As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/9/16996882/mayfair-games-lookout-games-acquired-by-asmodee-north-america-catan

I don't think I've seen anyone discussing this - Mayfair Games is shutting down entirely. They have sold their entire game catalog to Asmodee, who has also acquired Lookout Games (makers of Agricola and Caverna).

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Oh wow. Mayfair gone.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I had asked my wife for the Isle of Skye expansion for Xmas. It kept getting delayed and we heard that Mayfair / Lookout was in trouble. I am not sure if it will ever make it to the US now. I am trying to think of publishers NOT owned by Asmodee and all I can think of is Blue Orange and CMON.

NNID = Zepp914
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/9/16996882/mayfair-games-lookout-games-acquired-by-asmodee-north-america-catan

I don't think I've seen anyone discussing this - Mayfair Games is shutting down entirely. They have sold their entire game catalog to Asmodee, who has also acquired Lookout Games (makers of Agricola and Caverna).

Any chance that's functionally a retirement plan? I don't know anyone at Mayfair but they've been in business a long time.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I don't think Asmodee owns Rio Grande Games (yet).

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Not sure where else this would fit, but anyone here aware of an inkedGaming equivalent for deckboxes? Legion supplies does custom deckboxes but uh...I don't want to buy 1000+ at $2.12 per. There are a few places I've found that do high end wooden ones but I just kinda want to get a custom box made that is along the lines of those $2 ultrapro ones. Just with custom artwork.

I've considered just making stickers at Staples or something and going that route, and I've seen reports of templates for tuckboxes with heavy cardstock/lamination but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

Hedgethorn wrote: »

Yeah, but something happened to Rio Grande a few years ago. They used to publish a bunch of the popular German games in the US, but somehow Zman (now Asmodee) took all of their contracts. The only thing I know of that they still make is the Dominion expansions.

NNID = Zepp914
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I bought some Prolatch tackle boxes for Terraforming Mars last week. They work great! I'd like something similar for Pandemic but it would need to be about half the size. My bits baggies are starting to tear up. Anyone have anything they use?

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

Yeah, but something happened to Rio Grande a few years ago. They used to publish a bunch of the popular German games in the US, but somehow Zman (now Asmodee) took all of their contracts. The only thing I know of that they still make is the Dominion expansions.

Race for the Galaxy too. I was thinking of Carcassonne as well when I first posted, but that is Z-man now, I realize.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven report, scenario 2
    We got pasted. After clearing the first room pretty efficiently, our Brute ran into the second room and got mangled by the elite archers. He had to lose a couple cards immediately to not die to that onslaught, and with a few more losses on the following turns he was exhausted much quicker than everyone else. Not helping matters was that the first three of the boss' actions were summoning Living Bones.

That fight just feels like an absurd wall of beef to fight through, even more than the first scenario. Are we missing some cards for the boss deck or something? 6/8 involve generating more enemies, either directly via a spawn or indirectly by opening a door. The scenario seems like it would be significantly easier if you got lucky and he drew his two attacks early, especially if that causes him to leave his fortified bunker.

At least I managed to sneak in and claim the treasure chest before we all died horribly. We will probably do better now that we know what's coming. And hopefully we'll get better at dealing better with archers...seems like opening the door and then ducking back out of the room to bait them forward will probably work better than opening the door and eating their attacks at maximum range.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    We got pasted. After clearing the first room pretty efficiently, our Brute ran into the second room and got mangled by the elite archers. He had to lose a couple cards immediately to not die to that onslaught, and with a few more losses on the following turns he was exhausted much quicker than everyone else. Not helping matters was that the first three of the boss' actions were summoning Living Bones.

That fight just feels like an absurd wall of beef to fight through, even more than the first scenario. Are we missing some cards for the boss deck or something? 6/8 involve generating more enemies, either directly via a spawn or indirectly by opening a door. The scenario seems like it would be significantly easier if you got lucky and he drew his two attacks early, especially if that causes him to leave his fortified bunker.

At least I managed to sneak in and claim the treasure chest before we all died horribly. We will probably do better now that we know what's coming. And hopefully we'll get better at dealing better with archers...seems like opening the door and then ducking back out of the room to bait them forward will probably work better than opening the door and eating their attacks at maximum range.
    There's a bit of luck on how many monsters you are fighting, typically in a situation like that you don't need to kill all monsters however, so consider nuking the boss/objective.

FYI you don't keep chests on encounter failures.

OrokosPA.png
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Any chance that's functionally a retirement plan? I don't know anyone at Mayfair but they've been in business a long time.

