your leisure. Ironically, the perfect game to play while waiting for your opponent to take a turn in Heartstone or during loading screens in HotS.

The game is highly addictive and should definitely be given a play. Enjoy the trailer and some vids of streamers playing it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHRpS2DzIAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdDP7W1exOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skZ20qH3EUY

Penny Arcade StS Seeded Runs!

Ironclad: 2B57PL2W3A8TA
Silent: 4G4H6WJ3IBCTZ
Defect: BRFZRBD1D857
(All seeds are set to A5)

Custom Seed: 3SEA7UA8TF357
"Evaluations!"
The Defect, One Path. How good are you at evaluating cards?

Instructions, rules, and misc notes:
To enter a seed, copy the code above and do the following:
  • Choose Play
  • Choose Standard OR Custom
  • Select your character
  • Paste the code it in the "Set Seed" area that now appears in the lower left corner under the Back option

Please note that the game doesn't appear to care which character you choose, as the seed only sets the path and RNG stuff. In order to make sure we're all on the same page, make sure to use the appropriate character for each code. Also, we'll be working on an honor system, so only one run per character please. Feel free to do any character you want, or all three!

So there we go! Have fun! Take some notes and/or screenshots of your run(s) so you can compare them with others. Maybe jot down important card choices or pathing decisions.

This info will be added to the OP each week for easier searching. Make sure when you post your results to use spoiler tags! Good luck and have fun!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    hey so have y'all heard of this fun game called hearthstone

edit: shit you already made this joke in the op

also ironclad4lyfe

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yayyy, new thread! :D

This game is very good. It's a deckbuilding Roguelike.

If anyone has played Dream Quest on mobile, it's in a very similar vein.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Slay the spire resources I like:

Slay the Spire reference (includes AI scripts, event possibilities, etc. Great source of info!)
    CardCommonwealth's card tier list

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    my favorite strat in general is one punch ironclad

be it perfected strike, searing blow, or bludgeon, I like using one card to make big numbers

relatedly, snecko eye is the best relic in the game

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

also ironclad4lyfe

I like the Silent. I'm not really good at the game, but I like going full Poison build and watching the inevitability of my enemy's deaths :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

also ironclad4lyfe

I like the Silent. I'm not really good at the game, but I like going full Poison build and watching the inevitability of my enemy's deaths :D

I'd like to go poison build if the game would ever offer me goddamn poison cards. I only ever get shiv or discard cards.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Once you beat the tower, what's the incentive to keep playing? High score?

Is it as choppy/stuttery as streams I've seem show?

• Options

It is not at all choppy/stuttery. I've started watching a couple streams, and it doesn't seem bad there either... Sure it's not Twitch on your end? It can also be very fast-paced if you play the cards rapidly, so that could be making it look worse (although there aren't many extensive card animations to begin with).

The incentive to keep playing is the same as any rogue-like, I guess? Why would you play something like FTL after you've "beaten" it? I mean, I don't usually have that problem because I am Bad At Video Games, so it takes me forever to reach the "end" anyways :P, but many people continue to play these types of games even after they beat it.

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited February 2018

As you play with each character, you unlock more cards and relics. The unlocks aren't super long to get, but unlocking all of them do open up some new possibilities. Personally, I like replaying both to try to achieve a good win streak, and also to try out builds. No two decks end up the same, and there are some dramatically different ways to win.

Also, once you've beaten all 3 of the end bosses of the game, Ascension mode opens up which is a sort of new game+ mode which becomes more challenging the more times you clear it with each character, up to Ascension+10. I've only made it to Ascension+2 so far.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Yayyy, new thread! :D

This game is very good. It's a deckbuilding Roguelike.

If anyone has played Dream Quest on mobile, it's in a very similar vein.

Aaand sold. I played so much Dream Quest.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

It is not at all choppy/stuttery. I've started watching a couple streams, and it doesn't seem bad there either... Sure it's not Twitch on your end? It can also be very fast-paced if you play the cards rapidly, so that could be making it look worse (although there aren't many extensive card animations to begin with).

The incentive to keep playing is the same as any rogue-like, I guess? Why would you play something like FTL after you've "beaten" it? I mean, I don't usually have that problem because I am Bad At Video Games, so it takes me forever to reach the "end" anyways :P, but many people continue to play these types of games even after they beat it.

I've never played a rogue like....or at least I don't think anything classified as that. It may have just been issues with the specific streamer. They were swapping to slay the spire between other games. The other stuff was fine just slay the spire was messed up

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

be it perfected strike, searing blow, or bludgeon, I like using one card to make big numbers

Sneko eye: because you don’t want to play a game of slay the spire, you want slay the spire to happen to you.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, it's the roguelike thing of finding your own value in repeated runs. The one I (and I think most casual players) look for is variety in builds, winning in the most varied ways possible. Some people speedrun, or do races (which is also a social event), or try to winstreak. Or go for high scores, since this one actually has a leaderboard.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

The replayability is there just in terms of having to adjust your win condition (or trying to find one) during each run. Even if you play ultra-conservatively you will invariably lose a run that you could've won by switching gears and changing your strategy (Snecko Eye is a great example of this).

I've never had issues with gameplay performance. Like, the worst bug I've found is a sound glitch if you hover over the end turn button at a certain time, and that has happened like, three times in dozens of runs.

