As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dissidia Mobile] Aranea you folks gonna skip the new Global First character?

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    some people are saying its actually worth selling 4* upgrade mats because gil becomes a limiting factor

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    If you upgrade the 2* items from the Hope Dojo before tossing them into your 5*, you only get 1/3 of the XP, but you also spend only 10% of the gil.

• Options
    BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    Used one of those double gil books yesterday on the golden cactuars. You get like 8.1k gil per round or something (lvl 50) so like ~80k through all 10, which you can do in less than 30 min. By the time the 30 min was up I had about 100k.

I think using the gil (or gil/xp/loot) books in combo with some cycle keys is enough for me to not feel like I have to grind in hope dojo like it's a job when most of the weapons I don't really need maxed anyway.

Level 50 event wasn't too bad, just used the bonus yuna/hope/vanille.

ffbe ign: Kas
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Anything not 4* or higher gets used for the upgrade mill, basically.

Are you keeping 4* in the hopes that eventually you'll get 4 copies of one, Max it out, and teach something like +340 HP to someone? Feels like hopeless busywork given the mats it takes to Max enhance something.

I am keeping 4* weapons in the vain hope I'll eventually be able to teach a low-impact passive to people, yeah. Also for some weapon types that's the best weapon I'll have available. At the moment my best daggers are 4*, my best thrower is 3*, and if I want to bring Yuna and Vanille to the event fight one of them will have a 4* staff.

4* armor is the best you can do for armor until your characters get an event with armor and/or we get the armor redemption shop, so definitely keep those.

Mulching 4* equipment for upgrade xp is only worth a few runs of the Carbuncle dungeon or a few runs through the Hope dojo, I don't feel like I'm especially gimping myself by hanging on to that stuff.
    So, whats the lowdown on Vanille. Is she supposed to be any good?

If you can equip her with a staff of some sort, she's very good for the event, at least. The buffs that the Berserker Armor puts on itself are no joke.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Anything not 4* or higher gets used for the upgrade mill, basically.

Are you keeping 4* in the hopes that eventually you'll get 4 copies of one, Max it out, and teach something like +340 HP to someone? Feels like hopeless busywork given the mats it takes to Max enhance something.

I am keeping 4* weapons in the vain hope I'll eventually be able to teach a low-impact passive to people, yeah. Also for some weapon types that's the best weapon I'll have available. At the moment my best daggers are 4*, my best thrower is 3*, and if I want to bring Yuna and Vanille to the event fight one of them will have a 4* staff.

4* armor is the best you can do for armor until your characters get an event with armor and/or we get the armor redemption shop, so definitely keep those.

Mulching 4* equipment for upgrade xp is only worth a few runs of the Carbuncle dungeon or a few runs through the Hope dojo, I don't feel like I'm especially gimping myself by hanging on to that stuff.
    So, whats the lowdown on Vanille. Is she supposed to be any good?

If you can equip her with a staff of some sort, she's very good for the event, at least. The buffs that the Berserker Armor puts on itself are no joke.

You need to get Vanille to Crystal STR 20 for Dispel, which is the relevant ability.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Threw 7 tickets into the Vanille banner and got a 5*! Edge's Katana. Ok sure why not. Did a pull and got Yuna and Vanille 5*s as well which is pretty cool. Getting a decent range of 5* equipment at this point which is good I think. I can't think of a type I am missing off hand.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I started this yesterday and have to say it's quite addicting. The lack of energy is refreshing.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I started this yesterday and have to say it's quite addicting. The lack of energy is refreshing.

Yeah, I'm really liking the story mode. I just blazed through the normal story, now I'm on to the hard versions, which are a bit slower going.

The hardest two missions in chapter 1 to complete were the first two, trying to get my score to the goal was really difficult. Is score just based off of damage taken and turns? Does "overkill" or anything like that taken into account?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah, I'm really liking the story mode. I just blazed through the normal story, now I'm on to the hard versions, which are a bit slower going.

The hardest two missions in chapter 1 to complete were the first two, trying to get my score to the goal was really difficult. Is score just based off of damage taken and turns? Does "overkill" or anything like that taken into account?

