As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LGBTQIAU]: Bigger than bigots. Everyone in this thread is gorgeous and amazing FYI

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    How to take better selfies: The three second timer.

You're welcome.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Good morning, QUILTBAGs!

How is everyone doing today?

Me, I just finished the script for chapter 4 of my Wizard Village dub.

Now I gotta copy and paste the lines of each character into separate scripts that I need to send out to the rest of the cast.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the tip @Nullzone :+1:

Now I need to work on the other element of taking better selfies: being better looking :lol: .... :sad:

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    incorrect

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Good morning, QUILTBAGs!

Now I gotta copy and paste the lines of each character into separate scripts that I need to send out to the rest of the cast.

My brain can't stop reading Wizage Dullard. What is wrong with me?

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Good morning, QUILTBAGs!

I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and saw a lady, so that was nice. Had a second interview at the pet store that went pretty well, and I'm currently panicking that I'm misinterpreting my opera date with my crush this weekend and that it isn't a date and oh nooo.

Edit: oh and I made spicy chicken soup that I'm heating up now to eat.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Good morning, QUILTBAGs!

I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and saw a lady, so that was nice. Had a second interview at the pet store that went pretty well, and I'm currently panicking that I'm misinterpreting my opera date with my crush this weekend and that it isn't a date and oh nooo.

Well, I'd say regardless of how things end up going, it's a date either way. Hopefully it leads to romanticky things but even if not, you're spending a night at the opera with a cool person and that's awesome.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Oh yeah there's no way for me to lose on this one, I dig the opera and she's very cool.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Hey do you guys remember that blog post from a gay Mormon who was happily married to a woman and had a family and said it was the right thing to do?

http://joshweed.com/2018/01/turning-unicorn-bat-post-announce-end-marriage/
    He is getting divorced and wrote a really good post about everything including an apology to the lgbtq community.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I slept on my ear and it was angry this morning! Punched myself in the boob brushing my teeth last night and have been like SUPER SAD today and don't have a full grasp on why. Like I've gotten a handle on some of it but not the rest. I've wanted to go find a room to hide in and just sort of cry until I can clock out from work.

Hope y'all are doing well!

Lookit my dress

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Once upon a time I did buy a diamond engagement ring at a regular old jewelry store, but it was a fake-ass move in a fake-ass part of my life, and I never went through with deploying it.

I actually ran into that particular ex on Saturday at a funeral for a mutual friend (lung cancer, never smoked a single cigarette, fuck the industrial lobbyists who keep our state from doing something about our wretched air quality). Every other time I've run into her in the years since we split up, it's left me feeling pretty fucked up inside pretty much indefinitely, until some other trauma came along to distract me. But this time it just left me feeling fucked up for the rest of the afternoon, and then I had a 'family size' lasagna for dinner by myself and felt fine. So... healing? Growth? Something like that. Or maybe I was just insulated from those bad feels by the funeral bad feels. If I was actually the person my parents and old church leaders always thought I was, she and I would be married now with a house full of kids, and it would probably actually be great. But I can't spend the rest of my life being envious of the Me from that timeline. Because there is no Me from that timeline. Every iteration of Me throughout all conceivable realities is also queer, I'm 99% sure, some of them just stopped lying about it earlier on and got their lives together, and some of them probably never stopped lying about it until the dishonesty hollowed them out completely and they just fell apart.

Anyway. The only time since then that I was intrigued by the prospect of a diamond ring was when I heard about that service that takes people's cremated ashes and forges the carbon into a new diamond. And I thought "I'll bet if I robbed Mary Shelley's grave, she'd be cool with it." And I knew that whoever I could marry would at least be willing to entertain this notion, before making me return the shovel to the hardware store.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mrs Rhesus' engagement ring is moissanite, and it's super sparkly

On the holiday where I proposed she was using it against the sun to make my face all twinkly

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Been wedged between a incredible rage about the state of the world and executive processing dysfunction for a whole week, now

which means I'm grumpy, and can't push myself into doing anything about it

autistic trans woman are a trope
    Once upon a time I did buy a diamond engagement ring at a regular old jewelry store, but it was a fake-ass move in a fake-ass part of my life, and I never went through with deploying it.

