As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LGBTQIAU]: Bigger than bigots. Everyone in this thread is gorgeous and amazing FYI

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Damn, Rainfall, leave a little gorgeous for the rest of us?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Damn, Rainfall, leave a little gorgeous for the rest of us?

Ahahahahaha no.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    where's the rinzler

I demand the rinzler

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Dubh wrote: »
    where's the rinzler

I demand the rinzler

He is on the couch and wants to eat my makeup.
    9jseo66ebsev.jpg

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What is the process for changing your name in the US?

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    What is the process for changing your name in the US?

it varies from state to state

in california, all I had to do was file some court documents (including one to wave fees, because I'm financially fucked)... plus maybe something from a physician? that doesn't mean surgery

I can't remember all the details, because I'm extremely bad when it comes to paperwork

meanwhile, in Kentucky, I think you need evidence of a medical procedure to change gender, and I think the name stuff is relatively easy to do?

basically, the more awful the state government, the more of a pain in the ass it's gonna be

Miss me? Find me on:

edited February 2018
    In Alberta there's a form you fill out, plus getting fingerprinted by the RCMP, that's it. Gender markers require a notarized statement as well as a letter from a psychologist stating you're living fulltime but the good psychs will just write you one whenever.

Rainfall on
    this rinzler pleases me

Miss me? Find me on:

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Hmm interesting.

In the UK apparently all changing your name requires is for you to go "Yo my name is Gonzo now" and then your name is Gonzo. But to get people to believe you it helps to write it on nice paper using fancy words and ask some friends to sign it, which is called a deed poll. You can download free templates from a few websites. Then you just give that paper to the people you want to notify.

Apparently there is still no guarantee of the person believing it (I read something recently about Blizzard refusing to change the name on someone's account with a deed poll). But it should work for your passport and driving license and I assume most places accept them.

For some reason I always imagined a deed poll being this serious official thing that changed your name in some central government database of... everybody's name? Which I now realise is dumb.

Getting your gender changed or a new birth certificate is more difficult and requires proving to a panel that you have been fully transitioned for at least 2 years. I don't think medical stuff is necessary but at least the name change is needed to kick-start that 2 year countdown.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    In Aus name changes aren't too challenging - there was a guy in a company I used to work for named Meow Ludo Disco Gamma Meow Meow. I think he's running for parliament now..

Gender's a different story, seems like it's similar to UK - do the dance, get the paperwork from someone who's hopefully not shitty about it, etc.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So um, hot damn, @rainfall.
    Just hot damn

Also, you kinda remind me of Elizabeth Moss.

Just absolutely killing it.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Hmm interesting.

In the UK apparently all changing your name requires is for you to go "Yo my name is Gonzo now" and then your name is Gonzo. But to get people to believe you it helps to write it on nice paper using fancy words and ask some friends to sign it, which is called a deed poll. You can download free templates from a few websites. Then you just give that paper to the people you want to notify.

Apparently there is still no guarantee of the person believing it (I read something recently about Blizzard refusing to change the name on someone's account with a deed poll). But it should work for your passport and driving license and I assume most places accept them.

For some reason I always imagined a deed poll being this serious official thing that changed your name in some central government database of... everybody's name? Which I now realise is dumb.

Getting your gender changed or a new birth certificate is more difficult and requires proving to a panel that you have been fully transitioned for at least 2 years. I don't think medical stuff is necessary but at least the name change is needed to kick-start that 2 year countdown.

When I worked in the contact centre of the UK tax office a nervous-sounding lady asked me if she could change her name with us. I took the name down and changed it then and there, and she seemed shocked that it was so easy

It’s not like HMRC care, really - anybody could change their name in five minutes over the phone with us, but just don’t be surprised if your bank doesn’t cash your tax rebate cheque made out to Weedlord Bonerdragon

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Hmm interesting.

When I worked in the contact centre of the UK tax office a nervous-sounding lady asked me if she could change her name with us. I took the name down and changed it then and there, and she seemed shocked that it was so easy

It’s not like HMRC care, really - anybody could change their name in five minutes over the phone with us, but just don’t be surprised if your bank doesn’t cash your tax rebate cheque made out to Weedlord Bonerdragon

Only real issue I've had with name/gender marker changes was with the bank, who would only accept a certified deed poll (which you need to pay for). Every time I went to get it changed they would say "You can change your passport with this?".

