As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Space combat
    Geth, roll 3d10t6 for cruisers
    Geth, roll 1d10t9 for fighter

cruisers:
    3d10t6 1 [3d10t6=3, 3, 8]
    fighter:
    1d10t9 0 [1d10t9=3]

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    1 hit. @Brody to assign hit and fire back.
    My two infantry will then be attempting to take the planet.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Vefut II only has the one ship, do they fire concurrently?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Yes, both sides fire at once.

Oops, I suppose I actually should have gotten a space cannon roll first. If that had hit, you wouldn't have had a chance to fire back. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Geth roll 1d10t9

1d10t9 0 [1d10t9=7]

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• beetfarmerbeetfarmer Registered User regular
    On February 2nd, Hedgethorn wrote:

Activate the Centauri/Gral system.
    Move Carrier + 3 fighters from Corneeo/Resculon to Centauri/Gral.
    Use Arborec's Infantry Production to produce two more infantry, one on Centauri and one on Gral (Cost=0 because of Sarween Tools).

Today, Hedgethorn wrote:

Activate Vefut III.
    Move two Cruisers from Nestphar to Vefut III, picking up one infantry and one fighter from Centuari.
    Move one Cruiser from Quann to Vefut III, picking up one infantry from Centauri.

@Brody for a PDS roll from New Albion.

I think the Gral /Centauri system has been activated already this round so that won't allow the Arborec cruisers to pick up there.

49.4 sub note

-The ship can move through systems that contain its own faction’s command tokens.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah it can move through activated systems,you just can't pick up from activated systems

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Ah, right.

Oh crap, yeah those orders are all messed up. Can't grab the cruiser from Quann either, as Quann is already activate.

I'll fix it later today. I still have enough unactivated cruisers, fighters, and infantry to patch my assault together.

I corrected my orders on the last page. (Just to repeat those orders here, I moved two Cruisers from Nestphar to Vefut III, picking up two infantry from Resculon and Corneeq along the way, and moved one Cruiser and fighter from Resculon to Vefut III.)

@Brody hasn't played any cards to impede my announced invasion of Vefut III, so I assume I'm free to begin ground combat. I'll roll for both sides just to speed things along.

Ground Combat on Vefut III: 2 invading Arborec infantry vs. 1 defending Letnev infantry.

Geth, roll 2d10t8 for Arborec
    Geth, roll 1d10t8 for Letnev

Arborec:
    2d10t8 1 [2d10t8=9, 3]
    Letnev:
    1d10t8 1 [1d10t8=9]

One hit on each side. Arborec takes Vefut III. Use infantry production power to build a second infantry on Vefut III (cost = 0 due to Sarween tools).

PASS turn. @MrBody for Status Phase.
    Arborec uses racial power to place one infantry on Corneeq for the status phase.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    So it was just those two actions card and one attack since the update.

Claim Objectives

It's going to be a while for another update. Everyone to claim up to one public and one secret objective.

MrBody on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    No objectives for me.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Claim public objective:Diversify Research - Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors. 1 VP
    Claim secret objective: Establish a Perimeter - Have 4 PDS units on the board. 1 VP

Claim public objective: Develop Weaponry - Own 2 unit upgrade technologies. 1 VP
    Claim secret objective: Control the Region - Have at least 1 ship in 6 or more systems. 1 VP

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Hmm, I just noticed that the status update posts have been saying that there is a component limit of 5 PDS. I believe that limit should actually be 6.

Discard 2 tokens from Tactic Pool and 1 token from Strategy Pool to claim public objective "Lead from the Front": Spend a total of 3 tokens from your Tactic and/or Strategy pools. (TP 4 --> 2, SP 2 --> 1; VP 5 --> 6)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Claim Develop Weaponry - Own 2 unit upgrade technologies. VP 4->5
    @Brody is the only one missing now.

Sorry, busy weekend. I don't believe I fulfill any objectives currently.

1 Token in Strategy, 1 Token in Tactics.

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    1 Tactic, 1 Strategy. T3/F6/S1->T4/F6/S2

Reveal Public Objective

Revolutionalize Warfare- Own 3 unit upgrade technologies. 2 VP

Well, well, well ...

That's an interesting objective.

Two to tactics. (Resulting in Tactics 3; Fleet 3; Strategy 1)

1 Tactics, 1 Strategy, for 3:4:3.

Two in fleet, one in strategy

Just waiting on a discard decision then will move to agenda.

Discard Action Card "Upgrade" to comply with hand limits. (AC 8 --> 7)

Allocate 1 counter to each of Tactic and Strategy pools. (TP 2 --> 3; SP 1 --> 2)

@MrBody to kick off the Agenda phase.