I actually ran into that particular ex on Saturday at a funeral for a mutual friend (lung cancer, never smoked a single cigarette, fuck the industrial lobbyists who keep our state from doing something about our wretched air quality). Every other time I've run into her in the years since we split up, it's left me feeling pretty fucked up inside pretty much indefinitely, until some other trauma came along to distract me. But this time it just left me feeling fucked up for the rest of the afternoon, and then I had a 'family size' lasagna for dinner by myself and felt fine. So... healing? Growth? Something like that. Or maybe I was just insulated from those bad feels by the funeral bad feels. If I was actually the person my parents and old church leaders always thought I was, she and I would be married now with a house full of kids, and it would probably actually be great. But I can't spend the rest of my life being envious of the Me from that timeline. Because there is no Me from that timeline. Every iteration of Me throughout all conceivable realities is also queer, I'm 99% sure, some of them just stopped lying about it earlier on and got their lives together, and some of them probably never stopped lying about it until the dishonesty hollowed them out completely and they just fell apart.

Anyway. The only time since then that I was intrigued by the prospect of a diamond ring was when I heard about that service that takes people's cremated ashes and forges the carbon into a new diamond. And I thought "I'll bet if I robbed Mary Shelley's grave, she'd be cool with it." And I knew that whoever I could marry would at least be willing to entertain this notion, before making me return the shovel to the hardware store.

if it's worth anything, I think you're pretty dang cool

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options

In finest Addams Family spirit, darling, I'd be right there next to you with a shovel - that service sounds...really cool actually! And yeah, Mary Shelley's ghost would totally be there giving the old thumbs-up *nod*

*slithers back into the darkness*

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Hey do you guys remember that blog post from a gay Mormon who was happily married to a woman and had a family and said it was the right thing to do?

http://joshweed.com/2018/01/turning-unicorn-bat-post-announce-end-marriage/
    He is getting divorced and wrote a really good post about everything including an apology to the lgbtq community.

The apology at the end started to make me mad because I don't think he realizes that his original post may have contributed to Mormon LBGTQ suicides.

But then I realized that he was a victim himself, so I'll just be mad at the LDS Church. Thankfully it's both losing members and failing to convert new ones.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    one of the big reasons I left Mormonism was because it went out of its way to be shitty to 'the gays'

you can't talk about being like jesus and loving everyone, and then turn around and start harassing queer folk

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Oops...wrong thread

mori1972 on
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    one of the big reasons I left Mormonism was because it went out of its way to be shitty to 'the gays'

you can't talk about being like jesus and loving everyone, and then turn around and start harassing queer folk

Yeah. I left Sydney Anglicanism cos of the misogyny and overall homophobia and transphobia. It’s decidedly not great.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Also re: corpse diamonds... you're telling me that after I destroy my enemies I can turn them into jewelry? Score! Way more personal and practical than mounting their heads on my wall. I mean that's just creepy.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Also re: corpse diamonds... you're telling me that after I destroy my enemies I can turn them into jewelry? Score! Way more personal and practical than mounting their heads on my wall. I mean that's just creepy.

This has always been the best part of the Elder Scrolls games.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

I just think of rich wealthy black widows saying “I had him wrapped around my little finger!” and there being this big fat sparkly rock made of the poor dudes remains.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So... Periods are stupid. Spending the day wanting to ugly cry at work is not overly fun.

Comes with the territory I guess?
    I need to try and remember the date... Maybe the end of February? But I'm coming up on a year of my whole figuring out I'm trans realization and the day my wife went from being the best to still being the best but with more communication and like some bedazzling on the title

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Today's good thing: I think I've kind of figured out my new signature, and I prefer it to my old one.

Today's bad thing: Wondering "Am I trans, or am I just a misogynist?"