Mayfair's wording on the subject makes it sound exactly like a retirement. Asmodee already having gotten Catan rights from them, it makes sense to transfer the rest as well rather than have them gone completely. This is a pretty good article on the probable effects of the transition. Author is the owner of a great FLGS and who also happens to be the instructor of a college marketing course; he has a column here out every Monday and always has very insightful industry commentary.

https://icv2.com/articles/columns/view/39598/rolling-initiative-so-long-mayfair-what-it-means-you

• taoofshinseitaoofshinsei Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »

There's a bit of luck on how many monsters you are fighting, typically in a situation like that you don't need to kill all monsters however, so consider nuking the boss/objective.

I don't think the bolded part in the spoiler is true.
    My understanding is once you pick up a chest, you immediately get the contents. Likewise you keep all the gold you picked up and XP earned from actions.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Yeah, this is where someone with invisible can really shine. but careful door opening is pretty important stuff even without it. You also have to watch out for that damn scenario quest that someone can draw that has them trying to open doors before the room has been cleared.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited February 2018

There are a few ways to proceed, but luck is going to play a role in any case. Best thing is probably to focus all attacks on the boss to get him down as quickly as possible and then mop up whatever's left. The scoundrel and spellweaver especially have some ways to generate a lot of damage very quickly with just a bit of luck. Also, if you're playing a 4-player game, you can hope to get lucky via component limits -- if he opens all the doors quickly enough, there aren't enough corpses to put out, and the rulebook says you don't place a monster if there are no available standees of that type; likewise, summoning fails if there's no available spot adjacent to the summoner.

That said, if he summons a skeleton for his first three actions, you're probably in trouble unless you have some way of stunning the skeletons or diverting their attention (via summons or decoys or whatever).

Hedgethorn on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven doors:
    It’s a super game-y and arbitrary mechanic but as mentioned invisible door openers or opening doors at very low initiative are the only safe ways to do it.

Unfortunately that scenario specifically says you have to kill all revealed enemies, so anything new that gets summoned is that much more work you have to do to finish.

Also the scenario rules give each player three curses to start with, which can really hose your ability to put out enough damage to win in a timely fashion.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    A Gloomhaven question. Some enemies have a ranged attack as part of their statline. Are all their attacks (even if not explicitly called out as being ranged on the action card) at range, or is it just the ones that are called out as being ranged attacks on the action card.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    I think if a monster has a range value (rather than a dash) listed on their card, then all of its attacks are ranged.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    played rising sun yesterday

it was a disaster but i kind of want to play more?

i played the fox clan and i think maybe those guys are really hard to use. I kept getting stuck acting first or last and with bad tiebreaks

sig.gif
    I think if a monster has a range value (rather than a dash) listed on their card, then all of its attacks are ranged.

Ranged unless otherwise specified on the attack card. (And note that Retaliate is never ranged; it always only hits adjacent enemies.)

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Top of my head

Puerto Rico
    Power Grid
    Race For The Galaxy
    Roll For The Galaxy
    Concordia
    Dominion
    Galaxy trucker

Bunch more, they're got a really solid catalog I dunno

Ah_Pook on

i played the fox clan and i think maybe those guys are really hard to use. I kept getting stuck acting first or last and with bad tiebreaks

thats encouraging. still have not received mine yet...

What was disastrous? I'm hoping someone in my game group backed so I can try this one out, as I have pretty much no interest in buying myself a copy.

Ah_Pook wrote: »

Top of my head

Puerto Rico
    Power Grid
    Race For The Galaxy
    Roll For The Galaxy
    Concordia
    Dominion
    Galaxy trucker

Bunch more, they're got a really solid catalog I dunno

That is a pretty good list. I am glad they are doing well. When I look on my game shelf, I see the older expansions for Carcassonne, Stone Age, Zooloretto, etc are all Rio Grande and the new ones are all Zman, so I felt sorry for them.

NNID = Zepp914
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So I'm looking for two types of game recommendations:

1) A game good for a group of 4-10 people. Not a typical 'party game', but something that's fairly quick to explain to people whose idea of a complex boardgame is something like Monopoly. Something I can pitch to people without their eyes glazing over. Yet at the same time has enough depth and replay value in it to be a worthwhile pick up to someone who likes really complex and strategic games.

2) A dark and unforgiving game. Something that captures a feel kind of like Dark Souls or Darkest Dungeon. For reference, I find the theme and brutality of Kingdom Death to be really interesting but I'm very turned off by the price. So I'm looking for a reasonable alternative.

