As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I was just going to post that going for the boss relic seems like a trap, but then I just got the sozu =P. To be fair, the last time I did it I got the dome.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The dome is probably the best of the extra energy relics once you've played enough, most enemies are pretty predictable. Other than a late ectoplasm, of course.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited February 2018
    Ha, I'll pass on it. I could see maybe taking in act II, because by then I'm mostly playing solitaire anyway. I don't think I can handle starting the game with it.

Also, I've realized that I don't need the energy a turn that badly. I'm starting to like the boss relics that transform cards more. On silent I try to pick up outmanuever and cycle it repeatedly. 1 extra AP just makes the first couple turns easier and there are a lot of other relics/cards you can pick up that will help you out there anyway.

I'm 100% win rate this morning with silent =P

furbat on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    This is one of those games where you can see in early access that this is eventually going to end up being a really good, possibly bloated monstrosity like Isaac

Looking forward to the mage archetype

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I beat a run, yay! Only took me ~12 hours :D

I used a standard Block Ironclad build.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i feel like i have no idea how to make a good silent deck that isn't poison based. i can get the card cycle and the energy but i just don't know where to find the damage.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Man, the Bouncing Poison (x2), Catalyst, and Corpse Explosion combo is super busted. Got a new personal high score with it (712).

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    well, i did eventually win with that deck. it was kinda mediocre but i got 2 predator+ in the 3rd area which ended up being the majority of my damage.

got the time guy as the final boss too which was nice, someone who had more rushdown would have been scary, because my deck was slow af. i did actually die to a giant head but i took a lizard tail from 2nd boss because there was nothing good from it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Setup, when upgraded, is a surprisingly good card in the right deck. I kind of dismissed it, then got it during a transform, and it really carried weight in a poison deck by making higher cost skills and powers free (along with some card cycle, of course). It gets double busted with the top.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    There isn’t much that compares to the explosive nature of doubling, with Limit Break or Catalyst. Nevertheless you can find neat uses in maximizing the number of cards played with vulnerable on the enemy with Thousand Cuts+, Choke and Finisher. Or generally keeping a tight deck of effective block and one or two strong attack effects.

VRXwDW7.png
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    There isn’t much that compares to the explosive nature of doubling, with Limit Break or Catalyst. Nevertheless you can find neat uses in maximizing the number of cards played with vulnerable on the enemy with Thousand Cuts+, Choke and Finisher. Or generally keeping a tight deck of effective block and one or two strong attack effects.

But it's so much more fun to put up gigantic numbers! Although creating a deck with top that was just a deflect and a slice was fun. Easiest win I ever had.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    CA-CAAWW!!!!

edited February 2018
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i feel like i have no idea how to make a good silent deck that isn't poison based. i can get the card cycle and the energy but i just don't know where to find the damage.

Choke (stacking it doesn't do much though), eviscerate, flechettes, and the finisher are all good options. Choke is 2 energy but will easily do 100+ damage a turn once you get all your powers, ap gen, and exhaust cards up. Eviscerate+ ends up costing 0 mana if you have a preparation+ and acrobatics and does 24 damage each cast. You should be able to throw it down more than once a turn. Flechettes is 1 ap but will do about 40 damage with a full hand (assuming some are attacks), and the finisher is really good if you have a deck built around heel strikes, flash of steels, and shivs.

On my pandora's box run I got a skewer. That card is sweet. I counts as an attack even at 0 ap, so it's great with the 3 attacks per turn relics. I ended up just building around that.

Your big concern is just cycling your deck consistently and generating a ton of armor. Damage just needs a single card.

furbat on
    edited February 2018
    I just had a run where my only source of added damage was caltrops+ until halfway through floor 2. I still won. I ended up picking up a bouncing flask which I combo'd with madness. That ended up being my only real source of damage all game (I had one heel strike and no other damage cards)

I'm up to a 4 game win streak with silent. I've only lost games this weekend if I took a risks for fun (like going for the boss relic at start). I'm winning with some janky decks, I think I figured silent out.

furbat on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    I just started a game with Snecko Eye and then got Bullet Time on the first Elite fight the dream.
    uMc2JkH.jpg

The blurriest.

So I'm guessing your strategy was to card cycle as much as possible, then play bullet time to make everything free?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    So I'm guessing your strategy was to card cycle as much as possible, then play bullet time to make everything free?

Yes. I've had runs before without the constant five stacks of blur or the gambling chip to make it this consistent and impervious, but I enjoy the core of Snecko Eye + one or two bullet times, some backflips and whatever high cost nonsense you can pick up. Bullet Timing out a hand of 6+ cards with an average real energy cost of like 1.75 will almost always be a solid turn.

First time I've gotten Predators running with Snecko Eye too. Would recommend.

How come "Randomize a card's cost" means "set it's cost to 3" most of the time? :(

Steam profile
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    How come "Randomize a card's cost" means "set it's cost to 3" most of the time? :(

Murphy's law.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

It's a perception thing. The game's natural state is heavily skewed towards 1-cost cards (it's like 50% of the card pool), with 0- and 2-cost cards after that, and 3-cost cards even rarer than that. Assuming Snecko Eye is truly random, then over enough sample you will invariably get an even distribution (e.g., 25%/25%/25%/25% for 0/1/2/3) instead of the weighted curve that naturally exists.