I've taken my money elsewhere, fuck putting bureaucracy before people.

I'm curious which bank that was.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Grog wrote: »
    Only real issue I've had with name/gender marker changes was with the bank, who would only accept a certified deed poll (which you need to pay for). Every time I went to get it changed they would say "You can change your passport with this?".

I've taken my money elsewhere, fuck putting bureaucracy before people.

It took us about 10 years to get the bank that we have our business accounts with to accept that my grandfather was dead without he himself signing documents to that effect.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    self-discovery whinging ahoy
    had therapy for the first time in months last week and brought up gray ace as a possibility (vs suppressed libido from depression.) i put myself on the spot with it and didn't explain it well, which is fitting since i'm still figuring it out myself.

she pointed out that responsive arousal exists, so now i've got some homework to observe if that's consistently part of my thing.

i don't think they're mutually exclusive; i'm only bothered because i'm trying to generally sort out what's personality and what's pathology. plus the whole.. being unemployed and relying on my partner making any relationship-altering exploration have an unfortunate edge. but that's nothing new -- anxiety *jazzhands*

said partner has mostly been supportive, but i haven't really forced the idea of me being poly or bi. i've always jokingly countered assertions to my straightness with "I'm mostly straight," (having never been with a same-sex partner, which yes bi-erasure bullshit, but i carry a lot of self-doubt), and we started our relationship while i had a FWB and discussed polyamory then. he was ultimately uncomfortable with it, and i have maintained that i chose him, "not monogamy." over a decade plus.

i'm not even sure i'd want to be with anyone else or deal with the logistics, but i'm increasingly wanting his clear support that i'm not. .. het. i feel like i'm half in the closet.

self-doubt resurfaces, annoyance that i might need outside validation, and a niggling voice that says i should keep my mouth shut and just appreciate what i have. sigh.

i just feel i should know myself better, but a chunk of that is brain spiders/life being what it is. part of growth is change.

*insomnia thoughts*

lfchwLd.jpg

Natwest, though I get the impression most high street banks are the same.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Sorry if there was a void in the hotness continuum yesterday, seems like Rainfall and I sucked a lot of it out

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Agggggh y'all are all too cool for me to hang out with Q_Q

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

didn't you interview Jerry Holkins yesterday?

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Stage makeup class! https://imgur.com/gallery/nwT8i

Old age makeup and then basic contouring at the end there.

Nullzone wrote: »
    Sorry if there was a void in the hotness continuum yesterday, seems like Rainfall and I sucked a lot of it out

Yes yes yes that is so good.

Whatever, nerd. You can still sit with us.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018

Yeah. We spent several minutes talking about Louisiana food and trying to make pax hangout plans
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Nullzone wrote: »

Yes yes yes that is so good.

Whatever, nerd. You can still sit with us.

Even if I am VERY COLORFUL?

Erin The Red on
    That's so good! I love it!!

edited February 2018
    Oh look. My favorite part. (Ignore boob)

Erin The Red on
    If you go monk and spec one resist+resist all it's better than broad spectrum resistance, but otherwise regearing is a pain so just go resist all, good call.

Rainfall wrote: »
    If you go monk and spec one resist+resist all it's better than broad spectrum resistance, but otherwise regearing is a pain so just go resist all, good call.

Yeah. There's a high probability I'm a witch so I'm just gonna go with that. Probably need broad spectrum resistance due to the whole 'reagents' thing

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Why do people feel the need to make mean comments on random imgur posts?