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've never seen a coherent link between being trans and being misogynist.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Today's good thing: I think I've kind of figured out my new signature, and I prefer it to my old one.

yeahhhhhh

yeah

yeah

ummmm

this is common to everyone I know who is afab but would sort of rather not be to whatever extent
    It is *really* hard to separate out internalized misogyny from everything else
    In college I used to have the very strong unspoken thought that
    if I went on hormonal birth control and had more estrogen, I would become bad at math which HOLY SHIT is like the most unforgivably bullshit misogynist thought for someone who has spent their whole life going rah rah rah women in science and tech. I'm not sure I don't still irrationally have that thought--but I can now see it as more symbolic, like, ok, it's all a metaphor for how if I were forced to be more feminine, I wouldn't be myself
    I also have to be extremely careful not to engage in, basically, a sort of humorous performative misogyny for the purposes of establishing my identity. It's challenging.
    And yeah it's just really hard to tell, do I not want to be a woman because I'm trans, or because being a woman sucks in general, or because society wants all women to hate themselves and for everyone in general to hate women?
    I haven't found resolution to this but I have stepped back and critically examined myself and seen that no, I have many female friends who I adore and respect, also am a feminist; I think I am not secretly a misogynist but do need to be careful about a certain amount of posturing that I sometimes do that makes it sound like I am.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

I say your track record in this thread points to the big flashing TRANS sign

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

credeiki nailed it pretty well.

Basically it's tail-chasing over "do I just want to be a man because I see women as inferior; if I don't think women are inferior then why do I want to be a man?"

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I've had to deal with somewhat similar types of thoughts from the other direction, IE:"Do you just want to be a woman because you don't want to deal with any of the behavior patterns and privileges of being male? Are you just abdicating some kind of responsibility and turning towards something you've over idealized in your head?"

That held me back for a pretty long time, and it's really hard to work through that sort of thing when there really isn't any way to separate exactly how you feel from what society has trained into you

But between recognizing that it just makes me feel better to think of myself as a girl and letting myself approach a lot of my body image and self-esteem issues as being a result of dysphoria, at a certain point i just have to accept that whatever the reason for this is i'm not going to be happy if i force myself to be the best version of the way people THINK i am instead of what i want to be

Anyway feel free to ignore all of that if it doesn't resonate, but inasmuch as you don't let the way you want to be hurt anyone else i think it's a pretty good idea to just go for what makes you feel good about yourself

• Options

Basically it's tail-chasing over "do I just want to be a man because I see women as inferior; if I don't think women are inferior then why do I want to be a man?"

thinking about this more:
    1. being trans and being a misogynist aren't mutually exclusive (I doubt you're a misogynist though)
    2. hating the fact that you're perceived as a woman/are a woman/have a female body/however you conceive of that is not the same thing as hating women
    3. recognizing that it sucks to be a woman in modern society and that many people around you consciously or subconsciously believe that women are inferior, and literally everything in society is structured to reflect this belief, is not the same as believing it yourself
    4. being excited to take advantage of male privilege is not the same as being a misogynist; just remember to do things like credit your female colleagues and be careful about indulging in typically chauvinist behaviors that might read one way now but will not come off well once people consistently perceive you as male (eek)

this weekend on my trip to philly I was carrying a Margaret Atwood book* and an Ursula K Leguin book so my feminism credentials should be undamaged and therefore I can speak authoritatively on this matter
    except then when I got there I told my husband something to the effect of 'hey I've got a Leguin book and an Atwood book on my person and I'm wearing a sweet leather jacket so pretty much I should be drowning in pussy, yeah' and he gave me a disappointed look but did fundamentally agree

*...should I be reading, at this very point in my life, a book about a woman who got a partial mastectomy and then her relationship crumbled? ... ... ... ... ... ...

