As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Half-Life

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Half-Life

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Or the fountain of youth!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    poipoigirl wrote: »
    Or the fountain of youth!

They already said Adderall right there in the strip!

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    As someone in their late 30's, this comic is relevant to my interests.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I fall into this trap all the time by watching people who are good at games play them. It makes me think I can play stuff like Rainbow Six: Siege and Battlefield 1... and then I try to play those games and the harsh reality sets in.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I fall into this trap all the time by watching people who are good at games play them. It makes me think I can play stuff like Rainbow Six: Siege and Battlefield 1... and then I try to play those games and the harsh reality sets in.

I mean, if you've got people you like who you play them with, even if you're all terrible, it's probably still a good time.

steam_sig.png
  • bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    The solution? Play only with similar age opponents, if possible. A seniors league. ;-)

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    git yung

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    As someone in their late 30's, this comic is relevant to my interests.

Doubly frustrating when you did used to top leaderboards and the like when you were in your early 20s. I can almost feel the increased lag time in my synapses sometimes and it's hard to get into competitive modes in a lot of games now as a result. The palpable decline in reaction time brings forth existential despair.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    As someone approaching 50 I support this, and should you actually find the Time machine, I demand access!

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    KagatoAC wrote: »
    As someone approaching 50 I support this, and should you actually find the Time machine, I demand access!

At 41, when I see high level Pharah players, my brain wants to scream "hax!!!" even though I know they're just damn good (and probably half my age like the comic the says).

Hax will always be easier for my brain to accept, though.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Einaudi-EnthusiastEinaudi-Enthusiast Registered User regular
    As my interest is in getting pari-mutuel wagering on e-gaming legalized on a national level covered under the Wire Act, this panel brings up very good questions on regulation of the players:
    1) How much "chemical talent" will e-gaming allow?
    1a) Who will determine at what point Adderall goes from "therapeutic levels" to "performance-enhancing levels"?
    2) Will e-gaming go for an impossible dream: "clean gaming"?
    3) Who will do the testing?
    3a) Which type of testing will be used? A Gas-Chromatography Mass Spectrometer is considered the best mass-produced substance-detection method, but there are always going to be players willing to try anything to get an edge--something that a GCMS test will find, but not for months or years until lab researcher can reverse the residue to figure out what it was, originally. Do we want e-gaming heroes to testify before Congress 20 years after the fact that they were all "coked to their eyeballs" (to use an old racing phrase)?
    4) Will Out-Of-Competition testing be required of all players? Elite players?
    5) What will the penalties be for medication violations? Who will be empowered to enforce these rules?

Hmm, I think I may have a research project proposal forming...

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I'm 31 and and couldn't play Call of Duty anymore 5 years ago. By the time I have my aim my face is already a bullet sponge.

D083uBC.jpg
    Ravelle wrote: »
    I'm 31 and and couldn't play Call of Duty anymore 5 years ago. By the time I have my aim my face is already a bullet sponge.

I couldn't blame my poor gameplay on jumpjets and wallrunning anymore with CoD WW2. I had to accept the fact that I just can't hang.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PavioPavio Registered User regular
    I'm 32 and in Master with Pharah as my main, and I rarely touch the ground. I think it's largely about time put in... which I have put in too much of...

But at the same time, I agree, I've been slipping and there is a difference. My brothers and I made it to the finals of the Overwatch tournament at PAX West and while we hung with the teenagers who ended up winning (we took the first map and lost the next 2) it was definitely difficult. Our team was 25, 30, and 32.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Wait, wouldnt a time machine just bring you back in time in your current age?

Sadgasm wrote: »

Wait, wouldnt a time machine just bring you back in time in your current age?

Yes, and if it's made by Razer, it's going to break almost immediately.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I want to lie to myself and blame my inability to play these games competitively is all due to the age gap. What makes that hard is when I remember both of my brothers consistently trouncing me in Halo (as in, just Halo, no number next to it) back in the day, and they're three and four years older than me.

• OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    "There's totally a few 30+ pro FPS players, everyone!" he said, lying to himself and everyone.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    does the Razer Time Machine have RGB LEDs? because if no, no sale.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Given how many professional athletes in physical sports that exist in the 30+ age range I have a hard time blaming it on age so quickly.

