As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
edited November 2018 in Games and Technology
This is a 4x Paradox game that let's you conquer the galaxy through various mechanisms.
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris/STST01G-MASTER.html

Galaxy_package.png?t=1515069508

There's a slew of DLC available also
---Main Expansions---
MegaCorp (December 6, 2018)
Apocalypse
Utopia
---Content Packs
Distant Stars - Story Pack
Leviathans Story Pack
Synthetic Dawn - Story Pack

---Optional Pictures
Humanoids Species Pack
Plantoids Species Pack
Anniversary Portraits (Free)

If you end up doing a multiplayer game, whatever the host has for DLC is included for other players on galaxy generation. Which means if the host has leviathans but another player doesn't, leviathans will show up and the other player will interact with them. Also some mods that affect local items like UI aren't required by everyone for a multiplayer game to work, but mods that affect resources, ships, planets, gameplay are required to be in sync between players.

Buy it from many places such as Paradox Plaza, Steam, or https://greenmangaming.com/games/stellaris/ or other places

Some other links:
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/
Discord: https://discord.gg/dc9CkWk

Pailryder on

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    My 2nd attempt at an inward perfection empire just accepted a new species into the fold. That they basically built out of animals. And keep as slaves. They're such a helpful bunch!

Hopefully this attempt will go better than the last, as I'm doing everything I can to build the biggest fleet just to make sure my neighbors don't get any ideas.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    If someone is looking to pick this up or only has the base game and wants to know what the "good" DLC is, my recommendation of order to pick up:

Apocalypse (when it releases)
    Utopia
    Synthetic Dawn
    Leviathans
    Humanoids
    Plantoids

I haven't personally bothered with either species pack because they don't really give any new content other than a bit of visual fluff.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    What's left in Utopia that's not in 2.0?

-Ascension paths
    -Hives
    -Megastructures
    -Habitats? (Not sure if 2.0)
    -Exterminators? (Not sure if Utopia)

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I keep coming back to this game every few months when it gets patched a couple/few times. Probably going to play robots again when I get back to it soon. I must destroy all sentient life in the galaxy. It's the only way to be sure.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I see you call Stellaris a 4X in the OP

*gets powerpoint presentation on why it is a grand strategy game ready*

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

*prepares rebuttal powerpoint presentation with every. slide. animated.*

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Too bad the computer hooked up to the projector is running a different version of powerpoint that is incompatible with your animations

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Do you do the following in Stellaris?

*Explore? Yes.
    *Expand? Yes.
    *Exploit? Yes.
    *Exterminate? Yes, unless you're weird.

Oh look, it's the 4 X's

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Too bad the computer hooked up to the projector is running a different version of powerpoint that is incompatible with your animations

Curses!

And yet, I will soldier on, and just intersperse my presentation with bouts of "Well, if this were working properly you'd see [foo] ..." and then pause awkwardly.

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    10 days

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

-Ascension paths
    -Hives
    -Megastructures

All of those (if by exterminators you mean Fanatic Purifiers and Devouering Swarm, the Machine version requires Synthetic Dawn) plus mechanist and syncretic evolution.

steam_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I just found out about Apocolypse the other day, having not played Stellaris in several months. I was having a twitter conversation about CK II with a friend of mine and mentioned Stellaris. Well who should say hello but the official Stellaris twitter account, notifying me of the update.

That's some good PR you've got there, Paradox.

I still don't own the previous two expansions. A little more than what I'd like to play. But I'm hoping for a sale when the new one hits.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I mena the ascension paths are there to make exterminating people easier right?

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I won a war!

And immediately learned how warscore really works and how I should have asked for more than just my foes humiliation.

When they attacked, we had equivalent fleets, theirs 13.8 to my 13.2. But they did not know I was mineral capped, so as soon as war started I cranked up production, and after destroying their fleet, went on to tear through their empire with a 25k doomstack.

I hope they attack me again, next time I'm making them my vassals.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

4X is a subset of grand strategy, so the OP indirectly called it a grand strategy game already :)

Or are you suggesting that Stellaris lacks one or more of the X's and is thus a grand strategy that is not also 4X?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Foefaller wrote: »

-Ascension paths
    -Hives
    -Megastructures

All of those (if by exterminators you mean Fanatic Purifiers and Devouering Swarm, the Machine version requires Synthetic Dawn) plus mechanist and syncretic evolution.

