As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've gotten some beautiful plays with poison Silent/Catalyst/Corpse Explosion

it's hard to work towards, but I like run-of-the-mill poison Silent too

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I may have just started the turn against Time Eater with a 126 damage Heavy Blade before Vulnerability, with a Necronomicon waiting to proc.

I'm in heaven.

Strength Ironclad is fun :) However, I just had a block/wound warrior with evolve. I killed the boss by drawing essentially my entire deck in a single turn, gaining over 200 block, with 5 Body Slam for the OTK.

Can they release more content? Like now? Please?

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    I'd rather they not rush it. At worst I'd just revisit the game a month or two down the road and enjoy the updates then

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'd rather they not rush it. At worst I'd just revisit the game a month or two down the road and enjoy the updates then

At this point I treat anything extra as free DLC. They literally could've sold the game as-is and it would've been worth it for me.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

At this point I treat anything extra as free DLC. They literally could've sold the game as-is and it would've been worth it for me.

It's a full game imo

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

It's a full game imo

It's a base set. Which I guess technically means it's a full game, but I'm happy to pay for additional content as DLC. Also, I'm more worried about good new content (because bad stuff ruins these kinds of games) but I'm antsy because it's got me hooked :)

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    milski wrote: »
    That tier list calls accuracy the worst card in the game but my strongest, most inevitable runs have all been shiv heavy decks. Maybe I just got super lucky with synergies.

The list does call out that Accuracy has a potential to be an A-ranked card if you've got heavy shiv presence. Things with high base rankings tend to just be good cards in almost any deck. The lower a card goes on the list, the more likely that it's a bad card unless your deck can support it. For example, Skewer... it's very similar to Whirlwind but due to not being able to hit AoE and Silent not having nearly as much strength available in their kit leads to it being a card that I'd skip 99 times out of a hundred.

Of course, it's also just a subjective list that isn't backed by data analysis in any way, so I really recommend using it as one resource among many. I've found it helpful both to steer my early picks and figure out which synergistic cards I should pursue as my deck shapes up.

edit re: content

I'm honestly impressed having watched their weekly patch notes how quickly they're moving the game forward. As far as I can tell, MegaCrit is a 2 person company with just a couple additional contributors. I agree that what's in the game right now feels like a complete product for the price at which they're asking.

Dehumanized on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    You don't really need strength for Skewer to be good. Some adrenaline, outmaneuvers, and flying kicks and Skewer+ will one-shot a lot of enemies.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    milski wrote: »
    That tier list calls accuracy the worst card in the game but my strongest, most inevitable runs have all been shiv heavy decks. Maybe I just got super lucky with synergies.

The list does call out that Accuracy has a potential to be an A-ranked card if you've got heavy shiv presence. Things with high base rankings tend to just be good cards in almost any deck. The lower a card goes on the list, the more likely that it's a bad card unless your deck can support it. For example, Skewer... it's very similar to Whirlwind but due to not being able to hit AoE and Silent not having nearly as much strength available in their kit leads to it being a card that I'd skip 99 times out of a hundred.

Of course, it's also just a subjective list that isn't backed by data analysis in any way, so I really recommend using it as one resource among many. I've found it helpful both to steer my early picks and figure out which synergistic cards I should pursue as my deck shapes up.

edit re: content

I'm honestly impressed having watched their weekly patch notes how quickly they're moving the game forward. As far as I can tell, MegaCrit is a 2 person company with just a couple additional contributors. I agree that what's in the game right now feels like a complete product for the price at which they're asking.

I hope they get more people on board. This could and should be a huge hit (like Sentinels of the Multiverse) and could be great on mobile too.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I was playing with Pen Nib and necronomicon and fought the giant head. Hit for 475 damage in the first round including a 200 damage bludgeon.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If anyone is having trouble with this game, I'd say the biggest lesson I learned was: DO NOT PICK UP CARDS "JUST BECAUSE".

There are certain cards that are key to building certain decks, but there are a lot of others that look "good" in particular decks but actually have too high of an opportunity cost to utilize properly unless you manage to get a lucky run.

The second biggest lesson: Removing a card is often more valuable than anything else you can do.

The best part about this game is figuring out how to balance the deck-building with the potential of whether or not you can actually get what you need to win. Picking up everything because it's shiny will almost never work outside of a deck that is actually designed to win that way (which I think is relegated to Snecko Eye + infinite energy + constant deck shuffle?). I mean, even there you would kind of have to luck into it, because Snecko Eye builds generally revolve around only taking high-cost cards and getting rid of anything 2 and under.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    If I could permanently start with the "Gain Shit when you Skip Cards" relic I'd be so happy

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind one more level of the spire. When the game ends I'm either really close to getting my deck right or I just did. I'd love to just wreck shit on a 4th level.