DemonStacey on
    Given how many professional athletes in physical sports that exist in the 30+ age range I have a hard time blaming it age so quickly.

One of the weird things about esports to date is how damn early pros retire from competition. They're frequently dropping out of stuff around age 25 to move to coaching instead, an age where a lot of athletes are hitting their prime. This has mostly been a Starcraft thing though given how other games haven't had as much time to really entrench themselves so I'm curious to see if this changes in something like Overwatch where maybe the veterancy to coordinate with other players will end up trumping pure reflex alone.

Hearthstone is an exception but that's nowhere near as reflex intensive but also nowhere near as lucrative.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Given how many professional athletes in physical sports that exist in the 30+ age range I have a hard time blaming it age so quickly.

One of the weird things about esports to date is how damn early pros retire from competition. They're frequently dropping out of stuff around age 25 to move to coaching instead, an age where a lot of athletes are hitting their prime. This has mostly been a Starcraft thing though given how other games haven't had as much time to really entrench themselves so I'm curious to see if this changes in something like Overwatch where maybe the veterancy to coordinate with other players will end up trumping pure reflex alone.

Hearthstone is an exception but that's nowhere near as reflex intensive but also nowhere near as lucrative.

I think there are a couple of things doing this to StarCraft pros especially: Korea has mandatory military service that you can only postpone for so long, and that lasts something like 4 years, which basically makes you a fossil by the time you get back into the scene. StarCraft is also famously rough on your arms and eyes. Some of the biggest names from Brood War like JaeDong have done irreperable damage to their wrists, hands, and forearms, even though they're only in their late 20s or early 30s.

I think there are a couple of things doing this to StarCraft pros especially: Korea has mandatory military service that you can only postpone for so long, and that lasts something like 4 years, which basically makes you a fossil by the time you get back into the scene. StarCraft is also famously rough on your arms and eyes. Some of the biggest names from Brood War like JaeDong have done irreperable damage to their wrists, hands, and forearms, even though they're only in their late 20s or early 30s.

It's not just the Korean pros that drop out early. Happens to the Americans too for various reasons. The physical aspect of it is definitely a factor for some here too. Applying sports medicine to esports is still fairly new but thankfully being done now.

Steam Profile
  • JackJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm just bad at games, personally. Still love them, but I know I suck. There wasn't some magical time in my life when I was good at them.

Jack on
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Jack wrote: »
    I'm just bad at games, personally. Still love them, but I know I suck. There wasn't some magical time in my life when I was good at them.

Thank god I can always go to XCOM for validation.*

(* As long as I ignore the existence of Impossible.)

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I don’t think it’s necessarily an age thing. I think it’s probably mostly an “I’m a grown-ass man with responsibilities, a job, and kids, and if I wanted to tell all those things to fuck off and just played Overwatch all day, I’d probably be closer to that skill level” thing.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Yeah well, let's see them beat some of the NES games I beat back when I was their age.

(We'll ignore the fact that I probably couldn't beat those games anymore.) ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I don’t think it’s necessarily an age thing. I think it’s probably mostly an “I’m a grown-ass man with responsibilities, a job, and kids, and if I wanted to tell all those things to fuck off and just played Overwatch all day, I’d probably be closer to that skill level” thing.

Agreed, while I think age does seem to be a hindrance, I think time-investment is the real culprit here. And since the ability to do the latter tends to negatively correlate to the former, it exaggerates the effects of aging. Ditto for wear and tear incurred by playing professionally; that's a product of the time being put in, but because the effects kick in as you get older, it makes it look like more of a consequence of age. People look at what pro-gamers can do and ascribe almost magical qualities to it, but that's overlooking the incredible amount of effort they put into training to be able to play at that level.

Speaking from my own experiences, I've always been bad at games, but that's because I've never been able to diligently focus on practicing a specific game for a large amount of hours within a relatively short time necessary to "git gud". Partly because I'm always getting distracted by some other game, and partly because when a game starts to feel like work I develop an almost pathological aversion to sticking with it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    I've never been super awesome at FPS type games, can't really blame it on age.

