As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    That's way more new stuff than I was expecting for DoK, I am unreasonably excited!

But, yeah, the persistent rumour has it that Morathi has two models, and she can maybe transform between them during a battle? Or something. I really like the look of the regular Morathi model on it's own, so a bigger, monstrous version follows suite I can't wait!

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I didn't realise that the Skaven war band for Shadespire had already been shown

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LbaxfuknZWE

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

That... seems like the most boring possible choice for Skaven?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Well looks are everything I am curious about their kit and playstyle

How would I talk my brother into playing Sharespire if I have the basic game and the orc warband

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I love Shadespire. Taking my Orc deck to a tournament in a couple of weeks. It’s doing pretty well against my local club anyway. The plan is for the two less good orcs to sit at the back and play around with objectives while the leader and the guy with the giant axe defend them and snipe opportunity kills.

Most of the cards are either movement shenanigans to ensure I end the turn on objectives or cards I can burn through ASAP to try and draw Shardcaller (the upgrade that lets you swap objectives around).

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Overall Shadespire seems to have aimed slightly too small scale-wise for anything that exciting to appear in terms of models, but apparently the gameplay's tight?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The Undead gang has a lot of character but most of the other gangs are a bit boring looking.

I don't hink it's the fault of the scale. Even bog standard rats and orcs and dwarfs can be designed looking like individuals, they just didn't.

honovere on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    honovere wrote: »
    The Undead gang has a lot of character but most of the other gangs are a bit boring looking.

I don't hink it's the fault of the scale. Even bog standard rats and orcs and dwarfs can be designed looking like individuals, they just didn't.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed that they used blorcs for the orruk gang, even though it's brand new sculpts. I just don't think that old style of blorc armor looks good compared to the new Ironjawz stuff.

• Options
    They could use some more interesting concepts maybe. Something like a new interpretation of Ruglud's Armoured Orcs and the like.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    They could use some more interesting concepts maybe. Something like a new interpretation of Ruglud's Armoured Orcs and the like.

Yeah, this is more what I'm getting at re: scale; "scope" might've been a better word. They're doing a tiny handful of guys per team and since they're pretty explicitly not elites (relatively-speaking, I guess, where the Stormcast are concerned), they don't get the detail and attention you might on a named 40k guy or the custom kits for building your own particular Warboss.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Shadespire teams seem to be deliberately based on the lowest ranked unit of a given army (Liberators, Bloodreavers, Bonerattle skellies, etc.), and aim to match the style of those kits I guess? I think the SCE, Khorne and undead are still nice little minis though!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    They’re also aiming to be intro minis with push fit build and not crazy levels of detail to paint, so that suits the lower level guys more.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    That's a good point.
    I was playing a fair bit of Shadespire recently, it's a solid little game!

Also some FAQs came out for AoS, fairly big changes to some of the top class tourney lists, clarifying what counts as a 'set up' and such, also preventing stackable Blood Shields in time for the new DoK battletome and other little quick fixes.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    My big question about the new Witch/Dark aelves is - why are they an Order tome? I would think they'd fit far better in Destruction, if not flat out Chaos (snake bodies!). Putting them in with Order makes sense only because they're trying to drive home this whole "united elf nation" thing but Morathi was outside that power structure anyway.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    As the dude writing for the GW Facebook page said, order is about civilisation (specifically, living in cities) and also not being dead. Morathi reckons she helped build the first cities in the Realms (and she’s kinda old enough to have a legit claim to that for the old world too, depending on whose cities you mean) and she has a pathological personal hatred of chaos now (especially Slaanesh) due to being eaten by it and somehow escaping.
    Destruction is all about mindless, well, destruction; tearing down civilisation to use their bricks as hearthstones, their thatch as kindling, and their flags as tent fabric. Nothing Morathi or most any even nearly-sane aelf would have anything to do with.