As long as they don't try to make it challenging by adding bullshit mechanics that is.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I would have been a lot worse at this game to start with if I'd never played Dominion.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    If anyone is having trouble with this game, I'd say the biggest lesson I learned was: DO NOT PICK UP CARDS "JUST BECAUSE".

There are certain cards that are key to building certain decks, but there are a lot of others that look "good" in particular decks but actually have too high of an opportunity cost to utilize properly unless you manage to get a lucky run.

The second biggest lesson: Removing a card is often more valuable than anything else you can do.

The best part about this game is figuring out how to balance the deck-building with the potential of whether or not you can actually get what you need to win. Picking up everything because it's shiny will almost never work outside of a deck that is actually designed to win that way (which I think is relegated to Snecko Eye + infinite energy + constant deck shuffle?). I mean, even there you would kind of have to luck into it, because Snecko Eye builds generally revolve around only taking high-cost cards and getting rid of anything 2 and under.

My other bit of advice: card upgrades are, generally, better than a random relic, assuming they're not on a crappy card (ie: Dagger Spray is great, Uppercut is choice, a basic strike/defend not so much). Therefore, a campfire is more valuable than an elite, and even an elite you can get on the way is potentially not worth it if you're going to need to rest at the campfire afterwards. Corollary: Shoveling often isn't great because you're giving up an upgrade for it.

Garthor wrote: »

My other bit of advice: card upgrades are, generally, better than a random relic, assuming they're not on a crappy card (ie: Dagger Spray is great, Uppercut is choice, a basic strike/defend not so much). Therefore, a campfire is more valuable than an elite, and even an elite you can get on the way is potentially not worth it if you're going to need to rest at the campfire afterwards. Corollary: Shoveling often isn't great because you're giving up an upgrade for it.

I think it depends on what you're building towards. Some decks require specific relics to really shine, and if you're just that 1 relic short, it's not crazy to go digging.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Always dig.

The depths beckon, we must delve deeper.

Characters
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    If you're building your deck around hoping for a specific relic to show up eventually, you're sort of setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think this game really nailed the agony of opportunity cost decision-making. You can play really conservatively and have a high chance of finishing a run, but it also makes for really boring, really tedious play. You can branch out and try to build spectacular combos, but that requires getting particular cards/upgrades/relics and you aren't always guaranteed to get them (and if you don't then you've basically hampered your entire run by going down that route).

There are different game modes similar to Ascension that I think would really shine, too.

I really like infernal blade. 1 energy for usually a higher energy cost card for free. Then upgrade it and it is free too

Always dig and fight maximal elites because relics are fun. Also nets you bonus points.

I actually like upgrading a defend or two because I'm not realistically going to get rid of all of them and blocking for 8 is way, way better then blocking for 5, just in how it matches up against how much you tend to get attacked for.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Oooooo...

If you have Evolve active, and play Warcry and draw a Wound, you still trigger Evolve's draw cards on drawing a Wound trigger even if you chose to put the Wound back on top of your deck, so you immediately redraw it and draw 2 more cards from a second trigger.

Characters
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    There is a certain joy to looking at a card that does something unique, or seeing a synergy, and trying to pull that off. Self damage ironclad is considered one of the weaker synergies(partially because one cannot be sure if block will block the damage or not), but the fun is in making it work.

In pure theory crafting, I would dig the third character being one of those bird cultists that uses modified monster abilities. Card that grants block and fly(3) this turn, so enemy attacks will deal half damage until you get hit three times then you get two stunned cards. Snecko card that randomized the cost of cards in your hand this turn. Put a card inside a monster like the minions of the bronze autonomaton, but it hurts/weakens them as it’s version of discard/exhaust. Give yourself malleable, so when you take health damage you get increasing armor.

VRXwDW7.png
    I'd like a hero that rewards having a massive deck. Right now, it's generally better to have a small, tight deck. Having a hero who rewards playing cards with multiple names/effects would create perhaps a weaker overall hero, but one with the potential for some insanity.

Also a speed up or toggle.

edited February 2018
    The Head reached 50 damage swings.

I won, with 4 hp remaining. I'd like to credit the randomly-transformed-into Impervious, which did not exhaust itself 3 times, for saving my bacon.

Aegis on
    Characters
    Always dig and fight maximal elites because relics are fun. Also nets you bonus points.

