As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Sorta digging Silent over Ironclad, mostly due to the starting set of cards allows her to block all damage through the first area and most damage in the second area

Ironclad runs into nonsense like 13 damage all the time, which you can either take to the face two or three times by purely playing attacks or use two or three energy on blocks. Healing after battle isn't as impressive when enemy groups and card draw becomes spiteful. The saving grace is exhaust cards pruning out your starting blocks for the superior Shrug.

See, I'm exactly the opposite because on the Silent I find they're attacking for too much to block effectively, and I can't heal it off. The Ironclad's sustain is the big part of why I prefer them.

edit: also my friends and I call them the rogue and the warrior so if you see me mention that that's why

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    So if anyone was wondering, Snecko Eye and Runic Pyramid are a terrible, terrible combination. It will ruin you :(

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I feel like once you figure out how Ironclad works, he becomes kind of boring to play. His basic cycle revolves around stacking Block and then either winning the war of attrition or getting one of his many damage combos off.

Silent on the other hand really rides that line between not having enough defense or attack, and is much more dependent upon getting particular card combinations or you can get fucked super hard by particular mobs. Like, your deck might win against solo bosses all day but once that triple spawn or Time Lord shows up you're screwed.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I feel like once you figure out how Ironclad works, he becomes kind of boring to play. His basic cycle revolves around stacking Block and then either winning the war of attrition or getting one of his many damage combos off.

Silent on the other hand really rides that line between not having enough defense or attack, and is much more dependent upon getting particular card combinations or you can get fucked super hard by particular mobs. Like, your deck might win against solo bosses all day but once that triple spawn or Time Lord shows up you're screwed.

Highly dependent on your playstyle! I actively work to have as little block in my Ironclad decks as possible (and it's working pretty okay for me, up to Ascension 5), whereas one of my preferred Silent strats is blur.dek.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    I've not tried Exhaust much at all, which is kind of weird given that my entire modus operandi is hitting up every merchant I can to remove garbage from my deck.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Any estimates on when this expected to be ‘finished’? Because it looks right up my street but I don’t do early access due to my limited gaming time meaning I’d rather wait until it’s done.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I had reservations about buying an early access game but I just unlocked everything just a couple of days ago and beat the game with both characters. So, yeah, its a fun game now even though it is unfinished. The dev also recently removed a bunch of run-ending RNG BS so thats a good sign.

Worst experience is having to play Silent with a cycle deck and having to fight the time dude as the final boss

There are a bunch of cards/relics that I feel are too situational that I'd wish would be removed/changed: Silent's [Grand Finale, Wraith Form], Ironclad's [Rage, Fiend Fire]

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    I've probably got about the same win rate for both classes but Silent feels easier. Or at least, the losses feel less hopeless. A lot of that is just play style probably, but on Ironclad it feels like I get offered a lot of 2 cost garbage early on or cards that it feels really bad taking without their synergy already in place, and it's harder to pivot or make a hodgepodge deck work. Maybe I just need to really focus on trimming down Ironclad decks to get broken synergy going (most of my games on either class end with 25-35 cards), or just actually try out Exhaust which is probably the only deck type I have still never gotten running.

And Survivor and Neutralize blow Bash out of the water so hard.

Also working through Ascension for both classes and it's fun, but I hope they add an option to choose Ascension level. Ascension 1 feels like the perfect place to just goof around or try to get these last achievements.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I had reservations about buying an early access game but I just unlocked everything just a couple of days ago and beat the game with both characters. So, yeah, its a fun game now even though it is unfinished. The dev also recently removed a bunch of run-ending RNG BS so thats a good sign.

Worst experience is having to play Silent with a cycle deck and having to fight the time dude as the final boss

Oh I’m not saying it’s not fun now, I just presume it’ll be more fun when done and as my stack of unplayed games is comically large I can wait.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just beat the game tonight for the first time with Silent. Got the Bouncing Flask+, x2 Catalyst, Alchemize+, Escape Plan, Tools of the Trade+, and Noxious Fumes. Almost died twice going to 3 and 7 hp. Nail biter all around. Final boss was the Time Eater. He had over 200 poison and went from 50% to 0% in one turn. So satisfying.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Legit just died on a bullshit quadruple spawn immediately before Campfire->Final Boss.

