As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Baby diapers

RichyRichy Registered User regular
So here's a question for all the PA Forum parents: baby diapers. Do you go for throw-awayable or reusable?

The way I see it, here are the pros and cons:

Throw-away:
* Convenience: easier and less messy to ues.
* Ends up creating massive piles of garbage at a landfill somewhere.
* More expensive in the long-run.

Reusable:
* Need to wash poopy diapers in my washing machine.
* More environmentally friendly.
* More expensive upfront but less expensive in the long-run (especially since we're planning on having multiple kids).

But this is all in theory. I've never had a baby... But some of you posters have! So tell me about your experiences, and your opinions based on these experiences. Help me learn so we can decide what kind of diapers to use!

sig.gif

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    We ended up going disposable because we are lazy, and live in an apartment, so we would have had to use a service (couldn't wash using the communal washers)
    I tried something sort of in-between called gdiapers, which were supposed to be more environmentally friendly. Gave up because they were always leaking, and they were more expensive than most other brands of fully disposable diapers.
    One thing disposables have going for them is variety of design, so if one brand leaks or doesn't fit well, it's easy to try another.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Disposable, because we didn't want to bother with the washing (also living in an apartment, but with our own machine). We had enough chores anyway, I wouldn't have wanted to add to those.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Congrats on spawning!

So, as much as I want to, I do not have it in me to use cloth diapers myself. Many people use a service that does drop-off and retrieval, so they don't need to wash them. I don't know how green that process is, but from what I hear it is actually a bit cheaper than disposables. I didn't use one so I didn't end up looking it up. Everyone I know who's used one swears by it though.

Since I'm self-aware enough to know that there are a variety of reasons cloth diapers won't work out for me I went for the greenest disposables I could, which happened to be 7th gen. They're really good but pretty expensive, but we used them with my son and he always had great skin. We never saw a serious rash on him.

We used them through about size 3 with my daughter, but either she is awkwardly sized or they are, and no matter what we're using she gets a rash if the diaper is too close to her skin, so we had to stop using them. After a few tries we ended up using the Pampers Gentle Care hypoallergenic diapers, and we need to buy them one size up so they're very loose but the straps still hold them up. I doubt they're all that great for the environment, but she gets some pretty nasty rashes with anything else.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    My sister tried to go with cloth diapers and they leaked too much for that so she went back to disposables.

As a note, Costco has the lowest price on diapers.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    We started with cloth and... Yeah, no. Leaks meant that routinely a nightime change meant a new crib sheet and sometimes a changing pad cover, and laundry can spiralling way out of control with a newborn as it is.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    My sister tried to go with cloth diapers and they leaked too much for that so she went back to disposables.

As a note, Costco has the lowest price on diapers.

Costco running a sale is cheaper, but at standard price Amazon is usually cheaper (depends on the week, Amazon's prices fluctuate somewhat)... I may or may not have a large spreadsheet of these (twins :) )

I'm pretty left on the pro-environmentalist side, and having been through a year of twins there's no way I'd want to deal with cloth diapers. Trust me, you have to clean enough poop off enough other things

• Options
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    Trust me, you have to clean enough poop off enough other things
    He means all the things.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    We're doing disposables. Have friends that use cloth, but it requires more effort to rinse/clean then use a washer. We don't have that sort of time, but both work.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    On the landfill thing: modern diapers aren't the plastic things from the 80's. They're made of paper, and are probably better for the environment than your average trash output.

Hevach on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    We used disposable exclusively for the first two months or so, and now we use cloth diapers during the day and disposable when she sleeps at night. I use a couple different brands of "shells" that go around cloth inserts. Almost always I can take out the dirty insert and continue to use the shell for at least a couple more uses before it needs to be washed, so you don't need as many shells as inserts. I have not had bad leakage problems when she wears them during the day. I'm using hemp or bamboo inserts which are much more absorbent than the standard microfiber ones that most people buy. The microfiber actually doesn't seem that absorbent and wicks the pee away...to the side of the diaper where it leaks out.

