As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Sythns kind of just get good bonuses to everything. Specializing them doesn't do much

• Options
    I did have some good luck with a super migration friendly empire. It helped a ton to have a base race that was highly adaptable. So i could at least get a foothold in non preferable planets and let other places migrants settle them

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So it comes out in a week

we should start organizing to play a game with forumers now

so we can presumably get one started by 2019 :P

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So it comes out in a week

we should start organizing to play a game with forumers now

so we can presumably get one started by 2019 :P

I mean, we started pulling something together in the last thread; perhaps we can pull that over?

I wouldn't mind some time to get my feet planted in the new mechanics first but if we all want to jump right in, that's fair too.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I think jumping right in would be the fairest way to go so no one has 'the strategy'

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    personally I find the game at its most enjoyable when I'm stumbling around with a bunch of other nerds learning the new mechanics and politicking badly. Accurate representation of chosen political system in game optional.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    * It is now possible to start a game with no other empires in it, but this will disable conquest victory

Huh. Starting with that, but with pre-FTL worlds cranked up to max would make for an interesting game.

Would be fun to be the ancient super advanced empire surrounded by upstarts for once.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    a5ehren wrote: »

News-to-me:
    * Ships will have XP and veteran ranks.

* +/- Unity production Traits

* Orbital hydroponics module is gone

* Pirates now continue to spawn after year 10

* Sensor range now measured in hyperlane jumps,

Which makes a cool sciencey sort of sense for FTL data transmission. (Also making that Enigmatic Engineering much more interesting. )

* Sensor Range is no longer displayed on the Galaxy Map

Wait, what?

#Starbases
    * Starbases have module slots (0/2/4/6/6) that can be filled out with different Modules such as Shipyards and Trading Hubs
    * Starbases have building slots (0/1/2/3/4) that can be filled out with different Buildings such as the Fleet Academy and the Nebula Refinery

This was something I was unclear on, I think I like it? Assuming the split is either because one group will have the more powerful effects, or one group allows multiples.

# Setup
    * Can now set when mid-game and end-game events will start at galaxy setup
    Weird, but ok.
    * Can now set overall speed at which tech and traditions are unlocked at galaxy setup
    :+1: I guess combined these make for good experimenting. You can probably spawn something to shoot at.

* Strike Craft now only exist as one entity, and are no longer split up between bombers and fighters.
    This is nice, didn't like having to make that decision because it was impossible to tell if a fighter screen was a net gain or loss on average. (Via distracting PDS)

* Becoming Federation President now requires an empire to own at least 10% of a Federation's total planets, OR at least half the number of planets of the largest member. Empires who do not fulfill this condition will be passed over for leadership.
    Might suck for talls trying to supplement their might with their diplomatcy, but the present could be annoying when you've got a half dozen single star rebels in it.

* Looks like a nice buff to Driven Assimilators. Bonus research amd Unity upon pop assimilation, option to deem cyborgs acceptable and some associated benefits.

* Fertile trait now also increases unity output by 10% and other species happiness by 5%
    * Erudite trait effect on leader level cap increased from 1 to 2
    * Robust trait gene point cost reduced from 6 to 4, and also increases all pop output by 5%

!!! Those are huge. Those were all already awesome traits. Especially knocking down the Robust cost. (+Hab, +++Lifespan)
    * Gene-modding a species will now also modify an appropriate portion of owned colony ships with that species

Sure, why not. I don't tend to have them laying around though.

* AE's get their research speed halved. (Ha!)

* World Shaper now has a tech requirement, and only unlocks Gaia transformation. No teraforming speed bonus.

Sounds like it sucks now, unless Gaia's are considerably more amazing?

* Voidborne now only requires Star Fortress technology
    * Habitat Labs effect on research output reduced from 3/3/3 to 2/2/2

* Living Metal now gives -20% Megastructure Build Cost instead of +30% Megastructure Build Speed

Ok.. I guess. Cost has never been my real issue with them.

* Cost of Higher living standards now contribute net benefit to something other than RP flavor.

* Removed Mineral Silo buildings from the game, and is now instead a starbase building

:+1:

3 questions, have I:

* Ship upkeep is now 1% of cost in minerals, and 0.5% of cost in energy

What was it before?

What is a "planetary ring"? (A new mod trigger can check if a planet has one)

What is a "self-modified species"?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I think thats when your colonists spontaneously change their world preference.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Can't wait for the "real" version of the patch notes ...

• Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Is this an event? Never seen/noticed it

• Options
    I did have some good luck with a super migration friendly empire. It helped a ton to have a base race that was highly adaptable. So i could at least get a foothold in non preferable planets and let other places migrants settle them

This is a thing I've never tried, too much of a control freak about letting suboptimal pops work my tiles.

What's the play there? Go super wide, over extending yourself growth-wise, but letting migrants shore it up?

Hmm. If you shit out a bunch of habitats, could you depopulate a lesser empire, or are there pop minimums that switch off migration?