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    self-discovery whinging ahoy
    had therapy for the first time in months last week and brought up gray ace as a possibility (vs suppressed libido from depression.) i put myself on the spot with it and didn't explain it well, which is fitting since i'm still figuring it out myself.

she pointed out that responsive arousal exists, so now i've got some homework to observe if that's consistently part of my thing.

i don't think they're mutually exclusive; i'm only bothered because i'm trying to generally sort out what's personality and what's pathology. plus the whole.. being unemployed and relying on my partner making any relationship-altering exploration have an unfortunate edge. but that's nothing new -- anxiety *jazzhands*

said partner has mostly been supportive, but i haven't really forced the idea of me being poly or bi. i've always jokingly countered assertions to my straightness with "I'm mostly straight," (having never been with a same-sex partner, which yes bi-erasure bullshit, but i carry a lot of self-doubt), and we started our relationship while i had a FWB and discussed polyamory then. he was ultimately uncomfortable with it, and i have maintained that i chose him, "not monogamy." over a decade plus.

i'm not even sure i'd want to be with anyone else or deal with the logistics, but i'm increasingly wanting his clear support that i'm not. .. het. i feel like i'm half in the closet.

self-doubt resurfaces, annoyance that i might need outside validation, and a niggling voice that says i should keep my mouth shut and just appreciate what i have. sigh.

i just feel i should know myself better, but a chunk of that is brain spiders/life being what it is. part of growth is change.

*insomnia thoughts*
    Responsive arousal is definitely a thing, if you can find a copy I'd suggest having a look at the book Come As You Are--it's a bit schlocky, but Dr Nagoski has done a lot of really interesting research into female arousal markers and how they kind of shrivel in long term monogamous relationships.
    That said knowing how your desire cycle works goes a long way to being able to communicate your sexual needs/un-needs to your partner(s), if nothing else it's SUPER VALIDATING to know that this is NORMAL.

And if you want to talk about being poly and bi in a long-term "straight" relationship, hmu as I am There right now and it's wild fuckin ride.

Mostly because people are assholes when they think they can hide behind a screenname

Also:
    Our thread is growing old. Anyone want to make the next one when we hit 100, or should I keep the train going?

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Yeah. We spent several minutes talking about Louisiana food and trying to make pax hangout plans

You: I'm not cool enough to be here
    Also you: Sup, I just interviewed one of the most pwoerful nerds in gaming and made plans to hang out.

That's my bank. Yay!

I guess you can just close your account and then open a new one with your new ID though?

• mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018

I had that - when I was posting one of my pics during the holiday hang out I hosted it on imgur at first (as it was larger than the posting limit for direct drop) and made the mistake of making it public.

During the roughly minute and a half between posting and realising my mistake, I got something like 4 really negative comments.

Yeah, thanks random internet arseholes; I already know I'm ugly, but cheers for the 'validation' :-S

mori1972 on
    It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
    edited February 2018
    Imgur is nasty. Post from twitter or instagram to here, IMO.

@TheRoadVirus your threads have been great so far so I am cool with you making the new one.

Just rolled over my facebook to the new name, finally. Feels so goooooood.

Rainfall on
    Oh wait I didn't say in here. Name change documents are submitted!

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I think quebec's had the worst name change process I've heard of

That's my bank. Yay!

I guess you can just close your account and then open a new one with your new ID though?

Yep. I even explained to them how bizarre it was that I could open a new account with them, but couldn't change my current account.

It's part of the reason I got passport done first, it's made all the other ID changes easier. No GRC needed, just a deed poll, letter from GP and some proof I'm using the name.

Psykoma wrote: »

How's it around there/here?

How do you prove you're using the new name if you're still in the process of trying to get people to use the new name?

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Psykoma wrote: »

How's it around there/here?

1. Submit a request for preliminary analysis explaining why you want to change your name.
    2. If preliminary analaysis is approved, complete official application, including sworn statement in front of a person authorized to witness sworn statements, pay ~$150.
    3. Once applicaiton's been made, place two ads in consecutive weeks in the official quebec legal Gazette, detailing your old name, new name, and home address, at your own cost (~200$).
    4. Place two ads in consecutive weeks in a local newspaper, again detailing your old name, new name and home address, at your own cost (~$200).

Send in proof of all of the above, wait 8-10 months to give the public a chance to register objections.
    Finally get your name change.
    Also of course both journals are also digital so someone could conceivably look up what your home address is when you're submitting the change, as well as your deadname. I feel like I should also note that I no longer live at the address listed in my public notices.

That's the process as it existed when I changed my name many years ago, and I just looked up the process now to verify that I had remembered correctly, and they have added an exemption from having to give public notice if the name change is due to gender identity, so that's nice and makes the whole process pretty decent.

Psykoma on
This discussion has been closed.