As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I do not blame Hammond for dropping out on that one. That looks proper terrifying and dangerous, especially in that car.

Also time to change thread title to "Hamster screws big cat"

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Given his luck doing that challenge in that car would have 100% killed Hammond.

I loved how garbage those ridiculously expensive cars were just bumbling around at low speed, great change of pace to how they usually shower endless praise on similar vehicles.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    They would be awesome cars to tow to a track and drive around for a few hours.

But as they've shown/talked about many times before track day cars are horrible things to drive around normal streets in.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Turns out overly tall gearing ratios are a pain in the dick! Especially without a good set of synchros

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I love the fact that they do so much car and racing history. Loved the rallye segment last week and the two old cars this week.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    I love the fact that they do so much car and racing history. Loved the rallye segment last week and the two old cars this week.

Yeah I found myself enjoying that segment way more than I would have thought. I really don't know or care much for racing but they were able to keep that segment interesting.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Its a great way to separate form Top gear too.
    All 3 presenters are great at voice overs, and have done really stand out documentaries outside of car stuff.
    I REALLY hope they keep that section on Grand Tour.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    They would be awesome cars to tow to a track and drive around for a few hours.

But as they've shown/talked about many times before track day cars are horrible things to drive around normal streets in.

Not even that, that 1960's tech would be horrible to drive on a track. They'd be for the same thing any classic car is for, and that's for driving into the countryside for a pub lunch on a couple of mild, sunny days in June. Other than that they're million pound lawn ornaments.

• Options
    man, this season has been damn near perfect.
    Damn near due to the unfortunate lack of A-Team theme.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    That was a terrific episode

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I loved the bit that it was deliberately designed to be fatal, lol.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I loved the bit that it was deliberately designed to be fatal, lol.
    Really makes one appreciate the " and with that terrible disappointment ..." catchphrase.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Loved the latest episode, ambitious but.......successful?

And I don't know how far ahead they record the tent portion, if it's about 5 days ahead of air or what, but they need to open up their tent and their hearts and let all F1 Grid Girls be the new finish line girls in every challenge or review or history segment (God that's such a dumb move by F1).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Now that the tent is no longer mobile Im hoping they get a proper studio next season.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Now that the tent is no longer mobile Im hoping they get a proper studio next season.

But then it wouldn't be on Jeremy's lawn.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The tent filming is 6 weeks before release. Or at least it was when they started the new ones.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I actually liked how the pond bug looked. Shame it's controls weren't up to par.

I was thinking about the Gibbs Quadski (the ATV/seadoo style amphibian vehicle used in the series 21 race against an alfa) during the segment, and wondering why it didn't qualify for the record, since I think it easily manages >40mph on water, and is definitely an amphibian vehicle.
    Maybe due to ATV's road legality varying depending on location? Or maybe that it's legal on some roads and not on others (like highways/dual carriageways?)
    But if the p45 could be certified road legal, why couldn't an ATV/quad bike?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I actually liked how the pond bug looked. Shame it's controls weren't up to par.

I think now that it broke a record they'll bring a version 2 back next season. Gotta kill Jeremy after all

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Launch it off an aircraft carrier.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Best sidebar commentary so far:

V2UVQWV.jpg

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I mean I know they were going for size impact, but if they wanted to go for a little more manageable Canadian dog breed they could have went with Labradors.

Also all the SUVs were plated for Ontario, but only one had a front plate. I wonder why.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Running a bit behind, so watching last week's ep now.

XJ220 and EB110. I've died and gone to heaven. I love those two cars. Always have.

Pond Bug was awesome. Suzuki jet boat was fun. Reminded me of the Hovervan a bit.

Dynamo and Penn & Teller, all great.

Brilliant episode all-round.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Surprised at their fairly positive response to the Tesla (aside from the price), but the Tesla really does display a lot of neat electronics-based features that all other characters really could have if manufacturers weren't so greedy about forcing differences between models. My model 2017 car has an electronic package that can't be any more recent than 2012 and it's still got a ton of annoying issues that have never been fixed or updated, but no way is Toyota going to spend an extra 20 bucks on a new package when they can keep shoving the same old thing out there.

And that "celebration mode" was hilariously pointless, though it was still hilarious.

If Tesla can get that Model 3 going, with maybe even cheaper models down the road, I look forward to the other manufacturers being forced to actually keep up to date on electronics and features instead of half-assing it for years at a time.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Surely it's only a matter of time before someone rips all that tech out of a Tesla and installs it in a slightly modified 1982 Trans Am. (Or rebodies a Tesla with a 1982 Trans Am. That might be easier.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    I mean I know they were going for size impact, but if they wanted to go for a little more manageable Canadian dog breed they could have went with Labradors.

Also all the SUVs were plated for Ontario, but only one had a front plate. I wonder why.

We looked up the track and it's in BC, which made sense cause it looks like they're in the general Cranbrook area.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »

We looked up the track and it's in BC, which made sense cause it looks like they're in the general Cranbrook area.

Yeah it's in Oliver. I was actually just through that area this past summer. Made me wish I had my previous car.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    I had completely forgotten paris hilton existed

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I realized she is only 6 months older than me.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    this Mozambique special, mwah

“It’s too poor to be used in India”

James has no pride anymore, he’s totally real this episode, no acting

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    James May was super salty for the later half of the episode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    James May was super salty for the later half of the episode.

He was a bit of a wet fish

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm not sure how much was played up for TV, but that was probably the most miserable I've ever seen them on one of their specials.

Both the Vietnam and source of the Nile specials are easily among my favorite episodes/TG Specials.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I was kinda dreading that there might not be a special with all of their health problems this year, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    The boys are looking kind of ragged after all these years. I can't see too many more of these in the future.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm kinda expecting that Hammond's wife draws a line in the sand sooner or later, at a minimum.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Sad to say, I really didn't think that was one of their better specials at all. I suspect they thought so too; it's even the shortest episode of the season.

It's a shame, because they've so often been at their absolute best in some remote corner of the world with ropey old vehicles and a lengthy trip to do in them.

• Options
    I suspect they'll remain hosts and do s all movies but Im pretty sure they'll bring on younger guys for remotes in the next few years

• Options
    I kinda wish that they had a more reasonable special for their first motorcycle

• Options
    Why are there two fewer episodes this series than last?

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Why are there two fewer episodes this series than last?

Probably Hammonds crash?