• Options
    edited February 2018

alt-post:
    "do I just want to be a man because I see women as inferior; if I don't think women are inferior then why do I want to be a man?"

because you get to have a beard, obviously

interview over

credeiki on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Here I was thinking you wanted to be a man because you are one? Something doesn't have to be 'better' for you to feel it to be true. If you're a man, you're a man. No ifs ands or buts, you're a dude. Doesn't mean you think it's 'worse' to be a girl. It's just who you are.

• Options
    edited February 2018

Here I was thinking you wanted to be a man because you are one? Something doesn't have to be 'better' for you to feel it to be true. If you're a man, you're a man. No ifs ands or buts, you're a dude. Doesn't mean you think it's 'worse' to be a girl. It's just who you are.

(ok I need to stop procrastinating on my work by posting continuously but that's not gonna happen so)

Not everyone conceives of this shit that way and it's not mandatory to do so, and also in a way not helpful, when the issue is feeling confusion and uncertainty

For myself I'd probably say that I am technically a woman (well. hm. actually, writing that down, that statement doesn't seem quite correct. idk. maybe that's not what I would say after all. I think I'd probably say that I am technically female but don't feel that internally at all. The point is more that I wouldn't just outright state that I'm male.) but I'm working on fixing that problem. That's obviously not a universal feeling but just saying that the process doesn't necessarily start with the deep conviction that you *are* something; instead it can be that you *want to be* or *should be* something but are not.

credeiki on
  • Options
    I was feeling like shit so I dressed up, went to the mall, and did some shopping. Retail therapy is real and dangerous. These leggings make my butt look insanely good though. And I bought ladies underwear! So that will be very nice.

• Options
    I'm looking forward to a day where I don't loathe the sound of my own voice

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular

I know this exact feeling
    I dont have any good advice
    But i struggle with this constantly too
    Do i hate being called a lady or being associated with girly stuff because that stuff is seen as weak?
    And i got nothin
    During the metoo movement i also started to have a bit of a nervous breakdown because like, how much of my identity is possibly built on wanting to be as unattractive to men as possible and therefore not a target

Blargh
    Still have no idea, i guess it doesnt really matter as long as i am happy with who i am and how i am living my life right now

• Options
    *finally registers thread title* No, u.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's always been a tough thing for me not because I see girls or girly things as weak, but because I tend to see them as obnoxious. Like, I'm sure they're great and all but spending time around them? Ugh. That's before you even get into the fact that I hate this body with a passion and and the plethora of issues I have surrounding it.

I am just starting to pull out of that, but it's hard and it's still there. I never wanted to play the way girls seemed to want to play, or think about things in the same way. I always felt like I just didn't get them. I still feel like I'm on the outside looking in, and I hate gender grouping because I don't feel like I really belong anywhere. I do not feel like I am really female, but I also feel like if I could pull it off I would present incredibly femme.

Right now I feel more or less like I don't have the time or energy or money to have my body look the way I feel it should, so kind of meh to the whole thing. I need more energy.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    its possible to be trans and a misogynist. im not saying that applies to you but like people got a lot of patterns they follow, or personal faults. people can be in relative terms "good" people but have shit they have to unlearn or positions they have that will still be there. lotta gay dudes that sorta do the Roy Cohn thing. trans women that claim to be uhhh, mens rights activists. history shows us that if people are involved somehow, shit can get incredibly stupid

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Social conditioning is friggin strong.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    So I don't know where I picked up the whole "hey she is being nice to you. It means she wants to BONE" line of dumbassed thinking but breaking myself of that has been a long long ongoing issue. I have very little clue what counts as flirting and what is just idle chat and now that ladies seem to open up to me more it takes me a while to wrap my brain around stuff.

I now just assume nobody is flirting , so it saves me from being weird and making stuff weird. So yeah. If you are ever trying to flirt with me I am likely clueless unless directly told.

Brains are dumb. Social conditioning is dumb

Also bodies are dumb. I accidentally bought a Mike's hard margarita and consumed it and IMMEDIATELY fell asleep for like an hour so that was fun.

Oh lovely, this made top of the page. A+.

Erin The Red on
This discussion has been closed.