As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dissidia Mobile] Aranea you folks gonna skip the new Global First character?

RiusRius Globex CEONobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
edited February 2020 in Games and Technology

This is the thread for talking about Square Enix's mobile gacha game, Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia. Released in tandem with Dissidia NT on consoles, it is set in the same universe and uses a similar Brave/HP battle system. It is fully turn based and most closely resembles FFX's turn-based battle system, where the upcoming order of player and enemy turns is visible.

Battles revolve around using Brave attacks to steal your opponent's Brave, adding it to your own. If you reduce your opponent's Brave to below 0 they become Broken, giving your team a bonus amount of Brave. You can use HP Attacks to deal HP damage equal to your Brave to your opponents, but doing so reduces your own Brave to zero. You have to strike a balance between being aggressive and cautious; enemy bosses can accumulate very large amounts of Brave, potentially enough to kill your characters in one hit.

You can recruit various Final Fantasy characters, and each character has two different abilities. Some characters have similar roles in a party but each is unique; Warrior of Light, Galuf, Celes and Snow are all tanks, but each has very different mechanisms to accomplish their role.

This mobile game differs from most in that it does not normally use a stamina system. You can play as much or as little as you like; there is almost no pressure or requirement to play every X hours. The one exception is the World of Illusions area, which has various content farmable for leveling Summons or making Artifacts. You can also only initiate 5 multiplayer fights per day, though you can join as many as you like.

All F2P "Gacha" games have an ingame currency, and DFFOO's is Gems. Using them allows you to pull weapons from various banners, and 5* weapons enhance the properties of (or add more effects to) specific character abilities. Duplicates can be used to break the level cap of weapons, and once a fully broken weapon is leveled to max, the ability enhancements are learned by the applicable character as a passive skill that can be equipped. In this way you can get the benefits of several fully leveled weapons even though you can only have one physically equipped at a time. Think of FF9's mastery system and you'll see the resemblances.

In addition to tons of Gems, we get tons of single draw Tickets that can help prolong your stockpile. We get a very high amount of gems and tickets each month, which is great because the 5* rate is 10% and you typically want multiple copies of weapons to level break and master them. To help master things, you can sell duplicates of weapons you don't want (or fully leveled weapons after you've mastered them) for Power Stones, four of which can be used in lieu of a duplicate to level break.

You can spend real money on Gems, but it's hardly necessary. We really do get a shitload of gems and tickets through clearing content. The game does run sales on gem packages every so often and there are some reasonable deals, relatively speaking.

A word on Developer interaction; the GL version of this game has an active community rep and the dev team seems genuinely interested in listening to and responding to player feedback. Also, we are not slavishly following the JP schedule; we receive character events in better order, we've gotten more difficult content and character balance buffs earlier, and there have been a couple character polls on Twitter where the community gets to vote on the next character event. Ability names and translations have been improved by popular demand. It feels like a very healthy relationship between player base and developer base.

There's more good info and discussion available on the DFFOO Subreddit. There is also a well maintained Dissidia Database site, and a Global Tier List site. The latter has useful info on team compositions and suggestions for which characters play well with which.

@Tiger Burning has made a spreadsheet for sharing PA friend codes; it is available here.

Rius on

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    N.B. if anyone wants me to add info to the OP, or even wants to take it over, please let me know and I'm happy to oblige. I probably won't be as on top of this game as Record Keeper.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I like this game. No stamina is a blessing and a half, it's the perfect companion to Record Keeper. Especially in these dark event stretching times.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Rius wrote: »
    I like this game. No stamina is a blessing and a half, it's the perfect companion to Record Keeper. Especially in these dark event stretching times.

There's stamina for the World of Illusion! Every 90 minutes you need to clear it! /sarcasm

E: Also 5 link bells, 5 daily quests, and 10 daily dungeons/day.

silence1186 on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I had to actually look up how ranks work, since I didn't have enough to actually do the lvl 60 quest in the world of illusion. Levelling characters I don't have decent gear for is going to be a drag, especially a caster, since I don't even have stat sticks for them.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Leveling goes pretty easily if you just take a single low level dude and two high level dudes into Hard Mode missions. It's what I plan on doing as soon as I get Terra on my party to replace Vivi. Sadly I don't have Terra's weapon. I'm hoping the next weekly draw banner has her stuff.

