As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Camaraderie

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Camaraderie

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    To be fair to the rager, one should not queue up for competitive until *after* one is familiar with basic things like how to quickly go about muting raging assholes.

• Options
    Dodo SandvichDodo Sandvich Registered User regular
    Gabe and the rager has the same couch. Is it a fascinating subtle commentary of how deep down we are all on the same boat, or was the artist just lazy?

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Gabe and the rager has the same couch. Is it a fascinating subtle commentary of how deep down we are all on the same boat, or was the artist just lazy?

The voice chat is coming from inside the house!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    To be fair to the rager, one should not queue up for competitive until *after* one is familiar with basic things like how to quickly go about muting raging assholes.

If the rager is at an elo/ranking where he is getting matched with those folks he isn't playing any better than that person he's raging at.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

If the rager is at an elo/ranking where he is getting matched with those folks he isn't playing any better than that person he's raging at.

Feigning ignorance is how people troll others in video games like that too. It makes them rage harder.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I sympathize with Gabe on this one. Need to remove the human element from online multiplayer gaming.

• Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    95% of why I refuse to use a Mic / Headset when playing games is this right here. I don't play hardcore competitive tho, not anymore.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Feigning ignorance is how people troll others in video games like that too. It makes them rage harder.

Not gonna lie, there is a very real enjoyment that comes from continuing a conversation with a rager but doing so as if they are not raging at all. Hit them with unwarranted kindness. Continuing to ask them friendly questions. Oh boy does that really get them going.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I love the Gabe/Mercy hybrid in the 3rd panel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    As a Mei main, I appreciate the frozen Hanzo with an icicle in his brain.

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    It would be easier to sympathize with Gabriel if you knew if the guy was shouting before Gabriel started slacking off. This way the joke may just as well be about comedic sociopathy on Gabes part.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Johnny17 wrote: »
    It would be easier to sympathize with Gabriel if you knew if the guy was shouting before Gabriel started slacking off. This way the joke may just as well be about comedic sociopathy on Gabes part.

Either way, it’s funny

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The best part is how Gabe!Mercy could resurrect Jerk!Hanzo by pushing one button, but he's more concerned with getting specifics on muting him

Or maybe it's that the asshole raging at his teammates over a video game is, of course, a Hanzo main

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

if there is one thing that gamers are collectively fucking amazing at doing, it's thoroughly being unable to accurately evaluate their own skill level, and will go to great pains to find any possible reason to ignore or explain away things that confront them with their actual ability

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    That is actually just a human thing, Dunning Kruger effect is the name.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    Gabe with a halo and boobs will HAUNT me.

• Options
    edited February 2018

Not really pertinent to the point I was making, but OK, yes, if your team mates are complete scrubs then there is a pretty good chance that ones self is is also scrub.

Here, I'll needlessly or not bloviate about the point I was actually making: You don't have to be a digital Rambo to queue up for srs bsns modes like comp, (you'll soon get matched with people near your mechanical skill level) but one should have a grasp of basic things like how to quickly go about muting the inevitable assholes that will exist at whatever skill level one does gravitate towards. Or how to select a character, use abilities, primary fire, secondary fire (if applicable), movement, know where the objective is, know what the objective is, etc. Queuing into the most serious mode (outside of OWL pro-gaming I guess) in the game without that knowledge is just gonna trigger people pointlessly, and there are better modes to be gaining that knowledge in. Like training or quickplay.

Unless of course, one were utilizing a pretense of ignorance to troll said assholes even further. It's not very constructive, but it is amusing. But lets not pretend it is anything other than just trolling.

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I feel like there was a moment lost with the title here.
    It should have been:
    Karmaraderie

discrider on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The best part is how Gabe!Mercy could resurrect Jerk!Hanzo by pushing one button, but he's more concerned with getting specifics on muting him

Or maybe it's that the asshole raging at his teammates over a video game is, of course, a Hanzo main

Also, he managed to die in the spawn room.

• Options

Not really pertinent to the point I was making, but OK, yes, if your team mates are complete scrubs then there is a pretty good chance that ones self is is also scrub.

Here, I'll needlessly or not bloviate about the point I was actually making: You don't have to be a digital Rambo to queue up for srs bsns modes like comp, (you'll soon get matched with people near your mechanical skill level) but one should have a grasp of basic things like how to quickly go about muting the inevitable assholes that will exist at whatever skill level one does gravitate towards. Or how to select a character, use abilities, primary fire, secondary fire (if applicable), movement, know where the objective is, know what the objective is, etc. Queuing into the most serious mode (outside of OWL pro-gaming I guess) in the game without that knowledge is just gonna trigger people pointlessly, and there are better modes to be gaining that knowledge in. Like training or quickplay.