Raw 'score seems to be based off of the metrics at the top of the victory screen. Turns taken, and damage/breaks received

• Options
    Turns taken seems to be the most important metric for high score, I think it's worth taking a break in order to shave a turn. Try adding one or more characters with a BRV+HP attack if you don't have any in your team, that can save you some turns, particularly against weaker enemies.

I think overkills also grant you some extra score, but I'm not positive.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's a huge boon that there's no stamina in this game, since if you have trouble hitting all of the correct metrics in a single go, you can easily run a fight twice; once with a lower turn count, and once more defensively, to avoid breaks.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    Turns taken seems to be the most important metric for high score, I think it's worth taking a break in order to shave a turn. Try adding one or more characters with a BRV+HP attack if you don't have any in your team, that can save you some turns, particularly against weaker enemies.

I think overkills also grant you some extra score, but I'm not positive.

Yeah, my standard team through the normal mode was WoL, Bartz, and Terra. I leveled up Vaan, and switched out WoL to shave off 1 turn that I needed to get the score. I also realized that Vaan's HP skill (spiral something?) does some brave damage before the hp (and that the "finish him flash" doesn't take that into account), so it can kill things even if it doesn't flash.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Correct, the purple "this attack will kill the target" aura doesn't take into account the BRV damage that a BRV+HP attack will do, nor does it factor in any break bonus you might receive. That's something you'll have to get a feel for with practice. You can see how much damage your current BRV will do, which can help to estimate whether the extra BRV you rack up during the attack will get the finish or not.

Both of Vaan's skills are super good for score rush. After you "level up" one of his abilities by using it twice, subsequent uses of that ability get an entire second barrage of BRV+HP afterward, allowing you to potentially deal like 50% more HP damage than your max BRV. Also, both of them are magic attacks, so they work fine at murdering ghosts, flans, and ahrimans.

• Options
    Wow, that last fight in the Vanille event is no joke. Tried with Terra (correct 5*), Yuna (wrong 5*), Vanille (wrong 4*) and got horribly murdered. Went back with this team and just barely got the full clear:

Terra: level 42, STR 38, 5* Falchion (20/20), 4* Silver Armlet (15/15)
    Yuna: level 40, STR 35, 5* Oak Staff (20/20), 4* Ceramic Armband (15/15)
    Vaan: level 44, STR 40, 5* Platinum Sword (20/20), 4* Knight's Armor (15/15)

Assist: some random Bartz that didn't do much. Probably should have been Vivi or Hope or something.

I was lucky in that the Berserker Armor did get off one Flurry but didn't quite break anyone, since I was at full BRV before and it was blind from a Luminescence proc. And the turn it died, it was either going to do another Flurry or just chop someone for 5000 HP that I definitely did not have.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    World of Carbuncle went away; no more easy Orbs!

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't farm Carbuncle nearly as much as I could have. Ah well! It seems to be the sort of thing that ought to recur, right? Given it has it's own spot on the world map.

FYI to the thread; your Support/Friend unit levels up when the actual unit does, but doesn't automatically equip passives/abilities or change equipment when the actual unit does. You have to go into the Options menu and manually update whenever you unlock more passives/abilities. I see way too many level 50 dudes with bronze gear equipped in my non-friend list, heh.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I have Yuna/Vanille/Y'shtola. All with their 5* weapons (makes a big difference).

It's not as hard as I expected. I didn't get the full clear cause I messed up. It's difficult to not break the armor. I might just need more practice. I'm tempted to try it with WoL just so I can not break easier.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't farm Carbuncle nearly as much as I could have. Ah well! It seems to be the sort of thing that ought to recur, right? Given it has it's own spot on the world map.

FYI to the thread; your Support/Friend unit levels up when the actual unit does, but doesn't automatically equip passives/abilities or change equipment when the actual unit does. You have to go into the Options menu and manually update whenever you unlock more passives/abilities. I see way too many level 50 dudes with bronze gear equipped in my non-friend list, heh.

