As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sadgasm's Sketchbook And Doodles

SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodlerA cold placeRegistered User regular
Decided I wanted to start up a thread here as well and post some of my art for public ridicul- I mean, criticism. Here's a selection of some of my sketches, mostly horror-themed stuff.

btb5m48pa55c.jpg

cjka9azydwys.jpg

q6h6b9752f99.jpg

lihqv09nuv72.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey dude! Welcome!

I like these sketches, though some are easier to read than others.

It might help with critiques if you tell us a bit more about what your goals are. Are you a hobbyist, are you hoping to get into illustration or comics more seriously? Do you have anything particular you want to work towards?

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Hey dude! Welcome!

I like these sketches, though some are easier to read than others.

It might help with critiques if you tell us a bit more about what your goals are. Are you a hobbyist, are you hoping to get into illustration or comics more seriously? Do you have anything particular you want to work towards?

I already do comics seriously, but they're mostly in a three-panel format, my goal for this thread is to post art I do more in terms of illustration, and it'll be mostly sketches with the occasional finished piece. My goal is to improve as much as possible with just black-and-white art, my personal preference.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cool, looking forward to seeing more! I feel like just sketches aren't the best place to start to give a well rounded critique. Its hard to know whats closer to what you consider "finished" and whats just rough. My only comment would be to look into a big fat copic marker, or an ink brush pen, so that you can make smooth areas of black for those large fills.

Improving skills with black&white is a noble pursuit, and pretty classic for horror. Its also one of those traditional spaces where considering what material you are using, and why, can really help give you more refined results.

Well, as an example, here's a finished illustration I did of Lovecraft's The Shunned House. It's not a particularly complex piece or anything, and I mostly made it to practice crosshatching, but it's done.

k2hlm1zx75yy.jpg

omcorlr1qahc.jpg

c87w992djy4a.jpg

Some comic sketches today, Professor Pyg from Batman and The Dark Judges from Judge Dredd

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    I really like what's going on here. I feel like you could experiment more with different weighted lines to emphasize certain areas. Maybe it's your stylistic choice to use a single line width, but a lot of the finer details and interesting bits get lost in the general cross-hatched shading when everything has the same weight.

bombardier wrote: »
    I really like what's going on here. I feel like you could experiment more with different weighted lines to emphasize certain areas. Maybe it's your stylistic choice to use a single line width, but a lot of the finer details and interesting bits get lost in the general cross-hatched shading when everything has the same weight.

No, you're probably right, sometimes I lose track of the lineart and I drew the damn thing, it's just not something I ever incorporated into my style. It's something to work on though.

ckd1kx1704o6.jpg

More Lovecraft art, this i for The Outsider.

• CarnalStateCarnalState Registered User regular
    I love The Outsider. Reread it every once in a while.

I love The Outsider. Reread it every once in a while.

It's pretty good, even if you can see the twist coming a mile away.

3lbyck5vm1gj.jpg

Sketch of Leatherface

Have you watched Nightbreed? I feel like you could do some good takes on it.

Have you watched Nightbreed? I feel like you could do some good takes on it.

What, that Clive Barker/Cronenberg thing?

On a side note, in this past year I've been getting into graffiti art (on legal walls only btw), and here's the tag I've been using

8h2hk612avn8.jpg

Yeah that movie, anyway the monsters would look cool in your style, I think.

28a3cyk2zoeh.jpg

A page of sketches I made of various Stephen King villains

bub7g6818lx0.jpg
    Drawing based on the Lovecraft story Cool Air

r1n3o8d6iau4.jpg
    Freddy Kruger sketch

le3sy1vlc8bw.jpg
    I'm a big fan of the web novel Worm. Or more accuratly, I'm a big fan of the setting, and the first half of the novel. I read a lot of the fan stories based on the setting. This is an illustration I made of three of the major villains from the first part of the novel, the Endbringers; Leviathan, Behemoth and The Simurgh.

nbzpdxem92t2.jpg

Illustration of Worm villains Slaughterhouse 9

• LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    jesus this is cool/terrifying

sx0qie1wouod.jpg

Page of sketches of the creatures on Gravity Falls

x24p704dgwpy.jpg

Decided to start posting my comics here too

sq6xasbu18jv.jpg

Stephen Kings novels wouldnt have a plot if everyone in them werent either drunk, high or trying to not be drunk and high

zcx6iep092t7.jpg

If terrible syndicated tv shows have taught us anything its that you can always revive viewer interest by introducing an obnoxious and superfluous kid character, usually because any kids you already had on the show hit puberty and started looking all gross and gangly.

v6oxxt64p3zc.jpg

I'm a big fan of the art from the original Shadow Of the Beast. Not so much the gameplay

6sqd1yzdhnp7.jpg

This isnt fictional in any way, the three characters in that middle panel were 100% real. Captain Battle, Flag-Man, and Lone Warrior were all considered to be worth publishing back in the 40's. And this isnt even scraping the surface of some of the goofy shit they printed back then.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Hey! I like the style you've got going on here. Very unique.

