As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    403 forbidden :(

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting that? Works fine on my phone and the world of Facebook seems able to access it fine.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Works for me.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Once payday is here I'm gonna order an Arkanaut company , some brushes and the relevant base layer paints. Then next month I'll get the shades etc

Painted my first Age of Sigmar model the other day. A Stormcast Liberator from the get started with Age of Sigmar magazine.

Went way too heavy on the shade but It was a good learning experience.

SharpyVII on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ...guess I need to buy more Shadespire gangs to actually get the cards I want. Should have expected that.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    ...guess I need to buy more Shadespire gangs to actually get the cards I want. Should have expected that.

I know I don't want to get the Chosen Blades warband but for the cards though?
    Since my brother brought up the point of how he doubts we will see a Elf of any flavor in the game I really am at a loss what to talk him into since he said with a shutter the Skaven look interesting

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

This is why I have chosen not to get into Shadespire. I thought the Skelly Bros looked really great, but realized that this effectively meant that I would be paying a minimum of $90, and a maximum of three kidneys, to play the game.

I just don't have it in me to get sucked into the economic vortex that is a Games Workshop CCG masquerading as a tabletop skirmish game.

Earthquake and No Time are both pretty seismic (lol) cards that are going to affect the way the game is played by merely existing.

MhCw7nZ.gif

This is why I have chosen not to get into Shadespire. I thought the Skelly Bros looked really great, but realized that this effectively meant that I would be paying a minimum of $90, and a maximum of three kidneys, to play the game.

I just don't have it in me to get sucked into the economic vortex that is a Games Workshop CCG masquerading as a tabletop skirmish game.

Well...
    I am used to the first born and 2 fresh human kidneys price of getting into a GW game
    Just I learned long ago to budget because of it

It’s more an LCG than a CCG as you do know exactly what you’re getting. And it isn’t ideal but I’m sure EBay will have a flourishing market in splitting cards from models.

Plus they have rather generously placed decent images of every card up in a database on their website so you could always go for the printouts put in a sleeved Magic card solution.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited February 2018
    It’s more an LCG than a CCG as you do know exactly what you’re getting. And it isn’t ideal but I’m sure EBay will have a flourishing market in splitting cards from models.

Plus they have rather generously placed decent images of every card up in a database on their website so you could always go for the printouts put in a sleeved Magic card solution.

Nvm
    https://warhammerunderworlds.com/card-library/

Brainleech on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    New GW is best GW.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    New GW is best GW.

Never Forget what it once was
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxQnZ3TM8
    As New GW is far better than what it once was

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So quick question.

I am taking my built tzeentch stuff to game night tomorrow. Which includes 10 chaos warriors. The army builder and general's handbook 2017 say they can be in units of 5 but the warscroll on the GW site say units of 10. Which do I follow?

u7stthr17eud.png
    ghb2017 is the newest, so follow that

Dayspring wrote: »
    ghb2017 is the newest, so follow that

Another question
    With the Army books they are like the army books of old in that it gives the fluff and lore of the army as well as it's gear and units? But you still need the General's handbook to play the game?

The 4 Grand Alliance books are basically just physical copies of all the warscrolls so you dont need them.
    The GHB contains the most up to date points values, plus some extras (notably updated abilities and artifacts for non-codex armies, such as Wood Elves (Wanderers), Dark Elves (Darkling Coverns) etc), and up to date missions.
    The codexes (Battletomes) contain fluff on the army, points values (useful if your army got released after the last GHB), artifacts, and most importantly Battalions, which are basically Formations from 40k. (Terminology might be wrong but hopefully you follow me).

The warscrolls are all free on GW’s website, and also on the app.
    The points are actually officially free on scrollbuilder.com
    So the very least you need to play is all free. GHB and your relevant battletome, if it exists, are recommended.

Played my first game with my Tzeentch army today at the weekly game night for Sigmar. Its mostly the same bros as 40k and the same club which makes it way easier to play and not feel judged for being new and looking shit up constantly.

We played a mission where there are 6 objectives, 1 normally activates a turn but we did two as we had a 3 way game going. The activated objective at the end of the turn was 3 pts, and every 5 wounds was 1 point. I ended up winning by playing to the objectives with 11 points. Mostly on the second turn. I could reach an objective that one of my opponents couldn't reach at all and the other had to decide if he would sacrifice 1/3 to 1/2 his army to the other player and try to take the objective from me or save his army and try and take that objective. He chose the latter as the former was harder to do anyway.

