As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    These are good points I had not thought of

:heartbeat: This thread

I can't tell you how much I've learned from asking questions and listening to the folks here. They probably got sick of me.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    For 'I've got two hours tonight and a tournament tomorrow' it seems inked base spray over 90% of the model doesn't do a half bad job. I reckon the shiny orcs are at least better than bare plastic anyway, and I can fool myself that I'll come back to do some details one day.

x7DSQlH.jpg?1

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    Here's a washed out picture of a thing I made.
    pwoeaf3o8yck.jpg
    s7dyyfgx1bel.jpg
    ot7q2r0mar81.jpg
    I need a new camera...

• Options
    I'm working on LotD still. Almost done with the 3rd model. I am really enjoying working on these. And it's so much faster painting them than my Fists, relatively. I'm just taking more time with them.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    I'm only getting to work on this in short-ish spells (kids are off school for half-term break) but I'm really happy with how he's coming on.

g8c1ypivh9c7.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    Boyz II Men
    pv3xby5a6jvx.jpg
    ceewbcc7yedb.jpg
    m8pjjaxvbhy4.jpg
    0ciuj09zokg6.jpg

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    I'm only getting to work on this in short-ish spells (kids are off school for half-term break) but I'm really happy with how he's coming on.

g8c1ypivh9c7.jpg

Ok... I need to know what paints/techniques you used on his belly plate... That combo looks sharp

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

g8c1ypivh9c7.jpg

Ok... I need to know what paints/techniques you used on his belly plate... That combo looks sharp

It's airbrush heavy but you could recreate it via regular brush using glazes amd a hairdryer.

Primed Vallejo Russian Green;
    Based the armour with VGC Camouflage Green;
    Highlighted the upper areas with a 50/50 mix of Camo Green and VMC Ice Yellow;
    Airbrushed a few thin layers of Citadel Agrax Earthshade into the recesses.

Then with a regular brush I washed with Athonian Camoshade, edge highlighted with the yellow/green mix (more towards yellow though) and glazed a few more thin layers of Agrax into the recesses to boost the contrast.

As a finishing touch I painted thinned streaks of VGC Charred Brown running from the craters.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

g8c1ypivh9c7.jpg

It's airbrush heavy but you could recreate it via regular brush using glazes amd a hairdryer.

Then with a regular brush I washed with Athonian Camoshade, edge highlighted with the yellow/green mix (more towards yellow though) and glazed a few more thin layers of Agrax into the recesses to boost the contrast.

As a finishing touch I painted thinned streaks of VGC Charred Brown running from the craters.

...My wife is gonna be mad...

Thanks Kneel!

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Finished my Alexis Polux Christmas present, even if I have embarrassed myself with the amount of yellow.

Frr7kFZ.jpg
    e4l5ktN.jpg

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Ok I realise this is like barely an update but I *think* I did some NMM (see leg):

70scrvgtona9.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    If I want to practice with an airbrush, what kind of paint would y'all recommend? I don't want to use my Citadel Air paints just to practice with.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    You mean like trying lighter and stronger hues on pieces of paper to get brush control down? Honestly you’re probably better off just using the paints you want to practice with. Different paints are finicky in their own unique ways.

I’d test them out on some horde models like guardsmen so any mistakes get lost in the crowd, and you get the productive feeling of actually getting something painted.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular

g8c1ypivh9c7.jpg

Instructions unclear, ran paint through hair dryer, now it doesn't work.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Finally managed to put everything for the elf team together. Now waiting for the airbrush booth. I hope that is usable without that snorkel that you can get extra?

47cs7c4u4c3o.jpg

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    WIP Salamander next to the Raven Guard I did before. The Salamander was more fun to paint, whereas I feel like highlighting all that black would get old pretty quickly, but equally that green's not my favourite colour. So in summary I suck and I'm still no closer to actually committing to one army.

kxnjt4a7u7dd.jpg

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    fray wrote: »
    WIP Salamander next to the Raven Guard I did before. The Salamander was more fun to paint, whereas I feel like highlighting all that black would get old pretty quickly, but equally that green's not my favourite colour. So in summary I suck and I'm still no closer to actually committing to one army.

kxnjt4a7u7dd.jpg

Look into some successor chapters if you want to use Raven Guard rules. I still think Salis are a really good SM army and are a bit under appreciated.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Look into some successor chapters if you want to use Raven Guard rules. I still think Salis are a really good SM army and are a bit under appreciated.

Or just roll your own successor chapter. You pick the colorscheme, lore, army style, etc. The only downside to successors in general is you would lose access to Shrike/Vulkan, but that's only one unit for either of those armies.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    If green's your favorite color and you want to run as Raven Guard then the answer, of course, is Raptors.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Or just roll your own successor chapter. You pick the colorscheme, lore, army style, etc. The only downside to successors in general is you would lose access to Shrike/Vulkan, but that's only one unit for either of those armies.