A few quick recommendations: If you don't do it already I'd highly suggest doing some figure studies to really lock down your understanding of the human form. Having a good foundation in figure drawing will really help you exaggerate and "break" proportions thus making your characterizations feel more real. Your actual bodies are pretty solid but the faces could probably use a little more structure.

As far as working in ink I'd say try doing less scratchy lines. They're effective in places but if used too much you end up with backgrounds and foregrounds and characters all blending together and making the scene hard to read. Try working in some solid blacks and thinking about where your lines are going to best ensure they don't bleed together.

Juggernut wrote: »
    Hey! I like the style you've got going on here. Very unique.

A few quick recommendations: If you don't do it already I'd highly suggest doing some figure studies to really lock down your understanding of the human form. Having a good foundation in figure drawing will really help you exaggerate and "break" proportions thus making your characterizations feel more real. Your actual bodies are pretty solid but the faces could probably use a little more structure.

As far as working in ink I'd say try doing less scratchy lines. They're effective in places but if used too much you end up with backgrounds and foregrounds and characters all blending together and making the scene hard to read. Try working in some solid blacks and thinking about where your lines are going to best ensure they don't bleed together.

Good advice. I have noticed faces are difficult, though it's been more that I have trouble making varied ones. Probably should do some studies.

k1vug8fv0fpp.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Tick animated series from the 90's. I also like the original comic series, but the comics had a very different tone from the cartoon. Not quite as big a difference as between the TMNT comics and cartoon, but still

So, a while back I read Daniel Clowe's classic "Art School Confidential", and it made me want to do a homage/parody/shameless plagiarism of it. Art School Confidential is just as relevant now as it was when it was first published, and while I doubt my version is anywhere near as identifiable, I tried to capture atleast parts of what made it great.

2yuty5yvfxy1.jpg

98iwdoyyj0aw.jpg

xvpqjbysvalu.jpg

z2gyslclhmhb.jpg

yi7xmurrj1dq.jpg

As someone who doesnt drink coffee, or any type of hot drinks for that matter, the zeal of which the beverage is treated can be baffling. There's something deceased about a culture where hot bean water is a symbol of status.

uuab9c508qk9.jpg

Drawing of the classic Sinister Six lineup from Spiderman

af720y5rn4go.jpg

Classic Universal World Of Darkness sketch

• JaysonEmrsJaysonEmrs Registered User new member
    These sketches are really cool, I like the style. I wish to create something in an original manner, but I still learn how to draw sketches, when Ihave time after my college study. I would like to inject something metaphorical in my sketches, like here (that's not mine)

Easy-Drawings-Animals-Step-Step-Also-Easy-Drawings-Butterfly-With-Easy-Drawings-And-Steps.jpg

To complete such stressful task as thesis easily, find help at https://writemyessayonline.com/write-my-thesis.html
    9wiqurw01lts.jpg

Darkseid sketch

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nice stuff in this thread!

On your latest, the way you have the BG and the character crop out confused me for a second. I couldn't make out the background on the quick read, it took me looking closer to understand what was going on. I think because they crop out on the same line, it looked like a tangent at first. it kills the depth too.

Hope that helps!

mgunm1snrk8q.jpg

Vintage X-Men villains sketch. This one didnt turn out nearly as good as I had hoped and took too long to make. Oh well.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    That magneto is dope.

Sleep wrote: »
    That magneto is dope.

Thanks, that seems to be the most popular part of the sketch, I've gotten the same response on the other places I posted this on.

g0di3d261bb1.jpg

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nice! Kind of to echo my same crit as last time, I think the way you have the BG is really awkward.

He kind of looks like he's coming through a portal? But if so, it needs to be more clear. Kind of like this.

Paintover_01.png

If you didn't mean to make it look like he's coming through a portal, that needs to be clear too. As it is now, I can't tell what your intention was, which is kind of the problem

Hope that helps!!

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    This has a very cool indie comics feel to it.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/