As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stand Up Comedy Thread

• Options
    ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    I really dug Judah Friedlander’s new special.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kumail Nanjiani's stand up is hilarious.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I hate kumail nanjiani's character in Silicon Valley so much that it makes him hard for me to appreciate him in other venues

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I've never watched Silicon Valley so I can't compare.

• Options
    he's just a really well-written cowardly asshole who thinks he's a good person, so you start off liking him or at least thinking he's the best of his dirtbag friends but then it turns out that no, he sucks

• Options
    I can say his description of the game Heavy Rain had me rolling.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    he's just a really well-written cowardly asshole who thinks he's a good person, so you start off liking him or at least thinking he's the best of his dirtbag friends but then it turns out that no, he sucks

God he is such an entertaining asshole to watch.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    also The Big Sick is a very good movie

• Options
    Ok... Fuck... Pete Holmes at the Enrique Iglesias concert is fucking killing me.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying Gary Gulman

But he did use the word rape right in the beginning of one of his specials. It was a situation where he could have used a lot of other words too.

it's pretty unfortunate that you can go back to an album/special that's not very old and run headlong into casual rape jokes and trans-slurs getting thrown around. I was just listening to a Beth Stelling album from 2012 and it happened. I mean, I'm glad that the industry has for the most part decided not to do it anymore, but it can definitely put a damper on an otherwise funny album and make me not want to recommend it to people.

It's the same way that there are some parts of Eddie Murphy's Raw that are genius, but they're absolutely buried in misogyny and gay jokes.

• Options
    I don't know if I can listen to Pete Holmes at work anymore.

I can't keep myself from laughing

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

The bit from his 2nd album about dropping a dog made me cry I laughed so hard.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Gary Gulman is someone who rubs me the wrong way with his standup and has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen.

And Bill Burr sucks.

Other than that, I've enjoyed nearly all of the standups mentioned here.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

God he is such an entertaining asshole to watch.

pretty much everyone in that cast is an asshole (except Jared, who is a cinnamon roll), and they're all varying degrees of entertaining

here they are ranked from most to least:

Gilfoyle
    Dinesh
    Richard
    Gavin
    Erlich

• Options

The bit from his 2nd album about dropping a dog made me cry I laughed so hard.

I just listened to this and I'm weeping.

I had to take a break halfway through to avoid snorting at work.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I like Michelle Wolf. There's not a huge amount of her stand up stuff around, so here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4W4TiWV3cU

• Options
    I saw John Mulaney last night!

his new act is good, probably better than New in Town but not better than The Comeback Kid

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Michelle Wolf's new special is one of the best pieces of standup that I've ever seen

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    More evidence of how awesome Michelle Wolf is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMsz09yq6N4

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Louis C.K was my favorite but after what he had admitted to I can't back that horse. Lots of new names I am going to be checking out. I usually listen to standup while I clean and it really helps take the boredom out. Jim Jeffries probably takes my top spot, although I guess I should have a backup in case something comes out about him as well. I still need to check out those two new Chapelle specials as well.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Louis C.K was my favorite but after what he had admitted to I can't back that horse. Lots of new names I am going to be checking out. I usually listen to standup while I clean and it really helps take the boredom out. Jim Jeffries probably takes my top spot, although I guess I should have a backup in case something comes out about him as well. I still need to check out those two new Chapelle specials as well.

You mean homophobic, transphobic Dave Chapelle? Or is there another one?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    yo okay i never thought i'd love a howie mandel anything but this story is fucking fire

https://youtu.be/Ax_Q349Y6UE

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

I would advise against checking out the Chapelle specials if you want to continue to hold a high opinion of him.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I would advise against checking out the Chapelle specials if you want to continue to hold a high opinion of him.

even if i put aside the problematic aspects it also seemed not very funny to me

i think maybe chapelle has stopped aiming primarily for a laugh and started aiming primarily at a message and maybe that is fair given the length of his career and how his life is gone but his message is garbo recently and even were it not i think i'm not interested in that sort of comedy these days

sig.gif
  • Options
    He's wildly overconfident, intellectually flabby and increasingly irrelevant.

• Options
    Yeah his writing has gotten really lazy (I mean besides the shitty sexist and transphobic stuff).

Half his jokes are just re-worded gags from his old specials, told in a slightly different tone.

• Options
    If you cut all the transphobic stuff out of them they'd still be bad. I watched all three because part of me simply couldn't believe that he'd fallen so far.

• Options
    If you cut all the transphobic stuff out of them they'd still be bad. I watched all three because part of me simply couldn't believe that he'd fallen so far.

There are four. And he got paid USD$20 million for each of them.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    You know, I'd do a lot for $20 million. I just might do it four times, too.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPhRKh-PRs

I love Chris rock and definitely will watch this but fuck you for making this teaser trailer, netflix.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u6P1QRqFeww

I remember when Amazing Johnathan was mainstream for a minute

that was a thing

• Options
    Xehalus wrote: »

that was a thing

I loved him

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Oh, the seinfeld special from 1998 that just went up on netflix is fucking hilarious btw

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I saw The Amazing Jonathan live in Vegas.

It was amazing.

I bought a shirt from him that he signed, that just said FUCK YEAH and like nothing else. I think it had his name on the back, but it was much smaller than FUCK YEAH

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

that was a thing

I loved him

He was one of the few comedy magicians who was a genuinely really funny stand up comic, who also used magic as a gimmick.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I really love the Amazing Jonathan. Huge bummer to recently find out he's sick and apparently doesn't have much time left.

A comedian I have always had a soft spot, even if he's not a master of his craft or anything is George Lopez. His stuff is super relatable to me. Maybe cause there aren't many other Hispanic mainstream comedians?

• Options
    uh hello what about carlos mencia

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I really love the Amazing Jonathan. Huge bummer to recently find out he's sick and apparently doesn't have much time left.

A comedian I have always had a soft spot, even if he's not a master of his craft or anything is George Lopez. His stuff is super relatable to me. Maybe cause there aren't many other Hispanic mainstream comedians?

Gabriel Iglesias?

• Options
    Also depending on to what extent you consider Filipinos Hispanic (it's a gigantic argument, I know), Jo Koy is pretty good.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    uh hello what about carlos mencia

Mods?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508