As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I don't think Tyranids are really the army you wanna do a specifically low model-count playstyle with.

I mean, I've seen it kinda work on youtube battle reports, but... it also seems super fragile, and isn't particularly fluffy.

Necrons might be what you're looking for.

Which is good, because they look friggin awesome.

Nidzilla is alive though not hyper competitive. But this is true for all elite armies, you need bodies in 8th. Necrons need warriors because of that and aren't elite anymore than marines are.

Play what seems fun to paint as well as what is on the table I would say. On friendly match games everyone can at least put up a fight many times.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Might end up being necrons then... I'm always torn between the fluff of Tyranids with the whole monster thing, but I really like the look of Necrons aesthetically.

Though, this is a ways down the road as I still want to finish off a couple thousand points of Death Guard before I move on.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The problem with running low model count tyranids is that there’s so much synergy between the big monsters and screens of chaff that you kinda suffer when just spamming one. Yeah there’s outliers like all Hive Tyrant lists but that’s tournament nonsense that you’ll quickly become bored with. You can do alright with a bunch of medium monsters, though it won’t really be low model count as much as smaller model count than usual.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Custodes and Grey Knights can do it but they're not bad guys. Custodes are the better designed of the two atm.

I think your best option for an evil faction would be Daemons and just like 6 princes?

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Custodes and Grey Knights can do it but they're not bad guys. Custodes are the better designed of the two atm.

I think your best option for an evil faction would be Daemons and just like 6 princes?

This also sounds cool

That was the idea though... Small unit count and elite, but not those two factions. Though they do look great and have some fun rules.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Daemon Primarchs, Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons (Bloodthirsters, Keepers of Secrets, Lords of Change, whatever the nurgle one is) would be a small and actually pretty varied list with lots of customization if you go for all four gods.

It won't be terribly competitive, people will point a lot of high AP, high damage weapons at you and your units will evaporate while their 100+ T3, 1W, 5+ guys will take you like five turns to clear (while costing less points) but it would look quite cool.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Renegade Knights? Extremely small unit count, also decidedly evil. You could have 1 dedicated to each god given each one will be about 500 points.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Renegade Knights? Extremely small unit count, also decidedly evil. You could have 1 dedicated to each god given each one will be about 500 points.

Is that a thing? What codex is that in?

Renegade knights sounds awesome

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    There’s renegade knight rules in the chaos index. There’s also a ton of different renegade knights in the forgeworld chaos index with some pretty neat rules.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Daemon Primarchs, Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons (Bloodthirsters, Keepers of Secrets, Lords of Change, whatever the nurgle one is) would be a small and actually pretty varied list with lots of customization if you go for all four gods.

It won't be terribly competitive, people will point a lot of high AP, high damage weapons at you and your units will evaporate while their 100+ T3, 1W, 5+ guys will take you like five turns to clear (while costing less points) but it would look quite cool.

This sounds inline with my priorities

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    There’s renegade knight rules in the chaos index. There’s also a ton of different renegade knights in the forgeworld chaos index with some pretty neat rules.

Found it

This could be fun and I could tag them in along my Death guard if I wanted to play a higher point list...

Time to start saving.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I'm not sure the lower model count makes them any more portable though. And unfortunately dedicating them to gods doesn't really do much rule-wise. But a good centre-piece for what you already have, and a low model count army in it's own right that isn't crippled by being low model count.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Having skimmed the rules, they certainly look like fun.

And they'd absolutely make for a good looking piece on the table.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I like swarm Tyranids tons of Termagaunts with Warriors
    I did not have a hive tyrant or Trevigon when I got it

I got this 6jyg8k4mcqed.png
    as a "prize" back in 2010
    I got this necron one
    ik2du18aqkt2.png
    As a prize as well
    I did not know part of the reason he was giving away them as prizes was to divest himself of 40k in general {he closed his store in early 2012}

They are still wrapped in the box as I quit playing 40k about that time due to a group of assholes and generally my interest tanked

Brainleech on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Also Knights are getting a new smaller variant, the Knight Armiger, and I expect that to be available for Renegades, too.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I hate waiting for codexes. Eagerly awaiting the Necron one, now. I can't imagine how you people stomached waiting years for codexes. It seems unacceptable to me / GW must have been run like shit.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I hate waiting for codexes. Eagerly awaiting the Necron one, now. I can't imagine how you people stomached waiting years for codexes. It seems unacceptable to me / GW must have been run like shit.