Ugh. I managed to get all the right cards and I just get my shit pushed in by double Repulsor screwing my draws and RNG never giving me any of my Poison cards. Imagine sitting there, turn after turn, retaining a Catalyst and Corpse Explosion every single time but not being able to do anything because you can't apply poison stacks to anything.

Reminds me of my last relationship...

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    There are a bunch of cards/relics that I feel are too situational that I'd wish would be removed/changed: Silent's [Grand Finale, Wraith Form], Ironclad's [Rage, Fiend Fire]

Have you tried Fiend Fire? The trick is to have enough energy to use the good cards you draw, then fire off Fiend Fire which will hit for say 21 (3 cards exhausted, 0 strength, non-improved FF). You've just removed a bunch of lesser cards from your deck and done decent damage with 2 energy. It can get really silly if you have Battle Trance, improved FF and some strength - if you have 4 str and use 6 cards and improved FF, it hits for 90.

Rage is kinda situational but I've gotten some use out of it. Grande Finale is crap, that I agree with and Wraith Form is way too expensive to use.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Current beta build doesn't seem to be saving my game. Which is too bad because I had a pretty good wound/exhaust/body slam build going with an Ironclad.

Ascension mode is too fun to give up however.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I'm really bad at making those super-focused decks I see posted elsewhere. Like I got Searing Blow as my second card and was all "alright, time to try out that Searing Blow +15 thing" .. and then I end up upgrading all sorts of other stuff and getting my Girya relic up. I did kill the bird god with that Searing Blow but it was only +6 so it only hit for 102. A win is a win I guess but I've got like 20 Ironclad wins already, could've tried something a bit different.

Same deal when I've tried to make decks that don't come naturally to me like Silent cycle decks, I'll get some basic ingredients drafted and then I just sort of drift off and get the wrong stuff and end up with something that's not going to cycle well enough but also isn't good enough to win the traditional turtle-poison-whatever -way.

Most of all I just want the third class already. :P

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I'm ascension 10 on both characters so I may have played this game a little

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Beasteh wrote: »
    I'm ascension 10 on both characters so I may have played this game a little

Wow, I have literally spent entire days playing this game and I'm no where near that. I can win with silent now about 50% of the time though. I haven't played ironclad since my first win.

Silent cycle decks are actually really easy to make. You basically just need to do a couple of things. You should be able to build a winning deck half the time and go infinite half of that.

1) Get rid of most of your starting deck, so hit up all the encounters and shops you can (assuming you have gold for card removal). Your goal is to get down to about 20 cards. With a portion of those being powers or cards that exaust. You want to get rid of as many strikes and defends as you can.

2) To go actually go infinite you need some way to generate AP. Your key card is tactician+. Then you cycle that with an acrobatics+ or prepared. Your goal is to get all your cards in your hand, and then cycle cantrips (cards that cost nothing and draw a card) and acrobatics/tactician. Don't take acrobatics until act 3 or late 2. You will see the card a ton, you are likely to also find it later, and it's a terrible card until you get going.

3) Otherwise, you want ways to generate additional AP a turn. Outmanuver+ is what you want. Each turn you cycle your deck and cast outmanuver more times eventually earning a ton of AP. This is the deck you are likely to end up with. Flying knee is ok to take early game, but you won't want more than one in your deck later.

4) Since you need to actually reach end game, powers that help you get there but also thin your deck are key. Noxious fumes and footwork are great cards that do nothing for the deck once its assembled. Infinite blades helps get late game. After image is great. Powers that help you go infinite are well laid plans and tools of the trade. If you take too many powers your deck won't get going until turn 2-3, but they do have synergy with a couple of amazing relics and they actually allow you to make late game so I pick up the ones above as I see them.

5) Cantrips! Add every one you see. You have some options. Heel Hook is the class one if you see it get it. Escape plan is free defense. And it is safe to buy the ones in the shop flash of steel is what you want if you see it.

6) Adrenaline, get it and upgrade it as you see it. They help you get all your powers out of your hand.

7) A finisher is great, just in case you hit time lord. Finsher and choke are what you want. Otherwise if you pick up blur you can just cycle your deck each turn and be unkillable.