But I don't buy it as an excuse either. I'm 44 and still play piano and cello, which both require dexterity and speed. If anything I'm better at it now than when I was 20.

• LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I feel this way when it comes to sniping or precision shooting. Maybe it's like my mouse ppi or sensitivity or whatever, or maybe I just suck.

Either way, I embraced this and now I'm the Top 10 Junkrat NA. (Ok, not really, but I've got like 170+ hours logged into the ADHD maniac and on a lot of maps I can deal with a Pharah better than any Soldier, Widow, or McCree.)

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    does the Razer Time Machine have RGB LEDs? because if no, no sale.

Sadly it is only Win95 compatible, so you won't be traveling farther back than that

Rottonapple on

Yea exactly.

I do think part of it is sort of culture related. E-sports culture is coming together more though so we'll see how that changes as time goes on. But I feel like in general sports culture was already built more around doing that sport over and over for years and practicing it to stay on the level. That same idea isn't quite built up for the a lot of the e-sports guys. And a lot of them are kids who are having a good time playing video games and then moving into a professional scene and eventually just sort of burn out. Plenty of guys will say they get burnt out. It's not always fully in their mind as a career so to speak as many of them haven't really planned on it being a career or even worked jobs in general yet so the mind-set is very different.

Just some thoughts I've had on the matter.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    there was a time in COD Modern Warfare where I seriously considered going pro in las vegas.
    it wasn't pure reflex and twitch at that point either. It was getting to the point that I could damn near predict where people would show up around corners and I had quite a few kills that as I did them I screamed haxx on myself because I knew how sketch that would look on the killcam.

then I had to start working so... yea... didn't need that stress in my life anymore and glad for it.

now i can barely keep up with just *watching* the youtubers showing off rainbow 6 and battlefield ww1

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN

Yea exactly.

I do think part of it is sort of culture related. E-sports culture is coming together more though so we'll see how that changes as time goes on. But I feel like in general sports culture was already built more around doing that sport over and over for years and practicing it to stay on the level. That same idea isn't quite built up for the a lot of the e-sports guys. And a lot of them are kids who are having a good time playing video games and then moving into a professional scene and eventually just sort of burn out. Plenty of guys will say they get burnt out. It's not always fully in their mind as a career so to speak as many of them haven't really planned on it being a career or even worked jobs in general yet so the mind-set is very different.

Just some thoughts I've had on the matter.

We don't exactly have a separation between the equivalent of collegiate level competitors and full on professionals either the way we do a lot of other competitive activities too. The one exception I can think of off the top of my head is Blizzard's college team competition for Heroes of the Storm where university affiliated teams duke it out. So we don't have a real way of splitting out the people that were just never really going to try to do this full time after a certain age. Right now everyone has to make it at the highest level to really make a splash in the competitive scene.

Steam Profile
  • ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    As a 36 year old Pharah main who consumes nothing harder than energy drinks, it is not the time machine. Unless you wanna take the time machine back to put in more practice before returning to the "now". ;D

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Joke's on you, I was never good!

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »

My best CoD years, by far, were well after I learned not to engage revoltingly young tweakers in pitched battle, and instead use every dirty but perfectly legitimate trick in the book to gain the upper hand. Cover, concealment, corners, decoys, reverse ambushes. Use their faith in their own indestructability, their reliable overreaction to being bested through strategy and planning, their deeply ingrained need to avenge themselves, and the decisiveness with which they make poor decisions against them.

Probably a very different story in games where characters come in a variety of cartoonish colors, could be spotted from orbit, and cannot simply be dispatched with one tenth the contents of a typical rifle magazine.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Bobart RobskyBobart Robsky Registered User regular
    Don't let this comic discourage you. I was ranked in the top 5 in the msot recent Twisted Metal game when I was in my 30s. That game was not unpopular. There is no need for self-directed ageism; they are video games... it is like golf -- it's a sport where there can be older champions.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Geth detected banned alias
    Reason: kedinik

Obsolete technology serves no purpose here.
    Bobart Robsky

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    you forgot the surge/redbull/mountain dew supply they are hopped up on tycho.