On another note, I played two games of Caverna this weekend with different groups. I reaaaaally like this game.

edited February 2018
    Code Names for 1. and Code Names for 2 after someone screws up royally and you pick the assassin. Sure its not 'complex board gaming' but its a stepping stone.

azith28 on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

1) A game good for a group of 4-10 people. Not a typical 'party game', but something that's fairly quick to explain to people whose idea of a complex boardgame is something like Monopoly. Something I can pitch to people without their eyes glazing over. Yet at the same time has enough depth and replay value in it to be a worthwhile pick up to someone who likes really complex and strategic games.

2) A dark and unforgiving game. Something that captures a feel kind of like Dark Souls or Darkest Dungeon. For reference, I find the theme and brutality of Kingdom Death to be really interesting but I'm very turned off by the price. So I'm looking for a reasonable alternative.

On another note, I played two games of Caverna this weekend with different groups. I reaaaaally like this game.

That's a huge range of players

Avalon will do 5-10 and is the best high player count / fairly quick hidden traitors deduction game (BSG is the best slightly longer one at 2-3hours but only plays 5-6)

Masquerade is a more chaotic deduction game that allows up to 13

Really the thing to do is probably to pick up a couple of solid games that do 4-6 and split your group

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Ghost Stories is pretty unforgiving and fairly spooky, but does only sit 4.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular

Ranged unless otherwise specified on the attack card. (And note that Retaliate is never ranged; it always only hits adjacent enemies.)

I believe that second part is wrong. Aren't there enemies who have things like "Retaliate X Range Y"

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    For 1) Codenames and One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

Awesome thanks guys.

For a bit more information:

For number 1, I'll be heading to a cottage this weekend and I've been asked to bring board games. There will be about 10 people there but not everyone will play, and I'm sure there will be some couples teams going as well. I've played Secret Hitler and Joking Hazard with this group of people in the past with success. But I don't want to just play the same game if I can avoid it, and would love to play something a bit more strategic like Caverna for example, but I'm afraid the group will balk at such a game. Both in terms of the number of rules, and thematically.

For number 2, I'm just looking for something for my own personal group, so 3-5 players is nice.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Ah, so they've focused on printing money.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.

1) Paris Connection and Medici play up to 6 and are really good easy to pick up games, while still being interesting/fun for gamers. cant think of anything that plays more than that that isnt either way more complex or a social deduction or party game. if you want a social deduction game ONUW and Insider are fun imo. ive heard Secret Hitler is good but i havent played it and i really dislike the theme personally. oh Captain Sonar is a thing too, though i havent played it myself to 100% vouch for it either in terms of ease of rules or fun.

2) Cave Evil is the one that comes to mind, though youd probably be paying as much for a secondhand copy as you would KDM at this point.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular

WOW. You're totally right, but we've been playing this wrong for, like, ten scenarios now. We've only been doing ranged attacks when the monster card specifies a range.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Dissociater

It won't work for all 10, but if a smaller group is interested in playing, the D&D dungeon boardgames (Wrath of Ashardalon, etc.) are pretty good intros to the genre. Somewhat rules light, but with some good decision-making required.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    For 1 you can always bring a bunch of cups and dice and do liars dice. It's not complex, not a party game, has strategy for anyone who wants to get that into it, and generally gets some good laughs at the same time. For similar with a more restrained design, look at Skull (you can DIY Skull if you need to add more than 6 people).
    You can also DIY Telestrations (originally Eat Poop You Cat, if you need the background on how this game was DIY at its inception) by bringing some paper and pencils.
    Codenames was going to be my original suggestion, but I'm trying to give you some alternatives. :P

For 2, if you can find it Chaos In The Old World is still a pretty good meaty strategy game set in the usual grimdark of Warhammer lore. I'm definitely being helpful by pointing you at a game that's out of print. Yup!
    pats self on back

ArcticLancer on
    Thanks for all the great suggestions guys!

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Coup is always chaotic fun, quick, and easy to learn.

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    1) Well, for non-party games with a large player count, social deduction games are an obvious choice. However, many of them (including Resistance) can be pretty intense for certain new players, but some games are okay, in my opinion.

So my choices for low-stress "team" deduction games are Bang! The Dice Game, and Saboteur. Both have a "game" outside the hidden roles and deduction, and seem to not freak new people out that much. I MIGHT also say Good Cop Bad Cop, but I simply haven't played it enough with a mixed group to make a recommendation there.

2) As for a "dark and unforgiving" game, an interesting (and short and inexpensive) interpretation of that would be The Grizzled. It's more "serious" than "dark", but it's a well-respected cooperative card game about WWI trenches.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
This discussion has been closed.