As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics! New Heroes! New Justice League! Old Watchmen! Aquaman Movie!

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
edited February 2018 in Social Entropy++
The last thread has been sitting at Page 100 for like 3 days soooo

DC! They're good now! Ever since 2016's Rebirth initiative DC's been on a (mostly) hot streak with a wide variety of great books covering every corner of their universe.

Some of the highlights are:
Mister Miracle by Tom King and Mitch Gerads
Batman by Tom King and Various Artists including David Finch, Mikel Janin and Clay Mann
Superman by Pete Tomasi and Pat Gleason
Deathstroke by Christopher Priest and Various Artists including Carlo Pagulayan and Joe Bennett
All-Star Batman by Scott Snyder and JRJR, Jock and Rafael Albuquerque
The Flintstones by Mark Russell and Steve Pugh
And a whole bunch more

Currently DC is wrapping up it's first big post-Rebirth event, Metal, which has been an absolute blast and completely insane. Spinning out of Metal they have launched the New Age of Heroes line, a series of books starring either brand new creations or revamps of existing characters, notably placing an emphasis on artists and giving creators royalties and partial ownership of their new creations.

fnm5tokpfphp.jpg

The books are:
The Silencer by JRJR and Dan Abnett. Starring the world's greatest assassin, Honor Guest, who managed to get out of the criminal underworld and start a family, but is dragged back in after new leadership removes her former boss: Talia Al Ghul.

Damage by Tony Daniel and Robert Vendetti. It's the Hulk, but he only Hulks for an hour each day. That's the whole thing.

Sideways by Kenneth Rocafort, Dan Didio and Justin Jordan. A wisecracking, acrobatic young hero who wears a full body suit with expressive eyes. Luckily he isn't just straight up Spider-Man because instead of fighting old men in animal costumes, he will be exploring the dark Multiverse and bumping up against cosmic entities between his normal life errands.

The Terrifics by Ivan Reis, Doc Shaner and Jeff Lemire. Seeing a noticeably fantastic gap in the comics market, Lemire has brought together Plastic Man, Mr. Terrific, Metamorpho and an all-new Phantom Lass to explore the newly expanded DC Multiverse as a very dysfunctional family.

The Curse of Brimstone by Phillip Tan and Justin Jordan. A straight up horror book, Joe Chamberlain's small town is dying. With no industry to fuel it, it's slowly withering away and he can't find a way to stop it. Just as he is about to give up, a mysterious stranger offers him a bargain: save his town, but he now has to work for the stranger. Joe shortly learns it's a literal deal with the devil and with his soul bound for hell and new demonic abilities, he's turned into his own worst nightmare.

The Immortal Men by Jim Lee and James Tynion IV. There has been a war raging since the dawn of man. Fought between two different factions for millennia, their ranks filled with special metahumans who share their ancestry. A pair of newly revealed metas get dragged into the middle this conflict, and have to choose whose side they're on. Also there's a dude named GHOSTFIST.

The New Challengers by Andy Kubert and Scott Snyder. To be honest, not much about this one. It's been mostly off the radar other than the basic concept of a bunch of adventurers bound together by an accident and fleeing death itself.

The Unexpected by Ryan Sook and Steve Orlando. Made up of a team of rebooted forgotten DC characters, they are all jerks who don't like each other but like the world ending even less. Luckily, they're the only ones who can stop that from happening.

90p8ljketit8.jpg

DC is also relaunching their Justice League line, ending the 2 current books and replacing them with a 4-issue weekly miniseries event, No Justice, by Scott Snyder, Joshua Williamson, James Tynion IV and Francis Manapul. Splitting the League (plus some friends and enemies) into 4 color-coordinated teams led by Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Flash. After the dust settles they will launch Justice League by Snyder (no artist named) and unannounced JL family books by Williamson, Tynion and another secret writer.

cs2n6j73ke9p.jpg

Brian Bendis is ending his 17 year run at Marvel to take over Superman and Action Comics, beginning with a story in Action Comics #1000 and a 5 issue miniseries, Man of Steel with a murderer's row of artists including Doc Shaner, Ivan Reis and more.

Doomsday Clock, the DCU/Watchmen crossover, is still ongoing and has moved to a bi-monthly schedule.

Aquaman has a movie! Trailer should be coming soon.

YOUNG ANIMAL IS A THING TOO

gn3ppwjixtco.png
DC's weirdest imprint, masterminded by Gerard Way, is still going strong with Milk Wars, a ridiculous crossover with the mainstream DCU titles, currently ongoing. After it wraps up, 3 of its 4 ongoings (Cave Carson, Mother Panic and Shade) will be relaunching with a new "season" of issues. Doom Patrol wont be relaunched because it only comes out once every 3 or 4 months as is.

There will also be an Eternity Girl miniseries from Magdalene Vissagio and Sonny Lies, following a suicidal former superhero who discovers the only way to end it all is to very literally end it all and wipe out the universe.