I mean, it helped a bit that you could use older Codexes in the interim. This is the first time an edition's completely invalidated older Codexes in, what, twenty years?

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    If I want to create a Thousand Sons/Demon list with all Tzeentch demons, would a mutalith work? It looks cool, but I don't know how it would work on the table top.

Also, I generally want to include lots of different units so I can play with all the toys, in this case, screamers, horrors, Tzaangors, and flamers. Would you recommend concentrating on one or two of these, or having smaller units of each.

I know I need cultists as screening, but how many do people generally go for in a 2k list?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated. I don't get to play much at all, but I'd like to build a list and just stick with that. My space marines already grew to an entire company and I have more Valhallans an IG than you can shake a stick at.

I don't necessarily want to beat face and make it unfun for my opponent, if that's is an option, but I would like to be able to win as much as I lose, once I learn how to play the army.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Bizazedo wrote: »

I mean, it helped a bit that you could use older Codexes in the interim. This is the first time an edition's completely invalidated older Codexes in, what, twenty years?

3rd edition to 7th for sure

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    If I want to create a Thousand Sons/Demon list with all Tzeentch demons, would a mutalith work? It looks cool, but I don't know how it would work on the table top.

Also, I generally want to include lots of different units so I can play with all the toys, in this case, screamers, horrors, Tzaangors, and flamers. Would you recommend concentrating on one or two of these, or having smaller units of each.

I know I need cultists as screening, but how many do people generally go for in a 2k list?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated. I don't get to play much at all, but I'd like to build a list and just stick with that. My space marines already grew to an entire company and I have more Valhallans an IG than you can shake a stick at.

I don't necessarily want to beat face and make it unfun for my opponent, if that's is an option, but I would like to be able to win as much as I lose, once I learn how to play the army.

I am not 100% sure yet. Its rather cheap points wise, 150. Its buffs have a decent range and work really well with a mix of units along with lots of ways to do mortal wounds. I think in the end it might be a good addition to most pure Tsons list.

I run 30 cultist at minimum in my armies. Its 120 pts for 3 minimum units and that is basically 3 cps and can hold an objective. You can easily double that if you want still get a lot of use.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Sounds like I need to buy some cultists

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »

Dark Vengeance cultist are starting to become expensive since people are picking them up but still some of the best bang for your buck.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »

Dark Vengeance cultist are starting to become expensive since people are picking them up but still some of the best bang for your buck.

When I left the game a few months later I robotically bought Dark Vengeance when I came back I bought it again just for the cult and for the new marine
    Still if they were not so chaos looking I would paint them both Alpha Legion so they can yell at each other they are doing it wrong

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    GSCultists with headswaps and new iconography are also perfect.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    The problem with running low model count tyranids is that there’s so much synergy between the big monsters and screens of chaff that you kinda suffer when just spamming one. Yeah there’s outliers like all Hive Tyrant lists but that’s tournament nonsense that you’ll quickly become bored with. You can do alright with a bunch of medium monsters, though it won’t really be low model count as much as smaller model count than usual.

I've always wanted to run warrior-heavy armies.

I like the idea of having all those shots, goodish BS and Good WS, plus nice weapons and leadership. Add an obscenely large screen of hormagaunts, a Tyrant, and a couple of exotic units, and I'm about it. Warriors as my main troops just speaks to me.

Genestealers are turbo-rad, but armies based around them, without gaunts or gants, sometimes seem to crumble once the 'stealers have to deal with something weird, such as... the other army shooting.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    between dark vengeance and getting the Cultist Assault box a while ago I've been good for cultists unless I wanted to make a brigade out of them

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    What Mazzy said and the Mutalith Auras also specifically target "Tzeentch" units so it applies to both T-Sons and Demons.

Cultists are good across the meta right now, but I believe I'll be using either Horrors and/or Tzaangors in my lists.

@valhalla130

• Options
    I like the idea of demons working with the TSons, but I also like the idea of cultists summoning the agents of the Changer of Ways. I'm torn.

I do like all the demons on Tzeentch's side though. For some reason, they appeal to me more than the other gods' demons. It may boil down to just I like blue more than any other color. But I do feel they habe more variety than the other gods.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    In all fairness there’s no reason you couldn’t paint up a bunch of fiery propane blue Khorne daemons. They’d certainly stand out from the rest. Their units are kinda samey though. You’ve got the ‘letters, special boss ‘letters, a unique ‘letter in a skull cape, ‘letters riding juggernauts, ‘letters driving skullguns, giant hairy winged ‘letters, and then lizard dogs.

