As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

19495969798100»

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying my Teclast tablet I bought mostly for reading comics, with the bonus side effect that it has been such a great way to show people wedding photos - think it would have been well worth it for that alone.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I know there's a hundred sites out there that tell you how to do it but do you guys recommend a site that shows you how to root your phone? I'm on a Pixel 2. I trust you guys more than I do a random site.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    XDA usually has whatever you need to do it but it's rarely in the form of a user friendly guide. If you're experienced then it should be no problem but if not it could be confusing.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    XDA usually has whatever you need to do it but it's rarely in the form of a user friendly guide. If you're experienced then it should be no problem but if not it could be confusing.

Trying to piece together a usable flow to root your phone from xda can make you appreciate what scholars went through before the Rosetta Stone was found. Still usually your best bet though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Is this the thread to ask about a phone? My iphone 4 (or something I don't know or care) is pretty much done and I can finally switch to Android. Are there any privacy issues with a Google Pixel 2? Google's privacy stuff isn't my favorite and I'm worried they will collect too much data. Am I being paranoid?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
      The phone is mostly irrelevant; if you're using Android, you're going to be sending a lot of data to Google since you'll be using many of their apps.

For me, the price of my data is worth using their apps. That's a personal choice you'll have to make.

• Options
      JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
      If you really want to go the non-google route, you'll need to root your phone and install something like Lineage OS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

Haven't done it myself, but my understanding is that it actually rips out a lot of the back-end Google stuff, including the Google Play Store - you can install them yourself, if you want, but they're not automatically included.

• Options
      shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
      I hate the new white navigation bar in Chrome. It's so ugly.

• Options
      a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Is this the thread to ask about a phone? My iphone 4 (or something I don't know or care) is pretty much done and I can finally switch to Android. Are there any privacy issues with a Google Pixel 2? Google's privacy stuff isn't my favorite and I'm worried they will collect too much data. Am I being paranoid?

If you're concerned about that, then Android probably isn't the platform for you.

• Options
      wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
      And for the record, even if you use an iPhone, most of the apps you use are also sending data back. Apple preaches security, but 3rd party apps can do their own thing.

Personally: yes they take data, but we're advertised to, and have data collected from us literally every second of our lives, so I just frankly don't care enough to worry about it anymore.

It's just kind of the world we live in.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options
      related: I'm working on a new OP, and will put a new thread up this weekend.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options
      a5ehren wrote: »

If you're concerned about that, then Android probably isn't the platform for you.

I'm fine with standard data being sent back, I was just more concerned google went beyond that. But like I said, I'm just more paranoid.

• Options

I'm fine with standard data being sent back, I was just more concerned google went beyond that. But like I said, I'm just more paranoid.

Well I guess it depends on how you define paranoid. If you're truly paranoid but still want something resembling Android, there is Copperhead OS.

If you have a Gmail account and/or use Chrome already, then running Android doesn't get them much more than that...except for location and keyboard stuff. Both of those are possible to work around if you prefer.

• Options

Well I guess it depends on how you define paranoid. If you're truly paranoid but still want something resembling Android, there is Copperhead OS.

If you have a Gmail account and/or use Chrome already, then running Android doesn't get them much more than that...except for location and keyboard stuff. Both of those are possible to work around if you prefer.

I'm not that paranoid, but I appreciate you clearing some of my misconceptions up!

• Options
          CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Didn't Google announce they were stopping their data mining of Gmail? I remember hearing that when they came out with the corporate Gmail.

• Options
          Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
          shadowane wrote: »
          I hate the new white navigation bar in Chrome. It's so ugly.

Argh I knew it! I kept thinking "this wasn't here before!" But all my friends send to think it was there all along. Fucking thank you for proving I'm not insane. Now to find a way to get rid of the bar...

• Options
          Carpy wrote: »

Didn't Google announce they were stopping their data mining of Gmail? I remember hearing that when they came out with the corporate Gmail.

They don't do it if you pay money for hosted Gmail. Regular free Gmail is still mined for ad purposes.

Microsoft doesn't do it for Outlook.com though.

• Options
          CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
          edited February 2018

They don't do it if you pay money for hosted Gmail. Regular free Gmail is still mined for ad purposes.

https://blog.google/products/gmail/g-suite-gains-traction-in-the-enterprise-g-suites-gmail-and-consumer-gmail-to-more-closely-align/

Looking this up to check my memory and that blog post says they were stopping data mining consumer Gmail in 2017. Doesnt give a specific date though.

Carpy on
        • Options
          JazzJazz Registered User regular

https://blog.google/products/gmail/g-suite-gains-traction-in-the-enterprise-g-suites-gmail-and-consumer-gmail-to-more-closely-align/

Looking this up to check my memory and that blog post says they were stopping data mining consumer Gmail in 2017. Doesnt give a specific date though.

There was this from Bloomberg too: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-23/google-will-stop-reading-your-emails-for-gmail-ads

Pertinent point:
          Ads will continue to appear inside the free version of Gmail, as promoted messages. But instead of scanning a user’s email, the ads will now be targeted with other personal information Google already pulls from sources such as search and YouTube.

• Options
          KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
          Ok, so my Moto X is starting to wear out a little bit. It might be time to start looking for a new one. Are there any good pure, or close to it Android phones that aren't crazy expensive Pixel stuff? Preferably with as few bloat apps as possible.

• Options
          minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
          Krieghund wrote: »
          Ok, so my Moto X is starting to wear out a little bit. It might be time to start looking for a new one. Are there any good pure, or close to it Android phones that aren't crazy expensive Pixel stuff? Preferably with as few bloat apps as possible.

At the $500 - $600 range, the OnePlus 5T is a solid contender.

At the sub $200 range, the Nokia 6 is an incredible choice.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
        • Options
          1. I know I said that a new android thread was coming last weekend, whcih was super bowl weekend so lol me that didn't happen. I'll get *something* up this weekend, even if the OP is less than complate.

2. There's T-Mobile documentation that the 3 year old Galaxy S6 and almost 3 year old Galaxy Note 5 are getting Oreo. Say what you will about the speed of Samsung Updates, updating 3 year old phones to a new OS version is something that no other OEM but google does, so this is good.

3. The Oreo rollout for the GS8 has begun. People on the beta are getting the final versions, and it's apparently rolling out to the unlocked models over the next week or so, with carriers coming at some point soon. That should bring a nice uptick to Oreo adoption.

• Options
          JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
          edited February 2018
          Krieghund wrote: »

At the $500 - $600 range, the OnePlus 5T is a solid contender.

At the sub $200 range, the Nokia 6 is an incredible choice.

RE: OnePlus 5T, click on the Computer Security thread to be aware of what you may be dealing with. Aside from the credit card thing (which has since been fixed, but I'd STILL pay via paypal, personally), all of it is a giant nothingburger, it's just the constant yoyo of "THE SKY IS FALLING -> oh wait it's nothing" is getting tiresome.

e: Oh wait, it's not the most recent page anymore. This post

Jragghen on
        • Options
          CormacCormac Registered User regular
          FWIW I love my 5T but the Essential Phone is still worth considering. Both phones have their issues but they're also both fantastic value for money.

There may also start being some good deals on the S8 when the S9 comes out in the next month or two.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
        • Options
        This discussion has been closed.