Things I noticed:

-Units are way more survivable compared to 40k. My chaos knights lost a single model in a 3 turn melee with an opponents chaos knights, warriors, and a lord. Mostly due to mystic shield every turn and then the reroll everything buff from my other caster. Still even my Tzaangors only lost 4 shield dudes of 10 thanks to buffs.

-To go above, stuff is just less killy. I know some horde armies probably bring out the blocks of dice but even my rather elite Emperor's Children army is shooting 15-20 shots from a single unit a turn. My knights did that but hit less, wounded less, and had no rend.

-Stuff is a bit faster than I think. This is true in 40k, I am terrible at visualizing distance into inches. Screamers and my shaman on a disk could traverse a lot of the board really fast.

-Destiny dice are awesome but don't feel broken.

I am not sure I like the roll off for turns. Its hard to plan ahead with that. Also the fact it is always a back and forth with combat, though I am use to this thanks to the Emp's Children ability in 40k, also makes the choices for combat a bit more tactical.

For shooting I think there was one unit on the board that could. It was another Tzeentch, mostly slaves of darkness, a nurgle maggotkin army, and my mixed tzeentch army.

My army in the spoiler:
    Heros:
    Tzaangor Shaman-Bolt of Tzeentch, Soul Draught, Boon of Mutation warlord ability thing
    Chaos Sorc Lord-The one that gets me destiny dice

Battleline:
    5x Chaos Warriors with shields, banner, horn-Tzeentch
    5x Chaos Warriors with shields, banner, horn-Tzeentch
    10xTzaangors (2 greatblades, horn, icon, 2 mutants, rest with shields and blades)

Other:
    3x Screamers of Tzeentch
    5x Chaos Knights w/ ensorcelled weapons, banner, and horn

I have 10 more Tzaangors to build, I think they will just be built to add to the unit since I have the chaos warriors for the other battle line. Same with my 20 arcanites, a single unit build.

I also have another shaman, 6x Skyfires, 3x Enlightened w/ Spears, 3x Flamers, 10x Pink Horrors, 1x Exalted Flamer/Burning Chariot, 1x Herald/Herald on a chariot.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Shaman, Skyfires and destiny dice are super nasty and people will hate you. Definitely bring them next time.

I don't know if he's super popular in hardcore Tzeentch lists but my favourite in the Battletome is the Ogroid Thaumaturge, aka The Muscle Wizard. His basic spell is good (can never have too many D6 mortal wound spells), he gets another spell because Tzeentch, and he's surprisingly good in a fight. He's single handedly killed a Magmadroth, finished off a Mawcrusher, done all kinds of cool shit. He's pretty high on my opponent's "kill first" list now, which is funny because I also always take the Gaunt Summoner.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    A combination of AoS having a big presence at my store now and the Reaper Mythos figures being available to purchase finally has me wanting to put together a Cthulhu themed fantasy army. What out there would match up well with lots of expendable cultists, fishmen, big tentacle monsters and evil shrines? Nurgle?

Badablack on
    FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    A combination of AoS having a big presence at my store now and the Reaper Mythos figures being available to purchase finally has me wanting to put together a Cthulhu themed fantasy army. What out there would match up well with lots of expendable cultists, fishmen, big tentacle monsters and evil shrines? Nurgle?

I am pretty certain Cthulhu elves are just down the pipeline.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I dunno, we're getting Morathi elves next so Cthulu elves, as rad as they sound, will be a ways off yet.

I'd probably look at Nurgle or Tzeentch. Chaos in general is flexible enough to make a lot of themes happen.

Well with the Valentines joke video they did we got to see a brief preview of Morathi
    So I think we will know more next month about the Brides of Khaine
    I also feel they are going to do a dual thing with them the Dark Eldar since people raid them for parts and vice versa at the end of March

Is Malign Portents a general's book or just a setting?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That belly free look on Morathi looks dumb.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    That belly free look on Morathi looks dumb.

It's the most clothing she's worn in about twenty years, give her some time to readjust to fashion.

What:
    Fabled hero of the Warhammer Old World, Gotrek Gurnisson is reborn and cast into the Age of Sigmar for a brand-new, feature-length audio adventure.

Gotrek Gurnisson was the greatest monster slayer of the age, who met his doom at the End Times. The heroic duardin stepped forth into the Realm of Chaos to fight the daemons gnawing at the world’s ending and satisfy his death oath, leaving behind his companion Felix Jaeger. Now Gotrek has returned, having outlived the old gods and the Old World. Spat from the ruinous depths with his redemption unfulfilled, he emerges into the Mortal Realms, a strange new world where gods walk and dark forces are ascendant. Nothing is as he remembers. His oaths are dust, and the lands are torn asunder by Chaos. Yet when Gotrek learns of human champions being elevated to immortality for Sigmar’s fight against this darkness, the so-called ‘Stormcast Eternals’, he knows why fate has brought him into this new age. To find Felix. For only then can he find the peace in death he seeks. But is there more to Gotrek’s apotheosis than even he can fathom? Has he truly been chosen by Grimnir and for what purpose?

This audio drama boxed set contains a four-part story read by a stellar cast, recounting the much-anticipated return of Gotrek Gurnisson.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I dunno, we're getting Morathi elves next so Cthulu elves, as rad as they sound, will be a ways off yet.

The rumour/leak from awhile back (last November, most of which has since turned out to be true) said there would be two Aelven factions coming in May/April.

There was then, I think, a separate rumour that there was an all-female Dark Elves type army coming (mostly true) and Cthulu/pirate elves.

So there's a chance of one release after the other, if the first rumour continues to be right. (It called for Custodes through February, some Tau in early March, and Necrons at the end of that month.)

So people who are familiar with The End Times, what is up with Morathi being leader of the Khaine group now?
    Back in the old warhammer fluff, the Witch Elves/Temple of Khaine and the Sorceresses were always pretty opposed to each other, to the degree that they had some form of animosity rules in some edition i seem to recall.

Morathi has always portrayed as beng connected to both at different times in the old background. After all she was married to Aenarion while he had the Sword of Khaine which had some major influence on his whole court. She also controlled the blood cauldron magic and kept the best cauldron for herself and thus had control over the Khainites and their leader Hellebron.

During the End Times Slannesh personally showed up and ate her, so I guess that pissed her off enough to complete side with the Khainites over the Cult of Pleasure.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    @Badablack Nurgle seems like an off choice to me; he's all about disease and decay, festering boils and swarms of vermin. AFAIK Cthulhu stuff is mostly about strange otherworldly creatures with cosmic powers and incidental psychic trauma to those who make contact; Tzeentch seems a better fit to me thematically speaking.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    It wouldn’t be my first choice, but Nurgle does have some interesting mechanics and a number of critters comparable in size and abilities to the models I’d be using. IE lots of tentacles critters on 60mm for things like beasts of Nurgle, Cthulhu shrines for the Nurgle trees, fishmen for plaguebearers, big ol’ Cthulhu Wars minis for a GUO, etc. Tzeentch doesn’t really have any midsize monsters I could swap em out for.

I know I have asked it before, Where can I find out more about the End Times?

These guys could help you out.
    eKJFQV3.jpg

Alternatively, now that their rules aren’t valid you can probably pick up the End Times campaign books pretty cheap. Or check out the warhammer end times wiki for the reader’s digest condensed version.

Man, the End Times started pretty great with the Nagash book and they they went and fumbled it quite a bit. Most of the fumbling was connected to the High and Dark Elves in my opinion.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Man, the End Times started pretty great with the Nagash book and they they went and fumbled it quite a bit. Most of the fumbling was connected to the High and Dark Elves in my opinion.

I have a feeling that the End Times (as well as Age of Sigmar's release) was incredibly rushed for one reason or another. There certainly seemed to be a massive drop in quality as the releases went on.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That’s because *panicked flailing* – GW was in trouble due to some rather annoying but unfortunately pretty typical “I’ve got share options so I must artificially drive up the share price by doing business-things as loudly and conspicuously as possible, regardless of whether they really apply to our business model or are viable in the long term” mismanagement by the outgoing MD. Getting rid of the Old World and replacing it with shiny gold fantasy space marines so they could “divest from marginal properties” and “focus on their core appeal” was key, after simply hiking revenue (but not profits) by increasing prices wasn’t enough.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Burnage wrote: »

I have a feeling that the End Times (as well as Age of Sigmar's release) was incredibly rushed for one reason or another. There certainly seemed to be a massive drop in quality as the releases went on.

Yes, beside some very dubious plot choices there were also a bunch of continuity errors between books, like a character that died in on book being alive in the the next one.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Sea Aelf's confirmed?!?

https://youtu.be/bTZAvybjv2Q

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Sea Aelf's confirmed?!?

I don't think the video could be more clear: GW is starting a line of aquarium accessories.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
This discussion has been closed.