As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The guys that shove stuff in your draw pile are the worst. I get a deck working in perfect (ish) harmony, and then it all falls apart because 50% of my draws become dead.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    The guys that shove stuff in your draw pile are the worst. I get a deck working in perfect (ish) harmony, and then it all falls apart because 50% of my draws become dead.

Sever Soul is the light.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I may have missed it, but I wanted to comment that the little end scene when you "beat" the spire (just on normal difficulty at least, I haven't beaten anything in Ascension) is really cool.

Steam profile
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Finally beat the fucking Time Lord with Silent.

I actually had a choice really early on in the run to either go down Poison or infinite attacks, and I'm glad I chose the former (assuming it would've led to the same final boss).

Did you guys know that Time Lord has a bullshit ability that lets him wipe all poison stacks? I was one turn from Corpse Explosion lethal and the motherfucker is like "NOPE LUL" and wipes everything. All he was doing was prolonging the inevitable, though. :twisted:

I actually had a choice really early on in the run to either go down Poison or infinite attacks, and I'm glad I chose the former (assuming it would've led to the same final boss).

Did you guys know that Time Lord has a bullshit ability that lets him wipe all poison stacks? I was one turn from Corpse Explosion lethal and the motherfucker is like "NOPE LUL" and wipes everything. All he was doing was prolonging the inevitable, though. :twisted:

There's at least one other boss that can do that too, at about 1/3 HP

Steam profile
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

There's at least one other boss that can do that too, at about 1/3 HP
    Champ is the other one that purges debuffs. Time Lord's purge also heals him to exactly half health, and I think he invariably does it the turn after you bring him below half health, so save your actions (or intentionally pop his passive if it's already high). It's also the only pure buff move he has, so if you see the blue flames you know that's what's happening.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The wife was telling me that the Time Lord healed/cleansed himself, but I never got to see it since he had over 300 poison stacks on his turn. Try healing 50%->0% fool!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    And I got my first Silent clear, yay!

Steam profile
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    You know, Gremlin Horn + Ice Cream when poison damage is killing enemies on their turn is a really nice combo. Free bonus energy!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    47pm1lrpmumc.jpg

Alright, I got a 17 card deck with 6 powers and an exhaust card. I only have one cantrip but I can cycle manuever. Time to end this. So close to a perfect deck...
    lxxw9nf8vcm4.jpg

Damnit... Every time you make a deck that can end the last boss on turn 2-3.

I did get 849 points that run though.

furbat on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

When Ethereal cards exhaust themselves, that counts for "When a card is exhausted..." triggers.

This changes everything

Characters
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I got the hand relic that makes powers cause other cards to be free, cursed key, self forming clay, calipers, the one that is 3 damage if they attack.

2 copies of juggernaugt plus, the power that gives you more strength when you take damage, the power that gives more block when you take damage, and the power that gives you 3 block every turn. And the relic that dies 5 damage to a random monster when you gain block.

I also turned into a vampire and had the relic that gave me attack cards plus when they went into my deck.

Basically if they struck me down I became more powerful than they ever could imagine. I Obi wan'ed it.

Edit: there was a single elite where immolate caused me to gain just enough block to live.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

When Ethereal cards exhaust themselves, that counts for "When a card is exhausted..." triggers.

This changes everything

Yeah, with dead branch relic, your deck starts to massively grow, hahahah.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
    edited February 2018
    Dead Branch is one of the relics you really need to sit down and think about whether you should pick it up or not.

But then you take it anyway because it's fun.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I can see now why the Exhaust Block deck is highly regarded.

Feel No Pain+, Dark Embrace+, Evolve+, Power Through+, Burning Pact+, Second Wind, Havoc+ (I had Frozen Eye to always let me know what Havoc was going to cast), with a Demon Form+, 2x Body Slam+, and a Fiend Fire (and Pummel+ when Demon Form had ticked long enough).

You make so much armour all the time. And if the boss puts Dazes in your deck, you're happy!

Characters
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Oh....I should have expected this. My deck can't go infinite, but it can go BIG kinda like Storm in mtg. I was fighting the "Awakened One" and stopped playing conservatively to blow the rest of my hand with Unload figuring that I'd end the fight before he could rage mode.
    This isn't even my final form.

edit:
    I ended up getting my defenses back up, barely, and then managed to drag out the win. That was my first victory with the Silent. I'm not sure precisely what makes up the Silent's archetypes, but my deck was mostly focused on stacking block and drawing cards with backflip. I upgraded a copy of calculated gambit and preparedness once I found the Tingsha and Tough Bandages relics. I had a letter opener slicing things up too. Upgraded Burst was probably my favorite card.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Are there patch notes?

I'm watching someone playing on the beta (which gets the new weekly patch a few days earlier, apparently), and some of the changes look cool. For example, they tell you what the boss is of each Act on the map with nifty new art.

Steam profile
    Are there patch notes?

I'm watching someone playing on the beta (which gets the new weekly patch a few days earlier, apparently), and some of the changes look cool. For example, they tell you what the boss is of each Act on the map with nifty new art.

There are patch notes in-client, so you can see what's new by opting into the beta branch :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Are there patch notes?

There are patch notes in-client, so you can see what's new by opting into the beta branch :P

Is that only for the beta branch, or does the regular client show the patch notes too? I barely looked through the menu options ever, just jump straight into play :P

Steam profile
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The wife and I have both slowed down playing. Beaten the game several times with each character and it's gotten a little repetitive. Still fun, but the freshness is starting to wear off.