CYpGAPn.png
BlankZoe on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Aw beans, I hit the post button with my dumb thumb.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Zack this has been sitting here for 40 minutes and you haven't finished it

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it's too late now

we have all seen his latest failure

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    it's too late now

Oh I'm sure he's failed since then

Grey Ghost wrote: »

I AM AT WORK

CYpGAPn.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I AM AT WORK

Not very hard, clearly

There, you animals

CYpGAPn.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There, you animals

That's a good point, your OP doesn't talk about the Young Animal imprint at all

Fencingsax wrote: »
    it's too late now

Oh I'm sure he's failed since then

this is a fair point

it was forty whole minutes

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    There, you animals

it's actually Young Animal

I hate each and every one of you

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Here's a trailer of the English dub of Ninja Batman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08dHXfIprYE

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So is the unexpected like the... Seven? Twelve? That Marvel tried to do... maybe 8 years ago? And couldn't finish?

Fencingsax wrote: »
    So is the unexpected like the... Seven? Twelve? That Marvel tried to do... maybe 8 years ago? And couldn't finish?
    Not really. It isn't taking old golden age characters and dumping them in the modern day, it is taking old character names and mantles and making new versions of them

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Dark Nights: The Wild Hunt was fucking awesome and those last 2 pages have me hype

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I AM AT WORK

you're fired

Keith wrote: »
    Dark Nights: The Wild Hunt was fucking awesome and those last 2 pages have me hype
    Holy shit you weren't kidding

This issue owns bones and also the final reveal is one of the most beautifully insane things I've ever seen in a major event story. It's wonderful

For the curious
    The issue is narrated by Detective Chimp and he is a major focus of it.

The issue builds toward an ending with the Dark Knights tricking Raven, Cyborg and Flash into sabotaging the Multiverse and executing Barbatos' plan to corrupt and absorb all of the 52 prime universes.

But they are saved at the last moment. By a secret 53rd universe. One that has the very essence of pure heroism and wonder that will save the day.

It is also inhabited entirely by superhero apes.
    Because DC, you see, stands for Detective Chimp.

CYpGAPn.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    All of this DC news is good and all, but what about DC's greatest character?

Starro.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    yeah zack

what's starro up to

zack

6vjsgrerts6r.png

yeah zack

what's starro up to

zack
    Last we saw, Hal Jordan kicked all 5 of his asses

He'll be back in May for No Justice

CYpGAPn.png
    booooooo

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Hal was very mad because Starro called him a loser!

It was mean!

CYpGAPn.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

It was mean!

I support Starro in this exchange.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Starro has 0 asses

He is a starfish blank

They don't have asses

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

It was mean!

#starrowasright

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Starro has 0 asses

He is a starfish blank

They don't have asses
    edlvl6ah9134.png

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

This issue owns bones and also the final reveal is one of the most beautifully insane things I've ever seen in a major event story. It's wonderful

For the curious

The issue builds toward an ending with the Dark Knights tricking Raven, Cyborg and Flash into sabotaging the Multiverse and executing Barbatos' plan to corrupt and absorb all of the 52 prime universes.

But they are saved at the last moment. By a secret 53rd universe. One that has the very essence of pure heroism and wonder that will save the day.

Oh, you thought this was a Batman comic?
    JUST KIDDING

JL APES SAVE THE MULTIVERSE

I liked Sideways #1! It definitely a little too "middle aged dudes writing teens" at times but not overwhelmingly (much better than, say, Champions) and Derek is a pretty fun Peter Parker-esque lead with a rad suit and really neat powers. It's a bummer the end reveal of the issue was ran as a preview in books for the past month or two so it had zero weight, but it was still a fun book. Best of the NAoH launches so far

CYpGAPn.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

For the curious

Oh, you thought this was a Batman comic?
    JUST KIDDING

JL APES SAVE THE MULTIVERSE

Metal is pretty Metal like that.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited February 2018
    I have no idea what happened in Wild Hunt
    Edit: I mean I know but I don't know

Grey Ghost on
    I have no idea what happened in Wild Hunt
    Edit: I mean I know but I don't know

If you don't know, now you know

Bruno Bichir has been cast as Doom Patrol's Niles Caulder in Titans
    oraesvvuw46m.jpg
    Yeah, sure, alright

CYpGAPn.png
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    is that the Professor X analogue?

Yeah, he's Professor X but more of an outright asshole and also responsible for the team's various accidents in most incarnations

CYpGAPn.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Speaking of Doom Patrol, I picked up the first couple issues of Milk Wars (JLA/Doom Patrol, Mother Panic/Batman, Wonder Woman/Shade) and it's very good.

Barring some recent... monkey business this might be my favorite crossover going on at DC right now.

Tairu on
    oac6hldhw48c.jpeg
    Rick Baker made a Joker bust

It's creepy as shit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Not a fan of that Joker.

I like it as A Horror Joker

Not for like, general Joker use

CYpGAPn.png
    It'd make for a great live action "A Serious House on a Serious Earth" Joker

Love that Joker!

This discussion has been closed.