P.S. if you want destruction-elves they seem to be ever on the horizon, like a mirage; the alleged Cthulhu-worshipping sea-aelves that probably don’t actually exist are a prime candidate for that sort of tomfoolery.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Where is the new FAQ?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Overall Shadespire seems to have aimed slightly too small scale-wise for anything that exciting to appear in terms of models, but apparently the gameplay's tight?

But mah warplock jezzails and ratling gunners. I mean, I understand why the rat-ogres or whatever wouldn't fit, but they have cool small-guy stuff besides cloak and daggers.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

But mah warplock jezzails and ratling gunners. I mean, I understand why the rat-ogres or whatever wouldn't fit, but they have cool small-guy stuff besides cloak and daggers.

Clan Eshin assassins would have been neat but like I said I am curious about the cards they get and how they play as if they can do rat things like dash and hide in cover for a sneak attack then yes I would get them

• Options
    It’s a very melee focused game currently. I can’t see gunners getting in on the action unless they had bizarrely short range.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Slingers might, though. Or javelineers when the (semi-inevitable) seraphon squad drops. Would need to be weak tho, for balance. Either the ranged guy is extremely squishy (like, 1 HP or something) or the attack only hits on crits…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    As the dude writing for the GW Facebook page said, order is about civilisation (specifically, living in cities) and also not being dead. Morathi reckons she helped build the first cities in the Realms (and she’s kinda old enough to have a legit claim to that for the old world too, depending on whose cities you mean) and she has a pathological personal hatred of chaos now (especially Slaanesh) due to being eaten by it and somehow escaping.
    Destruction is all about mindless, well, destruction; tearing down civilisation to use their bricks as hearthstones, their thatch as kindling, and their flags as tent fabric. Nothing Morathi or most any even nearly-sane aelf would have anything to do with.

P.S. if you want destruction-elves they seem to be ever on the horizon, like a mirage; the alleged Cthulhu-worshipping sea-aelves that probably don’t actually exist are a prime candidate for that sort of tomfoolery.

Yeah, Morathi is actually older than Sigmar. She was alive during the first war against chaos in the old world. Like 2000 years before he came around.

• Options
    Yeah, it is a bit of shame that the Skaven weren't

(a) Skyre but maybe because they've always been a bit random with their warmachines and stuff, it didn't really suit what GW are trying to make a competitive game

(b) Eshin or Mors (Stormvermin), but perhaps that would have been too elite when the faction has never really been that overall.

Maybe once we see an AoS Skaven release, we'd see another warband further down the line.

As Clanrat models though, I'd say they're pretty good, although I could do with my Skaven having a bit more fur (they seem to be losing it with each model release).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Isn't the boss a Stormvermin?

• Options

He is, but I think he is the only one; I wouldn't have minded seeing all of them as Stormvermin (or Black furred, which would include Eshin gutter runners, as they tend to be the more elite killers for Skaven).

I just think it's weird that we've got a swarm of 5 here, and in the other settings, five Skaven (4 of which look to be Clanrats) against 4 Dwarves, Orcs, etc... wouldn't really be up to the task, but then this is purely down to visuals (I suspect their rules will help support the description of swarm).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options

Unless the hat styles on them have changed, it looks like there are at least 2 Stormvermin on the squad?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    The Skaven leader can bring back dead rats, so you actually can have more than the 5 over the course of the game.

• Options
    Submitted my decks for the tournament. I've submitted a pretty polished objective holding Orc list I actually intend to use and an untested gonzo aggressive Stormcast list purely for the psych out value (I assume lists are going to be public) and to give me something fun to play in the fourth round if it all goes wrong and I'm 3-0 down by that point.

I can post up lists if anyone is interested to that level?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The Skaven leader can bring back dead rats, so you actually can have more than the 5 over the course of the game.

Yeah, Skellies were endlessly regenerative but slow. Skaven seem to be endlessly regenerative and fast which could be interesting.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Hi warhammer fantasy/AoS folks.

So I am stalking over from the 40k thread because I think I finally figured out who to buy for my AoS army. My group has a very consistent Tuesday night AoS group and they let me play a game a few months back as vamps with blood knights. I like the rules and since 8th and AoS have some crossover I started thinking how I can get my best bang for my buck.