Yeah I'm 13/25 for 5* weapons, so I'm hoarding my gems for now, for the weekly stuff

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Just a little pro tip here

Summon battles (40 Behemoth and 45 Marlboro) are insanely lucrative sources of crystal income which are important for making your characters gooder (think motes in FFRK)

you can generally start doing them from around the mid 20s, earlier with a stacked carry (a 40+ Cloud can solo)

Use your bells, form groups with friends, have fun smashing things

It's easy enough to spam requests to your friends list, a few people should notice their friends tab flashing and join up

• FryFry Registered User regular
    I have only had like two people* so far be terrible at multiplayer, the vast majority of people seem competent enough.

* There was this one person who brought Yuna to the Malboro fight, and only used Esunaga while there were no debuffs in play. :X

I tried MP once with randoms and failed horribly, convincing myself it will be impossible for me forever.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Added myself to the sheet, I think I have Vaan set as my friend unit at the moment. Right now I have: 2xCloud and 1xWoL, Laguna, Bartz, Vaan and Rem.

Rem seems like a strong support if she gets levelled. She gets a turn swap ability later, with a passive that increases the turn rate of it.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    A few times, when I've done random searches for MP as a host, I end up with randos who bring like... a Level 5 character.

Unless I know you, I'm not going to want to try to carry you...
    Cruor wrote: »
    Leveling goes pretty easily if you just take a single low level dude and two high level dudes into Hard Mode missions. It's what I plan on doing as soon as I get Terra on my party to replace Vivi. Sadly I don't have Terra's weapon. I'm hoping the next weekly draw banner has her stuff.

If next week is the Squall event, his banner came with Zidane and Yang.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

i think it was zidane and tifa?

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Zidane Tifa and Squall huh? Hrm...I think I'll hold onto my gems for a bit and see what turns up and then maybe try a yolo pull for Terra's weapon on the monthly banner.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Got myself added to the spreadsheet. If MP is a possibility at mid-20s up, I could be down for that sometime tonight if we put together a team.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Zidane Tifa and Squall huh? Hrm...I think I'll hold onto my gems for a bit and see what turns up and then maybe try a yolo pull for Terra's weapon on the monthly banner.

Ramza was a couple months in in Japan, so I'm gonna hoard for a while.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited February 2018
    FdzQvWx.png

Worth noting that Squall and Terra get buffed to SSS tier eventually so they're investments

Beasteh on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My wife got one of the Dissidia codes from a co-worker. Her Cloud is disgusting.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I haven’t had any complete failures on pug MP. I’m running WoL and once get crystal level 20 he is great.

Got Y’sh to crystal level 20 as well, but haven’t tested Medica 2 to see if it’s great or not.

medica ii is fantastic

• MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    Y'shtola is an absolute monster in this game, even without her 5* (obviously that helps out though)

My buddy and I have been running my Y'shtola and his Penelo in multiplayer so the hordes of Cloud players can beat up behemoth uninterrupted, it ends up playing out like solitaire most rounds

Onion Knight is a little weird though, can't figure out if I actually like him or not

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Did a dumb thing and did my 4th pull on the Cloud/WoL/Bartz banner

Got my 4th Organics

So it's now fully uncapped, and I just need to level it up

Also I got Bartz's 5*, finally

IKknkhU.gif
    enjoy needing a billion red stones to level that weapon to cap

Finally unlocked Yuna and gave her her weapon. Esuna is kind of nice buffing everyone's BRV.

Finally unlocked Yuna and gave her her weapon. Esuna is kind of nice buffing everyone's BRV.

Yea, I've been enjoying it as a way to keep people "safe" from breaks while still pushing damage.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    enjoy needing a billion red stones to level that weapon to cap

Yeah, it's...

A lot

IKknkhU.gif
    New banner live, no 1/2 off, did a pull.

1/11: Twin Lance! (also 6/11 4*!)

