As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RUST] - If you build it, they will come. And then they will murder you. (New PA Server!)

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I was gifted this recently. I haven't installed yet, but if there's at least one or two people playing semi-regularly I'd love to hang around and be a huge burden.
    I recently picked this up from a humble bundle package.

My experience with public servers have been less than stellar, in large part cause the game decided to give me a female avatar..which results in all sorts of unimaginative euphemisms and "uses" for spears and my inevitable corpse.

I doubt there are any PA servers?

I don't think I can enjoy this game. The optimization is garbage, so my normally beefy PC can't run it at anything other than minimum settings, and every person you meet is actively hostile, but it's not even like I could possibly have anything they want. They just don't have anything better to do. I'm probably putting this away for good.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I was gifted this recently. I haven't installed yet, but if there's at least one or two people playing semi-regularly I'd love to hang around and be a huge burden.

My experience with public servers have been less than stellar, in large part cause the game decided to give me a female avatar..which results in all sorts of unimaginative euphemisms and "uses" for spears and my inevitable corpse.

I don't think I can enjoy this game. The optimization is garbage, so my normally beefy PC can't run it at anything other than minimum settings, and every person you meet is actively hostile, but it's not even like I could possibly have anything they want. They just don't have anything better to do. I'm probably putting this away for good.

Pretty much been my experience. Out of the hundred or so lives I've tried so far..I think 5 of them got far enough to have a stone tool. They don't even loot my corpses, as I've found them a few times and they were still loaded stuff.

I don't mind PVP or base raiding, but christ this is just stupid. Spawn areas littered with top tier bases with heavily armed people who rush out to kill every fresh spawn is just fucking cuntish behavior.

As for performance. I guarantee my PC is worse than yours, and I've not had much issue, and I've got most the shinnies on or near max. Does takes like 15 minutes to load the assets when I connect to a server, however.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular

Pretty much been my experience. Out of the hundred or so lives I've tried so far..I think 5 of them got far enough to have a stone tool. They don't even loot my corpses, as I've found them a few times and they were still loaded stuff.

I don't mind PVP or base raiding, but christ this is just stupid. Spawn areas littered with top tier bases with heavily armed people who rush out to kill every fresh spawn is just fucking cuntish behavior.

As for performance. I guarantee my PC is worse than yours, and I've not had much issue, and I've got most the shinnies on or near max. Does takes like 15 minutes to load the assets when I connect to a server, however.

Anyone got a recommendation for a game similar to this, as in: Online, persistent, survival with building a shelter and resource gathering, and some PVP?

I haven't played this in almost a year, and had a urge for a online survival/resource gathering game and was thinking of picking this back up but not if that's still the state of the game.

I remember back very early on in development when they had zombies at the radtowns it WAS fun. I could login in and build a decent home and then go and try my hand at the radtown areas and maybe i get pvp'd and die or maybe a zombie gets me, but it was pretty fun.

Heck there was a PA server where the group I was in had a sweet base up in the moutains, that was a fun month of gaming. Sure we got to the point where we had multiples of everything expect the VERY high end gear and we got a little bored, but it was very early alpha and that's to be expected. You just waiting for the large update that wiped everything and went again.

Then at some point I remember then ditching the zombies, because they were a "placeholder" for hostile animals and they rearranged EVERYTHING and they game just isn't as fun. It's geared for the enjoyment of the dickhead with absolutely nothing better to do than PVP fresh spawns and who knows how to work the system.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Those were the good ol' days.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yea it was fun before the first update. I appreciate they didn't want a zombie game, but it was at least something to do when people weren't around.

• Options
    I tried playing last night and granted it's been a few years since it originally came out, but my aging PC was having some issues playing it smoothly.

I've been holding off building a new one, mainly because I don't have the time to game as much anymore and if I'm not gaming I'm probably not on my desktop.

It was playable, but I got killed a couple times right as I was getting ready to build a place to store my crap quick and got frustrated and quit.

I picked a community server with a good ping and that was only half full. I feel like jumping solo into a sever thats 90+% full is just a bad idea.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Some more recent updates have massively improved early game. Stone Tools are default crafts now. No need to unlock them. New players spawn on the southern part of the map. The southern monuments have little to no radiation, but also don't spawn high level loot. Endgame has shifted north. As you move north the radiation levels get higher but the loot gets a lot better. This is pretty effective at moving the well established players north so you see far fewer gun-toting psychopaths when you're just getting setup. You'll still have the occasional nutter with a rock or a bow, but it's easier to defend against those kind of people.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Some more recent updates have massively improved early game. Stone Tools are default crafts now. No need to unlock them. New players spawn on the southern part of the map. The southern monuments have little to no radiation, but also don't spawn high level loot. Endgame has shifted north. As you move north the radiation levels get higher but the loot gets a lot better. This is pretty effective at moving the well established players north so you see far fewer gun-toting psychopaths when you're just getting setup. You'll still have the occasional nutter with a rock or a bow, but it's easier to defend against those kind of people.

Not in my experience, heh.

Every server I played had big stone bases right where i spawned, and had people in metal armor and guns rush out to kill me when they saw me.

I thought DayZ's community had devolved into cuntishness, but holy hell Rust takes it up a notch, then drowns it in meth.

• Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    The days when I played along with fellow PA'ers (Big Dookie, Bigity, Zway and others) was fun. We had our established bases and would run raids against the other well geared folks on the servers. Every time I've tried to get back into this lately, the game has run terribly, and yep, I've been spawn killed before being able to get far away and well established enough from the spawns to actually make progress. Which is a shame, because the game was fun in the days of zombies!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cmsamo wrote: »
    The days when I played along with fellow PA'ers (Big Dookie, Bigity, Zway and others) was fun. We had our established bases and would run raids against the other well geared folks on the servers. Every time I've tried to get back into this lately, the game has run terribly, and yep, I've been spawn killed before being able to get far away and well established enough from the spawns to actually make progress. Which is a shame, because the game was fun in the days of zombies!