• Options
    You would lose Mutalith and spell synergy if you took Khornate stuff. A lot of the army's playstyle revolves around buffing your T-Sons or Tzeentch Demons to get maximum value, there's no need to dilute.

@ valhalla130 There's no reason you can't take BOTH cultists and some demons in the same list with separate detachments. A Cultist is 4 points and a Pink Horror is 7 so you can have 40 cultists and 20 Horrors for 300 points even before adding on wargear. A 10 man Rubric squad with bolters, the reaper cannon, and the Aspiring Sorcerer is 220 points. So 3 squads of 10 Rubrics is 660, add in the Cultists and Horrors and you are still under a thousand points at 960.

That's 30 Rubrics, 20 Pink Horrors, and 40 Cultists. That's a terrific core for an army.

• Options
    That sounds really good. But I'm imagining painting all that. Lol

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    So played my weekly game tonight. It was another 2v1. My opponents again were guard and death guard verse my alpha legion this time. More of a real list than me fucking around with Abbadon.

So my list:
    +++ 2-9 (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gifts of Chaos (1 Relic)
    . Categories: No Force Org Slot

Legion: Alpha Legion

+ Heavy Support +

Havocs: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Chaos, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Khorne, Heavy Support, Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
    . 4x Havoc w/ boltgun
    . Havoc w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Maulerfiend: Lasher tendrils, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Heavy Support, <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Daemon, Daemon Engine, Heretic Astartes, Vehicle, Slaanesh

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle: Bolt pistol, Mark of Slaanesh, Power maul
    . Categories: HQ, Chaos, Character, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, <Legion>, Slaanesh

Exalted Champion: Blade of the Hydra, Chainsword, No Chaos Mark, Plasma pistol
    . Categories: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, HQ, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Character, Exalted Champion

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Troops, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Chaos, Slaanesh
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings: Malefic talon, Warp bolter
    . Categories: HQ, Chaos, Character, Daemon, Fly, Heretic Astartes, Monster, <Legion>
    . Slaanesh: Warptime
    . . Categories: Psyker, Slaanesh

Sorcerer: Bolt pistol, Delightful Agonies, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh, Prescience
    . Categories: HQ, <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Psyker, Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Chaos, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Troops, Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
    . 3x Marine w/ Boltgun
    . Marine w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher

. Categories: Chaos, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Troops, Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
    . 3x Marine w/ Boltgun
    . Marine w/ heavy weapon: Lascannon

. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Combi-melta
    . 3x Marine w/ Boltgun
    . Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Heretic Astartes, Dedicated Transport, Transport, Vehicle, Slaanesh

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord: Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh, Power fist
    . Categories: HQ, Chaos Lord, Character, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Slaanesh

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Elites, Infantry, Terminator, Slaanesh
    . Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-plasma, Power axe
    . Terminator: Combi-plasma, Power axe

Noise Marines
    . Categories: Chaos, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Slaanesh, <Legion>, <Legion>, Elites
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Sonic blaster

Noise Marines
    . Categories: Chaos, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Slaanesh, <Legion>, <Legion>, Elites
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Sonic blaster

Possessed: Icon of Excess, Mark of Slaanesh, 8x Possessed
    . Categories: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Daemon, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Elites, Slaanesh

++ Total: [114 PL, 1996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Mission was malstrom 1 of chapter approved (kill points, line breaker, slay the warlord, first blood)+cards.

Its a pretty straight forward list. A cultist screen, slaanesh plasma units, alpha legion infiltration. I infiltrated the havocs and the melta team. Possessed were in the rhino with the EC and the Apostle. Backline was held down by the lord and sorc. The prince warptimed into supporting the havocs.

My first turn I get blood and guts, no prisoners, and psychological warfare. IThe blood and guts would take 3 turns but would end up being d3 points. I got d3 with no prisoners first turn.

I finished deploying first but lost the roll but seized! Woo! This means I got to put stuff where I wanted and get my fire down on the first turn. Everything went right. I got prescience off on the havocs. Got the prince in reroll. Deleted a lemon russ and a plague squad with them. Deleted another russ with the melta team. By the end of the first turn I had deleted or made run away 1 Lemon Russ tanks, a squad of ratlings, a cultist squad, a plague marine squad. One russ was on 1 wound as well.