Notice, none if this cares about relics. There are some great ones that help you get there. But you don't need any to make this work. There is some RNG involved but it's mostly about balancing deck thinning, defense, and damage. If you find noxious fumes or infinite blades, great! Otherwise you might want to grab a flying knee or even a dagger throw.

furbat on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Hey, I won't blow up your spot and say who did it but thanks to the one who got me a steam gift of this game!

You guys are super generous and I really appreciate you. The best internet peeps around!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
    5onFCFw.png

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Hey, I won't blow up your spot and say who did it but thanks to the one who got me a steam gift of this game!

You guys are super generous and I really appreciate you. The best internet peeps around!

Ah man, someone beat me to it! I was gonna gift you the game today. Curse you other classy person!!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    That fucker will chunk you for 8-12 damage easy.

ladi.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah a huge part of why Ironclad is just flat out better than Silent is the passive healing. Helps you recover from unlucky starts.

Yeah with Silent I'm happy to swap her starting relic for a boss one, I never trade away the Ironclad's.

ladi.png
    by far my most consistent streaks are

ironclad: always pick shrug it off, barricade/body slam, some strength based win condition like inflame/spot weakness/limit break/demon form, at least 1 form of aoe
    silent: momentum build, flying knee/predator/burst/adrenaline, always pick backflip and footwork

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I always end up preferring Silent because it trends towards things I like to be doing (casting things for 0 mana, drawing cards).

Ironclad is alright.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    i prefer playing ironclad because its generally far less stressful

I've seen streamers make Grand Finale work multiple times. You'll usually get screwed on the final boss by one too many bad shuffles leaving you just short of lethal when you're dead on the crackback, but it can get you there. The key, obviously, being a couple of acrobatics and then draw-1s like quick slash, prep, and escape plan, plus a relatively small deck.

Rage is easily my favorite block card in the game. I love the Anger deck (even moreso than the Clash deck) and Rage is phenomenal in that.

Fiend Fire is just a good card card, I'm not sure what to say there. I guess maybe it's really upgrade dependant like Whirlwind and Skewer (any multi-hit attack, really) so if you didn't do that it might seem underwhelming?

The secret with the game is that very few of the cards are actually bad. It's just a puzzle of figuring out how to make them good.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Fiend Fire with the right support cards is damn near broken.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Look Girya, I like you, and I want to buff my strength one more time.

But I found a Shovel.

Characters
    3clipse wrote: »

There's also this thing where I'm not running an exhaust deck and then I get Dead Branch at the end of floor two and I'm instantly an exhaust deck somehow.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

There's also this thing where I'm not running an exhaust deck and then I get Dead Branch at the end of floor two and I'm instantly an exhaust deck somehow.

One run I got Charon's Ashes early and just laughed and laughed.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    That tier list calls accuracy the worst card in the game but my strongest, most inevitable runs have all been shiv heavy decks. Maybe I just got super lucky with synergies.

I ate an engineer
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

One run I got Charon's Ashes early and just laughed and laughed.

lol nice :) my easiest run was getting dead branch and charon's floor 1, then i just murdered everything from there on out

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Going infinite on turn 2 VS the nemesis is the worst thing ever. I ended up just ending turn, forgetting he sticks burns in your deck.

The burns screw up my infinite, I die.

GG me.

I wasn't really a fan of Demon Form for its mana cost and ramp up time, but man, casting it turn 1 against a Boss is some satisfying late fight power.

Helps that Necronomicon and Heavy Blade+ in a Strength build is very satisfying.

Characters
    Hardest boss in the game will always be the level 2 gang of slavers

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Level one floating guys who do either 8 damage or put cards in your deck top them imo

I ate an engineer
    milski wrote: »

Level one floating guys who do either 8 damage or put cards in your deck top them imo

They did nerf those guys on the last patch or one before so that they can't all deal damage at the same time anymore.

Characters
    Aegis wrote: »
    I wasn't really a fan of Demon Form for its mana cost and ramp up time, but man, casting it turn 1 against a Boss is some satisfying late fight power.

Helps that Necronomicon and Heavy Blade+ in a Strength build is very satisfying.

I got necronomicon and the heal for unblocked damage one. Forget what it's called. Basically I can heal like... 40 HP every turn that is up.

Aegis wrote: »

If you could make it innate that would be sweet.

I may have just started the turn against Time Eater with a 126 damage Heavy Blade before Vulnerability, with a Necronomicon waiting to proc.

I'm in heaven.

Characters