As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Might move soon. first time in 13 years. need advice.

Ok so for the past like ~13 years my brother and I have been living in the same place, a little trailer park. Well recently we got a letter saying the city is starting forclosure proceedings on the property because the owner of the park hasn't been paying property tax to the city.

We still need to get legal advice from an attorney about specifics but like, my brother and my names are not anywhere on the paperwork for this trailer or the lot, it's all my mom and her husband. My mom is saying that we should be able to basically just move and they will deal with the ramifications of the foreclosure and what not.

Well that brings me to the fact that well, I've not moved in 13 years and when I did I was just a teenager moving out because my mom's husband didn't want us in his house. So I have no experience with it.

I know our basic options would be an apartment or another trailer, a house is more than likely out of our price range for the foreseeable future given we are both on disability and have a limited income as it is. Though I am looking into part time work soonish.

I guess I'm just looking for general advice about how to look for apartments as I've never lived in one, though there are going to be challenges with that option given my brother's stimming is to run around the house very loudly.

And if we do get another trailer it's probably going to have to be in my name given I actually have credit (though admittedly not great credit but better than none) and I have no experience with mortgages or shopping for something like that. Though there is always the option of renting to own a cheaper older model trailer but we'd probably have many of the same issues we've had for years with this one like enormous heating bills and the like.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    As you mention large heating bills, the first thing you’ll want to do is check to see if you feel any cold spots around doors or windows. It’s winter so this should be easy to pick up on. At the last place I rented I had a door that didn’t seal well at all and it resulted in ridiculous gas bills. It didn’t help that we had a landlord that was slow to address any maintenance requests.

This leads me to my second tip, though this is more the result of that singularly bad experience. I tend to prefer to rent from an actual leasing/rental company as opposed to a singular individual that just so happens to have a property/condo/trailer that they are renting out. The reason being that there tends to be more professionalism and maintenance requests are handled much more quickly. They also are much easier to search for reviews online to see if they are slumlords or known to steal you security deposit or anything.

Another thing I always check when looking at a new place is what the cable/internet options are, though how much this matters to you may vary. I work from home a lot so a crappy internet provider like Frontier isn’t an option because it could mean me being unable to work or perform other essential functions.

If you go the apartment route, since you mentioned your brother needing to run around and make noise you may want to see if you can get a ground floor unit so you don’t agitate the people below you, or conversely if hearing something like that above you would cause issues for you or your brother look for a top floor unit (but beware these ones are not fun to lug furniture into and out of when moving, or when carrying groceries in). You may also want to see when your touring if you can hear your future neighbors as this may indicate thin walls which I can also speak from experience and say are not fun.

Other than that, just make sure you tour a few or do a lot of online research on a site like apartments.com so you can get an idea of what you like/need and what’s available in your area.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Not sure where you live, but if you and your brother are both on disability there's a pretty good chance you might qualify for either subsidized housing or housing assistance. Depending on the timeframe of when you have to be out of the trailer getting that worked out in time might be tricky.

I know here in Madison there are also a couple of non-profit organizations that assist with housing placement and tenants' rights issues for disabled and low income folks so there might be something like that where you are.

In terms of finding places I've had good luck with Craigslist, although you have to be willing to sort through the crap to find the good stuff.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Start hitting up liquor and grocery stores for their empty boxes, you're gonna need so many boxes.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Also UHaul has a box donation program for free at some locations, and honestly the cheapest boxes around other than free.

Get help packing. Packing is more time consuming than you think it is. Even packing up 400 square feet can take a week or two without help. It sucks. If you can't get help with the moving, rent an appliance dolly. For 15 bucks it is easily the best money you can spend. I soloed a 250 pound solid wood Sofa with one.

Apartments are cheaper to heat than trailers in general.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    When looking at complexes ask anyone that you run into about their experience renting there.

Kyougu wrote: »
    When looking at complexes ask anyone that you run into about their experience renting there.

Also check the complex during the day and the night.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    As far as packing goes I'm sure I'll be able to manage to scrape together boxes and will have plenty of help with getting it packed and moved.

