As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome! Everything is fine. [The Good Place][OPEN SPOILERS]

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Huh

Sepinwall pointed out that Chidi should be speaking French, or at least have an accent

I forgot about that
    Chidi has already shown to be English proficient in the flashbacks with his Australian boot brother, and just because he natively speaks French, doesn't mean he automatically speaks English with an accent.

That's a good point

But an American accent?

What, did he learn English from Seinfeld?

Nah, Chidi seems like more a Frasier guy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Michael behind the bar led to me honest-to-god slapping the arm of my chair, so perfect.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That's the one drawback for watching this on Hulu, the thumbnail for the episode showed Michael behind the bar.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm with folks on this just being a simulation. After all, the question they're trying to answer is "do these people deserve to go to the good place" not "do these people deserve another shot at life". It's a test to see if it would have been possible for them to become better people, and their new placement hinges on that. They're not actually back alive again.

That being said, I do think/hope that the Chidi we saw is the real Chidi, but that would explain his American accent and all that.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    honestly

i think it's pretty likely they forgot about the throwaway line in the first episode 2 years ago about how he's actually speaking french

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I feel like I witnessed Mike Schur's soul leaving his body as Ted Danson tossed that washcloth over his shoulder

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    honestly

i think it's pretty likely they forgot about the throwaway line in the first episode 2 years ago about how he's actually speaking french
    I don’t think an entire team of extremely sharp writers is going to forget, especially when *I* remember a throwaway line like that.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this team seems really meticulous, and that’s not a small detail

They remembered that Chidi taught in Australia and I didn’t

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think it's the real Chidi. In fact, I think the entire world is a simulation, where everyone except the 4 of them are fake.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    But in his flashback with Australian boot guy he talked the same and the boot guy had an accent. Was he speaking French and boot guy speaking French with an Australian accent?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Yeah, this team seems really meticulous, and that’s not a small detail

They remembered that Chidi taught in Australia and I didn’t

To expand on this, not only don’t I think the writers forgot, but I would be shocked if William Jackson Harper forgot

“My character is actually speaking French and grew up in Senegal” seems like it would inform a lot

• Options
    It was never said that Chidi didn’t speak English

Considering the countries he taught in he almost certainly does speak English (he was just speaking French to Eleanor in that instance)

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Considering the countries he taught in he almost certainly does speak English (he was just speaking French to Eleanor in that instance)

Chidi's internal language might be French by default.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

Right but why would he have an American accent and why would there be no moment of confusion? Like a “sacre bleu! Oh, an American”

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    He had an American accent in his flashback though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    This is reaching Allo Allo levels of who is speaking what language with which accent.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a real love/hate relationship shop with Maya Rudolph.

I was disappointed when she turned out to be the Judge.

However, I'm loving her now. She's nailing it.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Chidi would never have an inappropriate accent for the language he's using out of fear of being misunderstood.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2018

Chidi would never have an inappropriate accent for the language he's using out of fear of being misunderstood.

when is an american accent ever appropriate?
    anyway him speaking English with a US accent made me sit bolt upright and say WTF so I'm glad it bugged other people too.

edit: also it completely ripped me out of the last few minutes of the show, which sucks because otherwise I was getting some real emotional fuzzies.

double edit: also farts to all the people saying "He should have an accent!" He DOES, and it's really strong. It's just the wrong one.

tynic on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    they’re likely still in a constructed world, similar to their Bad Place.

It could very well be that to Chidi, Eleanor is speaking French, just like she has been, according to Chidi, the whole time

• Options

Right but why would he have an American accent and why would there be no moment of confusion? Like a “sacre bleu! Oh, an American”

What if he was taught English by an American? (I know, I know. I agree it’s odd).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    they’re likely still in a constructed world, similar to their Bad Place.

It could very well be that to Chidi, Eleanor is speaking French, just like she has been, according to Chidi, the whole time

Why would he speak French in Australia where the primary language is Spider?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    They're in a constructed world, but given that the test really didn't plan for Chidi and Eleanor to meet you it makes no sense that the universal translation would still be on. I seriously think it's just a slip up. Just because the good place is a great show doesn't mean it's above making mistakes

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    They're in a constructed world, but given that the test really didn't plan for Chidi and Eleanor to meet you it makes no sense that the universal translation would still be on. I seriously think it's just a slip up. Just because the good place is a great show doesn't mean it's above making mistakes

Why do you say that the test didn't plan for them to meet?

• Options
    The test is just supposed to be a simulation of what their life would be like if they had survived the thing that killed them. There's no normal reason for any of them to cross paths other than MAYBE Eleanor and Jason. Eleanor and Chidi are only meeting up because of Michael's interference. Based on what we currently know there's no reason for them to make it a flawless simulation of the earth except that Chidi and Eleanor understand each other perfectly

And like it's been pointed out before, Chidi speaks the exact same in flashbacks where he's talking with other English speakers. The actor has an American accent and the show just kinda expects you not to think too hard about that

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    What if it's because our good place construct that we watch the show from just let's you understand Chidi as if he's speaking English....

Errr ... wait..

I've said too much /runs away

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Speaking of early-show canon: show of hands, who paused the supermarket scene to check on the truck?

*Raises hand*

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm fine with an actor speaking in native English and having the show say "yeah he's actually French or whatever but rather than force the actor to do stuff in a language he might not be perfectly comfortable in and make you deal with subtitles we're just gonna comic book this for you". Like, I can suspend my disbelief about everything else in the show, I don't need that to be represented literally too

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hmm I'm in Canada bet I can get French version dub, it's like law up here. Someone else can cut paste all of Chidi with it lol

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't care he's speaking English, I just want an in universe explanation for why he doesn't sound either Senegalese or Australian. "Because Simulation" is something I can go with.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    he lived elsewhere where his accent developed into what it is now and he went to Australia to teach after

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Boy this is not what I expected 80% of the discussion about this episode to be

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Boy this is not what I expected 80% of the discussion about this episode to be

New topic:
    "I just want to feed him soup."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I cannot stop thinking about what series of circumstances will lead to Jason encountering any of them on Earth, especially Tahani

Dimosar on
  • Options
    Dimosar wrote: »
    I cannot stop thinking about what series of circumstances will lead to Jason encountering any of them on Earth, especially Tahani

I would also love it if Jason's death is "prevented" by being pushed like the other three, but he just forgets what he was about to do/gets distracted by something in the distance.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Jameela Jamil has reached peak Tahani.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Some nice art I found!

DV-BLUZXUAAgDKv.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I hope Swole Jason appears in the show.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I hope Swole Jason appears in the show.

So

Jason