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    No half price draw is sadface!

Got 2/11 double Tifa on mine. I got Squall's 4* weapon too kek

No half-price on new banners is a fair trade I guess for guaranteed 5* at launch. And who knows, maybe they'll give us half price draws on new banners in the future.

Finally got a dagger, with Zidane.

Got Squalls thing

Just focusing on Squall Vaan and Terra when it comes to their 15/35 CP relics and limit breaks

Beasteh you always seem to know the metagame and what things to shoot for:

Is this an okay banner to pull on?

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I like the game, and it's pretty fun, but good lord my rerolls are terribad.

edited February 2018
    Beasteh you always seem to know the metagame and what things to shoot for:

Is this an okay banner to pull on?

Pulling this from Reddit so you have an idea of who to focus on crystal levelling EVEN WITHOUT THEIR 5* (not hugely important this early in the game, it's easy enough, just future proofing)

I've bolded the important ones for ease of reference

BLACK

Squall SS - best short range phsyical attacker - we got 35 CP armor for him pretty early also.
    Cecil SS - AOE brave attack
    King - A Rank (best ranged physical attacker)
    Vivi - A rank fire mage
    Shadow - A rank
    Future : Kefka S Rank (best debuffer)

WHITE

Yuna - SS Rank BRV and HP recovery support, status recovery
    WoL - SS Rank Second best tank (snow is better)
    Hope - A Rank
    Future: Serah - SS rank

BLUE

Zidane - SS Rank (Top Brave Attacker) -, debuffs, phys attacker
    Cloud - S rank - paralysis user, has access to a 35 cp weapon now long before others, for those with the NT code
    Laguna - S rank
    Edge - S rank evading tank
    Future : Tidus SS Rank, Krile SS rank buffer

GREEN

Terra - SS rank - Second best magic attacker after vaan
    Rem - S rank - hp recovery and buffs
    Yda - B rank
    Steiner - B rank
    Future : Snow - SS Rank, Best tank, Ace SS rank, Sephiroth S rank

RED

Vaan - SS - Best HP attacker
    Firion - SS Rank atttacker that can recover own HP
    Onion knight - S Rank
    Sazh - C rank
    Yuffie - C Rank

YELLOW

Bartz - SS rank - Half of enemy brave with missile and extra attack
    Y'shtola - S rank BRV battery and delayer
    Yang - S rank
    Tifa - A Rank
    Future : Lilisette SS Rank Best support, Lightning - SS rank

Beasteh on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Well, that makes me feel really good about my pulls so far. Cecil, Terra, Bartz x2, Firion, Onion Knight, Rem... and Shadow x3.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    Have been messing around with this over the weekend, is pretty neat. Have Cloud/Vaan/Terra annd a couple other random ones. If we follow the JP banners it looks like Yuna will be on the next one. Kind of want her staff for esuna and that banner is better odds than the starter banner. After that seems like waiting for the 35cp of the decent units I have is the way to go, so just a lot of crystal and weapon stuff farming.

Too busy to really take advantage of not having stamina, but seems like it won't be all that hard to keep up with the content at least. Though no idea how to get enough foddder to max out a weapon even if you have the dupes to max limit it, other than a whoooooole lot of grinding. Or whaling for 4* fodder I guess.

ffbe ign: Kas
    Yea at first I was grinding the left side of Carbuncle for crystals but depending on how generous MP is (which I need to do sometime) maybe materials is the better way to go since I'm not sure what else would be a good repeatable way of getting higher value mats.

Fuck Joe Manchin
    The left side is a trap, weapon/armor mats are by far the most limited resource

My FB group of friends (who all also happen to play FFRK) and I can't escape the Massive Explosion song. It took a long time, but it grew on me.

We renamed ourselves in the group to different lyrics in the song.

I'm usually humming the damn piano version of the song in my head at any given time.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I have a problem with a tier list that goes from SS to A

eta: so if we go by that tier list, the current event banner's characters are SS, SS, and A, so I guess it's pretty good? But are the characters rated that high based on these items, or are the ratings based on some other gacha item that we won't even have a chance to draw for for another six months?

Fry on