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Completely unknown star systems can now only first be entered by science ships staffed with scientist leaders. Interesting.

Will you slow down and maybe survey each system in turn, or haemorrhage influence to send out a bunch of nerds to allay (or confirm) fears of giant space dragons your superstitious military fleets may have?

Edit: "Leaders now cost 200 energy to hire instead of 50 influence" Nevermind, then!

EvmaAlsar on
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Can't wait for the "real" version of the patch notes ...

Already out!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/7xr6td/patch_20_cherryh_notes_what_they_actually_mean/
    DESIGNERS' NOTE
    • Everything you previously learned about the game is wrong now. Good luck.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Is this an event? Never seen/noticed it

Yeah, it only happens when you put your primary pops on a planet with low habitablity.

Once you get the first gene mod tech, there is a chance that some of them will modify themselves, changing their habitablity to the planet's type and semi-randomizing their traits. If you aren't xenophile, they will also kill some of the normal pops on the planet and eventually become Strong and Fast Breeders as well.

It's kinda annoying, unless you are going Bio Ascension, because they would also use up their normal allotment of trait points in doing so, and because they were a sub-species, there was no easy way to marginalize/get rid of them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    * Becoming Federation President now requires an empire to own at least 10% of a Federation's total planets, OR at least half the number of planets of the largest member. Empires who do not fulfill this condition will be passed over for leadership.

Neat, now you can make a federation with a bunch of small empires(say, that you liberated) and declare yourself president forever.
    * Resettlement now costs energy instead of influence

Hurray, it may now actually be useful.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Life-Seeded civic starts your entire civilization having grown up in the upper middle class suburbs of Kansas City, Kansas with everything provided for them, leaving them completely unable to take care of themselves when they finally move away for college and decide to become video game journalists.

Post-Apocalyptic civic starts your entire civilization having grown up in the upper middle class suburbs of Kansas City, Kansas with everything provided for them, leaving them completely unable to take care of themselves when they finally move away for college and decide to become video game journalists. (Same background as Life-Seeded but this is a bit further along in that timeline when you're living in San Francisco and eating sauce packets from fast food restaurants because you made poor life choices.)

I spy a GB fan...

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Oh dear, I have been subscribed to the patch note thread on their forum. My poor inbox!

Fake edit: Oh, it just emails you when there are unread posts, not every post. That's ok.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sorry DarkPrimus you were beaten to the punch!

As for the notes, damn, this is nearly an overhaul to the game. I'm glad Armor was changed to an additional layer of HP like Shields.

• Options
    finnith wrote: »
    Life-Seeded civic starts your entire civilization having grown up in the upper middle class suburbs of Kansas City, Kansas with everything provided for them, leaving them completely unable to take care of themselves when they finally move away for college and decide to become video game journalists.

Post-Apocalyptic civic starts your entire civilization having grown up in the upper middle class suburbs of Kansas City, Kansas with everything provided for them, leaving them completely unable to take care of themselves when they finally move away for college and decide to become video game journalists. (Same background as Life-Seeded but this is a bit further along in that timeline when you're living in San Francisco and eating sauce packets from fast food restaurants because you made poor life choices.)

I spy a GB fan...

He was actually writing about himself: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/7xr6td/patch_20_cherryh_notes_what_they_actually_mean/duaomv9/

It's uncanny, though.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Abbalah wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    The Sauce wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    I see you call Stellaris a 4X in the OP

*gets powerpoint presentation on why it is a grand strategy game ready*
    4X is a subset of grand strategy, so the OP indirectly called it a grand strategy game already :)

Or are you suggesting that Stellaris lacks one or more of the X's and is thus a grand strategy that is not also 4X?

Until I can marry off a son I hate to a rival empire then conspire to kill all my misbegotten grandchildren from his issue until I approve of one, who I can then support against him, I am firmly in the 4X camp.

EU4 doesn’t do any of those things and allows for a great deal of more traditional 4X gameplay (world conquest runs for example) than CK2 and is still considered a grand strategy game. Stellaris is both a 4X and a grand strategy and I think this is the only forum where that’s a remotely controversial notion. The dichotomy, it is false.

I think the terms are distinct in the sense that 'grand strategy' as a genre is useful specifically for identifying large-scale strategy games that are not traditional 4x's and differentiating the two from each other, which makes 'it's both!' a pretty unhelpful way to describe anything about a game.

But even if you don't agree with the distinction, 4x would still be a subset of the grand strategy genre; a 'grand strategy' game has you take control of something approximating a nation and dictate its economic, social, and military development towards a particular goal in a way that may or may not involve the 4 x's, and a '4x' has you do exactly the same thing but specifically in a context that does involve the 4 x's - every 4x game is also a grand strategy game, in the same way that every square is also a rectangle.