I forgot that was a thing. So I said, hey lets try that for our final Tall Min[eral]Max vassal carebear cliche Human fed servitor syncretic evo... psychic? run.

But I cannot think of a single concept that wouldn't be more interesting 2.0. Even modding the megastructures just seemed like cheating, and for what: So I could slowly and painfully assert dominance over a galaxy I refuse to conquer again?

Or wait
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    10 9 days
    to bathe in the blood of my enemies with renewed passion, instead of turning off the lights so I can fantasize about soap and water.

The Sauce wrote: »

4X is a subset of grand strategy, so the OP indirectly called it a grand strategy game already :)

Or are you suggesting that Stellaris lacks one or more of the X's and is thus a grand strategy that is not also 4X?

Until I can marry off a son I hate to a rival empire then conspire to kill all my misbegotten grandchildren from his issue until I approve of one, who I can then support against him, I am firmly in the 4X camp.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm in the 4X camp as well. It has some of the trappings of the other Paradox GS games (CBs, real-time with pauses, etc), but it isn't quite that.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Until I can marry off a son I hate to a rival empire then conspire to kill all my misbegotten grandchildren from his issue until I approve of one, who I can then support against him, I am firmly in the 4X camp.

In all seriousness I hope this becomes a thing. The "monarchy" government types seem fairly weak, but it would be super neat if you could marry your heir to an alien Slug Princess to secure an alliance. Game really needs more in the way of diplomatic / espionage options so that you can still throw your weight around without actively being at war with someone.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm in the 4X camp as well. It has some of the trappings of the other Paradox GS games (CBs, real-time with pauses, etc), but it isn't quite that.

I just started a game of the Star Trek mod because it was recommended earlier and toward the end of a version life cycle seems like a good time to get a heavy mod game in, and that seems far more grand strategy what with a set map with set starts. Also very EU3 in the use if event chains, the Xindi one was pretty cool. Also individual episodes as anomaly events is a brilliant idea.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Huh, I didn't realize we actually had a release date for this yet, or that it was so close! I was hoping for "before the end of March" and now I find out its actually in 8 days.

Neat!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jesus I just looked up the expansion details. The Planet Destroyers stuff is... wow. WOW.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

EU4 doesn’t do any of those things and allows for a great deal of more traditional 4X gameplay (world conquest runs for example) than CK2 and is still considered a grand strategy game. Stellaris is both a 4X and a grand strategy and I think this is the only forum where that’s a remotely controversial notion. The dichotomy, it is false.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    Fiaryn wrote: »

EU4 doesn’t do any of those things and allows for a great deal of more traditional 4X gameplay (world conquest runs for example) than CK2 and is still considered a grand strategy game. Stellaris is both a 4X and a grand strategy and I think this is the only forum where that’s a remotely controversial notion. The dichotomy, it is false.

Only because people were trying to use "It's an X!" to justify their position on whether it's alright for Megastructures to not be competitive with other things you can use ascension perks for.

...Forgetting that balance changes and challenge civs/empires are par for course for both.

steam_sig.png
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I think the terms are distinct in the sense that 'grand strategy' as a genre is useful specifically for identifying large-scale strategy games that are not traditional 4x's and differentiating the two from each other, which makes 'it's both!' a pretty unhelpful way to describe anything about a game.

But even if you don't agree with the distinction, 4x would still be a subset of the grand strategy genre; a 'grand strategy' game has you take control of something approximating a nation and dictate its economic, social, and military development towards a particular goal in a way that may or may not involve the 4 x's, and a '4x' has you do exactly the same thing but specifically in a context that does involve the 4 x's - every 4x game is also a grand strategy game, in the same way that every square is also a rectangle.

Which means that even in a framing that doesn't consider the terms useful only as mutually exclusive identifiers, 'it's not just a 4x, it's both a 4x and a grand strategy game' would be akin to saying 'it's not just a first-person shooter, it's a first-person shooter and a shooter!' or 'it's not just a square, it's a square and a rectangle!'. It might be technically accurate, but it's a redundant use of a less-specific term.