It's a perception thing. The game's natural state is heavily skewed towards 1-cost cards (it's like 50% of the card pool), with 0- and 2-cost cards after that, and 3-cost cards even rarer than that. Assuming Snecko Eye is truly random, then over enough sample you will invariably get an even distribution (e.g., 25%/25%/25%/25% for 0/1/2/3) instead of the weighted curve that naturally exists.

I know, I'm just complaining :P

Steam profile

I know, I'm just complaining :P

NO COMPLAINING JUST DRAW HARDER

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    The trick to snecko eye (and an 860 score) is 4 Bludgeon+ :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I like the game, but i think its tuned a bit to the difficult side due to the RNG nature of the cards you earn. I tried at least a dozen times over this weekend to try one of these ironclad infinite combo decks, and only once was i able to get my deck count under 8 cards, and that run i ended up dying on the first boss (boss had 2 health).

I think making the choice of cards when you defeat something 4 cards instead of three might make it better since the ability to build a deck is improved.

Wierdly, the very first game i played I got to the final boss but lost. have only done that about 3 times since, still have not downed that last boss.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    This game is good. Really good. The thread title is no joke. The past two nights, I’ve gotten to sleep much later than I should’ve because of this game.

Buying this again when it comes to mobile is already tempting.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I don't particularly care for the fact that of you get unlucky on the first floor and die it punishes you out of getting a starting choice. I took a risk trying something new and then felt like the game said "hey, quit that".

I hope they change that.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I don't particularly care for the fact that of you get unlucky on the first floor and die it punishes you out of getting a starting choice. I took a risk trying something new and then felt like the game said "hey, quit that".

I hope they change that.

I'm sure it's there to prevent people from restart scumming for the perfect start. I don't really care either way - I never die on the first floor but since it's a single player game I'm not bothered if somebody would abuse it.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    This game is good. Really good. The thread title is no joke. The past two nights, I’ve gotten to sleep much later than I should’ve because of this game.

Buying this again when it comes to mobile is already tempting.

Having this on my PC has lead to Civilization-level "wait, what time is it?" just-one-more-turn runs. Having it on mobile will be insane, not just for the increased accessibility, but the fact that it's single-player turn-based means it's that much easier to pick up and put down. Almost every game I've gotten into on mobile has been either multiplayer like Heartstone, or involves some sort of real-time interaction, both of which make it less convenient for really short bursts.

I like the game a lot but I don't find it so hard to stop after a run, especially a failed one for a little while.

• morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    So this is where the HotS and Hearthstone threads went! Aha!

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I picked this up when someone mentioned it in the holiday thread, it's been pretty fun!

My win rate is pretty good, probably above 50% lately. My strategy for both characters is usually "pick the route that goes through the most elites" because relics are the light. Sometimes I get burned by that though - a significant chunk of my losses are to elites in the first area, particularly if I haven't picked up enough impactful cards. So I'm trying to be better about opting out of elites if the deck's not ready for them.

The two classes seem pretty balanced. Ironclad's starting relic is way better, but Bash is hot garbage compared to the awesomeness that is Neutralize (especially after upgrade).

I've never managed to get especially close to an infinite deck, but that's because I can't help but pick up lots of shinies. Trashing starter cards is a high priority, though.

Fry on
    Fry wrote: »
    I picked this up when someone mentioned it in the holiday thread, it's been pretty fun!

My win rate is pretty good, probably above 50% lately. My strategy for both characters is usually "pick the route that goes through the most elites" because relics are the light. Sometimes I get burned by that though - a significant chunk of my losses are to elites in the first area, particularly if I haven't picked up enough impactful cards. So I'm trying to be better about opting out of elites if the deck's not ready for them.

The two classes seem pretty balanced. Ironclad's starting relic is way better, but Bash is hot garbage compared to the awesomeness that is Neutralize (especially after upgrade).

I've never managed to get especially close to an infinite deck, but that's because I can't help but pick up lots of shinies. Trashing starter cards is a high priority, though.

Every guide i read says relics are not as good as cards, and to fight as much as possible.

I may have picked 4 copies of Catalyst. I don't recommend it...although I still won in the end.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Every guide i read says relics are not as good as cards, and to fight as much as possible.

Well those guides are laaaaaame.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    azith28 wrote: »

You still get cards from fighting Elites (unless they changed that since I last played?). Also, I almost never decline to take a relic when I'm offered, whereas I decline a significant portion of card selections (and should probably decline even more).

Fry on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    After a few false starts I finally got a discard Silent deck going. It’s really fun playing like 15 cards per turn.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    New record: Distraction > Distraction > Distraction > Doppelganger

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited February 2018
    The key to going infinite is just to have a really small deck. A 11 card deck with 2 heel strikes can go infinite.

I was on my way to a fifth win in a row on silent, but lost because I skipped over a bouncing flask and had no real way of doing damage at the end of the second floor. I love that even though I lose, I know why I lost. There is RNG but it is starting to feel more and more fair as I figure the game out.

furbat on
    Aegis wrote: »
    New record: Distraction > Distraction > Distraction > Doppelganger

I once got three straight Limit Breaks from Dead Branch.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I almost had an infinite deck...deck down to 7 cards, 2 drop kicks....