As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Okay, here we go: 12:45pm Pacific, 3:45pm Eastern, 2045 UTC. It's then or tomorrow at this point, but for now the clock is progressing, and we are

T-~2 hours to launch :biggrin:

• Options
    Launch auto-sequence initiated! 12:45pm Pacific, 3:45pm Eastern, 2045 UTC is the official T=0, no constraints (i.e. winds are calm) at the moment, will continued to be monitored as the countdown progresses!

Here we maybe go! :D

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Launch auto-sequence initiated! 12:45pm Pacific, 3:45pm Eastern, 2045 UTC is the official T=0, no constraints (i.e. winds are calm) at the moment, will continued to be monitored as the countdown progresses!

Here we maybe go! :D

SCIENCEEEEEEEEEEE

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Is the only payload his car / are these boosters intended to land like the others?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    All three first stage boosters are planned to land, yes. Dunno if there's another payload besides the car but I doubt it.

• Options
    Is the only payload his car / are these boosters intended to land like the others?

Only payload is the car (with some extra cameras on it for fun), purely a "mock" payload, though. No scientific value, etc. Just testing the launch vehicle.

Side boosters will return to land and set down at Landing Zone 1, the middle booster will land downrange on Of Course I Still Love You.

The second stage will finish the burn into orbit, then do an experimental "long" (6 hour) coast (to prove to the Air Force that they can do direct to geosynchronous orbit launches) before performing its final burn on its way to the final heliocentric orbit :)

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Satellites cost a lot of money. Companies are unlikely to pay to put an actual payload in an untested rocket with a relatively high probability of exploding.

Which is probably the only reason it has a Tesla in it as a joke, admittedly. Even Elon Musk isn't that rich.

Bremen on
  • Options
    Bremen wrote: »
    Satellites cost a lot of money. Companies are unlikely to pay to put an actual payload in an experimental test rocket with a relatively high probability of exploding.

Which is probably the only reason it has a Tesla in it as a joke, admittedly. Even Elon Musk isn't that rich.

Yeah, he basically said the typical mock payloads (non-descript blocks of steel or lead) were "boring", so they spiced it up just a bit with the Roadster. Probably cheaper than the solid block of metal, frankly! :P

• Options
    Launch Director verifies GO for propellant load, RP-1 (kerosene) is being loaded onto the 3 boosters at this time!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Satellites cost a lot of money. Companies are unlikely to pay to put an actual payload in an experimental test rocket with a relatively high probability of exploding.

Yeah, he basically said the typical mock payloads (non-descript blocks of steel or lead) were "boring", so they spiced it up just a bit with the Roadster. Probably cheaper than the solid block of metal, frankly! :P

Well now I want to see more creative payloads. A mesh bag full of rubber bouncy balls. Just like 5 cows. Turn the entire payload bay into a ball pit. An assortment of mannequins made out of ballistic gel.

(Also I'm half and half on wanting to see this car explode and wanting it to be in space forever)

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Well now I want to see more creative payloads. A mesh bag full of rubber bouncy balls. Just like 5 cows. Turn the entire payload bay into a ball pit. An assortment of mannequins made out of ballistic gel.

(Also I'm half and half on wanting to see this car explode and wanting it to be in space forever)

As long as the rocket clears the launchpad, I'm really down for anything happening today

A perfectly nominal launch would be great, but a fireball like a mile up would also be pretty cool :P

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Part of me is wondering if they will use that mannequin for a "free" vacuum test of the beta spacesuit, depending on how cheap a telemetry/aerial package is. Or maybe it's just dress up.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Is there a stream or something I could watch around launch time?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    this ain't live for a while yet, but should be here when it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular

I know SpaceX has done creative mock-payloads in the past. I think their first Dragon capsule to reach the ISS was carrying a giant cheese wheel?

• Options
    Thanks @Snicketysnick <3

That is indeed the official live stream, it will go live 15 - 20 minutes prior to launch. We are currently T-70 minutes, propellant loading is underway!

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

One of the Falcon 9 test payloads was a few hundred kilograms of cheese. It's not five cows, but you could spin it as a percentage of a few cows...

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I would like the launch to go perfectly and then have the car explode for seperate/unrealated reasons. Or immediately get hit by a meteor or something.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I would like the launch to go perfectly and then have the car explode for seperate/unrealated reasons. Or immediately get hit by a meteor or something.

Okay no wait THIS is the ideal outcome! :P

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love the Everyday Astronaut guy.

He's gone live with his broadcast from 3 miles away from the launch pad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoI7sFyAirY

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I love the Everyday Astronaut guy.

He's gone live with his broadcast from 3 miles away from the launch pad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoI7sFyAirY

He's great, he and Scott Manley are great at putting sometimes-complicated rocketry stuff into simple and understandable terms :)

• Options
    T - 1 hour, countdown is (finally!) progressing nominally :)

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Oh boy!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tim Dodd appears to have gotten a HELL of a good viewing site.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Next milestone will be LOX loading, which should start in ~5 minutes!

• Options
    LOX load has started, the countdown continues to progress nominally to a launch at 45 minutes past the hour! <3

• Options
    q0NITWg.png

• Options
    If this meeting screws me...

• Options

For the next ~hour you are on strike

Tell them the President called and said he needed you

The President of the United States, I mean

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

For the next ~hour you are on strike

Tell them the President called and said he needed you

The President of the United States, I mean

not

not the best example here maybe

President of Sweden would be better probably

• Options
    Just under T-30 minutes, and the livestream has started playing SpaceX Radio!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    King Carl Gustaf probably does want you to watch this

• Options
    King Carl Gustaf probably does want you to watch this

I only answer to one monarch, and she's very old and probably not aware that this is even going on today! :P

• Options
  • Options
    we have rocketsign

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Part of me is wondering if they will use that mannequin for a "free" vacuum test of the beta spacesuit, depending on how cheap a telemetry/aerial package is. Or maybe it's just dress up.

Spacesuit on the mannequin, camera in the mannequin's face, put the thing in the car, put the car in the rocket, let me watch out of the spacesuit through VR! That would potentially be amazing. Or very boring since it's the inside of the payload chamber.

• Options
    T - 15 minutes!

• Options
    There's nearly a million people watching the livestream

Dear god

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I'm sad there's not a technical webcast this time around.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    T - 10 minutes!

This discussion has been closed.