Action card text:
    Upgrade
    After you activate a system that contains 1 or more of your ships: Replace 1 of your cruisers in that system with 1 dreadnought from your reinforcements.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2018
    Round 6 - Agenda Phase

Map
    NOGSEjam.png
    full map

(unit visual reference)
    (max component restrictions per player: 8 destroyers, 8 cruisers, 4 carriers, 5 dreadnoughts, 2 war suns, 6 PDS, 3 space docks)

Objectives
    Public
    I - Lead from the Front - Spend a total of 3 tokens from your strategy and/or tactics pool. 1 VP Jol-Nar L1z1x
    I - Diversify Research - Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors. 1 VP Creuss Jol-nar
    I- Develop Weaponry - Own 2 unit upgrade technologies. 1 VP Creuss Letnev L1z1x Arborec Winnu
    I- Negotiate Trade Routes - Spend 5 trade goods. 1 VP Jol-Nar Letnev Winnu L1z1x
    I- Erect a Monument - Spend 8 resources. 1 VP Letnev Jol-Nar Arborec L1z1x
    II- Manipulate Galactic Law- Spend 16 influence. 2 VP Jol-Nar
    II- Form Galactic Brain Trust- Control 5 planets with technology specialties. 2 VP
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II - ???

Secret
    Letnev Spark a rebellion - Win a combat against a player who has the most victory points. 1 VP
    Winnu Gather a Mighty Fleet - Have 5 dreadnoughts on the board. 1 VP
    Unveil Flagship- Win a battle with your flagship present. 1 VP
    L1z1x - Secrets of the Cosmos Have one or more ships in 3 systems that are each adjacent to an anomaly. 1 VP.
    Arborec Become the gatekeeper - Have at least 1 ship in a system containing an alpha wormhole and at least 1 ship in a system containing a beta wormhole. 1 VP
    Control the Region - Have at least 1 ship in 6 or more systems. 1 VP
    Jol-Nar - Establish a Perimeter - Have 4 PDS units on the board. 1 VP

Other
    Creuss- Imperial Rider 1 VP, Custodians 1 VP, Letnev Support from the throne 1 VP
    Letnev- Imperial strategy 1 VP
    Arborec- Imperial strategy 1 VP, Crown of Emphidia 1 VP, Winnu Support for the Throne 1 VP
    Winnu- Arborec Support for the throne 1VP
    L1z1x- Imperial strategy 1 VP

Victory Track
    MrBlarney - 6
    Elvenshae - 5
    Mojo - 7
    Hedgethorn - 7
    Brody - 5
    Preda - 5
    Technologies
    Ciz5AvY.png

Promissory notes (any player may give these to another. "Black player" is just the example; insert your own color)
    Race specific promissory notes (only the stated race may give these)

Laws
    (exhausted) Research Team: Propulsion (Thibah)
    When the owner of this planet researches technology, they may exhaust this card to ignore 1 blue prerequisite.

Deep Core Mining (Bereg)
    +2 resources on this planet

(Sakulag)
    +1 resources +1 influence

Minister of Commerce (Letnev)
    After the owner of this card replenishes commodities, he gains 1 trade good for each player who is his neighbor.

The Crown of Emphidia (Arborec)
    The elected player gains this card and 1 victory point.
    A player gains this card and 1 victory point if they capture a planet in the owner's home system. Then the previous owner loses 1 victory point.

Player mats

MrBlarney
    7 action cards
    2 secret objectives
    1 claimed- Secrets of the Cosmos Have one or more ships in 3 systems that are each adjacent to an anomaly. 1 VP.
    Creuss promissory: Cease Fire- After the Creuss player activates a system containing your units: The Creuss player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the Creuss player
    8Ta3LY4.png

Elvenshae
    5 action cards
    2 secret objectives
    Letnev promissory note: Support from the throne. Gain 1 victory point. If you activate a system containing Letnev's units, lose 1 victory point and return this card to the Letnev player.
    L1z1x promissory: Cease Fire- After the L1z1x player activates a system containing your units: The L1z1x player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the L1z1x player
    Jol-Naw promissory: Research agreement- After the Jol-Nar player researches a technology, you may research the same technology. Then, return this note to the Jol-Nar player
    tKMJxrq.png

Mojo
    4 action cards
    2 secret objectives
    Arborec promissory: Cease Fire- After the Arborec player activates a system containing your units: The Arborec player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the Arborec player
    Letnev promissory note: Political Secret- When an agenda is revealed: The Letnev player cannot vote, use action cards, or use faction abilities until after the agenda has been resolved. Then return this card to the Letnev player.
    WmPSzae.png

Hedgethorn **Speaker**
    4 action cards
    2 secret objectives
    (1 claimed) Become the gatekeeper - Have at least 1 ship in a system containing an alpha wormhole and at least 1 ship in a system containing a beta wormhole. 1 VP
    Crown of Emphidia - Law - A player gains this card and 1 victory point if they capture a planet in the owner's home system. Then the previous owner loses 1 victory point.
    Winnu promissory note: Support from the throne. Gain 1 victory point. If you activate a system containing Winnu's units, lose 1 victory point and return this card to the Winnu player.
    LHXAXc8.png