I don't see why you would. If you want your raven guard to be mauve and polka-dotted, they're mauve and polka-dotted raven guard. And Shrike, in all his mauve and polka-dotted glory, can lead them.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    If green's your favorite color and you want to run as Raven Guard then the answer, of course, is Raptors.

they said green is not their favourite colour :P
    raptors are awesome tho

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Mantis Warriors
    yf5atmci78ba.png
    a2rsfpzgnip6.png

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Dayspring wrote: »

raptors are awesome tho

You got me. I don't actually pay any attention to you people.

Bunch of nerds.

Also I painted a Saruman model I've had lying around for 17 years or so:
    EK4AR56l.jpg

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    Yeah, a successor chapter would be an option, although I do like Shrike as a character. And I guess officially Salamanders don't have any successors? Apart from maybe the Black Dragons, which doesn't really solve the problem.

What I really want to do is a samurai-themed chapter, maybe using some of the Blood Angels kits that have stylised muscley armour, but I'm not sure if my modelling skills are up to that.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »

raptors are awesome tho

You got me. I don't actually pay any attention to you people.

Bunch of nerds.

Also I painted a Saruman model I've had lying around for 17 years or so:
    EK4AR56l.jpg

Your model just reminded me how funny it would be to have a figure/statue of Saruman holding a Magic 8 Ball instead.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    fray wrote: »
    Yeah, a successor chapter would be an option, although I do like Shrike as a character. And I guess officially Salamanders don't have any successors? Apart from maybe the Black Dragons, which doesn't really solve the problem.

What I really want to do is a samurai-themed chapter, maybe using some of the Blood Angels kits that have stylised muscley armour, but I'm not sure if my modelling skills are up to that.

Just paint/mod them however you want. And if you want them to be raven guard that look like yellow samurai? They're raven guard, and samurai shrike can lead them. If they day after you want them to be dark angels, then they're yellow samurai dark angels. Etc.

And anybody who tells you you can't do that is an idiot not worthy of your time.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Is it just me, or is Saruman giving me the glad eye (while holding his staff and fondling his ball)?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the Flamespyre Phoenix wings, feet and head would look the wrong size on a Demon prince?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Does anyone know if the Flamespyre Phoenix wings, feet and head would look the wrong size on a Demon prince?

This guy made that conversion. Looks like it works?
    https://dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/545065.page?userfilterid=22236

honovere on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They're maybe a little big compared to the standard demon wings, and not very poseable, but it should look fine, yeah.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Either way, it's a Daemon prince, right? It looks however it looks, and if that means the wings or head(s) or assorted tentacled masses may not be perfectly to scale with the torso or limbs, so be it.
    It's beautiful, because that's the way the chaos gods made it.

• Options
    Kinda spamming the thread at this stage, sorry.
    not sorry.

5uroiyf33uwq.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Does terminator armor just have mechanical manipulators that the wearer controls from the wrists? Because unless Typhus is a double amputee those look like robot hands.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    Does terminator armor just have mechanical manipulators that the wearer controls from the wrists? Because unless Typhus is a double amputee those look like robot hands.

I have absolutely no idea.

Rule of cool I guess?

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Probably? IIRC there was once a description of tactical dreadnought armour training that had the user learning to react using just their neural link controls rather than actually waving their arms around and one result on the 2nd edition Shokk Attack Gun table for terminators has the snotlings displace the pilot into the warp whereupon the suit begins to act randomly as the trapped greenies panic and trigger the controls.

Of course with chaos duders, especially Nurgle, this gets a bit blurry as they literally fuse with their suits after a while.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Probably? IIRC there was once a description of tactical dreadnought armour training that had the user learning to react using just their neural link controls rather than actually waving their arms around and one result on the 2nd edition Shokk Attack Gun table for terminators has the snotlings displace the pilot into the warp whereupon the suit begins to act randomly as the trapped greenies panic and trigger the controls.

Of course with chaos duders, especially Nurgle, this gets a bit blurry as they literally fuse with their suits after a while.

All marine suits are partly controlled mentally, it’s what the black carapace is for.

For terminators I always though that the arms were entirely mechanical because otherwise the shoulders and head make no sense in relation to each other. I kinda figured the guy was in there crossarmed like a vampire.

This also makes sense when you consider that terminator armour was designed as an extreme environment worker suit for regular humans, ala the power loader from alien.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yes, the Carapace allows the suit to read the wearer’s intent and ‘get out of the way’ just in time so they don’t squish themselves against the plates ahead of the motion etc. but that is, by default, always done in tandem with the wearer actually making a movement for maximum intuitiveness. Terminator training being to separate the motion of the pilot’s arms from the intent to move the suit arms (because they’re crossed in front of his chest and possibly also operating the suit’s sensor systems) makes sense in that context, no?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
This discussion has been closed.