My main concern at the moment is finding a place given that last time we moved I didn't do any of the looking since I was like 17 so I don't even know how to start that kinda thing.

I don't even know how to live in an apartment complex since I've never lived in one so I'm kinda iffy on even looking at apartments over another trailer situation.

• JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    A similar situation---another trailer---sounds like a great idea, given that it would (1) be familiar, especially to your brother, (2) provide some space for the noise to hopefully dissipate before it hits your neighbors, and (3) still be relatively cheap.

Google Maps, to my surprise, actually responds to the queries "trailer park" and "mobile homes," which look like actual trailer parks and not RV spaces like I'd expected. So, try that. Then you can use Street View to sort of look around without having to drive out. I didn't find any trailer parks ("mobile home communities" appears to be the keyword) through apartments.com, but I did through mhvillage.com so maybe try that.

That said, driving around is often a great way to find a place and eliminate places that are too sketchy or whatever for you.

I'd forgotten about how much fun Street View is. Too bad they don't seem to go into the trailer parks themselves, but you can get a pretty good view from the surrounding streets.

Keep good notes!!! As you look around, everything will start to blur together, so you need to mark down the name, cost, extra costs, good impressions, and bad impressions. Taking some cell phone pics is good too: make the first picture of the rental sign with the name of the place, then you'll know the next few photos show that place.

Good luck!

Edit: Don't forget the sun. I hate glare. Think about which windows will get hit from the east (sunrise) and west (sunset). North-south places may be better in some geographies. And pay attention to street lights or security lights that might shine through at night. And pay attention to flagpoles that could make a clang-clang-clang noise as the halyard hooks hit the pole. Also dogs. Fucking dogs. That's why visiting your short list both day and night is a good idea.

Justice on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Also UHaul has a box donation program for free at some locations, and honestly the cheapest boxes around other than free.

Get help packing. Packing is more time consuming than you think it is. Even packing up 400 square feet can take a week or two without help. It sucks. If you can't get help with the moving, rent an appliance dolly. For 15 bucks it is easily the best money you can spend. I soloed a 250 pound solid wood Sofa with one.

Dolly's are one of those things where, if you're ever considering renting one, you might as well just buy one for another $40.

You can use it for so many things, like rearranging furniture or moving a heavy appliance to get behind it (and you don't have to rent it again).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Own a dolly and a 4 square wheel. Future self will love you for it forever.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    If/when you have the budget, I would recommend getting plastic storage bins. Easier to store things in them, you can label them, they're waterproof, they last forever, and if you leave something in storage or don't want to unpack it you can just leave it.
    However, you can fall into the trap where you put all the bins with the things you don't want in the corner and ignore them because they're mostly safe.

I do get that that's expensive, and may not be feasible, but definitely something I recommend for when you, or anyone, can do it. A lot of places that sell bins may still have them for sale, as they always go on sale at the beginning of the year for whatever reason.

I just looked at a website with listing of mobile homes and prices and such and now I'm hyperventilating.

Like all the advice about actually getting my body and possessions moved to somewhere else is great but I'm trying to stay calm in a very new and uncomfortable life development and honestly that part worries me the least.

• CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    This is going to suck. Moving sucks. But you'll get through it. And then you'll be prepared for the next time you move, so you'll feel more secure when this is over. You'll know what to do, and you it won't be as bad.

Before you start poking around online, search and see if there are non-for-profits in your area that help navigate your state's social services for low income and disabled people. (My brother worked for one when he was in college. They basically listen to what your situation is, tell you what your options are, and help you navigate the paperwork.) You probably have more options than you think.

Also, apartment prices online can actually be jacked up by like $100, to pay for the online listing. If you can, walk or drive around the area you're thinking about living in, and see if there are signs advertising rental agencies. Write down the agency name and number, and call them directly.

• NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Like some others have recommended , I would also recommend getting a dolly. I bought a cheaper one with inflatable wheels like you see UPS drivers use. Not sure if it could handle furniture but it’s great for boxes and much easier to take up or down steps.