Which means that even in a framing that doesn't consider the terms useful only as mutually exclusive identifiers, 'it's not just a 4x, it's both a 4x and a grand strategy game' would be akin to saying 'it's not just a first-person shooter, it's a first-person shooter and a shooter!' or 'it's not just a square, it's a square and a rectangle!'. It might be technically accurate, but it's a redundant use of a less-specific term.

What...are you basing this on exactly? Literally no definition I can find on the internet defines 4X as a subset of grand strategy, rather both are typically defined as subsets of strategy. This frankly feels like you're constructing an argument backwards towards a presupposed conclusion.

The notion that genres are nebulously defined and without any particular academic rigor isn't really a controversial notion if that's your point of contention. For most people's purposes, grand strategy seems to mostly just be used as a very vague way to indicate something is "like Crusader Kings 2 and/or EU4" in casual conversation near as I can tell, and what PARTS of those they're referring to varies wildly.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I haven't seen a debate go this long about game semantics that didn't involve actual game rules.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I would say that one side chooses the time and place and the other the weapon, but that is not how cassus belli and warscore work...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I would say that one side chooses the time and place and the other the weapon, but that is not how cassus belli and warscore work...

Well the Pedant civic allows one to use "Statement not technically correct in all cases" as a casus belli, so we're half way there.

• Options

This is a thing I've never tried, too much of a control freak about letting suboptimal pops work my tiles.

What's the play there? Go super wide, over extending yourself growth-wise, but letting migrants shore it up?

Hmm. If you shit out a bunch of habitats, could you depopulate a lesser empire, or are there pop minimums that switch off migration?

It was 90% about going tall by taking over every single habitable planet i could regardless of climate without bothering to terraform

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018

It was 90% about going tall by taking over every single habitable planet i could regardless of climate without bothering to terraform

I've had good luck with a similar strategy, yeah. You just settle the biggest / least-painful-to-clear ones and let inhabitants come to you.

E: It'll be harder with the new not-crazy Mastery of Nature, though.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    OMG I AM DYING ...
    The Joel's Republic of Joel, a single-sapient microstate on the surface of the asteroid J-6108 (locally known as "J03L"), will no longer be permitted to nominate a candidate for the rotating Federation presidency.

Corvettes have been prohibited from making solo jumps to unexplored space after Joel Leary, fmr. Midshipman (Dishonorably Discharged) commandeered an interceptor and used it to establish a single-sapient microstate on the surface of the asteroid J-6108 (locally known as "J03L").

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Yeah, I had this happen. Built a whole bunch of habitats, had really friendly open border policies. Essentially, as soon as they built, they were populated with immigrants. It was pretty great, as my population growth was essentially limited by my ability to build new habitats

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Yeah, I had this happen. Built a whole bunch of habitats, had really friendly open border policies. Essentially, as soon as they built, they were populated with immigrants. It was pretty great, as my population growth was essentially limited by my ability to build new habitats

I think 2-3 of mine filled up with refugees from the exact species I wanted after some robots put their increasingly whittled-down state out of its misery lasy game.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    OMG I AM DYING ...
    The Joel's Republic of Joel, a single-sapient microstate on the surface of the asteroid J-6108 (locally known as "J03L"), will no longer be permitted to nominate a candidate for the rotating Federation presidency.

Corvettes have been prohibited from making solo jumps to unexplored space after Joel Leary, fmr. Midshipman (Dishonorably Discharged) commandeered an interceptor and used it to establish a single-sapient microstate on the surface of the asteroid J-6108 (locally known as "J03L").

I would refuse to recognize Joel's sovereignty and send a task force to reclaim or scuttle that corvette. That corvette is navy property and stealing it is a capital offense.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I like the ability to start games without any other space-faring civs a WHOLE lot.

Will let me just fucking colonize everything in order to try and actually deal with an end-game crisis for once.

Alternatively, crank up the pre-FTL civilization numbers like whoa, and play the role of Fallen Empire for a change.

• Options
    OMG I AM DYING ...

I would refuse to recognize Joel's sovereignty and send a task force to reclaim or scuttle that corvette. That corvette is navy property and stealing it is a capital offense.

I am choosing to interpret "capital offense" as "splendid misappropriation"

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Scientists and the public were puzzled today by the alien text carved by an orbital laser discovered on the surface of Trion V that roughly translates to "I am laughing out loud because I was here before you."

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Scientists and the public were puzzled today by the alien text carved by an orbital laser discovered on the surface of Trion V that roughly translates to "I am laughing out loud because I was here before you."

I believe one of the Mass Effect games had a planet something along that line.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Aww no more mind control lasers.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Aww no more mind control lasers.

Wha?

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I like that the unofficial patchnotes specify that Waldetoft remains an international treasure.

(I might have bought one of the expansions sight unseen because I knew it had more of his music in it.)

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Would it be against the principles of the Federation to declare war on the Romulans because they keep sabotaging my shit?

Sometimes you need to represent. Picard wouldn't put up with that bs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt6ov5CknYg