That's real dumb, thanks for the heads up. Just updated my Y'shtola.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Finished Quall's event, but only by cheating and using a continue. :( Though, I guess 100 gems for 3 tickets isn't a bad deal.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I finished it by the skin of my teeth. Y'shtola was MVP, warrior of light and cloud were dead by the end. Got second armor though so who cares.

No idea if I'll be able to finish the vanille event. Y'shtola is the only magic user I have leveled aside from Hope, and he competes for crystals with WoL.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    If you can get to character level 30+ and crystal 20+ your characters should be good. Weapons are going to be the hard part.

• Options
    Without WoI and with current events/content finished, not really sure what to do each day aside from the dailies, which is ok I guess. I could grind up levels on unused characters, but then I lose out on SP refreshes with rank ups, so feel like I should wait for the next WoI. I could grind hope dojo but that's pretty painful and sucks the fun out of it, and also seems a little futile for 15cp weapons I don't have enough dupes of or with passives that don't seem super important. Maxed Cloud and have Vaan/Terra/Yuna as high as I have dupes for, most of the rest of the weapons I have seem like just busywork. Guess I could bump WoL's.

I could use cycle keys/books to max crystal strength on good units that aren't finished yet, but doesn't seem like there's a particular rush so just the dailies seem ok for now. Plus without maxed weapons/armor I wouldn't have CP for all the strong passives yet anyway.

If I'm not doing anything and am near my phone I can auto some stages for xp/whatever but otherwise doesn't seem like there's a lot to do, or really a need to pull for until some good 35cp stuff comes up. Plus if this Vanille event was the relatively hardest one in JP to date (some people said that on reddit, no idea if the case) then seems like once you're caught up then this is pretty much just some casual fun/content, which is ok.

• Options
    Yeah, I would recommend not levelling up characters you aren't going to use, to save rank ups for when there's a World of Illusion you can farm.

After you're done with your daily cycle quest, if you don't feel like grinding the Hope dojo for upgrade materials, options include:
    - guest multiplayer: behemoth drops ~70 crystals per run, mostly tier 1. Marlboro is a more annoying fight and drops mostly tier 2 crystals, which seem less valuable
    - spend cycle keys to top off crystal levels of good characters, or start working on other characters you like/can equip
    - farm the story dungeons for summon upgrade mats. If you click on an upgrade material to read the description, it suggests a region where they're most likely to be found.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

noted and updated!

• Options
    Is there any way to prevent a broken Gaia Behemoth from recovering to it's initial BRV level on its turn, and using an HP Attack that same turn? It's nearly one shotting my team.

This game is legit impossible to complete anything for me. Everything murders me.

• Options
    Is there any way to prevent a broken Gaia Behemoth from recovering to it's initial BRV level on its turn, and using an HP Attack that same turn? It's nearly one shotting my team.

This game is legit impossible to complete anything for me. Everything murders me.

I don’t know the exact mechanics on that.

However, I used WoL and Rem to get around it. :)

• Options

Yeah I don't understand how he does that at all, or how to prevent it. I'm not sure what the point of a high DEF stat is when you always take as much HP damage as the enemy mob has BRV. Maybe high DEF reduces BRV lost to BRV attacks?

• Options
    Yeah def/atk only affect brv attacks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DissidiaFFOO/wiki/index/combat

• Options

Yeah I don't understand how he does that at all, or how to prevent it. I'm not sure what the point of a high DEF stat is when you always take as much HP damage as the enemy mob has BRV. Maybe high DEF reduces BRV lost to BRV attacks?

I kinda thought it was a sort of a rage mechanic. He seemed to be doing it more (and took off more HP) the longer the fight went on.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, DEF reduces the damage you take from BRV attacks. It's not useless, but it's not as important a stat as ATK or Max BRV, IMO.