I think the best brand I've tried is Best Bottoms, unfortunately also fairly expensive. Their shells are easy to wipe down and are double gusseted which helps prevent leaks.

The other brand I mainly use is Grovia. Make sure you are looking for shells where the insert snaps in (or you can just lay the insert in if you buy off-brand inserts without snaps, the diaper will hold it in place). There are shells where you put the cloth insert into a pocket which doesn't make much sense to me because then the shell pocket gets dirty. All of the shells have multiple levels of snaps so you can adjust the size.

We have the hose hooked to our toilet so we can spray off poop. I bought two wet bags to keep dirty diapers in until there's enough to wash, one is by the toilet, one is next to the changing table. We still have a diaper pail to put disposables in (and we needed it the first two months anyway).

I have been home with her the whole time so far which makes all of this plus doing laundry easier. I also bought a lot of inserts so I don't have wash diapers every single day.

It's up to you if you want to commit to cloth diapers, but I personally feel better about not taking out a big bag of trash every other day due to disposables. Note I do not judge anyone that uses disposables only, everyone has to do what works for them. I am lucky to have the time/resources to do this kind of diapering. Doing a hybrid approach means we make less trash but still have the more absorbent disposables to help prevent leaks at night. If the laundry aspect is overwhelming you could look into a service that launders and delivers for you.

Note you can't really use diaper cream with cloth diapers as it will interfere with the cloth absorbing liquid. Siglet has not been prone to diaper rash and I air her out at least once a day to help prevent it.

You can probably find someone selling used shells and inserts which will help with the cost. I also found a few diaper items, and the toilet sprayer, at a child's consignment store. I think there is definitely demand for used stuff so you can always sell off items after you've used them or if it doesn't work out.

It's totally fine to mix and match brands. I have some g-diapers which are velcro but I haven't used them yet since she's not big enough so I can't speak to how well they work.

Here are some links to products I'm using right now just so you can see what I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/GroVia-Hybrid-Cloth-Diaper-Shell/dp/B0061O39LQ?th=1

https://www.bestbottomdiapers.com/

hemp inserts for best bottom https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G81MR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

help prevent splatter when you spray off the diaper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1I4P1S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wet bag https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016OVG3D6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Oh PS I bought a bunch of these to put over my changing pad so if she pees or leakage gets out, these liners prevent the changing pad from getting grody

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Changing-Cover-Waterproof-Liner/dp/B009UPUESO

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    We do disposable. We also live in an apartment so, cleaning cloth diapers isn't very feasible. We usually buy on amazon, since we don't like brands costco carries as much.

We usually just put down a paper towel when using the changing pad. When our son was very young the paper towel would last a long time, since he wasn't moving a ton. Our pad covers are also waterproof, so they're pretty easy to clean.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    One thing to remember is that day-cares require you to provide them with disposable diapers. At least here they do, and I don't imagine it is much different in other places. We considered using cloth very briefly before we realized that we just couldn't justify the hassle since our kiddo was going to be using so many disposable anyways.

Really it comes down to how you feel, and what you think is best for your little one. There is a parenting thread in SE++ that can give you a ton of info on cloth diapers if you like the idea of trying them and want information from a lot of people.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Disposable all the way.

We had a Munchkin Arm & Hammer Diaper Pail and it was pretty great. Not as complicated as a Diaper Gene, but cheaper and did the same job.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    We started off with disposables because babies grow so fast that it didn't seem worth trying to get cloth diapers in all the different sizes. After that we went with cloth; the hose that So It Goes mentions is this sort of thing, which is installable with zero plumbing skills and does a great job of cleaning poo away to where poo goes with minimal contact. (wow, there was basically one option when we got ours, things are a lot easier to find nowadays)

We used flushable liners as a second layer of defense, which helps keep all the sticky stuff together when disposing of it.