Agreed. I play as Bucky and remember those days. If the game ran better for me I'd almost suggest we find a 30-40% full server and try to coordinate some early game cooperative with PAers. Safety in numbers and all that

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    I've been playing Conan Exiles, and it makes me miss Rust. For those still playing, any interest in finding a recently wiped server and dominating?

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    xsuluybvfhtb.jpg

Good times! Over 3 years ago..

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I still love the game by the way, even though RUST has changed a lot. They've added a lot of fun content. Lots of stuff to encourage player interactions. The building system is so simple but lets you build very complex structures. I think the game's interface is really well designed as a whole, and it all sits on top of some extremely solid gunplay mechanics.

If you are new to the game I recommend joining a server with a low population in order to learn the mechanics, you have to be pretty good to survive on the big official servers these days. You still run into players on low pop servers, but you have a bit more space to breathe and get established.

If anyone ever wants some help learning the game, give me a buzz. I tend to play on smaller servers.

There is not much that beats the unique thrill of playing Rust on a wipe day.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    I've been playing around with double wall bases recently. Someone on Youtube found a super simple method for 2x2 double walls that is proving to be a very effective starting point.

You start out with a square 2x2 with a triangle block on each edge. You demo 3 of the 4 inner squares and start building triangles around the edge of the last block. Once you have the first couple down you demo the last square and finish building triangles. You can extend the design upward quite easily because the ceiling tiles can be squares. With the current design only the walls are doubled up. I've got an idea in mind that might give you a 2 story inner core with double ceilings too. Adding a roof will make it triple strength. The triangle foundations on the outside make it super easy to honeycomb the walls.

• Options
    I'm doing it. I'm necro-ing the shit out of this thread because the game is leaving Early Access, and I love this freaking game.

Any interest in getting a PA crew together? I was planning to hop on later tonight.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I stumbled across this thanks to the necro'ing. Saw that Rust has officially released and was wondering if there were PA'ers who had some sort of group going, 'cos judging from reviews on the store page this is a game that seems like it'd be incredibly un-fun going into solo.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Playing Solo is the hard life in Rust. I tend to stick to solo/duo servers when I'm rolling solo. I'd be down for getting a crew together and finding a server to roll on.

• Options
    Some of the most fun times I ever had were playing with the big group of PA guys back in the day. I’m curious about maybe firing this up again now that it’s out of Early Access.

OP is super out of date. If anyone would like to write an updated version, I’ll be happy to post it. I just haven’t been up enough on the game lately to do it myself.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I had noticed the other day I have an extra key for rust, so I was thinking about streaming it and doing a giveaway. I'd prefer to play on a PA server since its not usually full of 12 year olds who want burn and salt my fields 24/7.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I could be convinced to give this a shot if y'all start playing somewhat regularly.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Ditto for that. Seeing the really old screenshot of our super base brought back some fun memories.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I will totally be a grumpy hermit on a PA server.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    If someone hosts a PA server I would be all over that. I imagine it wouldn't have a ton of population, but I'm OK with a slower paced Rust. In the meantime, I could be convinced to try and get established on a smaller server. We could link up on Discord. I just got a shack down on Vanilla community server, but the server pop might be a bit high for some.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Goddam I love me some rust.

I'd be willing to drop a few bucks in for hosting, or we could find a decent server as a homebase. Anyone on right now?

Double edit: Are we still using "Rusty Wangs" as our PA Group on Steam?

Yall on
  • Options
    Is the Rusty Wangs group still around? If so might as well keep using it.

I went ahead and reinstalled last night. Thinking I may jump on for a bit this evening or tonight to get reacquainted. I can’t wait to get murdered!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I've been playing on "Vanilla - Low Pop - Fun Time" if anyone is interested...

• Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Is the Rusty Wangs group still around? If so might as well keep using it.

I went ahead and reinstalled last night. Thinking I may jump on for a bit this evening or tonight to get reacquainted. I can’t wait to get murdered!

And yeah Big made me a mod on the group so I can add those of you who aren't already members. Let's hit shit with a rock, kids!!!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Base is right on line at I5/I6, near top of grid square, just south of gas station.

Code is 6986.

W.A.N.G. sign so you'll know it's ours. ;)

2 PA'ers on now - join us!!!

Yall on
  • Options
    Still hoping to jump on in an hour or two. Might be a late night in Rust!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I did jump on for a bit. Got acquainted with the new UI, found the base, got killed a couple of times. Definitely felt like Rust!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    We've got 2 decent, small bases. We'll have a 3rd soon (raiding a neighbor).

• Options
    I can probably hop on later tonight! Looking forward to it.

• Options
    I'll post the coordinates for everything. I'm building a gathering/research shack between the airfield and the military tunnels.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I figured out how to make Ya'll an officer in the WANG steam group. I can add others if needed as well.

• Options
    So it is low pop and most folks while not super hostile will wound you and take your weapons. Just an FYI...

• Options
    Trying out the server Yall is on for maybe an hour or so. Steam ID is Reginald Witch.

• Options
    Logging on now.

• Options
    Damn, I forgot how fun this game can be just running around building stuff.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I adore the construction system in this game. It's a relatively simple system but allows for complex creations.

Rust is an exercise in excellent UI design.

• Options
    Oh snap, Big Dookie. I just raided you. Feel free to take what you need from the WANG bases.