Here are all the effects that happen when a unit is broken:
    - the unit's opponents gain BRV bonus
    - all BRV attacks against the unit are crits
    - the unit can't deal HP damage (enemies are smart enough to not use HP attacks when broken)
    - the unit can't lose BRV
    - the unit regenerates an increasing amount of BRV each turn

Break status ends when the unit is back above its "Init. BRV". The upshot of this is that against a boss enemy, it will occasionally get turns right after it's recovered from break, and consequently it'll have a bunch of BRV it can use to deal a strong HP attack. One way you can potentially get around that is just to not ever break the enemy - this is actually a recommended strat against the Berserker Armor, which will apply the "Berserk" buff to itself when it's broken. Doing a no-enemy-break stat typically requires someone like Yuna who can boost your team's BRV with abilities.

Fry on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    doublepost

Fry on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm still trying to get used to the whole BRV/HP thing myself.

• Options
    The kicker there, apparently, is that the Break status doesn't go away until you go over your Initial BRV. For bosses, that's several thousand BRV, so they start their turn by regenerating a little BRV, go over Initial BRV, and suddenly they have multiple thousands of BRV to murder someone's face with.

It's effectively an Enrage timer because your party can only absorb so many 2500 HP damage shots before you start losing people.

I wonder, then, if Hope's Protect buff lowers HP damage taken. I haven't quite unlocked it for him yet.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    The kicker there, apparently, is that the Break status doesn't go away until you go over your Initial BRV. For bosses, that's several thousand BRV, so they start their turn by regenerating a little BRV, go over Initial BRV, and suddenly they have multiple thousands of BRV to murder someone's face with.

It's effectively an Enrage timer because your party can only absorb so many 2500 HP damage shots before you start losing people.

I wonder, then, if Hope's Protect buff lowers HP damage taken. I haven't quite unlocked it for him yet.

Nope, Protect and Shell just cut BRV damage from physical/magical attacks in half.

Fry on
  • Options
  • Options

So looking it up on reddit:

Copy/Pasted from a comment on a similar post.

"in case you’re interested, this is the math. passive bravery regen happens only when you hp attack or get broken. every turn gives you bravery back, as you’ve noticed. the first time you get passive bravery, you start off at 5% your initial bravery. you then gain twice that amount. it doubles. then it doubles again. and finally it gains 2/3 of it’s current value. so assuming you don’t get hit with a brave attack or somehow restore your own bravery, it should take five turns to get back to unbroken status, which would be your initial bravery (the number of bravery you start every battle with). so let’s take 1000 as your initial bravery. if you get broken, or use an hp attack, in the next turn you will heal 50 bravery. add that to twice it’s value, 50 + (50 * 2) = 150. double that = 300. double it again = 600. add 2/3 or 67% to that, 600 * 1.67, and now you’re back at initial bravery, 1000."

If the Behemoth is broken, it gains increasing BRV every turn until its back at its Initial BRV, which is when it becomes unbroken. It takes 5 turns unless you inflict more BRV damage on it, but you can't stop it forever.

• Options
    If I were to use an Item Doubler and a Cycle Key to farm a bunch of White Crystals, is there a specific difficulty I should spam to get tons of tier 1 and some tier 2 crystals?

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Well that was close. I managed to beat the last fight of Vanille's event with one person left standing at like 200 health. Might not be pretty, but a win is a win in the end so I will take it.

• Options
    If I were to use an Item Doubler and a Cycle Key to farm a bunch of White Crystals, is there a specific difficulty I should spam to get tons of tier 1 and some tier 2 crystals?

Probably the middle difficulty (30) for that specific mix of crystals.

For me, I'm going to use the books and keys to start the grind on tier 3 crystals. To get all the way to STR 50, it costs 1141 tier 1, 930 tier 2, and 550 tier 3 crystals. The highest difficulty cycle dungeon only drops like 8-10 tier 3 crystals (with a doubler, it'd be 16-20) so it's going to take quite a few runs to max out a character. For the lower tier stuff, behemoth co-op pays out roughly 70 tier 1 crystals of random types, and it's pretty quick to run. YMMV

• Options

You get more of each type in the higher levels. So stage 4 gives more small and medium crystals than stage 3.

I run whatever stage I can finish in about 2 minutes, which is usually 4 right now.