Last time I moved we barely even used the dolly I rented from UHaul because the one I bought was much easier to use.Moving still sucked but it cut down the time and effort significantly.

Moving can be super emotional. We get used to a certain place. I’m currently moving from a dump to a nice place and sometimes I catch myself regretting it even though objectively it’s better in almost every way. For your own situation try to think of the positive, there must be things about your current place you don’t like or can improve, this is your chance to do so.

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bowen wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

Dolly's are one of those things where, if you're ever considering renting one, you might as well just buy one for another $40.

You can use it for so many things, like rearranging furniture or moving a heavy appliance to get behind it (and you don't have to rent it again).
    The thing is appliance Dolly’s are about 150 to 200 bones. A regular dolly is about 40 or 50 and if you rent you might as well buy, but if you have some heavy shit, or you are taller than 6 ft you want the appliance dolly. The additional lever length makes a huge difference

my mom's husband owns a dolly so moving the few heavier furniture things I own won't be an issue.

I just don't know how to find a place I can afford that isn't a junk heap or one of the subsidized housing complexes in the area which are invariably junk heaps with the added problem of being filled to the brim with junkies and drug dealers given this is the Midwest and the whole opioid epidemic.

Also I want to avoid apartments if possible still because one I'm just really unfamiliar with living in one and two my brother's stimming is really loud. also the whole potential bad neighbor problem is common for apartments in the area as I understand it for the same reason as the previous paragraph.

we are on disability but we are on the upper end of income for it because we get it based on what our dad paid in since we were disabled before we were 22. so like we could get another trailer as long as the monthly price works out but it's stressful to think about going into that much more debt if I even qualify given my current credit balances.

really I'm just stressing about how the searching and application processes will work and how we can make ends meet once we get something. like I said moving our actual stuff is pretty much a non issue in my mind. lots of our furniture is probably just getting left here as well as our appliances since most trailers come with those installed. the thing I have most of is cookware probably?

I’ve used hotpads.com before to find an apartment. So renting a town house or house is generally about 20%-30% more expensive than an equivalent apartment. If you are used to trailers, then you may want to rent another, the price for trailer and lot rentals are close to the cost of apartments.
    Although the purchase price of mobile homes are pretty reasonable.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I would suggest renting an apartment with a year lease

That won't lock you into anything too long term

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Ground floor apartments would be better if you know your brother is going to make noise on the floor - the ground floor is no-one’s ceiling.

ok so we actually looked into a newer trailer at a near by park. it would be a little more expensive but it's nice and new and they have natural gas so the heating will be cheaper and such.

The problem is probably going to be somehow saving for the deposit (one month's rent) and the first month's rent to move in. while also paying the bills we have ongoing here like the propane that needs filled again already (500 bucks right there) since basically live month to month and don't have any savings already since this is all happening on short notice.

not to mention the cost of boxes and a uhaul for a day.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Your brother sounds severely autistic - does he have a social worker who could put you in touch with places to help with the deposit? Otherwise I could see you guys becoming homeless due to lack of cashflow, which isn't good. Or do you have family who could give a loan or gift of money, or a room for a while while you save up?

Well realistically we don't even know if they are going to evict tenants here yet, we've only just gotten a first notice about them beginning procedures against the park. My understanding is that we have to receive a 90 day notice if they intend to actually put us all out which who know when or if it'll ever get to that stage, us tenants aren't exactly being kept in the loop on if the landlord will just pay his tax bill or if the city will sell it to another landlord or what the deal is.

And yeah my brother is involved with the board of developmental disabilities here but we haven't heard back from his case worker yet, but we did only think to email her yesterday so she should get in touch soon.

I also asked my case manager at the local mental health center if he could ask around about services that can help with this kind of thing but it could take him a while to find that kind of stuff.

I mean worst case scenario I imagine we get a 90 day notice at some and I don't know if we need to legally keep paying rent at that point, if not we could probably save up much more easily? That's something we need to talk to an attorney about.

As for family helping out the only family that ever really helps us is my mom who is my brother's payee for social security and she is kinda doing all she can currently.