As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Gabe or Tycho: Why Thinkgeek?

mertzmertz Registered User new member
I write this out of frustration and disappointment. I'm a long time fan of PA (as are pretty much everyone here, I guess) ... but I have a disadvantage over the others.

See, I live in Europe (no pun intended) ... amd though I'd love to buy one, two or maybe more of the great shirts coming from PA, I just can't get myself to order from a place where the cost of shipment is higher than the product I'm buying. So I ask ... why Thinkgeek? I know it's a fun, cool and nerdy-hip place to have a shop, but when they charge 20+ dollars for shipping a damn t-shirt there's gotta be something wrong!

Is there any way we could possibly find a way around this? :(

Sincerely,
Thomas

Do I look like the sort of guy who'd go out, find unsuspecting japanese schoolgirls and ask them if they'd like to see my Cthulhu Special?
mertz on

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gabe and Tycho don't read the forums (although Khoo does, and this might be a topic more for him than them), and i'm not sure this is the forum for such a subject. Maybe try sending a PM to Khoo?
    anyways, welcome to the forums, make yourself at home, and STAY TO THE RIGHT

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Damn. Well, don't you know!

Thanks for the heads up, and I'll stick to the right ;)

mertz on
    Do I look like the sort of guy who'd go out, find unsuspecting japanese schoolgirls and ask them if they'd like to see my Cthulhu Special?
  • Options
    Mr. Yos MannMr. Yos Mann Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    There is a right?

Mr. Yos Mann on
    shinichiropot2.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hello Clarice..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited November 2006
    There is a right?

yup.

:arrow:

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    And then there was crack!

mertz on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Its not the shipping that's so bad mertz, its the 35 quid customs bill Her Majesty will sting you with for three t-shirts ordered from think geek. I'd love to buy more PA stuff, but its simply not worth it with that kind of duty to be paid on it.

think geek really needs an EU arm.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    craiger316craiger316 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    mertz wrote:
    See, I live in Europe (no pun intended) ... amd though I'd love to buy one, two or maybe more of the great shirts coming from PA, I just can't get myself to order from a place where the cost of shipment is higher than the product I'm buying.

Mertz, I've had the exact same problem with ThinkGeek (I live in Canada). You have to get on ThinkGeek's case, not p-a's. For P-A it makes perfect sense to use thinkgeek, what p-a is selling is in line with what thinkgeek sells, and p-a doesn't have to go through the trouble of setting up and managing an online store themselves.

I actually emailed ThinkGeek a while back and asked them to provide USPS as an option to Canadian buyers, or offer a drop-ship location somewhere in Canada (like X10 does). They shot down both ideas. For USPS they claim the parcels can't be tracked as well, it's not reliable, etc... That's not true as I've ordered tonnes of stuff from ebay using USPS, it's great, and I'm only charged $5 brokerage.

craiger316 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mertz, I've had the exact same problem with ThinkGeek (I live in Canada). You have to get on ThinkGeek's case, not p-a's. For P-A it makes perfect sense to use thinkgeek, what p-a is selling is in line with what thinkgeek sells, and p-a doesn't have to go through the trouble of setting up and managing an online store themselves.

I actually emailed ThinkGeek a while back and asked them to provide USPS as an option to Canadian buyers, or offer a drop-ship location somewhere in Canada (like X10 does). They shot down both ideas. For USPS they claim the parcels can't be tracked as well, it's not reliable, etc... That's not true as I've ordered tonnes of stuff from ebay using USPS, it's great, and I'm only charged $5 brokerage.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I can't see what justifies the 20+ dollar shipping charge for a f**king (is this a ToS violation?) t-shirt.
    I paid less when I had my monitor shipped back from support in the US! What gives?

And I'm sorry. I didn't want to start out in this community with being a bitchin' and whinin' idiot!

mertz on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    mertz wrote:
    f**king (is this a ToS violation?)

Nah, we fucking swear all the fucking time, so you're fucking safe. Fucker.

Echo on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hey, watch your fucking mouth!

Nartwak on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Robert is a pretty chill guy, so shoot him an email and as he might not be aware of the issue (rkhoo@penny-arcade.com).

Älphämönkëy on
This discussion has been closed.