Definitely the kind of game I could see me playing too much of if new content (cards, heroes, monsters, etc) are pumped into it on a regular basis in the future.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Are there patch notes?

Is that only for the beta branch, or does the regular client show the patch notes too? I barely looked through the menu options ever, just jump straight into play :P

It's on the regular client, too.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    This game seems real good. Not quite ready to pull the trigger on it, I want to see what they add in terms of content. But a fully realized version of Hearthstone dungeon run is something I really want.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I had a sweet barricade body slam deck going. Them it totally beefed it by misplaying a sever soul and killing my 40 block gain card.

I had an exhaust gains block exhaust deals 3 damage synergy going too.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    This game seems real good. Not quite ready to pull the trigger on it, I want to see what they add in terms of content. But a fully realized version of Hearthstone dungeon run is something I really want.

It's $15. Well worth that price already.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    5 new ascension levels on beta

1) Elites spawn more often.
    2) Normal enemies are deadlier.
    3) Elites are deadlier.
    4) Bosses are deadlier.
    5) Heal less after Boss battles.
    6) Start each run damaged.
    7) Normal enemies are tougher.
    8) Elites are tougher.
    9) Bosses are tougher.
    10) Start with a "Parasite" curse in your deck.
    11) Potions are less potent.
    12) Upgraded cards appear less often.
    13) Bosses Drop Less Gold.
    14) Lower Max HP.
    15) Unfavourable Events.

Beasteh on
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I'd rather work on self imposed challenges like getting a 10 game win streak or making a 1 turn kill deck. I don't find the ascension levels to be appealing.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I wish I could pick or better yet, mix and match my ascension level.

More elites is fun, "bad guys have more numbers" is not.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I don't enjoy the base game any more, too used to the restrictions imposed by ascension, it makes choices far more meaningful and interesting

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm kinda embarassed i have yet to beat the game. I've gotten close, but the RNG is irritating when trying to aim for a specific build and not getting critical cards.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I finally won with Silent - swapped my opening Relic for the Transform/Upgrade 3 cards relic and got a Bullet Time+, which is straight up busted.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

I seem to remember the devs saying that eventually you can choose your ascension level. Not sure if there's going to be a mix/match thing.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I'm kinda embarassed i have yet to beat the game. I've gotten close, but the RNG is irritating when trying to aim for a specific build and not getting critical cards.

I think "aiming for a specific build" is a bad starting point. Build on what you got, don't take cards that might be nice in the future. That's one of the reasons I don't like Ironclad's Barricade (too reliant on getting Body Slam/Barricade/Entrench) and Silent's Shiv decks (you really want Accuracy for it to work, but Accuracy alone does nothing). My 25-30 card fat generic decks aren't going to win any beauty contests but they tend to work just fine.

One place where the RNG is truly quite swingy is with the boss relics, there's a huge difference in getting two good boss relics vs getting two crap ones. If you are having trouble killing the third floor end boss, getting a Lizard's Tail and a decent +energy relic should be enough to eke out a win.

Mirkel wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »

I seem to remember the devs saying that eventually you can choose your ascension level. Not sure if there's going to be a mix/match thing.

I think "choose the ascension level" is on the beta now, so it's coming

Steam profile
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

I think "aiming for a specific build" is a bad starting point. Build on what you got, don't take cards that might be nice in the future. That's one of the reasons I don't like Ironclad's Barricade (too reliant on getting Body Slam/Barricade/Entrench) and Silent's Shiv decks (you really want Accuracy for it to work, but Accuracy alone does nothing). My 25-30 card fat generic decks aren't going to win any beauty contests but they tend to work just fine.

One place where the RNG is truly quite swingy is with the boss relics, there's a huge difference in getting two good boss relics vs getting two crap ones. If you are having trouble killing the third floor end boss, getting a Lizard's Tail and a decent +energy relic should be enough to eke out a win.
    What does a shivless Silent even look like? I don't think I've ever once seen the dungeon generate enough non-shiv-based damage to kill anything. I got almost halfway to a poison core once, maybe.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Noxious Fumes and Bouncing Flask have been all I've needed to kill things with Silent. Just draw, block, draw some more, and kill things with Poison ticks.

Characters
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The two other types of "main" decks besides shiv for the silent are discard and poison.

Noxious Fumes and Bouncing Flask have been all I've needed to kill things with Silent. Just draw, block, draw some more, and kill things with Poison ticks.

You need Corpse Explosion, too. Without that card you will be hard-pressed to win race fights.

Race fights.

Hmm...

That could mean something else in a completely different context.

You need Corpse Explosion, too. Without that card you will be hard-pressed to win race fights.

Race fights.

Hmm...

Catalyst can be enough, actually. Burst and Catalyst+ changes 10 poison to 90. That'll kill almost anything in a few turns.

Steam profile

Race fights.

Hmm...

Catalyst can be enough, actually. Burst and Catalyst+ changes 10 poison to 90. That'll kill almost anything in a few turns.

Ideally you'd have both, for sure. I don't think I've ever finished a run with just Catalyst. I feel like you'd have to get some RNG luck and avoid multi-spawn fights. Although I guess you could pick up some straight AOE damage to compensate.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Race fights.

Hmm...

Corpse explosion isnt as good as upgraded Catlyst.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum