As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    played rising sun yesterday

it was a disaster but i kind of want to play more?

i played the fox clan and i think maybe those guys are really hard to use. I kept getting stuck acting first or last and with bad tiebreaks

What was disastrous? I'm hoping someone in my game group backed so I can try this one out, as I have pretty much no interest in buying myself a copy.

well disclaimer that the strategy remains really opaque to me

some or all of these problems may be solved as we learn how to play

there are some really huge sources of points that are cheap to get and hard or impossible to mess with, so you can see one person start scoring VP like a runaway train and everyone knows they're definitely going to win halfway through the game

there's a LOT of silent auction bidding, and you have to spend what you bid, so if you lose several in a row, which is very plausible, it's easy to get frustrated

we had a tiny rule misunderstanding ("start of battle" vs "start of war") by player B that led to player C or player D getting super screwed. Player C was counting on a pledge by player B to allow him to win a fight using a special power, and by the time player B announced the power it was long past the time he was allowed to use it. Nothing had changed in the province it would affect, but player D had been making silent auction choices for the preceding 5 battles in that war, so it would be hugely unfair to allow the power to go into effect, as he should have had full knowledge of the power for the preceding 5 auctions.

Then I knocked a glass of water over the board and that was the end of that

sig.gif
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Dissociater I played this thing called Last Banquet that was like musical chairs for between 6-25 people but with board game rules and everybody has a power? It seemed cool, but the rules are a mess and you'd have to figure out how many people you were going to have and write down all the rules for that player count and explain them yourself.

sig.gif
  • RendRend Registered User regular

Bold strategy

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    Gloomhaven report, scenario 2
    We got pasted. After clearing the first room pretty efficiently, our Brute ran into the second room and got mangled by the elite archers. He had to lose a couple cards immediately to not die to that onslaught, and with a few more losses on the following turns he was exhausted much quicker than everyone else. Not helping matters was that the first three of the boss' actions were summoning Living Bones.

That fight just feels like an absurd wall of beef to fight through, even more than the first scenario. Are we missing some cards for the boss deck or something? 6/8 involve generating more enemies, either directly via a spawn or indirectly by opening a door. The scenario seems like it would be significantly easier if you got lucky and he drew his two attacks early, especially if that causes him to leave his fortified bunker.

At least I managed to sneak in and claim the treasure chest before we all died horribly. We will probably do better now that we know what's coming. And hopefully we'll get better at dealing better with archers...seems like opening the door and then ducking back out of the room to bait them forward will probably work better than opening the door and eating their attacks at maximum range.
    There's a bit of luck on how many monsters you are fighting, typically in a situation like that you don't need to kill all monsters however, so consider nuking the boss/objective.

FYI you don't keep chests on encounter failures.

I don't think the bolded part in the spoiler is true.
    My understanding is once you pick up a chest, you immediately get the contents. Likewise you keep all the gold you picked up and XP earned from actions.

Holy shit, looks like you're right, thanks!
    I think somehow we got it in our heads that the treasure tiles were scenario rewards and we were following "When a scenario is successfully completed as part of the campaign, a number of rewards are gained by the party."
    It mentions item designs, gold, etc. so while the chest usually has those things it's not referring to the loot tile. :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
    Rend wrote: »

Bold strategy

:redface:

sig.gif
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Aeon's End: Legacy is coming to Kickstarter tomorrow. Sounds like Aeon's End with permanent changes and a large overarching story ala Pandemic: Legacy.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Aeon's End: Legacy is coming to Kickstarter tomorrow. Sounds like Aeon's End with permanent changes and a large overarching story ala Pandemic: Legacy.

I've not even heard of Aeon's End. What kind of game is it?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's a cooperative deck builder

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's a cooperative deck builder

It is, yeah. Sort of a combination of the Sentinels of the Multiverse Boss vs Many dynamic, but with an economy and systems that are right out of Dominion.

Flavor-wise, you're wizards trying to save the last remaining humans in a world that was invaded and wrecked up by magic extradimensional guys (less Lovecraftian and more video game-y Bosses) of various sorts. Everyone has a power they can charge up over time with spare resources (or on purpose).

The starting decks aren't entirely identical (everyone gets some kind of unique card, and the basics aren't always in the same numbers either), and you don't shuffle unless a card tells you to, instead flipping your discard when you need to draw but have no deck left.

There was already a sorta-narrative developing between the two sets they've released, but I didn't back the second and have only gotten to play it once since it came out. I liked the first but it hasn't been as popular with my core group as it was with me.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    The starting decks aren't entirely identical (everyone gets some kind of unique card, and the basics aren't always in the same numbers either), and you don't shuffle unless a card tells you to, instead flipping your discard when you need to draw but have no deck left.

This awoke something in me.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    OwO

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018

This awoke something in me.

Another feature that may interest people: turn order is randomized in blocks that are 4 player turns to 2 boss turns. Some effects care about turn order.

E: Note that I don't know if this will still be true in the Legacy incarnation, but generally the Aeon's End mechanics are neat.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover Legacy isn't exciting as much as War Eternal was. I may have to play some base game with you to see how I like AE before I pledge for Legacy. :biggrin:

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Aeon's End is pretty fun, the randomized turn order is exciting. I went all-in on the second edition kickstarter and got both the base game and the new War Eternal set.

Calling it a deckbuilder feels like a bit of a stretch if you're playing with four. The game uses those mechanics, certainly, but you don't get nearly enough turns before the game is over to really feel like you've "built" much. In a four player game, I find the typical experience is something like: two turns buying money, two or three turns buying a medium/large card, then it's endgame and you can't really afford the time to buy new cards. With two or three players, the deckbuilding part is much more significant, as you have enough turns per player to actually make significant changes to your deck. For that reason I think the game is best with two or three.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Aeon's End, but it doesn't get to the table enough. Hard to invest in another legacy game when Pandemic: Legacy season 2 is sitting on the shelf unopened.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I enjoyed Aeon's End, but it doesn't get to the table enough. Hard to invest in another legacy game when Pandemic: Legacy season 2 is sitting on the shelf unopened.

By that backwards logic none of us would be buying any games!

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Aeon's End is a really good fit for Legacy, I think. A structure to the way the bosses and card pool evolves would be really neat. I love War Eternal, but "just randomize the card pool and hope for the best" can feel a bit loosey goosey.

Darric on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

By that backwards logic none of us would be buying any games!

*ahem*

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I probably don't live anywhere near you, but if you want to try some of your games via the magic of Tabletop Simulator, I will always try to find free time for games, Magic Pink!

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Kickstarter I really want UBOOT but do I want to spend the money now?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Speaking of Kickstarter I really want UBOOT but do I want to spend the money now?

I’m curious but wary because app.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      TIME Stories continues to be great experiences marred by the actual game mechanics. Gave the new expansion a run tonight and as usual we pieced together the way forward and then proceeded to all but ignore the dice in order to actually execute it and get it over with because it's 9pm and we're on our 6th damned run.

Has anyone tried the Unlock! games by Space Cowboys? We like the idea of an escape room thing but were curious as to the mechanics in them.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
      Oooooh Taj Mahal was real real good. Just the right balance of simple rules and tricky decisions. Hold em or fold em, that's it. But where do you want to go hard and where do you not? And what cards does everyone else have? And what are those assholes going to play? Are they they going to steal my fucking elephants AGAIN FFS? Can't wait to try it with 4 or 5, seems like it will really be brutal/excellent.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
      Vyolynce wrote: »
      TIME Stories continues to be great experiences marred by the actual game mechanics. Gave the new expansion a run tonight and as usual we pieced together the way forward and then proceeded to all but ignore the dice in order to actually execute it and get it over with because it's 9pm and we're on our 6th damned run.

Has anyone tried the Unlock! games by Space Cowboys? We like the idea of an escape room thing but were curious as to the mechanics in them.

I very much like the Unlock! games. Straight out of the box, you just flip over cards as instructed to progress through the scenario. Super easy to setup and play, limited replayability for sure, but it's almost as fun to watch a group play a scenario you've done to see how they come to their answers.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    • AetherAether Registered User regular

Unlock! is a lot of fun. We get them as soon as they become available. The app integration is cool, and the new "machines" that have been added in the last trio of games is great.

I prefer the Exit series, but unlike Unlock! they are not replayable.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

Curious which Time Stories box you're on.

I'm so-so on Unlock. Another friend who has done more of them described it best - it feels like in almost every one of them there's some "gotcha" or "trick" where you basically had to be in the designer's head to figure out what you were intended to do. Strips away some of the fun when you have those oldskool adventure game moments of "Oh, what, THAT'S what we were supposed to do?"
      As Aether noted above, much more a fan of the Exit series myself. Give the abandoned cabin a try and see how your group likes it.

Curious which Time Stories box you're on.

I'm so-so on Unlock. Another friend who has done more of them described it best - it feels like in almost every one of them there's some "gotcha" or "trick" where you basically had to be in the designer's head to figure out what you were intended to do. Strips away some of the fun when you have those oldskool adventure game moments of "Oh, what, THAT'S what we were supposed to do?"
      As Aether noted above, much more a fan of the Exit series myself. Give the abandoned cabin a try and see how your group likes it.

The newest (English) one. Estrelle Drive, I think? The one in 1982 with a giant "Mature Content" warning on it.

Eagerly looking forward to "Brotherhood of the Coast". Pirate time!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
      @Vyolynce How mature is that mature content? Is it going to be awkward playing that one with my family?

ACsTqqK.jpg
    • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Astaereth wrote: »
      @Vyolynce How mature is that mature content? Is it going to be awkward playing that one with my family?

I found this on BGG that appears to be a spoiler free list of why it got the mature warning:
      Spoiler tagged just in case and for long list.
      Mature Rating in Estrella Drive...

Sex
      -Nudity (mainly bare breasts)
      -Reference to gay couple (if that should be a problem?)
      -Prostitution
      -Glamorization of picking up women
      -Overall sexualized themes in certain locations/events
      -Reference to couple having slept together (had sex?)
      -Bikini bottom
      -Deck of cards with women in sexually suggestive positions/clothes
      -Reference to dating "older men"

Violence
      -Lots of blood/gore in relation to murders
      -Dead/mutilated body (very graphic)
      -Knives (presented as murder weapons)
      -Gun violence
      -Reference to murders
      -Suicide attempt
      -Violent supernatural events
      -Creepy/disturbing characters
      -Physical/verbal fighting
      -Intense murder sequence
      -Overal threatening/menacing themes

Drugs
      -Many references to drugs
      -Use of Peyote
      -Smoking pot/cigarettes
      -Cocaine (presented in many game forms)
      -Drug addict
      -Drug overdose (pills)
      -A drunk guy (acting accordingly)
      -Angry character in relation to drinking
      -Reference to dealing drugs
      -Various high people

Language
      -Fuck
      -Bitch ("bitching")
      -Ass
      -Slut
      -Shit
      -Middle finger

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      Yeah that's pretty close. I think some of the nudity was removed from our version but everything else was certainly there.

Minor plot spoiler:
      Think "Manson Family"...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
      Fairchild wrote: »
      Oy. You know you're in trouble in GLOOMHAVEN when you draw a Monster activity card and it has a paragraph of text on it...

"Attack +4"
      "Move + 5"
      "Target 4"

is all you need to have a really bad day. no paragraph needed.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
      Going back a bit, surprised nobody suggested Ladies & Gentlemen for our friend looking for a game that went up to 10. True it's only particularly strategic for half the people playing (it's basically 2 games going on simultaneously) but it easily handles the player count and it only gets better when played by couples.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
      edited February 2018
      It's because Ladies & Gentlemen is only fun for half of the people playing.

Darric on
    • AetherAether Registered User regular
      Gloomhaven stuff.
      Doing scenario 2 tonight. I’m the Scoundrel. Party of 3. We mostly clear the first room in the first turn, so 2nd turn I kick in the door, run in, and promptly become invisible. The Cragheart follows and catches the Boss and a fair few minions in a dust tornado.

Turn three I attack with a Attack 4 card. This gets doubled because of my invisibility card, then because I activated my Goggles, I get advantage and draw a x2 card, that’s 16 damage, and to top it off I’ve used my poison dagger.

The Tinkerer follows up with a ink bomb, and HE draws a x2 card, killing the boss on turn 3, before he gets to act. The boss only managed to open 1 door.

So, thanks to some fantastic luck, we finished the 2nd scenario.

Back at Gloomhaven we finish donating 100gp, and get to do that envelope. I’m really enjoying this game.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      CesareB wrote: »
      Going back a bit, surprised nobody suggested Ladies & Gentlemen for our friend looking for a game that went up to 10. True it's only particularly strategic for half the people playing (it's basically 2 games going on simultaneously) but it easily handles the player count and it only gets better when played by couples.

The problem I always had with L&G was that the stock market game was not only pretty bad, but that it was a minigame that required all the players to huddle around a small chunk of a table, and this was massively inconvenient with 4 or 5 people trying to add hands to the mix. Some people will put up with that, but it make it pretty hard to recommend by the same token. Would love to see someone take another stab at that game and try to make both halves fun and competitive. :/

Aether wrote: »
      Gloomhaven stuff.
      Doing scenario 2 tonight. I’m the Scoundrel. Party of 3. We mostly clear the first room in the first turn, so 2nd turn I kick in the door, run in, and promptly become invisible. The Cragheart follows and catches the Boss and a fair few minions in a dust tornado.

Turn three I attack with a Attack 4 card. This gets doubled because of my invisibility card, then because I activated my Goggles, I get advantage and draw a x2 card, that’s 16 damage, and to top it off I’ve used my poison dagger.

The Tinkerer follows up with a ink bomb, and HE draws a x2 card, killing the boss on turn 3, before he gets to act. The boss only managed to open 1 door.

Back at Gloomhaven we finish donating 100gp, and get to do that envelope. I’m really enjoying this game.

How did you manage to donate 10 times in two scenarios? I mean just earning the amount of money required would be a problem in the first two scenarios but i think you can only donate once per scenario, so 4x2 = 8.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      CesareB wrote: »

The problem I always had with L&G was that the stock market game was not only pretty bad, but that it was a minigame that required all the players to huddle around a small chunk of a table, and this was massively inconvenient with 4 or 5 people trying to add hands to the mix. Some people will put up with that, but it make it pretty hard to recommend by the same token. Would love to see someone take another stab at that game and try to make both halves fun and competitive. :/

Yeah, from our play through, it needs a separate smaller or circular table that allows everyone equal access to reach things. Game is definitely fun if people roleplay it though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular

We very had a similar situation play out with a boss fight in one of the later scenarios. No one does single-target damage like the Scoundrel.

We very had a similar situation play out with a boss fight in one of the later scenarios. No one does single-target damage like the Scoundrel.
      You are assuming that the scoundrel is actually doing damage instead of vaccumming up all the coins while the mindthief is doing all the damage.

• FryFry Registered User regular
      azith28 wrote: »
      Fairchild wrote: »
      Oy. You know you're in trouble in GLOOMHAVEN when you draw a Monster activity card and it has a paragraph of text on it...

"Attack +4"
      "Move + 5"
      "Target 4"

is all you need to have a really bad day. no paragraph needed.

Is...is that a real card? We are getting wrecked hard enough by stuff like "Attack +1"

This discussion has been closed.