Unless of course, one were utilizing a pretense of ignorance to troll said assholes even further. It's not very constructive, but it is amusing. But lets not pretend it is anything other than just trolling.

I was just responding to the "to be fair to the rager" because no, there is no reason to be fair to the rager.

Even if that person doesn't know the basics, that rager is just as bad at playing the game as the person who doesn't know the basics(despite actually knowing the basics themselves, presumably). So that rager is getting mad at someone else for being just as bad as they are. So yea. No reason to be fair to that person. If they focused on themselves they would move up the ranks and not be playing with people who are still learning.

That's why one of my favorite responses is "I know I'm bad at this game. That's why we're all playing at this rank."

• Options
    The reason to be fair to the rager is to practice enough self reflection in order to better understand one's own contribution to the current dynamic. Very few online interactions/conflicts are 100% one parties fault alone.

Especially since my point has, once again, nothing to do with mechanical skill of either party at playing the game. There is a fine but utterly important difference between mechanical skill and knowledge of basic game functions and utilizing them effectively and appropriately. Awesome mlgxx420xxnoscopexxfps skillz is meaningless if one does not bother to play the match objective. Also, given that one has to be level 25 last I checked to even queue for competitive, one should have a grasp of basic game functions before even setting foot in that mode, thus obviating any actual need to learn them on the fly in *competitive mode*. (Not like there is a lack of of raging assholes at all skill tiers to block in quickplay after all.)

Plus, this strip interaction takes place in Competitive mode, not "waste your team mates time who are relying on you- for the lulz" mode. Granted, raging about someone doing so is hardly constructive - but neither is trolling in response.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The reason to be fair to the rager is to practice enough self reflection in order to better understand one's own contribution to the current dynamic. Very few online interactions/conflicts are 100% one parties fault alone.

Especially since my point has, once again, nothing to do with mechanical skill of either party at playing the game. There is a fine but utterly important difference between mechanical skill and knowledge of basic game functions and utilizing them effectively and appropriately. Awesome mlgxx420xxnoscopexxfps skillz is meaningless if one does not bother to play the match objective. Also, given that one has to be level 25 last I checked to even queue for competitive, one should have a grasp of basic game functions before even setting foot in that mode, thus obviating any actual need to learn them on the fly in *competitive mode*. (Not like there is a lack of of raging assholes at all skill tiers to block in quickplay after all.)

Plus, this strip interaction takes place in Competitive mode, not "waste your team mates time who are relying on you- for the lulz" mode. Granted, raging about someone doing so is hardly constructive - but neither is trolling in response.

Enh, if you're going to rage, I got no fairness for you. Because someone will always push your hair trigger, no matter on what topic. There are very few problems where "be an asshole" is the solution.

Also, this is a comic strip, and might possibly have been exaggerated for comedic value.

dennis on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Nothing anyone does in the course of playing a video game merits being screamed at, no matter how bad they are. I have zero sympathy for anyone who acts like that.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    first rule of Overwatch is, don't play with randos

2nd rule is, if you have to play with randos, mute all. super mega mute. hyper mute. maximum possible mute.

and this is the basic design flaw of OW. they give you like 30 different heros you can play, with the expectation that people will switch around and play whatever is needed for a specific task or phase of the game or whatever... but people don't switch. they LOCK themselves into "mains", toons that they play almost exclusively.. and DON'T YOU DARE play someone else's "main" (because only 1 person can play any given hero).

it doesn't help that out of the 30 heros, only a handful are actually "any damn good at all". and GOD HELP YOU if you pick one that isn't.

because, you know, maybe you're trying to learn the game?

and yeah as pointed out, OW uses a ranking system. players of similar skill are matched together (in theory..) so if you are playing with player X, that is because you share roughly the same skill rating. so don't fucking call your team-mates stupid names, ok? if he's a nub scrub bad, YOU ARE BOTH NUB SCRUB BADS.

jwalk on
  • Options
    Bobart RobskyBobart Robsky Registered User regular
    To be fair -- Gabe shouldn't be trying to figure this kind of thing out in the middle of a competitive match. Screaming shitlord man has a point.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    To be fair -- Gabe shouldn't be trying to figure this kind of thing out in the middle of a competitive match. Screaming shitlord man has a point.