And when out and about, we used disposables, because putting a used nappy in a closed laundry bin is one thing, but carrying it around with you for the rest of the day is a whole other thing..

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    we tried cloth with a service 22 years ago with our first, and...

... she refused to poop in them. Like, refused. The longest we ever tried waiting was I think 8 days and she was extremely miserable and screaming and it was terrible. Put a disposable on her, instantly regular.

So we never went back. I still have a few of those diapers around though, we used them as rags and spill-cleaners for, well, 22 years.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    grats on the offspring.

We use disposables, we order them online in bulk packages and the delivery guy has to walk up the stairs and brings them to the baby room. We are busy enough as is and need to do the laundry every other day (or daily when the kid is sick) as is, so we can't imagine doing even more on that front.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    we tried cloth with a service 22 years ago with our first, and...

... she refused to poop in them. Like, refused. The longest we ever tried waiting was I think 8 days and she was extremely miserable and screaming and it was terrible. Put a disposable on her, instantly regular.

So we never went back. I still have a few of those diapers around though, we used them as rags and spill-cleaners for, well, 22 years.

8 days is... Damn, I can't even imagine how fussy she had to be, that is some epic sphincter control and willpower for a baby.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    when you are that young 8 days is not all that long. Baby guts are weird.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    When I was doing appliance repair a couple put some dirty diapers in the washing machine. Maybe don't do that? I dunno but they were stuck with that stench for like a week until I got there and almost died while trying to fish out a diaper that had clogged their pump. Maybe use those netted bags if you go cloth and dont have the cleaning service.

We went disposable because I cannot imagine adding another task on top of everything else you have to do for early babies. We may go to cloth as he gets older but those first few months kill all your time.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    when you are that young 8 days is not all that long. Baby guts are weird.

I don't think either of my boys went more than about three days, and aside from constipation it was 6 hours on a good day. So much poop.

• Options
    I want to say my youngest record was like 10 days

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I need to dig up the article, but I read that the amount of water for reusable potentially altered the environmental argument.
    We were 100% disposable.
    Be prepared to try multiple brands. My first would get a rash from 7th Gen, but Pampers were great.
    As others have said Amazon and Costco are your friend.

Regarding pooping, one time I swear more came out than the actually total volume of the child. Some sort of soft-serve poop wormhole.

• Options
    I want to say my youngest record was like 10 days

I feel sorry for the kid, but intensely jealous of you.

• Options
    The weird thing was he wasn't super backed up. He just wasn't a kid that pooped a lot.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The 8 to 10 days without pooping thing is good to know. It's the kind of info you don't get elsewhere... I must say I would have freaked out if my baby went a week without pooping.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    The 8 to 10 days without pooping thing is good to know. It's the kind of info you don't get elsewhere... I must say I would have freaked out if my baby went a week without pooping.

You should be, it isn't normal and you will probably want to be getting advice from your doctor by that point. The kid thread in SE++ is useful for random questions like that though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    mine went 8 days

the dr. said (when I took him on the evening of the 7th day) to load him up with laxatives and if he hadn't gone by the end of the 8th to bring him back for a tube. Thankfully, he went.

kids, I swear.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, 7 days is a bit excessive. 3-4 will happen sometimes.

We went with disposables because cloth diapers are gross. FWIW, the Sierra Club says disposables aren't that bad for the environment if you rinse the poop off first. Which no one does that I've ever heard of, but it is an option apparently.

Amazon tends to have the best "everyday" price, especially if you can get the timing good enough to do Subscribe and Save. Costco has better prices on Pull-Ups once they get older, though.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Oh we did call the doctor and since his stomach wasn't hard and bulgy they weren't worried. the response was always if he hasn't gone in this many more days bring him in and he would always go with a nice healthy soft poop.

we had a lot of prunes in the cabinet.

basically unless the baby is pooping blood or has a stomach that is hard/distended it is probably strange but normal.

he was never a multi poop per day baby. wet diapers yea, but not poop. he is way more regular now but he can still go a day or 2

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    We did cloth for the 1st, for awhile. I think we held out well. But eventually did disposables. And for the second it was nearly all disposable.