Brody
    2 action cards
    0 secret objectives
    1 claimed secret objective- Spark a rebellion - Win a combat against a player who has the most victory points. 1 VP
    Winnu promissory: Cease Fire- After the Winnu player activates a system containing your units: The Winnu player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the Winnu player
    Minister of Commerce- After the owner of this card replenishes commodities, he gains 1 trade good for each player who is his neighbor.
    9vra072.png

Preda
    5 action cards
    1 secret objectives
    2 claimed- Gather a Mighty Fleet - Have 5 dreadnoughts on the board. 1 VP
    Unveil Flagship- Win a battle with your flagship present. 1 VP
    Letnev promissory: Cease Fire- After the Letnev player activates a system containing your units: The Letnev player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the Letnev player
    Arborec promissory note: Support from the throne. Gain 1 victory point. If you activate a system containing Arborec's units, lose 1 victory point and return this card to the Arborec player.
    07y6n78.png

MrBody on
    edited February 2018
    Agenda Phase

vogons-buena-vista1.jpg

Letnev 6 votes
    Winnu 12 votes
    L1z1x 16 votes
    Creuss 7 votes
    Jol-Nar 13 votes
    Arborec 16 votes

1st agenda

Compensated Disarmement - Elect Planet

Destroy each ground force on that planet. For each unit on that planet, the controlling player gains 1 trade good.

24 hours for cards and discussion

MrBody on
    This would be a great way to get my ground force off Lazar. But it's kind of hard to justify paying for any votes

Yeah. I'll put, like, 1 vote on Lazar if no one else is really driving for anything and this'll otherwise go nowhere.

Hmm, I think there's a few corrections to be made in the map and voting status.

- The map still shows 1 Letnev Carrier in the Vefut II system. It was destroyed, yes?
    - Status update also states 5 PDS as that unit's limit, where it should be 6.
    - Winnu was the speaker last turn; Arborec is the current speaker. That means that Letnev will have the first vote.
    - I only count 6 votes for Letnev, not 7.

As for the agenda, that's an interesting one. There don't seem to be any exceptions on which planet could be targeted, so Mecatol Rex and its three Infantry are fair game. Zohbat (3 Winnu Infantry), Wellon (4 Jol-Nar Infantry), Nar (3 Jol-Nar Infantry), Quann (3 Arborec Infantry), Centauri (3 Arborec Infantry), and Mehar Xull (4 Letnev Infantry) are the other planets with large ground armies. Of course, it should also be noted that the target gets twice their resource investment back in the form of Trade Goods, so a single Production step could bring back all the destroyed Infantry, or more.

My gut inclination is to target Mehar Xull or Wellon for their immediate threats to control of Mecatol Rex, slightly favoring Jol-Nar due to their lead in the VP race. Arborec and Jol-Nar both have good chances for victory next round, thanks to the accessibility of the "Revolutionize Warfare" objective. On the other hand, Jol-Nar is already swarming with Trade Goods, so giving them more to work with is a possibly bad idea. Makes me wonder if the tradeoffs are worth it.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I'm not going to object if people want to hand me some trade goods

edited February 2018
    Mojo will likely win this round if something isn't done. He has at least 1 SO in hand, and a 2 point PO has been served up for him on a platter.

Hedgethorn is in basically the same position, being one tech secondary away from the new 2pt PO.

Brody on

I'm guessing Arborec and Jol-Nar will get into some scuffles in the upcoming round, but probably not to the extent of beating each other up to a mutually disabling level. There'll need to be commitment and luck from other players to get everything to do that.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Brody wrote: »
    Mojo will likely win this round if something isn't done. He has at least 1 SO in hand, and a 2 point PO has been served up for him on a platter.

Hedgethorn is in basically the same position, being one tech secondary away from the new 2pt PO.

MrBlarney is effectively in the same position as he currently holds Metacol Rex and is one tech secondary away from that new objective. Funny how he's calling for a united front against me and hedgethorn :)

Hedgethorn's speaker giving him first pick puts him in with the strongest shot.

Anyway, we've had 24 hours

@brody to vote

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

MrBlarney is effectively in the same position as he currently holds Metacol Rex and is one tech secondary away from that new objective. Funny how he's calling for a united front against me and hedgethorn :)

Hedgethorn's speaker giving him first pick puts him in with the strongest shot.
    I have one fewer VP than you and Hedgethorn, and since I probably won't be getting Imperial next round or will be forcefully kicked out of Mecatol Rex, I'll probably be limited to three VPs at the most in the next Status Phase. Unless someone wants to trade their Support for the Throne with me (and given the closeness to endgame, prices will likely be very high), I'm actually in the worse position compared to you two.

4463rwiq7r47.png