My opponents on their turn respond but it was harder as I had broken a lot of firepower. They kill 4 bolter marines from the havoc squad. The melta squad. A few cultist ate it. Also the Lord of Contagion and his deathshroud were able to teleport behind my lines due to me leaving a bubble sadly. They failed their charges on the first turn.

My second turn I continue my roll. My rhino continues to move up with its contents. DP moves up but fails warptime. I failed all my psychic powers but smite on the LoC which was 1 wound and he saved it. Still I delete a blight drone shooting. Another guard squad in close combat with the prince. Damage another drone down to half. And put a 3 wounds on the LoC with just mass shooting with stuff that was close to him, forgot my termis though.

Their turn the cataphractii get into my lines. Kill a sorc, kill some cultist but the squad stick. The damaged bloat drone tries to charge my noise marines. I realize now it shouldn't of been able to but whatever. I lose my rhino and roll poorly on the explosion and it kills two possessed. The DP falls to the plague sorc. Still I hold defend objective 6 at the end and get more points. At this point I am head like 12 pts to 4.

My turn I pull back. Set my cultist to hold the charge. Drop in my termis. Move my possessed and maulerfiend into charge ranges. My cards are blood and guts, kill a vehicle/monster/character with a chaos character, and kill imperium units. I murder the plague sorc with plasma. I murder a cultist squad and a guard squad with my possessed and maulerfiend. Roll into 1" of the last squads. We call at the end of their next turn. They get my EC and kill my termis with deathshrouds+LoC.

End points though are me at ~18 and them at ~7.

My list was was more tuned and is basically my starting point for possibly NOVA. I am not sure. God I wish I had the tzeentch artifact to get my CP. I had 0 at the end and thanks to the annoying guard stuff they still had 7 at the end.

Still CSM are a blast no matter what. That game felt like my Alpha (strike) Legion collapsed a flank and moved in through the hole on some poor nurgle guard living no prisoners in their wake. Different style than my EC but was still tons of fun.

I have been playing around with different legions, my marines are a dark purple so I can, and I am finding fun stuff in all of them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Local tournament for me today, finished with two wins and one loss. Very happy with that considering the Dark Eldar are still an index army and I exclusively faced codex lists.

Dark Lances are the light.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I’m starting to think I’d like to do make some Salamanders after I finish up my Crimson Fists...

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    The rules for Eisenhorn are out.

N9V1Uyh.jpg
    U7PYvys.jpg

They seem pretty good super fluffy to me. Wonder if Ravenor will get a hover coffin model next.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I love that using Malus Codicium removes Unquestionable Wisdom. It feels like cheekiness.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    That sounds really good. But I'm imagining painting all that. Lol

You could comfortably drop the Horrors or the Cultists for Scarab Occult Terminators.

As others have said, body count matters in 8th edition. Those blobs or Horrors, Cultists, and Tzaangors all have great uses and versatility. The cultists alone can have their shooting buffed to +1 by magic, which suddenly makes 20- 40 of them adding their fire to the Rubrics' shooting a frightful prospect. You don't get any value from them when they die, however, like you do in Deathguard. Horrors are tarpits with some shooting and magic, and Tzaangors are like S4T4 cultists with a 5+ invuln.

• Options
    Opinions on deathshroud and blightlord terminators?

This list ...

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [67 PL, 1248pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype

+ HQ +

Lord of Contagion [7 PL, 117pts]: Manreaper

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: Gift of Contagion, Miasma of Pestilence

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [10 PL, 165pts]: Icon of Despair
    . Plague Champion: Boltgun, Plaguesword, Power fist
    . 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
    . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
    . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

+ Elites +

Foul Blightspawn [4 PL, 77pts]

Noxious Blightbringer [4 PL, 65pts]: Plasma pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

++ Total: [67 PL, 1248pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe
    is basically what I own so far. Going to grab some PBC's at some point but curious about termies I can deep strike with the Lord.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I played against some deathshroud last night. I just kept a cultist screen in front and fell back 6" a turn away from them in an ever increasing bubble while shooting them with noise marines. Because of their cataphractii armor they are super kiteable if you don't get that first deep strike charge off.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I already have 19 cultists, and only need one more to be able to field both the heavy flamer and the heavy stunner.

But today I saw these and now I'm torn.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Kairic-Acolytes

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.