We tried the cheap option, which is basically a tea towel with a clip. Leakage is an issue as there is no elasticity anywhere. The service provided the diapers as well as cleaning service.

That lasted 1 day. Then we got the more engineered solution. They had snaps and inserts and were adjustable and were much easier to change. They were also $30-35 a pop at the time. We bought a dozen. And we were washing diapers every day for 2 years. I don't know if they've gotten cheaper (we got the best ones at the time).

When he/she is a newborn just get the newborn disposables; I suggest stealing as many as possible from the hospital after delivery. The ones we got had a moisture strip so you knew if they had gone without opening (you can get those at the store as well). They will grow out of newborn cloth diapers in 2 months.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Djeet wrote: »
    We did cloth for the 1st, for awhile. I think we held out well. But eventually did disposables. And for the second it was nearly all disposable.

We tried the cheap option, which is basically a tea towel with a clip. Leakage is an issue as there is no elasticity anywhere. The service provided the diapers as well as cleaning service.

That lasted 1 day. Then we got the more engineered solution. They had snaps and inserts and were adjustable and were much easier to change. They were also $30-35 a pop at the time. We bought a dozen. And we were washing diapers every day for 2 years. I don't know if they've gotten cheaper (we got the best ones at the time).

When he/she is a newborn just get the newborn disposables; I suggest stealing as many as possible from the hospital after delivery. The ones we got had a moisture strip so you knew if they had gone without opening (you can get those at the store as well). They will grow out of newborn cloth diapers in 2 months.

Unless your baby is tiny I wouldn't buy a ton of newborn size. the minimum weight for size 1 is 8lbs and in my experience you want to be in the bottom of the range longer to avoid wet outs.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »

Unless your baby is tiny I wouldn't buy a ton of newborn size. the minimum weight for size 1 is 8lbs and in my experience you want to be in the bottom of the range longer to avoid wet outs.

We stole enough newborn diapers from the hospital room each time that both kids grew into size 1s before we ran out.
    Go up a size before you think you need to for night diapers. Turns out wetness was the limiting factor for sleeping longer for both our kids.
    Moisture sensing strips are pretty helpful.

We use Target disposable diapers pretty often. Between sales and coupons they're one of the cheapest, and actually pretty nice. (Supposedly they're from the same factory as one of the fancier brands?)

• Options
    Yea i really like the target brand also.
    We normally get pampers through Amazon but if we run out before shipment we get the target brand. I liked them much more than Kirkland

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Oh it was upsetting. Exclusively breastfeed infants poop less though, just in general.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    We just do disposables. It's so much easier.

Keep an eye out for good deals. You can buy diapers far in advance when the prices get low as long as you have some random closet or such to stick them in, and they occasionally go on pretty nice sales.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Apparently I'm majorly swimming upstream but cloth diapers are great. So It Goes already outlined the major points, so I'll highlight that:

A. cloth diapers are way, way cheaper in the long run, like startlingly alarmingly cheaper. Even more so if you have multiple kids and can reuse the same ones the whole way through (which we did).

B. You never run out of diapers at an inopportune time, if you're staying on top of the laundry, and you're doing so much fucking laundry anyway with a baby that you'll probably be on top of it.

Also, some day cares will deal with cloth. We had one that did, we sent the clean diapers in every day and they sent a wet bag home every night and it was totally cool. We didn't have a problem with leaking once we'd sorted the inserts out; you really really need to pay attention to washing instructions so that they don't lose their absorbency and when the kids were older we had to double up the inserts to avoid pee overload.

I was skeptical when my wife suggested it but I was sold in a very short time and we used them for both of our kids (now 7 and 5 respectively).

Edit: Kelly's Closet has a lot of good, basic information if you're at all interested in cloth. Double check their recommendations for what to buy with people you know (or the excellent parent thread in SE++) because they do sell the things and they are a tiny bit biased because of that but the other information is totally sound.