To be fair, there are other posters in this thread besides yourself.

• Options

Still falls back to the same exact point though.

"utilizing them effectively and appropriately"

If they were doing that themselves they would not be scrub rank.

Usually those who think they know a lot about the game and the best way to play it yelling at others while most of what they are yelling about is wrong.

So it all comes back to the idea that if that person focused on themselves they wouldn't be in that situation at all. But instead they choose to blame others and that is the primary reason they are playing with those people they yell at.

If you understand the game well enough to actually be telling people what to do while playing at their level your mechanics are either far enough behind them that they could offer you just as much advice on that end or you might not actually know as much as you think you do. Either way, you're in no position to be yelling. Helpful advice? Sure! Converse. But this whole thing is about someones response to this situation being just anger. So no reason for sympathy there!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    eh, yes and no
    Iike I said, you should be going in with everything on SUPERMUTE, but if you didn't, and if someone is being a shitlord, it doesn't matter what mode, you're gonna get muted and it's gonna take however long it takes to make that happen. in short, don't be a shitlord, won't be in this situation.

"THIS SI COMPETTIVE!!!!111" should not be an excuse for being a complete shitcock

jwalk on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    eh, yes and no
    Iike I said, you should be going in with everything on SUPERMUTE, but if you didn't, and if someone is being a shitlord, it doesn't matter what mode, you're gonna get muted and it's gonna take however long it takes to make that happen. in short, don't be a shitlord, won't be in this situation.

"THIS SI COMPETTIVE!!!!111" should not be an excuse for being a complete shitcock

If some dude is dominating the voice channel yelling at someone, you're probably better off spending 20 seconds in the spawn room to mute him so your team can regroup and actually talk constructively without getting shouted down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Wrong. Knowing how to mute someone and being good at playing the game are separate things. Does not matter how good or bad your are at the shooty mcshooty part, you still should not be queuing up for srs bsns modes until you know how to do things like leaving or joining chat, voice, etc. There is no skill that allows you to join chat better. You do not get ranked based on your muting ability. There is no MMR rating for knowing where a menu option is. You can come in from another game entirely and have great twitch skills and game sense but still be ignorant of basic UI functions, and since the game does not test or evaluate you directly for those, end up on teams with people that have both and have no time or patience to teach you mid match. (does not excuse the rage reaction though)

What is it about the separation of the concepts of skill and knowledge that you are having issues grasping? Not sure how else to explain it.

And for the rest of you: Understanding and excusing/sympathy when it comes to ragers and trolls are different things too.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You see the thing is

It's a joke

• Options
    edited February 2018

Wrong. Knowing how to mute someone and being good at playing the game are separate things. Does not matter how good or bad your are at the shooty mcshooty part, you still should not be queuing up for srs bsns modes until you know how to do things like leaving or joining chat, voice, etc. There is no skill that allows you to join chat better. You do not get ranked based on your muting ability. There is no MMR rating for knowing where a menu option is. You can come in from another game entirely and have great twitch skills and game sense but still be ignorant of basic UI functions, and since the game does not test or evaluate you directly for those, end up on teams with people that have both and have no time or patience to teach you mid match. (does not excuse the rage reaction though)

What is it about the separation of the concepts of skill and knowledge that you are having issues grasping? Not sure how else to explain it.

And for the rest of you: Understanding and excusing/sympathy when it comes to ragers and trolls are different things too.

See if a person says "hey where is this option?" Another person can say "this is where"

And that entire interaction is over. It doesn't get in the way of gameplay in anyway. The idea of anything else is crazy.

I mean the joke here is that this reaction is so extreme.

Knowing where menu options are, if that's all we're talking about, is so incredibly unrelated to anything gameplay wise that it has nothing to do with playing ranked.

I've seen literal professional video game players not know where options are or that they even exist or have completely avoided reading what new abilities do in a game.

Are they not ready to play ranked?

That idea is so completely crazy.

Many people play through entire games without knowing all the menu options..

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    You see the thing is

It's a joke

on the internet? that's crazy talk.

• Options
    DanielleLittle25DanielleLittle25 Canada, Toronto, OntarioRegistered User new member
    jwalk wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    You see the thing is

It's a joke

on the internet? that's crazy talk.

I see you have a thin sense of humor.