Mr Ray wrote: »

In all seriousness I hope this becomes a thing. The "monarchy" government types seem fairly weak, but it would be super neat if you could marry your heir to an alien Slug Princess to secure an alliance. Game really needs more in the way of diplomatic / espionage options so that you can still throw your weight around without actively being at war with someone.

Besides allowing for a policy settings regarding interspecies unions, leading to pop factions protesting the merits of "Adam and Eve" vs "0xADA and Steve," they've got an interesting opportunity here in that gestalts would be immune from these machinations, but also unable to fully participate. This allows them to either create dynamics to engage with Hives and AI only available in their DLC, or keep them separate making them offer an even more distinct playthrough.

Foefaller wrote: »
    I have to admit, that was not a development detail I was expecting to be enjoy this much.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Huh, I didn't realize we actually had a release date for this yet, or that it was so close! I was hoping for "before the end of March" and now I find out its actually in 8 days.

Neat!

the Cherryh update too? awesome

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Besides allowing for a policy settings regarding interspecies unions, leading to pop factions protesting the merits of "Adam and Eve" vs "0xADA and Steve," they've got an interesting opportunity here in that gestalts would be immune from these machinations, but also unable to fully participate. This allows them to either create dynamics to engage with Hives and AI only available in their DLC, or keep them separate making them offer an even more distinct playthrough.

but if you allow it they start producing hybrid races with random mixes of traits

but if you allow it they start producing hybrid races with random mixes of traits

This could be very frustrating in game, but it is objectively hilarious and I want someone to mod it.

edited February 2018
    One thing I think should be a thing in autocratic empires is for the heir to be an actual leader that is added to your pool, what exactly depending on your ethos.

It would allow you to level up the future leader, and, especially for the admirals and generals, create a risk/reward scenario; Do you put them in that dangerous position that would make them a better leader, or keep them somewhere safe so you don't risk a succession crisis should they die and the ruler does before a replacement is found?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    how do the ascention paths work with synthetic empires?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    how do the ascention paths work with synthetic empires?

They don't have access to a lot of them, but they do have 2 unique ones - one that gets you 2 Free Modification Points and one that lets you terraform planets into Machine Worlds.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Both of those are really powerful, too.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Machine worlds, sure. I never really seem to get much out of the modification points because

A) Synths don't get a ton of options for traits, and don't have any equivalent to the high-tier organic traits that you'd want those points for.
    B) While specializing synths for minerals, energy, or research is a good idea in theory, actually accomplishing it is super fiddly
    C) Sector governors are rock fucking stupid when it comes to distributing specialized AIs, so it will really only ever make a big difference on core worlds.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I was a big fan of Master of Orion 2 back in the day. This basically looks like MoO2 but bigger. Is it MoO2 but bigger?

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    you know what's fucking hilarious with migrations?

have a good species with good perks.
    set aside one core world, preferably one about 10~size.
    immediately genemod the colonists with all negative traits and put in fast breeders.
    only allow this one planet to migrate.

set up migration treaties with other players.

I may have caused a couple people to rage quit when they found out about 30minutes later that my trash people were about 50% of their population and completely killed their happiness and tanked their economy...

I call it the Open Borders Gambit.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Would it be against the principles of the Federation to declare war on the Romulans because they keep sabotaging my shit?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I was a big fan of Master of Orion 2 back in the day. This basically looks like MoO2 but bigger. Is it MoO2 but bigger?

It is pretty similar to MoO2 in some ways, although there's a lot of differences too. The game is often a bit more complicated than MoO2, it's a pausable real time game rather than turn-based, the combat is resolved on the strategic layer without any option for you to micromanage the battles, war is resolved with war goals and warscore like Paradox's other grand strategy games rather than using Civilization/MoO2 style wars, and diplomacy has some more complicated systems in it like vassals and federations. But the feel of things like creating your alien race, the general flavor and aesthetic of the game, custom designing your ships, running into space monsters, events and end-game crises are all very MoO2-ish.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif