As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Did something to my right wrist a couple weeks ago and it's very slowly getting better. Supporting the bar for presses aggravates it while pulling doesn't seem to bother it much. Going to wrap it somewhat gently and see if that helps with bench.

Will report back when I inevitably hurt it worse.

I used my wrist wraps today for heavy benches and it felt fantastic

Your mileage may vary

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Did something to my right wrist a couple weeks ago and it's very slowly getting better. Supporting the bar for presses aggravates it while pulling doesn't seem to bother it much. Going to wrap it somewhat gently and see if that helps with bench.

Will report back when I inevitably hurt it worse.

I used my wrist wraps today for heavy benches and it felt fantastic

Your mileage may vary

Wrist tolerated relatively heavy triples with the wrap, so I'd consider that a success. Now that I'm home, it feels possibly even a little better than before heading to the gym.

Last couple of saturdays have seen some pretty fun lifting in my buddy’s garage and then mine this week.

Good time to play around and try different stuff

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Are you all ready for some squat magic!!!

https://youtu.be/gsfASXB7_0I

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, that's so goddamn stupid.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Not going to lie, that looked like something else this early in the morning.

I’m still not sure if it’s a prank... your leg muscles doesn’t fucking work that way..

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    So, Larry Wheels, not content with being the strongest 242 in the world, decided to become a bodybuilding champ as well.

The myth of the fat powerlifter is well dead now.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    That's a pretty incredible showing at a first show for a non bodybuilder.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Not that it seems entirely out of place, but what's with the sword?

There’s obviously a healthy amount of PEDs involved as well (which he is open about), but yeah, impressive nevertheless.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    Sleep wrote: »

It’s a common trophy in bodybuilding shows (probably because of Conan)

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat

It’s a common trophy in bodybuilding shows (probably because of Conan)

Well fuck, looks like I need to win some bodybuilding shows
    i will not be winning any body building shows

edited February 2018
    Also that dudes quads are like horrifying

They're like the size of my torso

Sleep on
    You say horrifying, I say amazing.

There’s obviously a healthy amount of PEDs involved as well (which he is open about), but yeah, impressive nevertheless.

A lot of enhanced athletes definitely couldn't manage that physique though, especially if they'd been training with no aesthetic focus for years. I'm sure he was planning this for a long time and keeping his symmetry etc while powerlifting.

I'm just saying he could probably crush a human skull with those things

I'm just saying he could probably crush a human skull with those things

Stronger people are more useful and harder to kill.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I managed to hurt my knee stretching after my squats today, which has never happened. Rest of my week is upper body anyways, hoping I don't have to wrap it Monday. Could be my technique but knee wraps are the worst.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Things are finally starting to feel good again, who knew it'd take six weeks after basically a year of irregular training to get back in the groove?

I keep on building my bench press to former glory - 4 sets of 6 with 120kg. Don’t think I’ll program additional reps pr set as I’m already losing tightness.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    I've got some back/shoulder trubs so I'm really limited in what I can do at the moment. Trying one arm bench today. Leg press instead of squats and deadlifts (joy of joys). chest supported T bar row for pulls.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    My girlfriend needs to start with less weight than the 45lb bar we got for a decent number of exercises. The thing is I keep finding like 5' bars that are light enough (20-25 or so pounds), but those wouldn't fit on the rack without being on that precarious weight-holdy-bit, which seems like a very obviously a bad idea.

Any recommendations for a bar that would be 20-25lbs but fit a rack that's like 44" between the hooks?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    for a 20lbs bar could you just do a hand off and not worry about the hooks?

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    could start with goblet squats if you have lighter dumbbells

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Oh duh

It didn't even occur to me that of course while we'd be adding weights to the 20-lb bar it would still not outweigh the 45-lb bar at any point because we'd just switch over.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Rogue makes a 10kg bar and 2.5 kg bar, whether spending that money for a short term need is worth it is up to you I guess.

• David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Biking 3 miles to the gym is not a good idea on the day I do squats. Biking 3 miles home, uphill, is a worse one. I was passed by two women speedwalking. But 5x10 @ 110 kgs still feels damn good! Next week:115 kgs!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Sorry, 5 sets of 10 squats?

That is a level of self-loathing that I didn't know existed.

5 x 10 isn't that unusual, although personally I'd only do it as an overreach before a deload.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Hah, I tried to get into weightlifting really seriously years ago. I bought a cheap weight set (which only went up to 60 kilograms) and got started trying out these squats.

I did a set of five in front of a mirror with no weights to try to learn some form, then started adding weight, 5 kilos at a time.

Turns out I used to actually be fairly fit and strong before even trying to get strong, because I felt so little resistance I quickly ramped up to the maximum weight I could, and did 5 sets of 15 reps at that weight.

In my first ever session.

Lemme tell you now, 75 squats at ~135 pounds for your very first ever attempt at barbell squats might not feel so bad on the day, but...

I was basically unable to walk for like a whole week afterwards. We had a little Perth SE++ dinner meetup and I had serious issues just standing up and sitting down at the table, and that was ~5-6 days after.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fuck, first time in the gym in over 9 months and I feel like death. Only worked out for about 25 minutes too. I got fat. :(

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    New 4 rep PB on deadlifts with 185kg. My amrap sucked afterwards though.

c58yrqc48uto.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Alright, today was the third attempt to have a good normal day and get back on track. Attempted to get going a couple days ago with squats, but a lack of sleep the night before made it a waste of time.
    Today was better. Ate better, slept better, lifts went better. Wrist injury from a terrible attempt at a push-press is recovering nicely, but I've still got to wear wraps on nearly any weight on the bench.
    Been getting antsy to lift stuff again, ended up taking two weeks for a deload, and then an unexpected week of bad timing and a sick house really killed my ability to get right back into things

• NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    I did squats for the first time in a few months. It’s two days later and my ass hasn’t forgiven me yet.

I’m having trouble getting up from and down to a sitting position. Here’s hoping tommorrow is better and that I never skip squats for so long ever again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Hah, I tried to get into weightlifting really seriously years ago. I bought a cheap weight set (which only went up to 60 kilograms) and got started trying out these squats.

I did a set of five in front of a mirror with no weights to try to learn some form, then started adding weight, 5 kilos at a time.

Turns out I used to actually be fairly fit and strong before even trying to get strong, because I felt so little resistance I quickly ramped up to the maximum weight I could, and did 5 sets of 15 reps at that weight.

Lemme tell you now, 75 squats at ~135 pounds for your very first ever attempt at barbell squats might not feel so bad on the day, but...

I was basically unable to walk for like a whole week afterwards. We had a little Perth SE++ dinner meetup and I had serious issues just standing up and sitting down at the table, and that was ~5-6 days after.

I mean, why bother if your recovery is so slow after a workout of that intensity?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I mean, why bother if your recovery is so slow after a workout of that intensity?

That was entirely my fault, otherwise known as peak newbie stupidity. Start out slow. Probs don't do 75 ass-to-grass barbell back squats with 2/3 of your bodyweight for your first ever workout...

I couldn’t resist getting some volume today so I did 4x6x175kg and rack pulls and redneck reverse hypers

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    New deadlift rep PR. 430lbs for 3. Almost didn’t get the last one, but channeled the power of a full on psychotic break to nail it.

Now let’s try to fall asleep lol.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Gork wrote: »
    New deadlift rep PR. 430lbs for 3. Almost didn’t get the last one, but channeled the power of a full on psychotic break to nail it.

Now let’s try to fall asleep lol.

Yeah, nope. Goddamn, I suck at sleeping. Probably the biggest factor holding back my progress these days.

Gork on
This discussion has been closed.