I actually like upgrading a defend or two because I'm not realistically going to get rid of all of them and blocking for 8 is way, way better then blocking for 5, just in how it matches up against how much you tend to get attacked for.

Dark star makes this strategy a winner

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Streaming some Ironclad gameplay. Tune in!

Edit: And it's over. Level 1 complete and about halfway through level 2. Deck started out with an Exhaust theme and has shifted to Armor/Exhaust. Strange run to say the least. Someone should watch the VOD and tell me all the stuff you'd have done differently.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Traded in my starting relic and got a pandora's box!

Best run ever.

The game mechanics of this game are really good. When I first started playing there were a lot of cards I didn't use and winning came down to getting the right relics. Now I use more of them and am winning pretty often. I'm on a 3 game win streak.

If you think that a class sucks or certain cards are terrible, there is a very good chance you don't know how to use it.

furbat on
    furbat wrote: »

Best run ever.

The game mechanics of this game are really good. When I first started playing there were a lot of cards I didn't use and winning came down to getting the right relics. Now I use more of them and am winning pretty often. I'm on a 3 game win streak.

If you think that a class sucks or certain cards are terrible, there is a very good chance you don't know how to use it.

When I win, it's because I'm awesome. When I lose, it's because of RNG and bullshit.

Or because I accidentally missed lethal by forgetting to apply vulnerable before attacking. No one saw that. No one.

My last two runs were self-sabotaged by missing lethal when I had it like 4 times in a row. Today has not been my day for doing basic arithmetic...

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I just had a nice win off a Discard Silent deck that just endlessly produced combos that made me feel smart as hell to play. Had both of the deal 3 to random enemy & gain 3 block on discard relics.

Lol i just put 139 poison on a boss by turn 2. EZMODE engaged.

Alright, part 2 of the Exhaust/Block experiment is live! Tune in now to see if the RNG gods are fair to me.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »

Best run ever.

When I win, it's because I'm awesome. When I lose, it's because of RNG and bullshit.

Or because I accidentally missed lethal by forgetting to apply vulnerable before attacking. No one saw that. No one.

(bolding mine) That's basically the Steam forums for this game in a nutshell. It's amusing how almost every single enemy type is "completely OP RNG bullshit that needs to be nerfed NOW!" if you go through a few pages. In reality the game has really good balance, you can tell these guys (and their alpha testers, read from an interview they had a bunch of Netrunner vets go through their game) have played tabletop card games a lot. Some of the whiners feel like they have no idea what a card game is, or maybe they all have a near-terminal case of Dunning-Kruger's.

Mirkel wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »

Best run ever.

(bolding mine) That's basically the Steam forums for this game in a nutshell. It's amusing how almost every single enemy type is "completely OP RNG bullshit that needs to be nerfed NOW!" if you go through a few pages. In reality the game has really good balance, you can tell these guys (and their alpha testers, read from an interview they had a bunch of Netrunner vets go through their game) have played tabletop card games a lot. Some of the whiners feel like they have no idea what a card game is, or maybe they all have a near-terminal case of Dunning-Kruger's.

lol probably the latter. I agree that the game has insanely good balance, particularly for this early stage. After some time (I've put in 50 hours or so at this point) recognize the little mistakes that add up over time. I've lost more than my share of runs by a few HP and can trace the loss to a couple slight misplays much earlier. Tightening up play and taking a second to think really helps a lot.

Run complete! Finished the whole thing with the Armor/Exhaust build. Near the end it was getting very silly when enemies put Dizzy cards into my hand.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SavoryBetterCourgetteKappaWealth

I love wrecking those cluster guys since they are often a pain. Feelsgoodman.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    getting the imp guy on the silent is a real problem lol.

lost a run because i ended up getting hit for 35hp by the first elite and could just never recover.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    wMO5za7.jpg

26 Relics on a single run. It was a monstrosity that worked because of Evolve+Juggernaut+lots of the strike that gives me a wound meant I always had massive hands that would keep giving me block, which would damage enemies.

I almost won and I honestly think I would have if I hadn't screwed up and accidentally played most of a huge hand before realizing I could have made the boss vulnerable and not taken another 15 damage before going to his next form.

I ate an engineer
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    maaan, i replaced my starting relic as silent and got sneko eye, and then never got offered a card above 1 cost for 2 entire areas and died to really bad ethereal draw luck at the end of the 2nd area. too bad so sad.

i tried to live by the rngesus, but instead i died by the rngesus.

aeNqQM9.jpg