Peen on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    We'll be trying cloth diapers shortly, once our baby is born and reaches 12 pounds-ish. Our day care also (supposedly) accepts cloth diapers. I'd have liked to try the shells with removable inserts as mentioned above, but the ones we were gifted for free are Chelory brand all-in-ones which have two sown in liners which are supposedly pretty absorbant. I'm willing to believe that the ones with removable inserts do take a little more time, as you have to separate them and stuff them back in, but will dry more easily.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    We used disposable exclusively for the first two months or so, and now we use cloth diapers during the day and disposable when she sleeps at night. I use a couple different brands of "shells" that go around cloth inserts. Almost always I can take out the dirty insert and continue to use the shell for at least a couple more uses before it needs to be washed, so you don't need as many shells as inserts. I have not had bad leakage problems when she wears them during the day. I'm using hemp or bamboo inserts which are much more absorbent than the standard microfiber ones that most people buy. The microfiber actually doesn't seem that absorbent and wicks the pee away...to the side of the diaper where it leaks out.

I think the best brand I've tried is Best Bottoms, unfortunately also fairly expensive. Their shells are easy to wipe down and are double gusseted which helps prevent leaks.

The other brand I mainly use is Grovia. Make sure you are looking for shells where the insert snaps in (or you can just lay the insert in if you buy off-brand inserts without snaps, the diaper will hold it in place). There are shells where you put the cloth insert into a pocket which doesn't make much sense to me because then the shell pocket gets dirty. All of the shells have multiple levels of snaps so you can adjust the size.

We have the hose hooked to our toilet so we can spray off poop. I bought two wet bags to keep dirty diapers in until there's enough to wash, one is by the toilet, one is next to the changing table. We still have a diaper pail to put disposables in (and we needed it the first two months anyway).

I have been home with her the whole time so far which makes all of this plus doing laundry easier. I also bought a lot of inserts so I don't have wash diapers every single day.

It's up to you if you want to commit to cloth diapers, but I personally feel better about not taking out a big bag of trash every other day due to disposables. Note I do not judge anyone that uses disposables only, everyone has to do what works for them. I am lucky to have the time/resources to do this kind of diapering. Doing a hybrid approach means we make less trash but still have the more absorbent disposables to help prevent leaks at night. If the laundry aspect is overwhelming you could look into a service that launders and delivers for you.

Note you can't really use diaper cream with cloth diapers as it will interfere with the cloth absorbing liquid. Siglet has not been prone to diaper rash and I air her out at least once a day to help prevent it.

You can probably find someone selling used shells and inserts which will help with the cost. I also found a few diaper items, and the toilet sprayer, at a child's consignment store. I think there is definitely demand for used stuff so you can always sell off items after you've used them or if it doesn't work out.

It's totally fine to mix and match brands. I have some g-diapers which are velcro but I haven't used them yet since she's not big enough so I can't speak to how well they work.

Here are some links to products I'm using right now just so you can see what I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/GroVia-Hybrid-Cloth-Diaper-Shell/dp/B0061O39LQ?th=1

https://www.bestbottomdiapers.com/

hemp inserts for best bottom https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G81MR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

help prevent splatter when you spray off the diaper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1I4P1S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wet bag https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016OVG3D6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I really wanted to try them, and researched the shit (ha!) out them, but when it came down to it, ArbitraryMom wasn't fully onboard*. So I am glad to hear it worked out for you! Those shells seemed like a neat idea, and I really wanted to see if the general advances in smell control and diaper design would provide a better experience than what our parents went through.

*(By which I mean poop hits her gag reflex like a mack truck, she had already spent 30 weeks puking her guts out, and didn't want to revisit those halcyon days anytime I fell behind on laundry. So, fairly constantly.)

• Options
    things change once the baby comes out in terms of gag etc.

camo_sig.png