• Options
    edited February 2018

I've never played a rogue like....or at least I don't think anything classified as that. It may have just been issues with the specific streamer. They were swapping to slay the spire between other games. The other stuff was fine just slay the spire was messed up

Ah. Yeah, the game plays very smoothly from everything I've played and seen.

It takes a long time to actually "beat" everything, as Dehumanized said. Like, dozens and dozens of hours, probably into the hundreds for most people, to actually beat everything that was mentioned. And even then, you could always challenge yourself to do it faster or in a completely different way than before.

And ummm.... you should go play FTL :P. I've put many many hours into that, and I'm not alone in that! :D

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    tfw you're doing shiv build and you run into a boss with thorns

disclaimer i received a review code for this game

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    tfw you're doing shiv build and you run into a boss with thorns

disclaimer i received a review code for this game

hint for that boss:
    you remember the Trapped Room in Dungeon Run?

also let's take a quick gander at my roguelike group on steam

uQR13vF.jpg

STS is real gud

(plus Risk of Rain, Super Meat Boy, and Tower of Guns adding another 30 hours)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    This game has been all I've done for the past week, it is outstanding. Up to Ascension 10 with the Ironclad, will be sorry to go back to the Silent after all this.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I've said it in [chat] before, but this game does a really outstanding job at making me feel like a Pro Magic the Gathering Storm player.

Incidentally: take every single 0 cost draw a card. They are the best

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    I've said it in [chat] before, but this game does a really outstanding job at making me feel like a Pro Magic the Gathering Storm player.

Yeah, I at least know that much from other card games. Free cycle is invaluable :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

This is false. Preparation is the worst.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »

Do you mean Prepared? It's not pure cycle, as technically you lose a card, but I really like it. It's nice to massage your hand into the way you want it each turn.

Steam profile
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Prepared is more of a filter card, than cycle card, given its restrictions: you can't simply take all of them (like you can the Colorless 0 mana deal 3-6 damage, draw a card, which is amazing); and you can't really play it when your hand is 3 cards or smaller.

Edit: Unless you want to setup your next turn by removing cards from your draw pile so that your deck shuffles sooner than it otherwise would.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Do you mean Prepared? It's not pure cycle, as technically you lose a card, but I really like it. It's nice to massage your hand into the way you want it each turn.

Or you could not take it, and still get that next card because you didn't draw a do-nothing cycle card, and not have to discard a card from your hand.

Prepared+ does something at least, but Prepared, unupgraded, is barely better than a Curse.

• Options
    Triple Adrenaline+ feels like cheating.

Bonus points when Distraction gives me a 0-cost Nightmare so I can have 3 more Adrenaline+ next turn.

Characters
  • Options

Prep+ is real good.

Now Masterful Stab, that's an awful 0 cost card.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I really really want to buy this game. But given that I've had most of the year taking care of my baby and only working weekends it wouldn't be fiscally responsible to do so. Bills gotta get paid.

So I've been watching Northernlion do runs on youtube.

His scrub level play entertains me. And constant outdated music puns. It's probably the dad level I am on now. I better go buy some white New Balance shoes and jean shorts.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Masterful Stab is probably decent with Top? I guess? Decent might be overselling it.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    This game is the tits. I can't wait for more content, because it's only going to get better with time.

• Options
    Masterful Stab is probably decent with Top? I guess? Decent might be overselling it.

It's ok with top, but too conditional otherwise.

• Options
    sanstodo wrote: »

It's ok with top, but too conditional otherwise.

It's definitely a much worse Clash.

Characters
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Or you could not take it, and still get that next card because you didn't draw a do-nothing cycle card, and not have to discard a card from your hand.

Prepared+ does something at least, but Prepared, unupgraded, is barely better than a Curse.

Sometimes you can enable relic powers with extra card plays.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

Sometimes you can enable relic powers with extra card plays.

Prepared+ is really good, particularly because discard is not a big problem for a lot of archetypes.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I think the game knows when you've assembled a deck that can go infinite on turn 1 or 2 because every time I do I face the time lord.

• Options
    even after the buffs this patch when I run into the Awakened One I kinda feel like the game did me a solid

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Exhaust Ironclad is honestly the best deck in the game, in my opinion. Insanely high damage and defense and you can get rid of status effects ezpz. I've waltzed through the game every time I've built that way.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Exhaust Ironclad is honestly the best deck in the game, in my opinion. Insanely high damage and defense and you can get rid of status effects ezpz. I've waltzed through the game every time I've built that way.

You reaaaally need certain parts for it to go off, in my experience. Like multiple Ignore Pains at the minimum.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

You reaaaally need certain parts for it to go off, in my experience. Like multiple Ignore Pains at the minimum.

Yeah, the super overpowered decks need good RNG. For higher Ascension, you def need to go for higher risk strategies, but it's pretty easy to win basic runs to unlock stuff with more stable strats like strength ironclad or block silent.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I found usually only one Ignore Pain worked but I could have just been getting consistently lucky.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Sorta digging Silent over Ironclad, mostly due to the starting set of cards allows her to block all damage through the first area and most damage in the second area

Ironclad runs into nonsense like 13 damage all the time, which you can either take to the face two or three times by purely playing attacks or use two or three energy on blocks. Healing after battle isn't as impressive when enemy groups and card draw becomes spiteful. The saving grace is exhaust cards pruning out your starting blocks for the superior Shrug.

VRXwDW7.png