Initially that meant Slaanesh. My 40k army is a Slaanesh themed Chaos Marine army but I have also learned I hate painting Slaanesh daemons. I have 20 daemonettes that are just on the, "maybe later" paint queue. And with the new Thousands Sons book coming out and the fact that Tzeentch stuff has had a bunch of nice kits released I started looking that way.

So I am now looking at starting a Tzeentch army. A lot of the stuff has cross over so I get a 2nd 40k army (Tsons with lots of Tzaangors) and an AoS army. But the internet is describing how they play. I have read the rules. I know it is magic heavy and has some good range attacks. But the big question are they fun? I like the versatility of my CSM. One week I am smashing faces with close combat, the next I am shooting them from across the map or a mix of both.

The other thing I am considering would be a death army but I am waiting on the Book of Nagash if I do that.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Tzeentch are fun imo, they have the best allegiance ability in the game in the form of the Destiny Dice, but it also manages to be really fluffy and cool at the same time.
    They can be a bit of a tricky army to learn, because there is a fair bit of skullduggery which goes into working out when is best to use certain spells, how to use splitting Horror units to mess with your opponents movement/charges, etc.

The main focus is spells, of course, but the infantry Tzaangors can be a deceptively solid melee block, which is both decent in combat and a good way to pin enemy units in place so you can blast them with more magic. The disc mounted Tzaangors can also be pretty tasty in combat, even the Skyfires, thanks to the disc attacks. Your main damage output is going to come from mortal wound spells/shooting for the most part, but there are options to mix it up.

• Options
    I took the plunge yesterday.

Bought a getting started box of Slaves to Darkness and Tzeentch Daemons with some Tzaangor Skyfires and a Tzaangor Shaman. Put on order the Tzeentch battleforce since someone bought it Saturday. My guess for the Tzaangors for a TSons army. I mean I am doing that too but...

I built the Chaos sorc and the warriors last night. I have 12 chaos warriors now. Can I run all 12 or are they always multiples of 10?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    You pay in multiples of the base cost, so 12 cost as much as 20?

• Options
    You pay in multiples of the base cost, so 12 cost as much as 20?

So like power levels in 40k? I will just run 10 and rotate the 12 for looks which is fine.

Being the nerd that likes running stuff based on favored numbers it is why I do points not pl for 40k. For example 6 Noise marines cost the same as 10 noise marines in PL but not with points as I pay by model.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Yeah, in AoS units only come in multiples of the base, some of the kits get a raw deal in that regard, including Chaos Warriors, where the models in the box don't match up with the proper unit size. They're few and far between though, I think it might actually just be Chaos Warriors and Dryads maybe?

• Options
    Still I am waiting on the Daughters of Khaine before I dive back into the game {even though all I really did was paint since I knew of no one that played Warhammer}

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I'm still undecided on what to collect but I have one Stormcast liberator that comes with the getting started in AoS magazine so I can practice some painting before I paint whatever my main will be.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    A lot of the start collecting box also don't have right unit sizes either which can be more of an issue. I think most SCE group boxes are made to fit in if you bought [other big box of SCE models like a starter]. They are kind of a mess unless you want to buy 2 big boxes of units to even everything out.

My advice is don't build the extras till you can use them, as you can convert or use the bits in other models you are converting.or ebay to round them out.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey hey! Guess who has two thumbs and just won one of those Shadespire glass trophy thingies (when it eventually gets delivered to the store)?

I am soooo tired. Four best of three rounds in a row is mentally exhausting. They had originally planned a cut to top 4 at that point so potentially two more best of three games! Thankfully it was called by mutual knackered agreement and as I was the only person with a clean win sheet I got the top prize.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Because I am literally insane and/or a bit full of myself, I've just written up an article on my Shadespire deck.

http://arbbl.com/wp/2018/02/11/orkjectives-toms-tournament-winning-shadespire-deck/

MhCw7nZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.